Paulding.com

2-year-old boy dead shoots himself in Acworth home

ACWORTH, GA (WXIA) -- Authorities said a 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed himself at a home in Acworth Tuesday evening.

Police said it happened in the 1000 block of Athena Court in a subdivision near Interstate 75.

According to Acworth Police Officer Youlanda Leverette, the 2-year-old was able to get ahold of a family handgun that was left on a bed when the boy's father stepped away Tuesday evening.

Leverette said no charges had been filed as of this point, but that the preliminary investigation was underway.

The rest of the story

Does anyone else think charges would make a difference?

For most of us children are the most precious things in the world to us.

The pain of this would be a life time of guilt.

What will it take, how can we protect these children from negligent parents.

We put child abusers in jail and take the children away.

It is just getting crazy. People are running out buying guns that never really seriously thought about owning one until they felt their right to own one was threatened.

How many children have to die before some people say to themselves I am not conscientious enough to own one.

I carried one for years and yes I had small children. It always felt like a burden, I never forgot where it was or my purse when I carried it. It was a relief when I gave it up and I never felt any less safe when I did so.

Obviously a lot of people don't take it as seriously as I did.

As much as I am for gun rights, I would like to have a mandatory one time safety course required before purchase. Little things like always keeping control of it.

Much the same as for getting a Hunting License. Safety is at least 50% of that course.

You'd have to show your course completion card to purchase and to get a carry permit, which would act as the card in the future.

• Like 4

As much as I am for gun rights, I would like to have a mandatory one time safety course required before purchase. Little things like always keeping control of it.

Much the same as for getting a Hunting License. Safety is at least 50% of that course.

You'd have to show your course completion card to purchase and to get a carry permit, which would act as the card in the future.

Gosh, that would mean folks like Dick Cheney couldn't go hunting ... even at a NRA sponsored event.

But hey, it is their way or the highway and the way I understand it, they won't be happy until there are ten guns for every man, woman and child ... and given that level of greed ... even that won't make the merchants of death everywhere happy.

pubby

Gosh, that would mean folks like Dick Cheney couldn't go hunting ... even at a NRA sponsored event.

But hey, it is their way or the highway and the way I understand it, they won't be happy until there are ten guns for every man, woman and child ... and given that level of greed ... even that won't make the merchants of death everywhere happy.

pubby

I read a bumper sticker "I WOULD RATHER GO HUNTING WITH A CHENEY THAN RIDING WITH A KENNEDY.

pubby

Wow.

In Florida we are required to take a firearms safety course, which includes range time, in order to get a concealed carry permit. A course such as this, which usually is a half day or 6 hour course depending on where you take it, should be mandatory EVERYWHERE in the US. In no way does it infringe on your right to carry a firearm but it does help one learn how to safely carry and store a firearm. Many people these days did not grow up with loaded firearms in the home or grow up shooting them. They don't think twice about leaving a firearm where anyone can get to it. And like the lady who was on the range next to me during the range time, obviously a lot of people don't have a clue about never pointing a firearm at another person.

• Like 2

pubby

And responses like that from liberals whenever a conservative attempts to be even somewhat reasonable is why we consider liberals to be both idiots and dangerous to our rights.

The total lack of compromise in Washington is due to both parties acting like idiots.

• Like 4

ACWORTH, GA (WXIA) -- Authorities said a 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed himself at a home in Acworth Tuesday evening.

Police said it happened in the 1000 block of Athena Court in a subdivision near Interstate 75.

According to Acworth Police Officer Youlanda Leverette, the 2-year-old was able to get ahold of a family handgun that was left on a bed when the boy's father stepped away Tuesday evening.

Leverette said no charges had been filed as of this point, but that the preliminary investigation was underway.

The rest of the story

Does anyone else think charges would make a difference?

For most of us children are the most precious things in the world to us.

The pain of this would be a life time of guilt.

What will it take, how can we protect these children from negligent parents.

We put child abusers in jail and take the children away.

It is just getting crazy. People are running out buying guns that never really seriously thought about owning one until they felt their right to own one was threatened.

How many children have to die before some people say to themselves I am not conscientious enough to own one.

I carried one for years and yes I had small children. It always felt like a burden, I never forgot where it was or my purse when I carried it. It was a relief when I gave it up and I never felt any less safe when I did so.

Obviously a lot of people don't take it as seriously as I did.

So by this logic...

A person isnt responsible enough to have a home if their kid who electrocutes themselves on an open electrical socket.

A person isnt responsible enough to own food if their child chokes to death on a cheerio.

A person isnt responsible enough to own plumbing if their child dies in a bathtub.

How about this instead: A person isnt responsible enough to have a kid if they cant supervise them.

Once again people blame the gun instead of blaming the person. The firearm is incidental. The parent is NOT.

It's a tragedy, yes, but this is a case of poor parenting. It's all well and good you decided YOU arent able to handle having a firearm. Thats your decision and you are free to make it. Telling the rest of us what we may or may not do because of your insecurities on the otherhand is not acceptable, so unacceptable we have an entire amendment dedicated to it.

• Like 3