Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jennie

Keeping Lunches Cold

I know there are a lot of people that work outdoors in this heat. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping their lunches cold especially if kept in a work truck with no shade. And any ideas other than sandwiches? We do use an insulated bag with 3 ice packs and worried food isn't staying cold especially in this heat. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I looked up yeti products but their coolers are expensive. I've never seen anything that does the job like yeti. Pretty amazing. Just not sure if you would be the market for them cause of the $$$$$.

Maybe the crew could pitch in for one?

Good luck.

Yes the yeti is expensive we use a soft sided insulated cooler and it has a plastic insert in it so the food doesn't get squished wonder if a hard cooler like coleman would work better, but with the heat it probably would not make a difference unless a yeti was used. Thanks

I survived going to elementary school with a tin lunch box that sat on the window sill in full sun in the classroom. Lunch time and the tuna samich was awesome, although the tater chips were a little moist and soft.

• Like 1

I would get one of those hard small, medium coolers and put some of those hard plastic ice blocks under and over the sandwiches (and put the sandwiches in a flat plastic bowl to keep them from getting mushy). My boys do this all the time and don't have a problem. You can even use frozen water bottles and you have your drink! I am a fan of wrapping the ice in paper towels to control some of the melting and sweating.

thanks tbird. I do wrap the sandwiches in a paper towel and put in a ziplock bag. I pack a few gatorades have you ever froze the gatorades? Will try the bowl also and wrap the ice packs too. Good ideas thanks!

If you are interested, There is a small refrigerated box that will run off the vehicles battery. They do a good job and aren't as costly as a Yeti.

thanks JYD any information on this item.

Put a thermometer in the sandwich bag and see how cold your current method is keeping the food.

45-45F will keep mayonaise safe.

thanks surepip I will see about getting one to throw in.

I get one of my medicines in a small styrofoam cooler with some dry ice, ice packs (I may not be using the correct word). One day I went to the Atlanta Zoo with my granddaughters school class. I took our lunches in a cooler and used the ice packs from my medicine, I made the ham sandwiches at the zoo, in the parking lot. The ice packs were so cold, the lunch meat that was directly underneath the ice packs were frozen!!! I use these quite often. If we know that we are going to the grocery store and it's hot, we will use these to keep our dairy/meat items cold!

thanks Mrs. G I was wondering about dry ice do you get yours a publix or somewhere else?

thanks Mrs. G I was wondering about dry ice do you get yours a publix or somewhere else?

Don't use dry ice. It will freeze everything in a very short period of time. It will make drinks explode. Also dry ice in a small enclosed area like a car or truck cab can and will deplete oxygen if handled wrong. I work with dry ice shipping medical specimens and we follow strick rules regarding its use.

• Like 2

thanks 2013HOG dry ice will not be used. I did freeze his gatorade this morning so waiting to hear from him when he comes home as to if it was any better. Thanks to everyone for tips and suggestions!

I used the frozen water bottles quite often when we work at the hunting club in the summer. I use several frozen ones with several just cooled ones.

By the time I've finished the cooled ones, the frozen ones have usually melted.

• Like 1

My husband use to have a hard shell cooler in his truck, with gallons of frozen water, (it does not melt as fast when it is 100 degrees) he would put his lunch in a lunch box/bag and sit it on the frozen water in the cooler, he would also use 2 litter bottles filled with frozen water, and freeze his drinks, and sit them out while he was working and they stayed cold. but i would use a bowl with a seal tight lid, to keep sandwich dry.

thanks The Sound Guy and Lady Raider more great ideas!

thanks krwills!