Paulding.com

TV provider, wi/fi?

The alternative would be a 4-g service but with a 50GB plan (a typical netflix movie is probably over 2 gb) costing $335 ... you might find you child watching youtube constantly on an ipad (like mine) putting you over the top where you're paying the extra freight above that at $10/gb.

I also wouldn't expect there to be any real relief and right now the cable company or maybe ATT are the only reasonable games if you're looking at even moderately heavy Internet usage.

pubby

Oh Pubby you are so nice but you could have written that in French and I would have understood more of what you said. I can't afford $190 per month. I use the internet all the time; no kids here; and tv on a lot so I can listen. i have no extra movie channels. this is crazy

That was $335/mo for the phone connection alternative.

You might try uverse? ... It is just slower but it bundles service with tv.

The wifi (unless you can get it from a neighbor who gives you a password in exchange for hot apple pies) is going to cost you $80-100 or so a month.

The TV game with dish and the like, I understand, can be a bit of a bait and switch ...at least that is the impression I got from the comcast ads.

What we really need is for the county government to activate the public facilities authority to market the fiber-optic system so that consumers can attach via wifi ... at a cost that would be half the cost of comcast. But that would take an investment and we know at least three of the four posts commissioners would find that outrageous on principal.

pubby

The wifi (unless you can get it from a neighbor who gives you a password in exchange for hot apple pies) is going to cost you $80-100 or so a month.

The TV game with dish and the like, I understand, can be a bit of a bait and switch ...at least that is the impression I got from the comcast ads.

What we really need is for the county government to activate the public facilities authority to market the fiber-optic system so that consumers can attach via wifi ... at a cost that would be half the cost of comcast. But that would take an investment and we know at least three of the four posts commissioners would find that outrageous on principal.

pubby

thank you :)

For a dozen or more years, we had DirecTV and Att phone/internet.

The DirecTV "Genie" system is an absolute nightmare. When we upgraded to the Genie from the basic system we had what seemed like a service call a week. The equipment failed, it was installed wrong, and their customer service is barely better than Comcrooks.

We went with ATT U-verse for phone, TV, and internet. There happened to be a package at the time which was 450 TV channels, the fastest internet and home phone for $155/mo. That is about $100 less than having DirecTv and the slow ATT internet.

I'm no fan of ATT as a general rule, but the U-verse plan has been good so far.

• Like 1

Who do you have service with now?

Call them and let them know you're going to disconnect. They will send you to their retention department and make you a better offer. It's usually good for 6 months. In six months, start all over again.

It's all a game to keep your money.

I have Comcast now and I have for over 20 years and never had an issue that couldn't be resolved

• Like 1

Pay for internet, use netflix, chrome cast or the like, and you get a wireless router for your home. We have comcast and though netflix runs slim at times for good adult programming, the little gets good variety and plus I enjoy watching the wild kratts, pokemon and curious george too. So for forty a month we get movies tv shows and wifi.

pubby

Do you know how much a fiber system to cover the county would cost? If it was that easy google would

already have done it. Don't tell me about the fiber running along 278 because the best I can tell not only

is it still dark, but they haven't finished it. I never saw them splice the joints where one ends and the next one

goes on. Fiber comes in sections and as to be spliced and have repeaters ever so often.

As far as internet none of the satellite people can offer internet at a good price, and it is slow with a delay

because of the up/down time. That is what is going to save the cable company. Most people are not wanting the

tv, only the internet. I gave up on local tv and only use hulu. I would love to have higher speed internet, but unless

they come up with new compression methods best I can get is 6 mb with dsl.

Who do you have service with now?

Call them and let them know you're going to disconnect. They will send you to their retention department and make you a better offer. It's usually good for 6 months. In six months, start all over again.

It's all a game to keep your money.

I have Comcast now and I have for over 20 years and never had an issue that couldn't be resolved

I have done this for a few years with Comcast. & like you said , good for 6 months then you had to call again. Well, this past month our bill is higher that it ever has been, I called again to get discount & they said NO, they don't do that anymore. ?? So I am searching for something cheaper.

• Like 1

Comcast raised my bill, I just called them and they got it back to the price I was paying before. I didn't even say I was CANX, just that I couldn't afford it.

I have done this for a few years with Comcast. & like you said , good for 6 months then you had to call again. Well, this past month our bill is higher that it ever has been, I called again to get discount & they said NO, they don't do that anymore. ?? So I am searching for something cheaper.

Mine was locked in for 2 years. Only catch...I have to pay a fee if I canx with them.

ATT DSL internet, wireless router, Direct TV satellite , Choice package (ESPN, History, Discovery, TCM, AMC, local, NGC, Fox Sports, Sports South, etc.), paperless billing, no problems since 2009 with Direct, upgraded to HD Genie last month no problems, total for both around $130.00-$140.00 a month. Yorkville area.

• Like 1

We have had Dish Network for almost 14 yrs. Year before last, I called them and told them that we were on a fixed income and being old farts that we couldn't afford these high rates and they gave us a $10 discount for 1 yr, after that was over. I waited 2 or 3 months and called them again. I explained that we could NOT afford this high bill and asked if they had other plans that were similar to what we have, that may be cheaper. They said NO. I told them that I was going to call around and get quotes from other providers and they sent me to the retention dept. The gave us a $20 discount for 1 yr. It's time for me to call again. 14 yrs and hardly ever any issues, a loyal customer should get some kind of perks like these new customers get!!!