Paulding.com

Vent about the Marshal's Office

We have a neighbor who has junk all over the yard, but since it's private property, the Marshal's Office wants you to submit a complaint form and you must indicate your name,. address, phone #, etc or they won't investigate the complaint.

Why won't the Marshal be pro-active rather than re-active? If a police officer sees a car with a brake light out, they'll pull it over and issue paperwork. But the Marshal, who is a sworn law enforcement officer, won't issue a citation without a private citizen first filing a complaint. THAT'S BASS ACKWARDS.

If they see a yard full of dishwashers, ovens and junk cars, why won't they drop by and ask them to clean it up? They're not allowed to per their own policy

Can Todd, Vernon, David or Tony change this asinine policy and force the Marshal to get off his wazoo and clean up Paulding County?

• Like 6

We have a neighbor who has junk all over the yard, but since it's private property, the Marshal's Office wants you to submit a complaint form and you must indicate your name,. address, phone #, etc or they won't investigate the complaint.

Why won't the Marshal be pro-active rather than re-active? If a police officer sees a car with a brake light out, they'll pull it over and issue paperwork. But the Marshal, who is a sworn law enforcement officer, won't issue a citation without a private citizen first filing a complaint. THAT'S BASS ACKWARDS.

If they see a yard full of dishwashers, ovens and junk cars, why won't they drop by and ask them to clean it up? They're not allowed to per their own policy

Can Todd, Vernon, David or Tony change this asinine policy and force the Marshal to get off his wazoo and clean up Paulding County?

They don't have the manpower all their officers are standing guard at the courthouse having people take off their belts and lift their pants leg.

• Like 8

What's so wrong with you submitting the required information? Since you are the one complaining, you shouldn't have any problem doing that, Mr. Private Citizen.

• Like 2

Being able to remain anonymous on a complaint form is an open invitation for false claims.People were lying about their neighbors just because they didn't like them.

Now,when you fill out all the info,the Marshals will ride by your home to make sure you're not in any code violation

• Like 1

I am told that the Marshals office cannot perform their job like it is supposed to be because of MR. AUSTIN.

We have been trying to get something done about a house like that for 6 months. They have cited them 2 times

and they paid a fine. I was told the third time they cannot pay the fine, they have to go before the judge, This ought

to be interesting.

Being able to remain anonymous on a complaint form is an open invitation for false claims.People were lying about their neighbors just because they didn't like them.

Now,when you fill out all the info,the Marshals will ride by your home to make sure you're not in any code violation

How do you make a false claim about someone having junk on their property ? Either they do or they don't, not that anyone's perfect just some people around here place looks like a rerun of Sanford & Son. We have one guy in my neighborhood that's starting to give the county dump a run for their money.

• Like 3

We're not talking litter on the roadside, I'm talking about junk in a residential neighborhood. My neighbor has a friggin oven sitting in his front yard. an oven. Along with a dishwasher, old junk cars and various kinds of junk like Sanford and Son, but the Marshal wants you to go to the web site, download a form and submit it. the form REQUIRES you to put your name, address phone number, type of complaint, etc. Suppose you complain and the guy who has junk all over his yard tries to burn your house down. there are some kooks out there who'd do such a thing...all the while, the Marshal is sitting at his office doing nothing to clean up Paulding County. And I also Have a junky used car lot, buy here pay here,... old crappy cars that look like fossils...that's really helping the value of the neighborhood too.

UGH! been there done this one too.

Junk everywhere, non-running autos, people living in campers without facilities.There was even a genuine "Scooby-Doo" van up on blocks.

Went to the trouble to file multiple complaints, take pictures, etc.

Even when they came out, they tried to say no one was living in the campers. I had to point out the TURDS in the yard coming from the dump hose.

GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 2

Or a copy of your complaint could end up on the chair of every seat in our BOC's meeting room.

But that is better than it ending up as a billboard.

I hate to agree with CC, but a false junk yard complaint, should be pretty easy to determine without even getting out of the patrol car.

