Paulding.com

I have used Kenmore appliances for years. Washers/dryers/stoves/dishwashers/etc. Had a RCA...yep RCA dishwasher for 20+ years. Well I finally got tired of repairing little things that were gradually going bad so I decided to buy a new one. Looked around thought about it and decided I would go with a known product, Kenmore. It has a one year warranty. Installed it and after about two weeks it started siphoning grey water into the tub (dishwasher tub not bath tub). I am a contractor, not a plumber but a contractor none the less. Lovely bride decides hubby probably should have called a plumber. Totally disagreed but what say do I have. Called an appliance man. He went over it with a fine tooth comb and gave the thumbs up on the install but said he was not a plumber either. End result it still siphons. Lovely bride decides neither I (30+ yrs experience) nor appliance man (20 +yrs experience) are plumbers. So you know the drill, I call a plumber. To shorten the post, refer to the description of the appliance man. Plumber says the install is better than he would have done, no plumbing issues in drain system. Call Sears. We can send a service tech between 8am and 5 pm on a given day. Seriously 8-5, ole Stonewalls BP around 130/80. Stonewall who has an office in the house volunteers to wait on this clown. Wait is the key word. 4:45 get a call I have one more call and then will head toward you. BP 145/90. Skip to 5:45, Forrest Gump arrives. Forrest brings in his laptop and reads verbatim how to install a dishwasher. Forrest has no tools in his possession, finds nothing wrong according to verbatim web site. Forrest agrees the is gray water in the tub. Forrest agrees the plumbing and install are according to the web site. Forrest disagrees that there is any problem with the Kenmore appliance. BP 160/120. Stonewall MF's Forrest request he take his lap top and get the hell off of Stonewall Farms, immediately. Forrest run Forrest runs off SW Farms. SW calls Sears customer no service and ask for manager. Obnoxious Yankee Hillary type states nothing Sears can do. BP 180/160. SW MF's Yankee hag and demands a supervisor/department head/ president/ CEO, Hilary puts him on hold. SW is still on hold. KOSA Sears last time SW will darken their doors.

• Like 1

Don't get me started on appliances.

I've had 5 service calls on my Whirlpool Refrigerator in the last 3 years.

Sears never made their Kenmore appliances, Whirlpool did and branded it Kenmore, but they no longer manufacture for Kenmore.

Below is a link to find who actually makes your appliance.

Dishwashers

Bosch and [Whirlpool] manufacture Kenmore's dishwashers.

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5003556_who-makes-kenmore-appliances.html

I had a Kenmore W&D set for over 20 years. I now have a Whirlpool set I've had for at least 15 years.

I dread the day I have to buy a new washer, because they just don't build things to last.

I've learned on major appliance purchases to buy the extra warranty, which is what I did on this refrigerator. It would have cost me a fortune for 5 service calls and 2 ice maker replacements without it.

I wanted to say it's because everything is made in China, but from what I can find, Whirlpool is still manufactured in the United States.

I hope you find the source of your problem.

Though I have no love for Kenmore or Whirlpool, both of which are on my "never again" list because of issues I've had with two refrigerators in a row; this is probably not the fault of your dishwasher.

First thing to do is to make sure your sink drain is completely clear. Any resistance in the drain will aggravate this problem.

Next, the method in the link Rockysmom posted is one possible solution. Even better, and required by code now in many areas, is what is referred to as an "air gap". It's basically a check valve that opens to allow air to flow back to the dishwasher which will break the siphon, but not water. It looks like this:

MT400U.jpg

I would recommend installing one of these.

• Like 1

Agree that it's all of them.

When we built in 2000, we installed all GE appliances in the kitchen, fairly high end.

Stovetop has one burner you have to wave at to get it to start burning. (have learned to love the smell of burn hair)

Dishwasher does well until it goes insane and all the LEDs start counting in binary every time you push any button. Have to power it down and up at the breaker box to get it back. Did have to replace one part a few years ago, but as much as we use it, I wasn't too upset.

