Paulding.com

Question about "Semi" Truck parking.

I noticed a neighbor is now parking a semi in front of his house on the street (half in his yard) in my neighborhood. I'm pretty sure that's not legal. I wanted to get some answers before I decide to be "the guy" and make a complaint. I don't like this guy, if I approach him about it, it won't end well. But if this is in fact very illegal I will make the call. This is a subdivision in Dallas but not in the city limits.

Edited by oneijack

Probably depends on whether the street is deemed private or public, I'm guessing.

And it sounds like you do not have a HOA.

I would suggest to either look up the ordinances on the paulding.gov site or call the Marshall's office and ask them.

Good Luck.

I think we had a HOA at one time or at least a homeowners covenant which I would think would still be in effect. (do those expire?) Was a new subdivision, well about 14 years old now.

Covenants run with the land. Apply to the property forever, no matter who owns it.

The last time I looked this up, the Paulding County code basically said it is illegal to park a vehicle on a street maintained by Paulding County.

There have been some pretty serious issues with cars parked on our street. I know of 2 cases where someone called the Sheriff's Dept., while the vehicle was illegal parked. Both times the Sheriff's Department came and told them they had to move the vehicle and if was parked there again, there would be fine and then the next time they had to come the vehicle would be impounded.

Covenants run with the land. Apply to the property forever, no matter who owns it.

This is what I found about it:

Georgia Code Section 44-5-60 used to provide that covenants restricting land to certain uses would bind the land for twenty (20) years, and at the end of the twenty (20) years, those restrictive covenants would automatically expire. This Code Section was adopted before the explosive growth of residential subdivisions at a time when restrictive covenants upon land were generally not favored. With the growth of residential subdivisions, however, covenants have steadily become recognized as protecting home values and have become more and more favored by the Georgia courts and legislature.

As a result, the Georgia legislature amended Section 44-5-60 in 1990 to permit owners affected by restrictive covenants to vote to continue those covenants ten (10) years beyond the initial twenty (20) year period. The Georgia legislature again amended Section 44-5-60 in 1991 to increase the ten (10) year extension period to twenty (20) years. Finally, in 1993, the Georgia legislature amended Section 44-5-60 to state that restrictive covenants in subdivisions of fifteen or more lots shall run for an initial period of twenty (20) years and shall thereafter automatically renew for successive periods of twenty (20) years, unless fifty-one percent (51%) of the lot owners vote to terminate the restrictive covenants. This statutory automatic renewal became effective on July 1, 1993 and is the current law in Georgia.

http://www.luederlaw.com/duration-of-covenants-a-survey-of-georgia-law/

• Like 1