• Like 1

We're not talking litter on the roadside, I'm talking about junk in a residential neighborhood. My neighbor has a friggin oven sitting in his front yard. an oven. Along with a dishwasher, old junk cars and various kinds of junk like Sanford and Son, but the Marshal wants you to go to the web site, download a form and submit it. the form REQUIRES you to put your name, address phone number, type of complaint, etc. Suppose you complain and the guy who has junk all over his yard tries to burn your house down. there are some kooks out there who'd do such a thing...all the while, the Marshal is sitting at his office doing nothing to clean up Paulding County. And I also Have a junky used car lot, buy here pay here,... old crappy cars that look like fossils...that's really helping the value of the neighborhood too.

They require all that info in hopes you do not won;'t to take the time to jump through the hoops. been there and done that. and after jumping through the hoops as required, nothing was done.

This "go into the office and fill out a form" type of "LAW enforcement" has been going on since the middle of Shearin's term as Chairman.

I complained to him in person about the conditions along E. Paulding Drive from Citizens's Square intersection to Mt. Tabor Church Rd about half-way through his second term. He told me directly that "The Marshal's Office was the Commission's little private PD" and they didn't do anything without specific permission from one of the Commissioners. Meaning that they were nothing more than a little Gestapo available for pay-backs to political opponents.

When David Austin was running the first time against Shearin, I approached him during one of his campaign events and inquired about his position on litter and unsightly premises. We, again, discussed E. Paulding Dr. and I specifically mentioned the building that had burned and was sitting in blackened rubble at the corner of E. Paulding and Mt. Tabor Church. Austin told me that the owner of the property was an "old man" who just couldn't afford to clean it up. My reply was..."So you don't see how unkempt, littered property decreases the property values in the area, thereby dropping the tax revenues?" He looked at me with a totally blank stare. Clueless.

• Like 3

My neighbors 3 doors down burned a bunch of plastic in their front yard several weeks ago. Their yard looks like crap and they still have Christmas and Valentines Day lights up. Yes, that's right I said Valentine's Day lights. They turn them off during the day and turn them back on at night. We also have a guy on our street living in a camper in someones front yard. It irks me beyond belief. We plan on selling your house within the next year and these people aren't going to be helping.

• Like 2

It's easy to uderstand the frustration, to some degree the problem is everywhere. There's a prime example to be seen by walking to the edge of my lot, that only affects me and a hand full of houses that back up to that same property. That being said I accept the system that I live under because it's exactly what I sought out.

The further the level of government from the people the looser must be the enforcement of the will of that government. The system at the county level gives you more freedom of what you can do on your property. And the checks and balances at that level insure that one individuals claim/accusation against another can not cause the full and immediate fury of the government down on that person(s). If thats what you want you need to keep your government closer to you, like living inside a city limit. Or better yet, inside a covenient restricted community with an enforcement arm.

It's easier to car pool down to the cubicle farms from there anyway.

• Like 2

Heres an idea that worked for me... I posted on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/paulding.marshals/?fref=ts

I asked if they ever just drove through neighborhoods looking for violations. I gave my neighborhood name and street names and said "if you do drive throughs I would appreciate you checking out multiple houses here" and I listed what violations I saw but did not give exact addresses.

They responded back on Facebook, asking me to call them. I didn't call because I knew they would want me to fill out the form with my info etc. Well, a couple days later, I saw them in my hood. Several houses must have been cited because within a few days, the yards were cleaned up.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Heres an idea that worked for me... I posted on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/paulding.marshals/?fref=ts

I asked if they ever just drove through neighborhoods looking for violations. I gave my neighborhood name and street names and said "if you do drive throughs I would appreciate you checking out multiple houses here" and I listed what violations I saw but did not give exact addresses.

They responded back on Facebook, asking me to call them. I didn't call because I knew they would want me to fill out the form with my info etc. Well, a couple days later, I saw them in my hood. Several houses must have been cited because within a few days, the yards were cleaned up.

Good luck.

I posted on their FB page a while back, asking why they weren't proactive in enforcing the codes. They deleted my post without answering it. (Sort of like another social medial source we all know about.)

