Paulding.com

Ragsdale Elementary and others?

So a friend of my son's has received a new haircut due to lice. The friend's mother calls the school to notify them,being a good parent and guess what?

Administration tells her they have known about this problem at the school since last Wednesday and we're going to notify parents maybe tomorrow or Friday. What the hell? The school knew about an epidemic of lice and waits well over a week to notify parents. Fail,Fail,FAIL. Sarah Ragsdale school staff failed the kids, failed, the parents,and failed the community as voting happened yesterday there.

They gotta have a policy for someone to print a paper saying there is a lice outbreak at the school and then send a copy home with each kid?

Maybe that is one thing that's wrong with our schools, no one can take a wee wee without there being a policy in place, telling them how to hold it and how far away to stand.

(not trying to be chauvinistic, I'm just a guy and think of guy things)

I have no idea what you do to not get the lice.

Edited by stradial

That was a job of our school nurses and before a child could return to school they had to go back to the nurse or have a note from their doctor saying the kid was treated and lice were gone. I guess common sense would be to have a policy to notify the parents of an outbreak and to make sure kids didn't go back to school the next day still infected with lice. But what do I know... I'm just a parent.

It's very simple how to prevent lice. Use a good quality tee tree oil and put some in each bottle of shampoo and conditioner. Some friends of mine have raised 5 children to adulthood here in Paulding. After one round of lice they found out about this preventative measure and they started using it. They NEVER had another round of lice after that. Three girls and two boys. Also, remind the kids to not share combs brushes, hair fasteners, etc. with anyone that doesn't live in the household with them. Lice can transfer that way, plus they can also jump up to about 4 FEET!

• Like 1

I don't know much about lice, thankfully, my only point was that once the school was aware that there was an "outbreak", I think they should have sent a paper home with the kids, saying that.

At least the parents could then take precautions (whatever that may be) and watching out for their kids, if they wanted to.

• Like 1

I don't know much about lice, thankfully, my only point was that once the school was aware that there was an "outbreak", I think they should have sent a paper home with the kids, saying that.

At least the parents could then take precautions (whatever that may be) and watching out for their kids, if they wanted to.

I know that when my older kids were in school there was a letter sent home, and when 16 yr old was in elementary school there was a letter sent home. Of course I wouldn't see the letter until about a month, or even the end of the year after the fact, because I don't rummage through my kids backpacks.

My point is maybe a letter has been sent home, and maybe it's in the backpack.

BTW strep is also going around, as well as a couple of other viruses. There's outbreak of whooping cough in Cobb, mainly in the schools with kids from other countries. Oh, and I also read there has been an out break of mumps at one of the colleges up North among the kids that were vaccinated when they were younger. They're blaming that on the exchange students.

Yep guess I covered all the outbreaks that I have heard about.

Off the top of my head :pun:, I know of at least 6 schools across the district with outbreaks.....at all levels.

The district doesn't have a lice policy.

Could this be the super lice?

super lice...... I seen this on tv the other day... that is one scary bug lol

• Like 1

nasty.. I guess it's time for teachers to be trained to pick thru kids hair weekly in search of the offensive bugs..

Years ago teachers WERE required to do head checks every Friday. Students with lice were sent to the nurse, the child sent home and notes went home that day!!
  • Like 1

Years ago teachers WERE required to do head checks every Friday. Students with lice were sent to the nurse, the child sent home and notes went home that day!!

yep