Paulding.com

Anyone a Type 2 Diabetic? My sugar was 38....

I called my Dr's office yesterday and left a message about 1:15 for the Nurse to call me back. I still haven't received a phone call. I need to know at what #, should I be worried. I feel shakey and every now and then I feel a little dizzy/woozy or maybe just a little light headed.

I called my Dr's office yesterday and left a message about 1:15 for the Nurse to call me back. I still haven't received a phone call. I need to know at what #, should I be worried. I feel shakey and every now and then I feel a little dizzy/woozy or maybe just a little light headed.

if your sugar was 38 you need something sweet ...orange juice or hard candy get it up to 85-90 if that don't work see a dr at a clinic or urgent care. I am a type 2 and know what you are talking about please do not take this lightly

Edited by OSU
  • Like 1

You might do some online searching. I have low blood sugar and mine stays around 70-80.

WEB MD

During the day, levels tend to be at their lowest just before meals. For most people without diabetes, blood sugar levels before meals hover around 70 to 80 mg/dL. For some people, 60 is normal; for others, 90.

What's a low sugar level? It varies widely, too. Many people's sugar levels won't ever fall below 60, even with prolonged fasting. When you diet or fast, the liver keeps sugar levels normal by turning fat and muscle into sugar. A few people's levels may fall somewhat lower.

Anything under 70 is usually considered low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Not to scare you, but this is from the American Diabetes Association website:

If blood sugar is below 70 and/or experiencing symptoms of low blood sugar:

1. Consume 15-20 grams of glucose(sugar) or simple carbohydrates . (i.e. 1/2 cup juice or soda, 2 TBS. raisins, 1TBS. sugar, etc.)

2. Check blood sugar after 15 minutes.

3. If still low, consume 15-20 more grams of sugar.

4. Once your blood sugar returns to normal, consume a small snack, if your next meal is more than an hour or two away.

If left untreated, hypoglycemia may lead to seizure or unconsciousness.

(info taken from www.diabetes.org)

Edited by Gagirl61
  • Like 1

I had a few Dove Chocolate pieces. I just checked my sugar again and it's 50. I just don't really know what # to be "real" concerned.

I would be concerned at anything below 80 what type of meds do you take for sugar? but to be sure check with a Dr. and as low said everyone is different but 38 is to low and 50 is still low..I start to feel weak and dizzy when I get to the low 80's high 70's and eat a snack. Its all a pain in the rear I know.

I've been a Diabetic for 11+ years and over time it went from 1 Rx to 3. I take 1,000 mgs of Metformin 2 times a day, 2 mgs of Glimeperide 1 time a day and a daily shot of Victoza 1.8 Mgs. Dr tried to take me off the Glimeperide but my sugar was rising so I had to start taking it again. But, these last 2 weeks I have noticed that my vision had been changing(when my sugar rises I can see better) and didn't need my glasses as much!! Then all of a sudden, I was back to using my glasses all the time!!! When my sugar was so low a wile ago, I was jumpy and shaking. I'd just like to know WHY this is happening. I had breakfast, which is unusual. We have breakfast maybe once a week.

You're jumpy and shaky because you're blood sugar dropped. It makes me feel real bad if I don't eat and let mine drop. You need to keep you're numbers up this weekend and insist on seeing your doctor Monday. I don't know why your numbers are dropping, but I know it can be dangerous. Even deadly.

Also, have you had your vision checked? Diabetes can cause a lot of vision problems.

• Like 2

I'am a type 1 and the lowest my sugar has ever got that I could function to check it was 24 and the highest was well over a 1000. Atleast thats what one of the ER docs told me when I was sick while back. You need to keep a snack beside you just incase you get up in middle of night and cant make it to kitchen.

• Like 1

My Mom is a type 2 and eats small portions of food every day, and a big meal in the evening. What is funny, her semi annual blood work to check her sugar levels always leads her to the "HOT" neon sign at Krispy Kreme after the fact to reward herself.

• Like 1

I've been Type I for 30 years. 38 is extremely low. You need to keep some candy or glucose tablets in your purse and next to your bed. At 38, you could pass out. You should NOT drive when you get this low. I'd be concerned once your number goes below 60. 70 and up is normal, but most people can function pretty well (except for driving) from 70-60. Plus, you don't know if your sugar is heading down even further.

If you tend to run super low and have hypoglycemia unawareness, you might want to look into getting a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor (CGM). You wear a small sensor on your body and it will send your blood sugar to your receiver every 5 minutes. It will beep and alert you if your blood sugar goes too high or too low. I have one and it is literally a lifesaver.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!! My #'s are better. I have an appt sometime in September when I called last Friday to see if I could get an appt for this week, I was told the next available appointment they have is in October. This is ridiculous!!! They should work in their urgent need patients. I don't mind sitting there as long as it takes, just as long as I could be seen!! My last visit was sometime in March and my A1-C was 5.3, 3 months before that was 5.2, 3 months before that was 5.6

Funny thing is, all I want to do is eat, I try to keep a lot of fruits. Even though my #'s are stable right now, at times I still feel nervous, jittery and light headed and/or dizzy. I have been eating a lot of boiled eggs with tons of salt, I do NOT eat salt otherwise!!! I don't know what's up with that either!!! I've eaten more boiled eggs in the last 2 months than I have ate in the last 30 yrs!!! Crazy, I know.

