Paulding.com

Got my first negative political flyer today in the mail.

Today's flyer was from Tom Graves. It actually had his name on it and talked about himself.

Nice change from yesterday's flyer. I need to check up on some of his claims, but hey, I like the positive tone at least.

Check out Mickey Tuck.

I get Graves newsletter via email.

Then I guess you got the Stop Trump and vote for Rubio letter he sent out a couple of days before the Primary in Georgia.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stoner medical oil? I've never heard of that. Medicinal cannabis oil is legal for certain ailments but it's not legal to buy or sell in Ga. Which obviously makes perfect sense. So basically, if a moth

I'm confused, is Boss Hog....I mean Howard Maxwell against medical cannabis oil? If so, what is his reasoning or does he even have reasons. Are they based on ignorance and fear? Is he really for ha

I do know her firsthand....actually sat on Paulding County School Board with her....Kathy West is the name. I know what i'm talking about.   Mr. Randy Cone, You did pull some immature, bully tactic

Posted Images

I have been a member of the Libertarian and Democrat parties. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.. I have been to a few Republican party meetings when there was a speaker of interest. I support the legalization of pot, oil, etc. but the issue is not of importance to me in the grand scheme of things. Its not in the top 10...

Thank goodness that you and your family members are

not suffering from a debilitating painful medical condition.

Not everyone is so lucky... :(

• Like 2

Stoner medical oil? I've never heard of that. Medicinal cannabis oil is legal for certain ailments but it's not legal to buy or sell in Ga. Which obviously makes perfect sense. So basically, if a mother has a child who suffers 100 seizures a day wants to give her kid cannabis oil in hopes of a better quality of life, she has to risk possible jail time. Oh, and cannibis oil doesn't get you high. I guess it's just too much trouble for some people to educate themselves before they speak.

• Like 9

I thought that the stoner medical oil was now legal for use in GA?

That really is an ignorant statement.

And I think it's the republicans trying to keep it out of Georgia.

But I could be wrong.

Stoner medical oil? I've never heard of that. Medicinal cannabis oil is legal for certain ailments but it's not legal to buy or sell in Ga. Which obviously makes perfect sense. So basically, if a mother has a child who suffers 100 seizures a day wants to give her kid cannabis oil in hopes of a better quality of life, she has to risk possible jail time. Oh, and cannibis oil doesn't get you high. I guess it's just too much trouble for some people to educate themselves before they speak.

That really is an ignorant statement.

And I think it's the republicans trying to keep it out of Georgia.

But I could be wrong.

I have to think that post was tongue in cheek.

I seriously doubt there is any rational, half way intelligent person that sincerely thinks or believes that medical cannabis oil has anything to do with getting high.

I know very very little about medical cannabis oil, thankfully, I've never had the need to learn, but even I, just by osmosis, know that medical cannabis oil is not a mind altering drug.

Like I said, I'm against the legalization of marijuana for smoking or eating, but to equate smoking pot with medical cannabis oil is as stupid as saying that you cannot have any anesthesia during surgery because the similar drugs are used to get high.

Ohhhh, I'm still waiting for someone to justify the Howard Maxwell flyer.

But I'm also happy to see that, apparently, everyone here realizes that there is no justification and that Howard Maxwell is a lowlife lier.

You know, it amazes me how some people, or organizations, seem to have people not connected with them, spend lots and lots of money, to support these individuals or the organization's causes, all without being asked to do so or even with the individual's or organization's knowledge.

Must be a LOT of people out there with a LOT of extra money and no desire to use it for themselves, take a trip, upgrade the kitchen, or even invest it for their kids and grandkids.

Unasked and without any knowledge of those they are spending large sums of money for, they pay for flyers to be printed and mailed out, they pay for billboard to be posted.

Now many people may find it hard to believe that people just spend big money in this way, without being asked or even discussing it with those who they are supporting, but come on, don't be so pessimistic, surely you have done the same thing or had it done for you.

No??

Really??

Not even once??

Huh...strange...now that I think of it, me neither.

• Like 3

Lindsey Tippens was the one on the Senate floor that objected to medical marijuana use in Georgia.

He wanted more studies done. There's no need for more studies. He just wanted his name in print, he doesn't give two hoots about cannabis oil helping very sick children and adults.

http://www.webmd.com/news/breaking-news/marijuana-on-main-street/medical-marijuana-colorado

Ezra suffered his first seizure at 3 days old.

He screamed, gyrated, turned purple. The strain on his body and mind left him unresponsive for hours. At 3 months, the seizures began to multiply, 300 to 500 a day.

