Paulding.com

School Board Elections

I have her signs in my yard and neighborhood. Just contact Curtis if you want a yard sign!

Yeah, I'll have to get back to her again. The boy and I were away this weekend. Spring the time for baseball, football camps and combines.

• Like 2

I am in favor of Theresa Lyons. She also is an asset to the school board. She and Kim work well together. I am a bit worried about the others running. I don't know much about them other than the man running against Theresa.

Will there be a debate for the candidates? I would love an open forum to be able to ask questions..

Hoping to see a debate last full week in April !

Kim Cobb, has always, and will continue to be one of the greatest assets to our BOE. She listens, she stands up and she will always do what's right for our kids.

Thank you! I have not forgotten about your signs!!! I will call tomorrow or Wednesday to further our discussion on your other concerns.

• Like 1

I have her signs in my yard and neighborhood. Just contact Curtis if you want a yard sign!

You can text, call, or email me too! Curt was just helping me out !

I have been trying to follow up on some ongoing concerns and spending most of the day at various schools to personally observe. I volunteer everyday and have NO day off! No regrets either though ;-)

• Like 3

Is Kim's position at large? I have noticed several people whose signs say at large. Her's just says for the school board.

All positions are AT LARGE as far as voting goes. The only determination is post/district lines are for the candidate's residence. We qualify based on where we live BUT we are VOTED on by the entire county. It is very confusing compared to other positions so thank you for asking!

That is why I do not put a post/district on my sign. My belief is..... if you vote for me and I pledge to represent the district "without fear or favor" I should listen and share your concerns with the superintendent no matter if you reside in my post. I have to put my personal thoughts aside and share yours whether I am in agreement or not.

When it comes to voting, I am representing those who have contacted me and using common sense that benefits the district as a whole, not my personal opinion.

• Like 3

I will say this. Kim is one of the hardest working people in public office that I know. And I know that she cares.

And there's been a few times I was at a loss and she helped me get through some situations with my grandson in school with some great advice.

Thank you Kim for all you do!

• Like 11

I am in favor of Theresa Lyons. She also is an asset to the school board. She and Kim work well together. I am a bit worried about the others running. I don't know much about them other than the man running against Theresa.

I enjoy serving with all fellow board members including Theresa. I have positive to say about each of them. But, I also remember how I was treated when I signed my name and was willing to serve against an incumbent years ago. I would not wish that on anyone or their family.

I only had ONE person contact me to ask questions directly and give me an opportunity to answer. It was very disappointing, therefore I have become a more informed voter and ask questions myself and do research to give everyone a fair opportunity.

I am meeting/talking to the other citizens willing to serve in our county government and school positions as well. School board is definitely a thankless position of serving the public not a job or position of power. Anyone, willing to step forward and qualify for public service, including the gentleman that qualified for my post should be thanked and given an opportunity to answer concerns.

• Like 1

I will say this. Kim is one of the hardest working people in public office that I know. And I know that she cares.

And there's been a few times I was at a loss and she helped me get through some situations with my grandson in school with some great advice.

Thank you Kim for all you do!

Thank you for reaching out an being an involved parent/grandparent. Most of p.commers are as this thread shows from the above posts. Unfortunately, for our public schools you guys are in the minority and that is the big struggle. We p.commers may not always agree on here but seems like we care about ALL our county's kids and not just our own.

• Like 1

who are the others running? sorry since my kids are out of school.. I do not follow the BOE like I did when they were in school.

Lady Raider, I am thankful you posted this. Since you are a citizen and taxpayer of Paulding County, the effect of BOE decisions still affect you and your family.

Property taxes, local sales tax (splost), career readiness or further education of our students affect everyone in our community. If these young people leave the school system ill equipped to be productive citizens, whether it be through work, vocational school, job training, or higher education we are all ultimately affected. They often find themselves without life skills or motivation to work.

Then, they may make negative decisions which not only hurt them but our community. Lack of knowledge or education, skills, crime, drugs, etc. still put a burden on our county and its residents.

Here is a link to voter information for you to input your info and see your candidates.

https://gvrs.sos.state.ga.us/GAElection/CandidateDetails

• Like 2

Kim Cobb has my vote as well....I have worked alongside her and know firsthand her commitment to the students, teachers, and staff within the Paulding County School District.

It is vitally important for votes to talk to these candidates and know where they stand. Also, have you ever attended a school board meeting and witnessed the involvement of the sitting school board members. It can be very telling as to who is engaged and there for all of the right reasons. I challenge you to attend meetings and do your homework! Some of the newcomers may be worth looking at, however, I believe Kim Cobb can still be effective for years to come!

