Paulding.com

It's that time of year again - Property Tax Assessed value up 16.52% !

Got the tax assessment form today. It's official, the recession has passed according to the assessor's office, our house is now valued 6.9% higher than it's previous peak in 2008, up 16.52% from last year.

Holy CARP!!

If the rates are left the same it's going to be a heck of a budget hit for us. Of course since the escrow has been set at last year's rate all this year, I'll actually end up paying the underpayment for this year *plus* the adjustment for next year *plus* the increase in the reserve that the $%$#@#@!D!! bank keeps for no good reason, so figure my payment will jump $150 a month or so next Sept.

Dang, just Dang.

• Like 1

I hate to think what mine would be, if I still lived there. I think the tax assessors hated me, because I was known as a trouble masker. It cost heck out of a Paulding county citizen, in taxes, to be known as a trouble masker.

I was just trying to get the county to abide by their own ordinances, and was not attempting to be a trouble maker. Not only high taxes, but it cost heck out of a citizen to even get a declaratory judgment to get the country to abide by their own ordinances.

I feel your pain, even now, folks. But, by God I don't feel it in my pocket book, ANY MORE!

Edited by The Postman

There is a appeal procedure for those of you who feel that your property is appraised to high, Use it. Or hire someone to use it for you.

Many were appealed and many were lowered

• Like 1

There is a appeal procedure for those of you who feel that your property is appraised to high, Use it. Or hire someone to use it for you.

Just looked at the sales in the neighborhood in the last year, this may be an option for me. Only one house has sold for more than my value and it was a highly decorated home with in-ground pool w/solar heater in a cul-de-sac.

Up 20% tp the highest level ever since it was built in 1999. Had it appraised last year, still lower than the appraisal, but not by much. Can't wait to hear my neighbors bitch. Theirs are always much higher than mine and people can't believe it. It gives me laughs for a night or two at the bar. Can't wait, always enjoy a good laugh.

Mine is up 342 dollars from last year. It is the most its every been. No house the size of mine has sold for what they are saying its worth.

Did paulding county raise the mileage rate a couple years ago with promise to decrease once the economy returned?

Mine went up $50,000 in the last 3 years. I bought right out of college and, apparently, at the perfect bottom of the market. I'm all kinds of good with paying more taxes because my realtor said my house is more than the appraisal. I'm all kinds of happy!

The appraisal keeps going up and I've already made lots of equity!

• Like 1

Mine went up $50,000 in the last 3 years. I bought right out of college and, apparently, at the perfect bottom of the market. I'm all kinds of good with paying more taxes because my realtor said my house is more than the appraisal. I'm all kinds of happy!

The appraisal keeps going up and I've already made lots of equity!

See, that's the part that is not being addressed. Increased value means a higher tax but it also means higher values for our properties. That's a good thing for the local residential RE market. God knows, I'm all for that.

• Like 1

I've appealed three assessments. Won the last two of them. The first one I was totally unprepared and lost. At the last one, we took pictures to show what the area looked like with the *lovely* blue industrial building on the opposite corner, the envelope company just up the street, the chemical plant down the street and the railroad tracks just on the other side of the two lane road. Won that appeal and they actually reduced the value to less than we were asking for. And mailed us the decision the next day.

• Like 2

Whitey, that's for the tip. I may just appeal then.

While I have improved the home, across the street is a storage lot for stone, rotting hay bales and assorted other equipment. Fence was never completed. What's there is falling down. And not one house has sold in the subdivision behind me....they've gone rental.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long it takes for the BOA to review your appeal? they were at the house taking pics two weeks ago.

I'm thinking 4-6 weeks is what it took for us, but that was in Cobb. They should have it done before tax bills go out though. If not, there are instructions on the bill what to do. You can appeal the BOA review and go to the Board of Equalization.

• Like 1

I'm thinking 4-6 weeks is what it took for us, but that was in Cobb. They should have it done before tax bills go out though. If not, there are instructions on the bill what to do. You can appeal the BOA review and go to the Board of Equalization.

Thanks. they had the value jumping 53%! ouch

Thanks. they had the value jumping 53%! ouch

I don't remember what ours jumped in 2005 but it was a significant amount. It was before the remodel we did so basically it was the same house as it was in 1955. Plus someone stuck up an ugly blue industrial building which blocked the view of beautiful downtown Austell. We went to the Board of Equalization, took pictures of the view out all the windows, a signed contract for sell of the house and the cancellation of that contract giving the reason for cancellation and won the appeal. They actually reduced the tax value to less than we were asking for.