Doctors pumped him full of medicines, which along with the near-constant seizures left him in a catatonic state, sleeping 21 hours a day. He went 4 months without crying.

But as he nears his second birthday, Ezra is down to fewer than 10 seizures a day. He is putting on weight. He holds his head up. He cries when he is hungry. He shows preferences for objects and colors. His dozen medications are down to one, and he is being weaned off that.

"He's like a totally different child," says his mother. "He's finally getting an infancy that he never had."

She credits a most unlikely drug: marijuana.

Kiser is among the hundreds of parents who have moved to Colorado in recent months or are planning to move to get access to a special strain of the plant. It is low in THC, the ingredient that gives users a "high," but high in cannabinoids, or CBD. That's the ingredient that has shown amazing results in reducing seizures with minimal side effects.

They are marijuana refugees, families who have moved hundreds or thousands of miles away from loved ones for a drug that remains illegal for recreational use in 48 states and on the federal level. Their stories have sparked efforts in many states to relax marijuana laws and spurred research into how the drug reduces seizures.

This former teacher from a Southern Baptist family in South Carolina is as surprised as anyone to be here.

Lindsey Tippens was the one on the Senate floor that objected to medical marijuana use in Georgia.

He wanted more studies done. There's no need for more studies. He just wanted his name in print, he doesn't give two hoots about cannabis oil helping very sick children and adults.

http://www.webmd.com/news/breaking-news/marijuana-on-main-street/medical-marijuana-colorado

Ezra suffered his first seizure at 3 days old.

He screamed, gyrated, turned purple. The strain on his body and mind left him unresponsive for hours. At 3 months, the seizures began to multiply, 300 to 500 a day.

Doctors pumped him full of medicines, which along with the near-constant seizures left him in a catatonic state, sleeping 21 hours a day. He went 4 months without crying.

But as he nears his second birthday, Ezra is down to fewer than 10 seizures a day. He is putting on weight. He holds his head up. He cries when he is hungry. He shows preferences for objects and colors. His dozen medications are down to one, and he is being weaned off that.

"He's like a totally different child," says his mother. "He's finally getting an infancy that he never had."

She credits a most unlikely drug: marijuana.

Kiser is among the hundreds of parents who have moved to Colorado in recent months or are planning to move to get access to a special strain of the plant. It is low in THC, the ingredient that gives users a "high," but high in cannabinoids, or CBD. That's the ingredient that has shown amazing results in reducing seizures with minimal side effects.

They are marijuana refugees, families who have moved hundreds or thousands of miles away from loved ones for a drug that remains illegal for recreational use in 48 states and on the federal level. Their stories have sparked efforts in many states to relax marijuana laws and spurred research into how the drug reduces seizures.

This former teacher from a Southern Baptist family in South Carolina is as surprised as anyone to be here.

Like you said, he is against it for personal gain, nothing else.

Again, if anyone who you consider to be intelligent enough to pour...water, out of a boot, says they are against medical cannabis oil, then they are doing so out of a personal agenda.

If you know for a fact that they have no personal agenda and truly believe that medical cannabis oil may be used to get high, then I would not trust them to do anything that requires enough intelligence to pour...water, out of a boot.

• Like 2

Well, got a positive (maybe) flyer today on Maxwell, but... he didn't send it.

Some outfit called "The Georgia coalition for Job Creation" in Atlanta sent it. Hmmm... so who are they and why is someone in ATL concerned about a PAULDING representative?

Doing a quick google on the corporate-funded Super PAC, it appears it is big business in the state is attempting to attack politicians that don't back their bills over their voters interests and give extra support to those politicians that do what they want rather than listening to their voters.

Their web site is totally useless: http://georgiacjc.com/

AJC article on it being formed a couple of years ago: http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/17/georgia-business-launches-a-sudden-campaign-aimed-at-the-state-capitol/

Ga Power sure is funding it nicely with the money you and I are paying in our electric bills: https://www.georgiapower.com/about-us/our-leadership/political-contributions.cshtml to the tune of $150,000.00 last year.

Interesting that they are backing Maxwell...

Here is one of the out of county PACs supporting Liberty, American Foundation for Children Action Fund Georgia Independent Committee. If you do some research on them it won't take you long to find the Koch brothers back there smiling. You will also find the connection to the Amercian Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). The same ALEC that has previously stated its purpose is "to introduce normal market forces" into education and to "dismantle the control and power of" teachers' unions by directing money from public institutions to private ones that were less likely to be unionized.