GE over/under convection oven has been a nightmare. Had the repair people out 4 times during the warranty period because of overheat codes on the controller. Guy finally told me not to run both ovens at the same. Excuse me, why the heck have a double oven then???? About 2 years later I was removing the door to check something myself and noticed there is a second cooling fan in between the ovens and a piece of tape that holds the wires had come loose and managed to get sucked into the fan and stopped it. Took the tape off an never had another overheat. Why the idiots they kept sending didn't check the fan I have no idea. Then there is the door switch. The upper one controls the light and the fan. I've had at least 5 of them melt and stick in the "FAN ON" position. Nothing like getting a face full of 400 degree air when you open the door to see how it's doing.

We replaced the refrigerator 8 or 9 years ago and again got a high end GE model (should have known better, but in my defence, most of the other stuff happened just after we got the fridge. ) I've already had to replace the entire Icemaker assembly because it fell apart leaving little pieces of plastic in the ice, both ice maker trays will randomly stick in the "crushed" position and i have to remove the tray to adjust the control manually and the water dispenser bottle freezes up sometimes and finally burst, giving me a fun time replacing it.

Don't get me started on the crooks that do the Maytag repair.... Sold my wife a $400 controller that wasn't needed while I was out of town "because it has a code on it". The #$%^% code was NF for "Not Filled" because a $30 valve had broken.

Arrrggg..

And the difference is.....

In 1950 when I was born my mother bought my grandmother a new Frigidaire refrigerator. It has never broken down and still runs to this day.

Those days are over.

Not all, but part of that is because of government regulations.

To better explain what is happening...

When your dishwasher is in operation it's using very hot water, so the inside temperature is very warm. Being a new and modern dishwasher, the door seals pretty air tight. when the cycle is over and the inside temperature cools, it forms a vacuum which causes any water in the drain line to be sucked back into the dishwasher.

The air gap I pictured above will open and allow the dishwasher to suck air in to break the vacuum.

First, I have no suggestions on how to correct your problem, but I hope one of those suggested here works for you.

Second, don't take this wrong, but I laughed the whole way through your post.

Partly because you wrote it humorously, but mainly because of your interaction with your wife.

I found that part of your story hilarious.

Why?

Because I've met you.

You're a good size guy, not someone I would want to tangle with.

Yet, like all good men, even when you are 99.99% sure you know what you're doing and talking about, when your wife puts her foot down, you do as she asks.

What I'm saying is, I soooo relate, and, while I have always had a high respect for you, that respect has increased.

Nothing says, I am a real man, than a man who does as his wife asks, when she is serious about that request.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

Ohhhhh, I also tip my hat to you for not stuffing Forest in the dishwasher and letting him get a bird's eye view of the problem.

Great post!

Good luck getting the problem resolved.

I can be on your side. We recently bought a high end MAYTAG dish washer, it was installed by the seller and it wouldn't drain completely or dry. Maytag sent service out who said it is installed wrong you must get a plumber to fix the drain. We called a plumber $150 later the drain was rerouted. It still won't dry so call Maytag. They come back and say the vent in the door must be stopped up. Yep cleared vent and everything is OK. Still won't dry so Maytag now says out of warranty and no records of service ever coming. Local service man comes out checks everything out says it is OK and charges $75. STILL DON'T DRY !!!!

OK here is the latest. In order for Sears Roebuck to even think about backing their warranty, SW must have a second opinion. I am not counting but I am on my fourth second opinion at this time. So SR ignores SW, bad move. Enter Mrs. SW. Mrs. SW calls over the weekend. During the call SR decides to have a second opinion technician at the house today between 8 am and 10 am. Not between 8-5. He shows up at 8:15 am. This guy lets call him Goober as he is a step above Forrest from last Friday, actually looks at the dishwasher. Goober decides the check valve in the dishwasher is defective and replaces it. So far so good. Why in the Hell does this company operate like this? Goober admits the newer dishwashers are crap compared to my 21 year old one. Why should we have to accept that is the way things are? Although my installation was vindicated why didn't Forrest do his freaking job? Why am I an ass for MFing these bozos? Forrest was pretty much brain dead so I have no ill will but the freaking companies policies drove the piss poor customer service. If I had of taken Forrest at his word I would have still had the same issues with a warrantied unit with no warranty.

I appreciate the input from the rest of you on this subject. I had already performed due diligence on the installation before the first call to Forrest. I will go off like a Saturn Five rocket but usually after I am sure I am in the right or at least somewhat informed on a subject.

Stradial, one does not stay married 31 years to the same woman without setting ground rules as to who wears the pants. She looks damn good in jeans.

