Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
mancfan

School Board Elections

And given that a booster club is independent of the school board's supervision...(they are a private entity)......

WHO gave them (or the school) permission to put signage for private businesses on public property?

Does this mean that, since I contributed to a Post Chairman's election campaign that I can put my businesses' sign on the lawn at the courthouse?

Glad there are people in the community who see this as a problem. Teachers have complained about this for a while now. As I understand it, this has been going on for years (long before I came back here to teach). I can see small banners on the baseball field, softball fields, and even the fences at football games. I don't think it is good for large advertisments plastered on the field house or the school itself. Just doesn't feel right and looks like a business is more in charge of what goes on there. There are some things were advertising just shouldn't be.

And given that a booster club is independent of the school board's supervision...(they are a private entity)......

WHO gave them (or the school) permission to put signage for private businesses on public property?

Does this mean that, since I contributed to a Post Chairman's election campaign that I can put my businesses' sign on the lawn at the courthouse?

There are booster club agreements put forth by the school district that must be followed.

I am not very familiar with the county commission's policies. My heart and my calling is for the students and future citizens of Paulding. I have my hands full with trying to keep up with school board policies and I give that 100% effort. I will leave the courthouse signage question to someone with more knowledge regarding county policy.

I know you and I appreciate the questions. This is a good example of how I am committed to serve the entire county regardless of location. After our district lines changed a few years ago, EPHS is not even in my residence post any more even though my daughter attends there :cray: But I respect your questions and step up to attempt to provide answers to the best of my ability.

Glad there are people in the community who see this as a problem. Teachers have complained about this for a while now. As I understand it, this has been going on for years (long before I came back here to teach). I can see small banners on the baseball field, softball fields, and even the fences at football games. I don't think it is good for large advertisments plastered on the field house or the school itself. Just doesn't feel right and looks like a business is more in charge of what goes on there. There are some things were advertising just shouldn't be.

Thank you Peaches for posting. I have not heard a complaint until Glassdogs posted under this thread. I am very accessible and my email and cell phone are public on p.com, FB, and the school district website. This is the first complaint I have heard regarding booster club signs that support our school sports on the sports field.

Who are the teachers complaining to? And what response do they receive in return? What things are being advertised that should not be? I will plan to drive by tomorrow and take a closer look at the signs. Thank you again for the post.

There are booster club agreements put forth by the school district that must be followed.

I am not very familiar with the county commission's policies. My heart and my calling is for the students and future citizens of Paulding. I have my hands full with trying to keep up with school board policies and I give that 100% effort. I will leave the courthouse signage question to someone with more knowledge regarding county policy.

I know you and I appreciate the questions. This is a good example of how I am committed to serve the entire county regardless of location. After our district lines changed a few years ago, EPHS is not even in my residence post any more even though my daughter attends there :cray: But I respect your questions and step up to attempt to provide answers to the best of my ability.

That courthouse sign question was in jest...sorta.

I am serious,however, about the signage on public property that faces out on the street. You could make an argument that a contribution to the booster's club entitles that business to get some recognition/ad exposure to those people who actually attend a sporting event at that school. But, when the advertising is facing out to the general public along a public street and apparently isn't regulated by the School Board or Commission, this is getting out of hand.

It was good to see you the other night at the Commission meeting, even if it was from across the room. I was trying to sit where I wouldn't get hit with all the flying stupidity.... :rofl:

It was good to see you the other night at the Commission meeting, even if it was from across the room. I was trying to sit where I wouldn't get hit with all the flying stupidity.... :rofl:

It was good to see you too. :good:

I appreciate everybody that takes the time to get involved no matter the perspective. I have friends on both sides of the local issues but I am not letting that change my personal thoughts about anyone.

Issues are important and everyone should have an equal opinion and be free to share it BUT I am not losing friends or family over agenda items. People and community are more important to me that fussing and fighting regardless of sides.

Next time I can sit by you if you want! I will just move around the room at every meeting ! lol

I have early board meeting training and work session so need to go, but have a good night! I do appreciate citizens who are willing to speak up!

One is in support of a school sponsored activity the other is in support of a political candidate. Not even close to the same thing.

One is in support of a school sponsored activity the other is in support of a political candidate. Not even close to the same thing.

There is not a sign on the EPHS board for a political candidate. If there is the Booster Club didn't put it there. The sponsor board is a way we raise money to off set the cost of football. ALL the schools have sign boards. Permission for the sign board was granted years ago by the administration at East. Each year we get that permission. Cheerleading also has signs that that they have sold on that board. The school system has an agreement with Ragsdale and their signs are all over the schools.

• Like 3

It does not take a rocket s sceintist to understand that the county does NOT provide sufficeint funding for the various sports program, and with the state laws now somewhat dictating that ALL sports must be equal in their government funding, then it is a no brainer that in order to have these sports program, someone has to come up with the bucks just to keep a playable field in use.