One of their main supporters when speaking to an audience in 2006 explained that vouchers are really a step towards "abolishing the public school system." He went onto say, "How do we get from where we are to where we want to be?"..."Of course, the ideal way would be to abolish the public school system and eliminate all the taxes that pay for it. Then parents would have enough money to pay for private schools, but you're not gonna do that."

I don’t know about the rest of you, but that is downright scary. Liberty homeschools her children and is supported by a group that calls for the dismantling of the public school system. Wacky weed is the least of my concerns with Liberty.

• Like 3

Howard Maxwell, Glen Richardson, Virginia Galloway, Paulette Rakestraw, and Theresa Lyons are all good buddies. ;)

I wouldn't say Theresa Lyons is a good old boy. She is fair and doesn't always side with all of them. Get to know her first before you judge.

I wouldn't say Theresa Lyons is a good old boy. She is fair and doesn't always side with all of them. Get to know her first before you judge.

I know her and love her as a person but she does not always know what she needs to about the budget nor about the system. Sorry but liking someone is not reason enough to vote to keep them in office. I will be voting for Steve Dutton.

• Like 2

Here is one of the out of county PACs supporting Liberty, American Foundation for Children Action Fund Georgia Independent Committee. If you do some research on them it won't take you long to find the Koch brothers back there smiling. You will also find the connection to the Amercian Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). The same ALEC that has previously stated its purpose is "to introduce normal market forces" into education and to "dismantle the control and power of" teachers' unions by directing money from public institutions to private ones that were less likely to be unionized.[/size]

One of their main supporters when speaking to an audience in 2006 explained that vouchers are really a step towards "abolishing the public school system." He went onto[/size] say, "How do we get from where we are to where we want to be?"..."Of course, the ideal way would be to abolish the public school system and eliminate all the taxes that pay for it. Then parents would have enough money to pay for private schools, but you're not gonna do that."

I don’t know about the rest of you, but that is downright scary. Liberty homeschools her children and is supported by a group that calls for the dismantling of the public school system. Wacky weed is the least of my concerns with Liberty.[/size]

Your funny.

Dumb, but funny.

• Like 1

Here is one of the out of county PACs supporting Liberty, American Foundation for Children Action Fund Georgia Independent Committee. If you do some research on them it won't take you long to find the Koch brothers back there smiling. You will also find the connection to the Amercian Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). The same ALEC that has previously stated its purpose is "to introduce normal market forces" into education and to "dismantle the control and power of" teachers' unions by directing money from public institutions to private ones that were less likely to be unionized.

One of their main supporters when speaking to an audience in 2006 explained that vouchers are really a step towards "abolishing the public school system." He went onto say, "How do we get from where we are to where we want to be?"..."Of course, the ideal way would be to abolish the public school system and eliminate all the taxes that pay for it. Then parents would have enough money to pay for private schools, but you're not gonna do that."

I don’t know about the rest of you, but that is downright scary. Liberty homeschools her children and is supported by a group that calls for the dismantling of the public school system. Wacky weed is the least of my concerns with Liberty.

Hmm interesting. Yea, I'm not a fan of vouchers, if you want your kids to get a better education, get involved with their school!!

All three of mine went to public school and they did fine. If you make them work at it, there are a lot of ways to get ahead in the county system.

I know her and love her as a person but she does not always know what she needs to about the budget nor about the system. Sorry but liking someone is not reason enough to vote to keep them in office. I will be voting for Steve Dutton.

I can understand if you are friends with Dutton but let’s look at the whole picture. Theresa knows far more about the budget than Dutton does. His entire debate appearance was one long stream of incorrect numbers and assumptions. He quoted the wrong dollar amounts on almost every aspect of the budget. And that's speaking from a prepared statement. I've had personal dealings with Theresa about the budget and she can quote chapter and verse on expenditures for budget issues going back to 2010 and can site accreditation meetings and findings all day. Dutton asked Theresa what qualifies her for the position. I was dumbfounded….I have to give Theresa credit for not laughing……”What makes her qualified to be on the board”? …Do you mean BESIDES doing it for the last eight years? LOL.

Theresa’s tenure on the board has seen accreditation ratings increase more since 2010 than ever before. Her tenure saw an economic crash that caused every other portion of the county to cut services and raise the millage rate. Not only did the board NOT raise the millage rate, they did so with increased student enrollment and lower tax revenue. On top of that, the board actually lived within their means (something politicians aren’t well known for), cut unnecessary spending and renegotiated vendor contracts to cut $55 million from their expenditures. I give this current board the credit due for their accomplishments. Actions speak louder than words. A salesman turned politician? Okay, how much salt is going to be needed to take THOSE campaign promises. I’ll stick with someone who’s already delivered versus someone who can’t get the facts straight in a statement that was prepared weeks in advance.