We bought a farm (vacant land, no buildings) in Douglas County. First year we owned it, we got the assessment for considerably more than we paid for it, almost double if I remember correctly. We went to the courthouse to see what to do to appeal it and ended up meeting with the Board of Equalization that very day. Bypassed the appeal to the Board of Assessors totally. The BOE agreed that fair market value could not be more than we paid for it. They asked if we knew the sellers. We said we had never met them as everything was done by mail. They asked if we were related. Nope. They asked if we had mutual friends. Nope. They said that qualified as an arm's length deal and the FMV could therefore not be more than we had paid for it about two months earlier. We were a willing buyer and the seller was a willing seller and that was it. They actually gave us their signed decision before we left. They reduced the FMV to the amount we paid for it.

The key thing to remember about appeals is to have comparables or evidence of some reason that their assessment is incorrect.

I don't remember what ours jumped in 2005 but it was a significant amount. It was before the remodel we did so basically it was the same house as it was in 1955. Plus someone stuck up an ugly blue industrial building which blocked the view of beautiful downtown Austell. We went to the Board of Equalization, took pictures of the view out all the windows, a signed contract for sell of the house and the cancellation of that contract giving the reason for cancellation and won the appeal. They actually reduced the tax value to less than we were asking for.

We bought a farm (vacant land, no buildings) in Douglas County. First year we owned it, we got the assessment for considerably more than we paid for it, almost double if I remember correctly. We went to the courthouse to see what to do to appeal it and ended up meeting with the Board of Equalization that very day. Bypassed the appeal to the Board of Assessors totally. The BOE agreed that fair market value could not be more than we paid for it. They asked if we knew the sellers. We said we had never met them as everything was done by mail. They asked if we were related. Nope. They asked if we had mutual friends. Nope. They said that qualified as an arm's length deal and the FMV could therefore not be more than we had paid for it about two months earlier. We were a willing buyer and the seller was a willing seller and that was it. They actually gave us their signed decision before we left. They reduced the FMV to the amount we paid for it.

The key thing to remember about appeals is to have comparables or evidence of some reason that their assessment is incorrect.

We bought this one two hears ago. It was a HUD house and needed a lot done. We are still working on it but since it was appraised two years ago I just can't believe it went is worth that much more. The neighbor on one side has no change from last year and he owns more property and has more square feet but was appraised 23m less than ours. most of the houses in the subdivision went way up like ours.

See, that's the part that is not being addressed. Increased value means a higher tax but it also means higher values for our properties. That's a good thing for the local residential RE market. God knows, I'm all for that.

I have a family member shopping for a large chunk of property. He won't even look in Paulding because of the higher property taxes. Apparently on the lot sizes he's looking at there is a drastic difference between here and neighboring counties.

Not necessarily. Tax values and sale prices are not always the same. In fact, there can be substantial differences in them. I've seen tax values that were totally unrealistic. Tax values that were even unrealistic during the height of the building boom and even more so post real estate bust. Then again, I've seen some asking prices for property that was unrealistic, too.

One thing that hurts Paulding is the lack of exemptions and the low amounts of those exemptions that are available. I think homestead exemption is $2000. Two thousand??? Ours is $25,000. Thank you Florida!! :good:

But then again, we don't have the money for a new courthouse. Funny thing is most of the residents are fine with that. It's the county officials who want a new one. A sales tax to fund the new courthouse was voted on last fall. It lost. Overwhelmingly! Our courthouse isn't quite as old as the old one in Dallas is but it's close.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with a BOE hearing? Do they make a decision that day or later?

It depends. Usually it is later. We went to one in Douglas County and they decided that day but even they said that was unusual. We went to one in Cobb and they said they would make a decision in the next 3-5 days and notify us. They actually mailed their decision letter the next day.

It depends. Usually it is later. We went to one in Douglas County and they decided that day but even they said that was unusual. We went to one in Cobb and they said they would make a decision in the next 3-5 days and notify us. They actually mailed their decision letter the next day.

Thanks! I have my hearing this week and I am hoping to avoid my mortgage company paying the higher tax.

Thanks! I have my hearing this week and I am hoping to avoid my mortgage company paying the higher tax.

They should tell you at the hearing when you can expect the decision. We really didn't expect Douglas County to make the decision that day, and apparently neither did they. But they did and then sent a letter to follow up on it. With Cobb, they did it quicker than they said they would but we got the idea that they were going to rule in our favor during the hearing. I wonder if they did make the decision right after we left the hearing. But at any rate, it shouldn't take long. Never been to one in Paulding County as we never owned property there. Just a business that we owned and I worked there in the county since 1986.