Paulding.com

Newly Announced Candidate for BOC Chairman

"He said he opposes airport commercialization because voters turned down a $3 million bond issue in 1999."

um, isn't that like 16 years ago? Times change. The needs of the county and its people change. I don't think I would vote for someone who lives in the past. But, that is just my first impression. I would like to know who the people were that approached him about running. That will let you know where his focus will be. I get a feeling that the good-old-boy system (he was part of it 1996-2002) will never be broken in this county.

The building/development corruption that we all know about was taking place during his terms. Lots to consider with this guy (assuming you are more than a one issue voter).

• Like 2

"He said he opposes airport commercialization because voters turned down a $3 million bond issue in 1999."

um, isn't that like 16 years ago? Times change. The needs of the county and its people change. I don't think I would vote for someone who lives in the past. But, that is just my first impression. I would like to know who the people were that approached him about running. That will let you know where his focus will be. I get a feeling that the good-old-boy system (he was part of it 1996-2002) will never be broken in this county.

The building/development corruption that we all know about was taking place during his terms. Lots to consider with this guy (assuming you are more than a one issue voter).

I remember Roger quite well, he was my commissioner back in the day of the Bill Carruth Jerry Shearin Days I have had enough of the good old boys, he was beaten pretty handily by Larry Ragsdale in 2004 what has changed about him?

He was the last commissioner to try and get the airport in1999.

The pretty write up in the Paulding Neighbor may fool some but he can't fool me on the airport issue!!!!! He had his shot and failed, time for some new blood the GOB's need to all be voted out

BTW someone please tell what he did while he was commissioner ?????

Carmichael just lost. He might as well give up now. No one will vote for a airport person as we all know.

I sorta disagree. I've talked to Carmichael a couple of times about the airport. I think his stance about the airport is that he wasn't for it to start with, but now that it is here, the County had better do something with it to avoid being drug under financially.

Mr. Leggett's newspaper article amused me. I do not know him or Mr. Carmichael.

First off, since he is or was a firefighter, he wants to give all the firemen a raised. Is this to be funded with a tax increase? In so far as I know, we pay the highest fire tax of anywhere. If we have the best fire stations, the best equipment and the best paid firemen, what good does it to do to get to a house fire and the only available water is well water. The county says they cannot afford to lay more water lines and bring us out of the 19th century.

Next, he patted Scott Greene and Paulding DOT on the back and said their only problem is funding. Is he talking about another tax increase? Did Mr. Leggett fall off the turnip truck and his head stick in the sand, where it remains? I could write a book on the incompetence of Paulding DOT and their wasteful spending.

I did not see any vision for job growth in the county. Yet, he wants to run a county where he could not even make a living.

I am not for or against the airport. I can see where it is a great expense to the taxpayers not to continue, at this point. From what I read in the AJC and the MDJ most of the people opposing it "ain't" even from around here.

Sounds like just more "good ole boy" politics.

• Like 1

I sorta disagree. I've talked to Carmichael a couple of times about the airport. I think his stance about the airport is that he wasn't for it to start with, but now that it is here, the County had better do something with it to avoid being drug under financially.

Don't be fooled by what Carmichael tells you, he has served on the Airport Authority for about eight years before he was elected commissioner in 2012.

He did not resign his post to run for commissioner as others had to do, but rather after he was elected to post 1 commissioner remained on the airport authority until 1/1/2013.

Carmichael was part of the secret negotiations held in October and November 2012, and was also part of the scheme to not allow the citizens of his post and the county to become aware of the agreement to provide commercial passenger service for almost a year after the contract was signed.

Carmichael was on the Airport Authority when the building of the Airport was first announced in 2004.

Ask him what his role was in building the airport?

Roadcrosses:

I know Roger Leggett. He was not outspoken when he served on the BOC as a post commissioner ... and was replaced by a person who was even less outspoken.

He is conservative and obviously a Republican, as is Carmichael, Todd Pownall and others lining up to run in the GOP Primary for the post of Chairman. I don't know if I will be voting in the Republican primary so it would be very premature to comment on matters of support or opposition.

I will say that I suspect that others may enter the race and that raises the prospect of a runoff election for the post in the GOP primary.

Runoff elections traditionally involve the fewest numbers of voters and, given we're probably looking at another dirty campaign - those are mainly designed to turn-off the most voters meaning that factions that can get out their voting block usually win - I can't help but wonder if his candidacy is part of a deliberate design to throw the campaign into a runoff. Of course that would be dependent on who exactly was behind the scenes urging Roger to run. We may have a clue to who these people are when his campaign disclosures are filed.