I understand that you may have to go back to Dutton to see how this needs to be addressed, but be aware that I am stating published facts and not opinion (links to the budget notes, accreditation notes and debate transcripts can easily be posted if needed). My OPINION is that Theresa has the character to continue being successful in this positon. The fact that she’s a true public servant is a verifiable fact. Based on past experience and what’s been observed here lately, Dutton doesn’t have the experience, background, knowledge (see the details above) nor character (THAT, is my opinion, your standards for honesty, character and hypocrisy may vary) to serve this county.

There’s one additional point I’d like to make. I am making these statements on a public forum in which my identification is readily available. I am NOT scurrying behind the scenes making untrue accusations behind anyone’s back. Everything I’m posting is readily available for everyone to read and I welcome any inquiries as to the details. You can vote for whomever you wish, just do so with your eyes wide open……I bought the sales pitch for a short time….. a lot of people did.

I can understand if you are friends with Dutton but let’s look at the whole picture. Theresa knows far more about the budget than Dutton does. His entire debate appearance was one long stream of incorrect numbers and assumptions. He quoted the wrong dollar amounts on almost every aspect of the budget. And that's speaking from a prepared statement. I've had personal dealings with Theresa about the budget and she can quote chapter and verse on expenditures for budget issues going back to 2010 and can site accreditation meetings and findings all day. Dutton asked Theresa what qualifies her for the position. I was dumbfounded….I have to give Theresa credit for not laughing……”What makes her qualified to be on the board”? …Do you mean BESIDES doing it for the last eight years? LOL.

Theresa’s tenure on the board has seen accreditation ratings increase more since 2010 than ever before. Her tenure saw an economic crash that caused every other portion of the county to cut services and raise the millage rate. Not only did the board NOT raise the millage rate, they did so with increased student enrollment and lower tax revenue. On top of that, the board actually lived within their means (something politicians aren’t well known for), cut unnecessary spending and renegotiated vendor contracts to cut $55 million from their expenditures. I give this current board the credit due for their accomplishments. Actions speak louder than words. A salesman turned politician? Okay, how much salt is going to be needed to take THOSE campaign promises. I’ll stick with someone who’s already delivered versus someone who can’t get the facts straight in a statement that was prepared weeks in advance.

I understand that you may have to go back to Dutton to see how this needs to be addressed, but be aware that I am stating published facts and not opinion (links to the budget notes, accreditation notes and debate transcripts can easily be posted if needed). My OPINION is that Theresa has the character to continue being successful in this positon. The fact that she’s a true public servant is a verifiable fact. Based on past experience and what’s been observed here lately, Dutton doesn’t have the experience, background, knowledge (see the details above) nor character (THAT, is my opinion, your standards for honesty, character and hypocrisy may vary) to serve this county.

There’s one additional point I’d like to make. I am making these statements on a public forum in which my identification is readily available. I am NOT scurrying behind the scenes making untrue accusations behind anyone’s back. Everything I’m posting is readily available for everyone to read and I welcome any inquiries as to the details. You can vote for whomever you wish, just do so with your eyes wide open……I bought the sales pitch for a short time….. a lot of people did.

You might want to check the video from the GOP debate. She said she would accept the opinion of those who made recommendations on the budget without question. Sorry but it is her job to know and to make sure that it is correct. I had never met Dutton until he decided to run. I think she is a wonderful person but it is time for a change on the BOE.

• Like 2

You might want to check the video from the GOP debate. She said she would accept the opinion of those who made recommendations on the budget without question. Sorry but it is her job to know and to make sure that it is correct. I had never met Dutton until he decided to run. I think she is a wonderful person but it is time for a change on the BOE.

"Without question" is your opinion or a quote? Referring to the Superintendent, which they picked, as someone that she would accept opinions from and whose job it is to implement the budget is a normal function of the board. Refer, if you will, back to the budget successes with those decisions. It’s not up to an individual board member to take responsibility for the budget. It’s a shared function requiring a consensus of opinion. Picking a candidate that doesn't understand nor even know the actual numbers is a better choice? Your entire decision has been based on an off the cuff remark during a response portion of a hurried and cut short debate?

I DO know him. I’ve “worked” (if you can call it that) with him on a few projects and witnessed his priorities. “Absentee” is a great descriptive. If there isn’t a photographer or a reporter available, good luck. If the task requires work……….You’re alone.

Speaking from experience. I’d rather have someone who’s succeeded in the position than someone who sells a good game but comes far short in results.