Whats the problem with those sports selling advertising which in essence goes 100% to the sports programs ?

Me thinks someone is nit picking the advertising funding.

• Like 1

There is not a sign on the EPHS board for a political candidate. If there is the Booster Club didn't put it there. The sponsor board is a way we raise money to off set the cost of football. ALL the schools have sign boards. Permission for the sign board was granted years ago by the administration at East. Each year we get that permission. Cheerleading also has signs that that they have sold on that board. The school system has an agreement with Ragsdale and their signs are all over the schools.

They are ALL OVER the school. Thank you Ragsdale heating and air. But really......... there are places that their sign shouldn't be. Kinda defets school pride, and spirit.

• Like 1

I know. I was trying to explain that there is a difference to Glassdogs. I don't think a political sign belongs there either. Go back and read his post for clarity.

It was good to see you too. :good:

I appreciate everybody that takes the time to get involved no matter the perspective. I have friends on both sides of the local issues but I am not letting that change my personal thoughts about anyone.

Issues are important and everyone should have an equal opinion and be free to share it BUT I am not losing friends or family over agenda items. People and community are more important to me that fussing and fighting regardless of sides.

Next time I can sit by you if you want! I will just move around the room at every meeting ! lol

I have early board meeting training and work session so need to go, but have a good night! I do appreciate citizens who are willing to speak up!

Love the bolded...

• Like 2

The buissiness buy those spots on the fence, to advertise thier bussiness... they do not receive *favors* just because they have a sign up.. bussiness also buy ads in the year books to help with cost... I think it is like fundraisers.

Here is your answer.

Advertising materials of commercial, political, or religious nature shall not be displayed or distributed in the schools or on the school grounds except:

1. Schools with interscholastic athletic programs may display advertisements in athletic areas (gyms, football fields, baseball fields) as a service to commercial business sponsors who help support the athletic programs;

Protection of Pupil Rights is also defined in the OCGA and 20 USC.

• Like 1

Here is your answer.

Advertising materials of commercial, political, or religious nature shall not be displayed or distributed in the schools or on the school grounds except:

1. Schools with interscholastic athletic programs may display advertisements in athletic areas (gyms, football fields, baseball fields) as a service to commercial business sponsors who help support the athletic programs;

Protection of Pupil Rights is also defined in the OCGA and 20 USC.

Think you for that.

IF the advertisements at EPHS were facing inward toward the seating area so ticketed fans and students ONLY could see the ads, I'd have no problem. BUT, when the advertisements are hanging on the exterior fence facing the street (E. Paulding Dr.) then the interscholastic program/booster club is using public property for the benefit of private enterprise.

Edited to add: I could see almost 3 dozen signs facing out onto E. Paulding.

Edited by Glassdogs

why does PCHS not have that many signs on thier fence? all i see on thier fence is a sign that reads: school bus drivers needed lol

why does PCHS not have that many signs on thier fence? all i see on thier fence is a sign that reads: school bus drivers needed lol

Our booster signs are placed around the football fence during the season. They are removed at the end of the season.

Well except for one.

Our booster signs are placed around the football fence during the season. They are removed at the end of the season.

Well except for one.

As it should be.

So Glassdogs are you willing to replace the lost revenue if we take the signs down? We make almost 20,000 on selling the signs. This is money that the school does not provide to the program. The sports in High School are almost all self funding.

• Like 1

So Glassdogs are you willing to replace the lost revenue if we take the signs down? We make almost 20,000 on selling the signs. This is money that the school does not provide to the program. The sports in High School are almost all self funding.

:good:

If you sell advertisements on programs, in yearbooks...hey, go for it. If you have signs within the athletic fields that only the fans can see, that's fine.

Where I draw the line is that a BOOSTER CLUB is using public property to facilitate the advertisement of a private business to the general public. Those signs hanging on the outside of the fence and the big billboard that faces E. Paulding are in violation of the GA code, as Nick Chester posted above. The operative phrase being "in athletic areas". Signs on the outside of a fence are not "IN" the athletic area.

Ok GD, I'm just trying to figure out why it bothers you so much.

If you looked out your kitchen window every morning to that trashy mess, pretty sure you would feel the same as I do.

Or maybe the booster club shouldn't be violating the law.

The booster club has been selling these signs since 2006. I would think if it was a violation of the law someone would have had said something.

In order to pay for the functions, the school allows the booster club to post sponsor signs. Some of the signs are direct donors to the school not the booster clubs. Ragsdale heating and air, for example, has big signs at all of the schools. Without them the school system would have to foot the bill for a vast majority of the after school programs. Edited by Randy Cone

If you looked out your kitchen window every morning to that trashy mess, pretty sure you would feel the same as I do.

Not really, life is way too short to let silly things bother me.

:nea:

• Like 1