If you've studied politics, you would know these are often factors and are effective tools in selecting candidates to pursue specific policies.

I do appreciate his effort to direct the discussion away from the airport to other matters of county concern. How he plays that position in the upcoming election will be interesting. I.e. will he be critical only of Carmichael or will his criticisms also be directed at Todd?

As is often stated in literature and politics ... things do get curiouser and curiouser as we peer down into the rabbit hole.

pubby

Roadcrosses:

I know Roger Leggett. He was not outspoken when he served on the BOC as a post commissioner ... and was replaced by a person who was even less outspoken.

He is conservative and obviously a Republican, as is Carmichael, Todd Pownall and others lining up to run in the GOP Primary for the post of Chairman. I don't know if I will be voting in the Republican primary so it would be very premature to comment on matters of support or opposition.

I will say that I suspect that others may enter the race and that raises the prospect of a runoff election for the post in the GOP primary.

Runoff elections traditionally involve the fewest numbers of voters and, given we're probably looking at another dirty campaign - those are mainly designed to turn-off the most voters meaning that factions that can get out their voting block usually win - I can't help but wonder if his candidacy is part of a deliberate design to throw the campaign into a runoff. Of course that would be dependent on who exactly was behind the scenes urging Roger to run. We may have a clue to who these people are when his campaign disclosures are filed.

If you've studied politics, you would know these are often factors and are effective tools in selecting candidates to pursue specific policies.

I do appreciate his effort to direct the discussion away from the airport to other matters of county concern. How he plays that position in the upcoming election will be interesting. I.e. will he be critical only of Carmichael or will his criticisms also be directed at Todd?

As is often stated in literature and politics ... things do get curiouser and curiouser as we peer down into the rabbit hole.

pubby

Your mind is a dark scary place, isn't it.

• Like 2

Is Todd running for Chairman?

Why in the heck would you be wondering if he was going to be critical of anyone?

Much less someone that, at least as far as I know, isn't running for the job at this time.

Like I said, a dark and scary place.

Seek help.

Edited by stradial

Time will tell if Todd is running for chairman.

It maybe the powers elsewhere see his losing his seat and opening the door to a more representative commission where a Chairman Carmichael has a 3-2 majority, as too great a risk ... which could happen if Todd resigns his post and a pro-development candidate wins his post.

pubby

Time will tell if Todd is running for chairman.

It maybe the powers elsewhere see his losing his seat and opening the door to a more representative commission where a Chairman Carmichael has a 3-2 majority, as too great a risk ... which could happen if Todd resigns his post and a pro-development candidate wins his post.

pubby

Time will tell?

Gee, a month ago you were thumping Whitey for not having that "inside info" on whether or not Todd was going to run.

PUBBY, on 11 Nov 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

Todd has intimated to me that he is thinking seriously about running for chairman, Whitey. I'm surprised he hasn't been more forthcoming with you.

pubby

• Like 1

Stradial:

He did intimate that to me. I figure he is. Like most thinking people, I recognize that people can, and often do, change their mind.

That said, I will be surprised if he doesn't run. Still it wouldn't be such earth shattering a moment that I'll go into an apocalyptic fit and shiver myself to death.

pubby

Stradial:

He did intimate that to me. I figure he is. Like most thinking people, I recognize that people can, and often do, change their mind.

That said, I will be surprised if he doesn't run. Still it wouldn't be such earth shattering a moment that I'll go into an apocalyptic fit and shiver myself to death.

pubby

lol, and many in p.com land are saddened by that..... :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Rose Luxemburg

Mr. Leggett's newspaper article amused me. I do not know him or Mr. Carmichael.

First off, since he is or was a firefighter, he wants to give all the firemen a raised. Is this to be funded with a tax increase? In so far as I know, we pay the highest fire tax of anywhere. If we have the best fire stations, the best equipment and the best paid firemen, what good does it to do to get to a house fire and the only available water is well water. The county says they cannot afford to lay more water lines and bring us out of the 19th century.

Next, he patted Scott Greene and Paulding DOT on the back and said their only problem is funding. Is he talking about another tax increase? Did Mr. Leggett fall off the turnip truck and his head stick in the sand, where it remains? I could write a book on the incompetence of Paulding DOT and their wasteful spending.

I did not see any vision for job growth in the county. Yet, he wants to run a county where he could not even make a living.

I am not for or against the airport. I can see where it is a great expense to the taxpayers not to continue, at this point. From what I read in the AJC and the MDJ most of the people opposing it "ain't" even from around here.

Sounds like just more "good ole boy" politics.

Do tell! I have my own gripes as well! Where do you think the wasteful spending by our county DOT is at?? Lets compare!