I’m not thrilled with the term incumbent in most races, but to replace a successful group with a sales pitch just because you don’t like incumbents in general is a misinformed action to take. We have far too many "salesmen" in politics as it is.

• Like 1

"Without question" is your opinion or a quote? Referring to the Superintendent, which they picked, as someone that she would accept opinions from and whose job it is to implement the budget is a normal function of the board. Refer, if you will, back to the budget successes with those decisions. It’s not up to an individual board member to take responsibility for the budget. It’s a shared function requiring a consensus of opinion. Picking a candidate that doesn't understand nor even know the actual numbers is a better choice? Your entire decision has been based on an off the cuff remark during a response portion of a hurried and cut short debate?

I DO know him. I’ve “worked” (if you can call it that) with him on a few projects and witnessed his priorities. “Absentee” is a great descriptive. If there isn’t a photographer or a reporter available, good luck. If the task requires work……….You’re alone.

Speaking from experience. I’d rather have someone who’s succeeded in the position than someone who sells a good game but comes far short in results.

I’m not thrilled with the term incumbent in most races, but to replace a successful group with a sales pitch just because you don’t like incumbents in general is a misinformed action to take. We have far too many "salesmen" in politics as it is.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. So am I and I will vote the way I believe is best. I think it is up to every single BOE member to check the budget and to understand it without taking it on face value from the office who makes it up. It is part of the job.

• Like 1

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. So am I and I will vote the way I believe is best. I think it is up to every single BOE member to check the budget and to understand it without taking it on face value from the office who makes it up. It is part of the job.

And Theresa never said she didn't. In fact, the results for the last 8 years shows a tremendous success on budget matters. There's the difference. My "opinion" is based on results. What is yours based on? Seriously, is it really based entirely on one line during a debate that you are taking out of context?

That's not an opinion. It's published fact. With no other compelling reasons that you will discuss, are we to believe they you want to throw out someone who's been successful in improving the education system while saving the tax payer money in favor of a salesmen, with no experience that doesn't even know what the budget numbers are, has a questionable work ethic and can't speak to any specific plan or platform to add to the boards success?

Not a very compelling argument.

• Like 1

Being an incumbent on PC school board is not what I call a great talking point for a campaign. I sure hope an incumbent would know more about the budget than a new comer having been involve with it for eight years. JMO.

• Like 2

Being an incumbent on PC school board is not what I call a great talking point for a campaign. I sure hope an incumbent would know more about the budget than a new comer having been involve with it for eight years. JMO.

Theresa never said she didn't know anything about the budget. Did you even watch the debate? WOW I can see that Steve has done a number on several of you. Follow a man who can't write a sentence without a typo ( look at his website), a man who when he gets mad takes his toys and goes home. A man who makes promises and NEVER keeps them. Ask the people involved with the East Paulding Football Booster club, They all saw it first hand.

• Like 1

Being an incumbent on a school board that raised acreditation while cutting the budget during an economic crash with increased student enrollment and reduced tax revenue WITHOUT raising the millage rate or cutting services is the pinnacle of campaign talking points. Theresa knows far more about the budget and how it's been utilized over the past 8 years than her opponent. I don't know where you are getting your information. The "new comer" couldn't quote a single correct number. Don't fall for a sales pitch. Especially from a candidate with no work ethic and a terrible record of actual accomplishments.

• Like 1

The incumbent just rubber stamps it or so she said in the debate. Yes I watched it.

The incumbent just rubber stamps it or so she said in the debate. Yes I watched it.

Watching it and understanding it seem to be two different things. She never said she rubber stamps anything. There's no history nor record of anyone "rubber stamping" anything on the budget. Look at the minutes of the meetings. Long drawn out discussions and votes on budget items. You do realize that the current board managed to cut costs, increase services and advanced acreditation without raising the millage rate. Right? You appear to be stuck on one thing. A comment that you are taking out of context. The resume of the current board contains nothing but positive results against the odds. Normally, that kind of success gains praise. You seem set on Dutton no matter what the facts are on the subject. Nope, not a very compelling argument at all.

• Like 1

Hmm interesting. Yea, I'm not a fan of vouchers, if you want your kids to get a better education, get involved with their school!!

All three of mine went to public school and they did fine. If you make them work at it, there are a lot of ways to get ahead in the county system.

Some of us want our kids to do more then "just be fine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_homeschooled_people

http://www.nheri.org/research/research-facts-on-homeschooling.html

I'm not sure what the problem is with her home schooling her own children, she still pays the school tax.

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 2