• Like 4

I enjoy serving with all fellow board members including Theresa. I have positive to say about each of them. But, I also remember how I was treated when I signed my name and was willing to serve against an incumbent years ago. I would not wish that on anyone or their family.

I only had ONE person contact me to ask questions directly and give me an opportunity to answer. It was very disappointing, therefore I have become a more informed voter and ask questions myself and do research to give everyone a fair opportunity.

I am meeting/talking to the other citizens willing to serve in our county government and school positions as well. School board is definitely a thankless position of serving the public not a job or position of power. Anyone, willing to step forward and qualify for public service, including the gentleman that qualified for my post should be thanked and given an opportunity to answer concerns.

You know that you have my support. You are the best.

• Like 3

At Large

Ashley McDonald

EDWARD PHAM

JEFF FULLER

JOE WATSON JR ~~ Incumbent

District 1

STEVE DUTTON

THERESA LYONS~~ Incumbent

District 3

KIM COBB ~~ Incumbent

RAYMOND F PHILLIPS II

District 4

GLEN ALBRIGHT

RAMONA TALLEY

• Like 3

Lady Raider, I am thankful you posted this. Since you are a citizen and taxpayer of Paulding County, the effect of BOE decisions still affect you and your family.

Property taxes, local sales tax (splost), career readiness or further education of our students affect everyone in our community. If these young people leave the school system ill equipped to be productive citizens, whether it be through work, vocational school, job training, or higher education we are all ultimately affected. They often find themselves without life skills or motivation to work.

Then, they may make negative decisions which not only hurt them but our community. Lack of knowledge or education, skills, crime, drugs, etc. still put a burden on our county and its residents.

Here is a link to voter information for you to input your info and see your candidates.

https://gvrs.sos.state.ga.us/GAElection/CandidateDetails

Thank you Kim....

• Like 2

Kim, Is Edward Phram and Jeff Fuller running against you? Are the running to replace other people? If they are not running against you, who is?

I would think someone that has done such a good job would be hard to beat.

District 3

KIM COBB ~~ Incumbent

RAYMOND F PHILLIPS II

• Like 3

I wish I knew more about the other candidates. It would be nice if the others told us why they are running and something about themselves.

I see most of them at local school district events and they have been attending the local Republican events since all school board candidates qualified as Republicans.

There is an PCRWC meeting this Saturday at Audry's and I have the pleasure of speaking for a few minutes. Most local candidates usually attend. Everyone is welcome so come and meet folks and ask questions. I also hope to meet new folks at the debate later in April but no details on date, time, or location yet.

• Like 2

At Large

Ashley McDonald

EDWARD PHAM

JEFF FULLER

JOE WATSON JR ~~ Incumbent

District 1

STEVE DUTTON

THERESA LYONS~~ Incumbent

District 3

KIM COBB ~~ Incumbent

RAYMOND F PHILLIPS II

District 4

GLEN ALBRIGHT

RAMONA TALLEY

Are these districts the same as the Commission Posts, geography-wise?

• Like 1

I see most of them at local school district events and they have been attending the local Republican events since all school board candidates qualified as Republicans.

There is an PCRWC meeting this Saturday at Audry's and I have the pleasure of speaking for a few minutes. Most local candidates usually attend. Everyone is welcome so come and meet folks and ask questions. I also hope to meet new folks at the debate later in April but no details on date, time, or location yet.

Yes, and I would like to add...just because you are a friend or acquaintance of someone is not a reason to vote for them. We must look and investigate what incumbents have or haven't done while in office and get to know the new candidates. It's vitally important.

• Like 4

Are these districts the same as the Commission Posts, geography-wise?

No, the school board has 6 posts that define our residence requirements and 1 post in which the candidate can live "at-large" anywhere in Paulding. Voters have the privilege of voting on each and every post. So during this primary, you will have 4 of the 7 post up for re-election. I will continue working hard for all the citizens of Paulding regardless of where you may reside and I ask for your vote!

I attached a link to the county map with districts. Praying it works and you may see districts BUT remember those lines only affect where candidates live NOT where you live because you have a vote for each district.

School board district map

Click "x" to close disclaimer box

Click select map "political"

Click map layers

Then check districts

Then hit "+" to expand school board districts

Edited by Kim Cobb Post #3
  • Like 2
Kim Cobb PCSB Post 3, on 21 Mar 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:Kim Cobb PCSB Post 3, on 21 Mar 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

I want to say, thank you. My family recently expressed concerns to the school board with respect to the environment of a MIMO Special Education class. The first response from the school system was bureaucratic and didn’t give us much hope, but your involvement has certainly changed our spirits. Not only have you personally communicated with my family, but you have sat and observed the classrooms and went as far as to take the time to meet my son. Frankly, I hadn’t paid much attention to school board elections prior to this thread and your involvement. I truly appreciate your compassion and concerns for the wellbeing of our children.

