Paulding.com

which chains check engine light free?

Our son drove down to Williamsburg to meet us for vacation and his Check Engine light turned on. He is 7 hours from home.

I believe they all do this, we used Auto Zone last time we needed this service.

o'reillys also.

I was in one of them the other day, and they had a sign stating they no longer check codes... I could have sworn it was O'reilly, but I've slept since then, so....

Just go from parts place to parts place until you find one, it's usually something simple. If the light is on steady, it's warning about something. If it starts flashing, stop and seek professional help.

Good luck to him!!!!!

Had this happen to me while dealing with my mom having appendicitis in another state with my nearly new to me explorer. My mechanic said that if it's not flashing and it's running fine, just wait until I stopped and check all the fluids. If it starts flashing or starts running funny, stop immediately. In my case, when I got it home and he pulled the codes - it was something to do with the evap system in the gas tank.

I was in one of them the other day, and they had a sign stating they no longer check codes... I could have sworn it was O'reilly, but I've slept since then, so....

Just go from parts place to parts place until you find one, it's usually something simple. If the light is on steady, it's warning about something. If it starts flashing, stop and seek professional help.

Good luck to him!!!!!

It could be as simple as needing to replace the gas cap.

• Like 1

It could be as simple as needing to replace the gas cap.

I've had that happen, and replaced the cap only to have the light come back on. As it turned out the system was carping about the quality of the gas, and "Bad Gas Cap" was as close as it could come. Found that out from a dealership.

Or tightening it. My CEL came on once. I happened to still have OnStar so had them do a diagnostic. Fuel cap was loose.

I was zipping through Kentucky at 3 A.M. coming back from Kansas when what I took to be the CEL came on. Started freaking out, pulled off at an exit with nothing open, then read the owners manual. Turns out it was the 'Maintenance Required' light! Needless to say I was wide awake after that.

Edited by Paxilpapa

Check Engine is emissions. If it runs ok,drive it. Maintenance Required is more serious. If oil pressure and temps are ok drive to a safe place and look for a garage. If oil pressure or temps are not good,shut it down,or be prepared to spend money. Maybe a lot.

Check Engine is emissions. If it runs ok,drive it. Maintenance Required is more serious. If oil pressure and temps are ok drive to a safe place and look for a garage. If oil pressure or temps are not good,shut it down,or be prepared to spend money. Maybe a lot.

My Maint Req light comes on every 5K miles and means "Change the Oil"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our mechanic told us the check engine light is almost always emission related. As long as the car is running fine it's okay to keep driving it. It won't pass emissions with that light on but it doesn't hurt anything to drive the car with it on. Our son drove his with the light on for almost a year because they couldn't figure out what was making it come on. Every code that came up was repaired but the light kept coming on. He finally traded the car. It was still running great but that darned light was still on. LOL!

I had an outside temperature sensor go bad. It said the outside temp was 32F no matter what it really was. Made the check engine light come on. Turned out that the harness to the sensor had a broken wire, replacing the sensor didn't fix it.

I had it come on a few weeks ago and it was a bad coil pack. Ran bad till

I got home and replaced the coil pack. I have also had one come on because

of a pinhole in a fuel vent pipe. I drove to Huntsville and back with it on then.

You should find out what it is before you drive it much. Who ever checks it

can tell you if it is a real problem.

There are two kinds of checking, one is a probable general idea, the other costs money but keeps you from just throwing parts at it. If you use the chain stores google that code with symptoms and make model of vehicle, look at what other people have experienced, usually works ok. Spend a couple of hundred and a mechanic hooks it to a ten thousand dollar piece of equipment and narrows it down real quick.