Thanks y'all.

• Like 3

Glad Goober got it working properly.

Congrats on the 30+ yr marriage, but I am surprised.

I thought you were in your late 30's at the most.

At times I've asked people who know the wife and I, who wears the pants in our house?

Not one person ever said me. :(

Glad Goober got it working properly.

Congrats on the 30+ yr marriage, but I am surprised.

I thought you were in your late 30's at the most.

At times I've asked people who know the wife and I, who wears the pants in our house?

Not one person ever said me. :(

The cats?

I have used Kenmore appliances for years. Washers/dryers/stoves/dishwashers/etc. Had a RCA...yep RCA dishwasher for 20+ years. Well I finally got tired of repairing little things that were gradually going bad so I decided to buy a new one. Looked around thought about it and decided I would go with a known product, Kenmore. It has a one year warranty. Installed it and after about two weeks it started siphoning grey water into the tub (dishwasher tub not bath tub). I am a contractor, not a plumber but a contractor none the less. Lovely bride decides hubby probably should have called a plumber. Totally disagreed but what say do I have. Called an appliance man. He went over it with a fine tooth comb and gave the thumbs up on the install but said he was not a plumber either. End result it still siphons. Lovely bride decides neither I (30+ yrs experience) nor appliance man (20 +yrs experience) are plumbers. So you know the drill, I call a plumber. To shorten the post, refer to the description of the appliance man. Plumber says the install is better than he would have done, no plumbing issues in drain system. Call Sears. We can send a service tech between 8am and 5 pm on a given day. Seriously 8-5, ole Stonewalls BP around 130/80. Stonewall who has an office in the house volunteers to wait on this clown. Wait is the key word. 4:45 get a call I have one more call and then will head toward you. BP 145/90. Skip to 5:45, Forrest Gump arrives. Forrest brings in his laptop and reads verbatim how to install a dishwasher. Forrest has no tools in his possession, finds nothing wrong according to verbatim web site. Forrest agrees the is gray water in the tub. Forrest agrees the plumbing and install are according to the web site. Forrest disagrees that there is any problem with the Kenmore appliance. BP 160/120. Stonewall MF's Forrest request he take his lap top and get the hell off of Stonewall Farms, immediately. Forrest run Forrest runs off SW Farms. SW calls Sears customer no service and ask for manager. Obnoxious Yankee Hillary type states nothing Sears can do. BP 180/160. SW MF's Yankee hag and demands a supervisor/department head/ president/ CEO, Hilary puts him on hold. SW is still on hold. KOSA Sears last time SW will darken their doors.

I am sorry you had such an issue, but I got to to tell you I enjoyed reading about your probelm.. :lol:

Smart ass. :blink:

Well yes, yes I am, thank you very much.

But, seriously you spent a lot of unnecessary money/time to have it fixed, you should ask for the money that was spent back. You went through a lot of time, and BS before they finally sent someone out who could fix the issue.

OK here is the latest. In order for Sears Roebuck to even think about backing their warranty, SW must have a second opinion. I am not counting but I am on my fourth second opinion at this time. So SR ignores SW, bad move. Enter Mrs. SW. Mrs. SW calls over the weekend. During the call SR decides to have a second opinion technician at the house today between 8 am and 10 am. Not between 8-5. He shows up at 8:15 am. This guy lets call him Goober as he is a step above Forrest from last Friday, actually looks at the dishwasher. Goober decides the check valve in the dishwasher is defective and replaces it. So far so good. Why in the Hell does this company operate like this? Goober admits the newer dishwashers are crap compared to my 21 year old one. Why should we have to accept that is the way things are? Although my installation was vindicated why didn't Forrest do his freaking job? Why am I an ass for MFing these bozos? Forrest was pretty much brain dead so I have no ill will but the freaking companies policies drove the piss poor customer service. If I had of taken Forrest at his word I would have still had the same issues with a warrantied unit with no warranty.

I appreciate the input from the rest of you on this subject. I had already performed due diligence on the installation before the first call to Forrest. I will go off like a Saturn Five rocket but usually after I am sure I am in the right or at least somewhat informed on a subject.

Stradial, one does not stay married 31 years to the same woman without setting ground rules as to who wears the pants. She looks damn good in jeans.

Thanks y'all.