Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie Bennett

Cop, Who Feared For His Life, Gets Charged With Murder.

For those wondering, this is the Decatur policeman who was charged with murder in the incident where the family called the police for help because their son/brother was naked (unarmed) and acting erratically jumping off a balcony, etc. (a veteran diagnosed with PTSD, BTW) and then shot by the policeman who 'feared for his life.'

According to the article that I read in the NYTimes the grand jury chose to indict the officer even though he was given the opportunity to address the grand jury in chambers (secret) and explain himself without so much as the DA being able to interrogate him (Georgia law provides this right to LEO). Obviously the grand jury didn't buy his explanation.

The shooting itself was a cause celeb largely because them man was unarmed, naked and a DAV ... and the officer had been trained in dealing with mentally unstable people including the use of less lethal means of subduing those acting out.

pubby

For a family, anywhere, to fear calling police because it could so easily be a death sentence for a mentally ill family member is a shame, in my book. Police officers have to make a living, through their employment, but fearing for their lives is not much of a living. Officers who so easily fear for their lives should find another line of work.

• Like 1

I was not there and don`t know the facts. I wonder,though,what autopsy results were,if there was one. Was the mental instability caused by drugs? I know of both bath salts and hallucination-producing mushrooms causing folks to get naked and go crazy at the same time. I once witnessed an episode of a man with the exact same behavior. He later admitted to using bath salts to produce a high. Did the officer have a tazer? Sometimes they don`t stop a person,either. I`m surprised the Air Force didn`t weed this man out earlier. Lots of facts we don`t know. I can`t judge either way. If a naked man attacks me,he might get shot. A naked woman? Doubt it.

• Like 1

I was not there and don`t know the facts. I wonder,though,what autopsy results were,if there was one. Was the mental instability caused by drugs? I know of both bath salts and hallucination-producing mushrooms causing folks to get naked and go crazy at the same time. I once witnessed an episode of a man with the exact same behavior. He later admitted to using bath salts to produce a high. Did the officer have a tazer? Sometimes they don`t stop a person,either. I`m surprised the Air Force didn`t weed this man out earlier. Lots of facts we don`t know. I can`t judge either way. If a naked man attacks me,he might get shot. A naked woman? Doubt it.

I think people should have second thoughts about calling the cops, now days, especially if ther is some health problem.

Whether you call them or not, some cops just don't like black people, and are probably corrupt in other ways also.

A police sergeant in St. Paul, Minn., has been placed on administrative leave after he allegedly posted an inflammatory statement online, telling motorists to run over Black Lives Matter “idiots” participating in a march on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWqrTuxb7KAhUD7D4KHe-zDEAQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fpost-nation%2Fwp%2F2016%2F01%2F19%2Fpolice-officer-suspended-for-allegedly-urging-drivers-to-run-over-black-lives-matter-idiots%2F&usg=AFQjCNFr6HXiRrfKYZ1eE_ORMetZ6YsUDw&sig2=LYcmjh8msQK3m6lutgg6Hw

Edited by The Postman

All the more reason to have a trial. To bring all of the facts to light.

• Like 2

He should be charged!! Not really sure how much threat a naked man poses. He certainly didn't have a weapon.

• Like 1

He should be charged!! Not really sure how much threat a naked man poses. He certainly didn't have a weapon.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't take much of a threat for a cop to kill a man, and a woman can get dead pretty easy.

Who do you call when a Killer Cop shows us?

Edited by The Postman