Thanks everyone!! My #'s are better. I have an appt sometime in September when I called last Friday to see if I could get an appt for this week, I was told the next available appointment they have is in October. This is ridiculous!!! They should work in their urgent need patients. I don't mind sitting there as long as it takes, just as long as I could be seen!! My last visit was sometime in March and my A1-C was 5.3, 3 months before that was 5.2, 3 months before that was 5.6

Funny thing is, all I want yo do is eat, I try to keep a lot of fruits. Even though my #'s are stable right now, at times I still feel nervous, jittery and light headed and/or dizzy. I have been eating a lot of boiled eggs with tons of salt, I do NOT eat salt otherwise!!! I don't know what's up with that either!!! I've eaten more boiled eggs in the last 2 months than I have ate in the last 30 yrs!!! Crazy, I know.

Those A1c results tell me that your sugars tend to run between 100-115 on average, which is very good. It concerns me that you are dipping so low, though, as that is dangerous. I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but you need something to stabiliize those numbers a bit. Do you eat small, regular snacks and meals?

I don't know much about diabetes but couldn't an urgent care type doctor help you out with this? It doesn't seem like something that could wait until September.

Dr Mayfield at New Hope Urgent care is quite possibly the best doctor I've ever dealt with.

Those A1c results tell me that your sugars tend to run between 100-115 on average, which is very good. It concerns me that you are dipping so low, though, as that is dangerous. I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but you need something to stabiliize those numbers a bit. Do you eat small, regular snacks and meals?

For some reason, I've been eating A. LOT, don't know why but, I did get in touch with the nurse at my Dr's office.i let her know what's going on, she will get with my Dr and will let me know. I sure hope I can get an appt, soon!!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am late to the party, but I just wanted to say, increased hunger is a symptom of too much insulin in the body, and insulin resistance. It basically means, your body thinks it is starving, because your cells are not absorbing the insulin properly. Some people even lose a lot of weight at this stage. A friend would literally be so hungry, we had to stop and get her a hamburger on the way out to eat dinner. The best way to control that kind of hunger and your blood sugar is to eat something every 2 hours. Preferably a combination of protein and carbs. And if your blood sugar level is below 70 you should immediately drink juice or something to raise it. Wait a few minutes and check it again. Low blood sugar can be just as dangerous as high blood sugar. It seems like you may be on too much medication. JMO. it is hard for some people to get your blood sugar under control once you have problems with it. The best thing you can do is eat something small every 2 hours and walk 30 mins a day. And check your blood sugar levels at least 4 times a day and chart them to see what affects you most.

Edited by Flour Child Cakery
  • Like 1

I don't know much about diabetes but couldn't an urgent care type doctor help you out with this? It doesn't seem like something that could wait until September.

Dr Mayfield at New Hope Urgent care is quite possibly the best doctor I've ever dealt with.

Is that the lady dr? We were very impressed with her there as well.

• Like 1

I had a few Dove Chocolate pieces. I just checked my sugar again and it's 50. I just don't really know what # to be "real" concerned.

Its subjective somewhat... but anything below 70 you might want to eat some sugar. I tend to get cranky when I fall anywhere near 60 or so. By contrast you may want to hit a dose of humalog, or w/e your on if you get at 140 or higher. Anything in the middle your fine.

I saw my PCP today, he did quite a few blood tests and a urine test. A1C and Cholesterol is all I could remember but, he wants me to make appts with my Neurologist (for my headaches and dizzy spells) Sleep Doctor (for my sleep disorder) Gastrointerologist (for a Colonoscopy), have a Mammogram and to see my Dermotologist because I have SHINGLES AGAIN!!! This makes the 4th time. Except it's almost a year and a half too early. The last 3 times that I've had the Shingles was Sept 2010, Sept 2012 and Sept 2014 and here it is July 2015. I'll have to pay for the Shingles Shot out of my pocket, which is about $250. However, I'll have to wait until this round of Shingles is completely gone!!! Oh well, LIFE IS GRAND!!! When you're dealt Lemons, you make LEMONADE!!

I take 3 Diabetes medicines, my PCP took me off of one of them. To see if this will help the downward spikes in my sugar. I eat all the time and have gained 10 lbs in 2.5 months.

Its okay to eat all the time provided you monitor your sugar and carbohydrate intake. If you find you are eating alot of sugar and carbs but still have low glucose then perhaps you need to vary the kinds of sugar you are getting. In addition to sucrose and carbohydrates try adding fructose and lactose to the mix. If on the other hand your sugar is too high then try artifical sweeteners such as saccharin and sucralose and stevia as well. If you do a lot of physical labor or esxcersize this will also drop your glucose levels so be careful about how much excersize you do. I used to ride my bike on the silver comet trail weekly until a few times when it almost killed me.