• Like 1

I posted on their FB page a while back, asking why they weren't proactive in enforcing the codes. They deleted my post without answering it. (Sort of like another social medial source we all know about.)

I was nice about my question, acted all innocent and polite. I knew they didn't patrol randomly, but by being nice and asking, I got them to come through my hood.

Well pardon me, I know this is not about litter. I was only saying he was going to get up the litter, but these houses did not matter.

Again I am sorry, I did not try to take over you post.

Well pardon me, I know this is not about litter. I was only saying he was going to get up the litter, but these houses did not matter.

Again I am sorry, I did not try to take over you post.

We have an occasional litterbug throw out beer cans and Krystal boxes in my yard. As annoying as that is, it's much less of an eyesore than having Sanford and Son at the front of the subdivision for the whole world to see. I'm not trying to bash David Austin, just wondering why a law enforcement officer (The Marshal) won't enforce the law unless a complaint form is filled out. Too much red tape. perhaps they should do away with the Marshal's office and assign those duties to the Sheriff's Office. Those deputies folks don't mind handing out tickets.

It was/is my understanding that the Marshall's office is part of the Sheriff's Department.

In so far as I can tell, the only thing the Marshall's office does is collect their salary.

There is a house in my neighborhood, that I guess was reported to the Marshall's office by the EPA. In the flood of 09, the EPA said the bridge washed out due to debris from neighbors washing into the creek and then washing the bridge out. The Marshall's office did come out and issued a citation, which they said carried a $10,000 fine if not cleaned up in 30 days. To my knowledge, all the debris has still not been cleaned up. Thank goodness, this is a dead end street and you do not have to pass that house to get to mine.

Oh, for the days of Johnny Shirley, when he ran a ship shape Marshall's office, that actually did something.

My neighbors 3 doors down burned a bunch of plastic in their front yard several weeks ago. Their yard looks like crap and they still have Christmas and Valentines Day lights up. Yes, that's right I said Valentine's Day lights. They turn them off during the day and turn them back on at night. We also have a guy on our street living in a camper in someones front yard. It irks me beyond belief. We plan on selling your house within the next year and these people aren't going to be helping.

Must be cousin Eddy....But I get what your saying...I always say no one can see inside my house unless I invite them in..but everyone sees the outside..wish folks would take a little pride in their outside.

• Like 1

It was/is my understanding that the Marshall's office is part of the Sheriff's Department.

In so far as I can tell, the only thing the Marshall's office does is collect their salary.

There is a house in my neighborhood, that I guess was reported to the Marshall's office by the EPA. In the flood of 09, the EPA said the bridge washed out due to debris from neighbors washing into the creek and then washing the bridge out. The Marshall's office did come out and issued a citation, which they said carried a $10,000 fine if not cleaned up in 30 days. To my knowledge, all the debris has still not been cleaned up. Thank goodness, this is a dead end street and you do not have to pass that house to get to mine.

Oh, for the days of Johnny Shirley, when he ran a ship shape Marshall's office, that actually did something.

The Marshalls Office is not part of the Sheriffs Department.

who appoints the marshall?

I do not have a comment on how the Marshall's office does it's job, but it is headed by Major LeAnn LeHolm.

I can say that in my one instance of contacting Major LeHolm, she was courteous, professional and very prompt in replying to my contact.

• Like 1

I do not have a comment on how the Marshall's office does it's job, but it is headed by Major LeAnn LeHolm.

I can say that in my one instance of contacting Major LeHolm, she was courteous, professional and very prompt in replying to my contact.

You are right I would go further to say if you want anything done by the Marshall's office you contact Ms. LeHolm directly her email address is on the county website.

You are right I would go further to say if you want anything done by the Marshall's office you contact Ms. LeHolm directly her email address is on the county website.

this sounds like a better solution

Just had an interesting conversation about this with one of the Post 1 candidates, Ron Davis.