Jamie Weaver

Edited by Jamie Weaver
  • Like 9

Speaking of the school board...

I'm wondering how school property (taxpayer paid-for property) can be used for signboards advertising private companies?

The fence in front of the field at EPHS is beginning to look like a flea market lives there.

• Like 1

Speaking of the school board...

I'm wondering how school property (taxpayer paid-for property) can be used for signboards advertising private companies?

The fence in front of the field at EPHS is beginning to look like a flea market lives there.

They are usually sponsors or they partner with the school. They make donations to the teams sometimes.

• Like 1

They are usually sponsors or they partner with the school. They make donations to the teams sometimes.

Yes, I understand that.

And, does that not imply that the school endorses the product or service being advertised?

Why is public property being used to advertise for private businesses?

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that.

And, does that not imply that the school endorses the product or service being advertised?

No, it is just a thank you for the donation.

• Like 1

If all our politicians were as good as Kim Cobb, there would be very, very little to bitch about on Paulding.com!!!

I was very proud of Kim when she won her 1st election to the BOE, and have been extremely pleased with her hands on involvement. Even more so personnally knowing Kim, and the individual who she ran against to take the seat.

My only negative comment would be that I wished Kim was downtown under the Gold Dome representing Paulding County as one of our State Representative, instead of the lady Kim unseated at the school board.

Seriously, if all our politicians were as involved, as hands on, and as hard working as Kim Cobb, this world would be a better place to live in, let alone Paulding County,

Kudos to you Kim, keep up the good work!!!

• Like 4

Kim Cobb will always have my vote. She and Sammy McClure stood up for the custodians when they voted to outsoure. They care what happens ALL school employees.

I do care about all employees and students. I

If all our politicians were as good as Kim Cobb, there would be very, very little to bitch about on Paulding.com!!!

I was very proud of Kim when she won her 1st election to the BOE, and have been extremely pleased with her hands on involvement. Even more so personnally knowing Kim, and the individual who she ran against to take the seat.

My only negative comment would be that I wished Kim was downtown under the Gold Dome representing Paulding County as one of our State Representative, instead of the lady Kim unseated at the school board.

Seriously, if all our politicians were as involved, as hands on, and as hard working as Kim Cobb, this world would be a better place to live in, let alone Paulding County,

Kudos to you Kim, keep up the good work!!!

Thank you for the kind words, except the politician reference, lol.

I consider what I do to be a public service. I want to serve my community not dictate. These days "politician" is not a positive term. I will continue to listen and represent those who contact me and give 100% effort.

• Like 2

No, it is just a thank you for the donation.

Thank you NJ. Normally, signs represent a sponsorship of the sports booster club programs. The signs at EPHS are of businesses that donate funds to the football booster club to help the program offset their expenses. The booster club likes to recognize support and provides signage in return.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that.

Thanks for the question Glassdogs. It is not an endorsement but a recognition that the business is financially supporting the student activities through the booster club.

Booster clubs have to come up with their own funding and this is a way that they can support the entities that support their students.

I want to say, thank you. My family recently expressed concerns to the school board with respect to the environment of a MIMO Special Education class. The first response from the school system was bureaucratic and didn’t give us much hope, but your involvement has certainly changed our spirits. Not only have you personally communicated with my family, but you have sat and observed the classrooms and went as far as to take the time to meet my son. Frankly, I hadn’t paid much attention to school board elections prior to this thread and your involvement. I truly appreciate your compassion and concerns for the wellbeing of our children.

Jamie Weaver

Thank you Jamie. I am so thankful that your family has worked with the school and shared your concerns. I enjoyed my visit to your child's class and the school. It touched my heart to see the precious students and the awesome educators working to serve that class and others.

Working together, I truly believe that the families and the staff can make a difference in these young people's future. I look forward to keeping in touch and a future visit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the question Glassdogs. It is not an endorsement but a recognition that the business is financially supporting the student activities through the booster club.

Booster clubs have to come up with their own funding and this is a way that they can support the entities that support their students.

And given that a booster club is independent of the school board's supervision...(they are a private entity)......

WHO gave them (or the school) permission to put signage for private businesses on public property?

Does this mean that, since I contributed to a Post Chairman's election campaign that I can put my businesses' sign on the lawn at the courthouse?