I can say that he is upset about the lack of pro-activity on the part of the Marshal's office. He said to me that many people have asked him about this trash/litter issue during his campaign. I think a vote for him on Tuesday might be in our best interests.......

• Like 3

Ridge Rd looks bad, too. There's so many overgrown abandoned houses, junked up yards such as....... Garbage, old furniture and stuff in general. Some yards with junked up cars, as well. Lots of people have this mentality of "It's my property and I'll do what I want ON MY PROPERTY." When they're not in a subdivision, that is!! It would be nice to see this county, cleaned up more often. And don't you just love it when the mowers come our to cut the grass before the roadside litter has been picked up??? Now, "that's" bass ackwards!!!

• Like 1

The Marshal's Office works very hard and they have a lot of ground to cover. I have always been impressed with their professionalism in any situation I have ever witnessed them being involved in.

Here is a photo posted on Facebook of Post 1 Commission Candidate, Jeremiah Fields, doing his part to help keep our county clean! :) I very much appreciate anyone who makes the effort in helping to keep our community clean!

post-19397-0-65404600-1456628654_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Marshal's Office works very hard and they have a lot of ground to cover. I have always been impressed with their professionalism in any situation I have ever witnessed them being involved in.

Here is a photo posted on Facebook of Post 1 Commission Candidate, Jeremiah Fields, doing his part to help keep our county clean! :) I very much appreciate anyone who makes the effort in helping to keep our community clean!

Shouldn't the Marshal's office be pro-active in keeping our county clean? They won't bother enforcing the laws on the books unless a complaint form is filled out.... perhaps we should just contact the commissioners directly and then THEY can call the Marshal. Let's start posting pictures as well as the names and addresses of the property owners who junk up the roads and subdivisions.

A picture posted of Sanford & Sons yard full of junk cars, appliances and so forth might get the Marshal's attention. Perhaps pubby could create a new forum. .

By the way, I voted for Ron Davis, since he's against having 737's land in Paulding County.

• Like 2

I've filed 3 reports with the Marshalls office, given them the info they wanted and ALL three were handled within a week. Crazy, I know! But when you do what you are asked to get something done, it's amazing the results you can get.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

We have filled out the form at the Marshal's office. We have given our private information. The home next door to us is owned by a gentleman now in a nursing home. His son allowed a family - yes small children also who were "down on their luck" to move in there. They don't just have litter in the yard, there are bags of trash stacked up in their driveway. Filth is not even the word.

The marshal has done nothing. Not one thing. They said that they have 30 days to clean it up or they fine the owner. That was 3 weeks ago. And they haven't made a move to do anything.

In the interim, there is a virus running rampid caused from mosquitoes. Zica. And this is going to be a mosquito pit. Why should we be penalized and unable to go outside because some people want to live like pigs?

I am very disheartened at the marshal's office ability to do nothing. We followed protocol and filed the complaint. As did the neighbors on the other side of this house. And still, nothing. I'm just wondering if the health department might be the way to go.

• Like 2

We have filled out the form at the Marshal's office. We have given our private information. The home next door to us is owned by a gentleman now in a nursing home. His son allowed a family - yes small children also who were "down on their luck" to move in there. They don't just have litter in the yard, there are bags of trash stacked up in their driveway. Filth is not even the word.

The marshal has done nothing. Not one thing. They said that they have 30 days to clean it up or they fine the owner. That was 3 weeks ago. And they haven't made a move to do anything.

In the interim, there is a virus running rampid caused from mosquitoes. Zica. And this is going to be a mosquito pit. Why should we be penalized and unable to go outside because some people want to live like pigs?

I am very disheartened at the marshal's office ability to do nothing. We followed protocol and filed the complaint. As did the neighbors on the other side of this house. And still, nothing. I'm just wondering if the health department might be the way to go.

I once had a neighbor who stacked his trash for a week or two in his driveway. I put up with it until i saw RATS climbing around in it. I informed him to cease and desist or one night he may have a case of spontaneous combustion in the pile.

It hasn't been quite 30 days. As far as that zinka thing. Funny how it just up and vanished kind of like that Ebola thing.