Paulding.com

Unions Hypocrisy

Unions seek exemption from LA minimum wage law they helped pass

Union leaders in Los Angeles are being accused of hypocrisy after being caught trying to exempt themselves from a new minimum wage law they tried to impose on others.

For months, organized labor went after companies like McDonalds and Walmart, shaming any business that paid the old minimum wage. Carrying signs saying, "We see greed" and "We are worth more," union members marched outside businesses and appeared at City Council meetings demanding Los Angeles raise the minimum wage from $9 to $15 by 2020.

Yet after pushing through the new wage law, union officials are asking for a waiver that would allow any company that unionizes to avoid paying the minimum wage.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/30/unions-seek-exemption-from-la-minimum-wage-law-helped-pass/?intcmp=latestnews

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are you always "baiting" folks? And dont act like you have no idea what I am talking about!   Its crap like this that is turning your "posters" away.   You are a pathetic pathetic person......

There is no excuse for what the Unions are trying to do in Los Angeles. Blatant hypocrisy. Do as I say, not as I do. The Unions used to provide a service. Without them, many of the labor laws that are

Not true if you are great at your job.       Do you think you should be able to quit a job at any time for any reason? If so, why can't the employer do the same?

Posted Images

So, are you calling Whitey on Pcom a thug. I've met few men more Union that he.

pubby

Nope, it's a generic and well earned label that unions have earned over the years,

• Like 1

Nope, it's a generic and well earned label that unions have earned over the years,

Wow, ABR ... applying a broad brushed slam to a broad class of people ... I bet you have some great friends that are Union members too.

pubby

Wow, ABR ... applying a broad brushed slam to a broad class of people ... I bet you have some great friends that are Union members too.

pubby

Kinda like applying a broad brush to FoxNews, conservatives, Christians, except we've all seen union thugs in action. Are you in favor of not paying that 'holy grail' of 15 bucks a hour to union workers? You do realize this is a underhanded way to get more in the union to pay for those over-the-top homes, cars etc., for union bosses...

pubby

Probably forced to pay dues to have a job.

• Like 2

Kinda like applying a broad brush to FoxNews, conservatives, Christians, except we've all seen union thugs in action. Are you in favor of not paying that 'holy grail' of 15 bucks a hour to union workers? You do realize this is a underhanded way to get more in the union to pay for those over-the-top homes, cars etc., for union bosses...

Probably forced to pay dues to have a job.

All of my experiences with unions have been negative, starting at age 16 when I worked part time over Christmas in the post office. I was too productive and was told to "slow down or we'll slow you down".

About 6 years ago, I had a contract with TVA to replace all the bullet-proof glass in the guard towers (all 14 of them) at the nuclear plant in Chattanooga. We were to do the removal and reinstallation of the glass, TVA (which is COMPLETELY union) was going to provide the crane operators and other general labor. These pieces of glass were about the size of a residential front door and 2.5" thick, and weighed about 600 lbs each. Each tower had 3 windows to replace and we should have been able to do 2 towers a day...except for the union wanting to take an hour for lunch and two 30 minute breaks and knock off at 3:00 so they could drive their crane back to the impound yard. What should have been 7-8 days worth of work for my crew ended up taking closer to 20 days. I had bid in excess of $40K in labor thinking that 7-8 days would handle the job. Barely broke even after the union got through screwing around.

About 6 years ago, I had a contract with TVA to replace all the bullet-proof glass in the guard towers (all 14 of them) at the nuclear plant in Chattanooga. We were to do the removal and reinstallation of the glass, TVA (which is COMPLETELY union) was going to provide the crane operators and other general labor. These pieces of glass were about the size of a residential front door and 2.5" thick, and weighed about 600 lbs each. Each tower had 3 windows to replace and we should have been able to do 2 towers a day...except for the union wanting to take an hour for lunch and two 30 minute breaks and knock off at 3:00 so they could drive their crane back to the impound yard. What should have been 7-8 days worth of work for my crew ended up taking closer to 20 days. I had bid in excess of $40K in labor thinking that 7-8 days would handle the job. Barely broke even after the union got through screwing around.

That's typical union "productivity" for you.

• Like 1

Union membership in the private sector has been on the decline for 40 years. More and more people just don't seem to see them as needed much anymore and for good reason. Many people also view them as a negative now as well.

• Like 1

Union membership in the private sector has been on the decline for 40 years. More and more people just don't seem to see them as needed much anymore and for good reason. Many people also view them as a negative now as well.

And that is really unfortunate.

• Like 1

So, are you calling Whitey on Pcom a thug. I've met few men more Union that he.

pubby

pubby

Why are you always "baiting" folks? And dont act like you have no idea what I am talking about!

Its crap like this that is turning your "posters" away.

You are a pathetic pathetic person.......

Edited by mach4
  • Like 5

People who don't like unions don't understand that the United States is a union. United people stand, and divided people fall

I am in the P.com union, which I call it a membership. People come on here telling me, and everyone else, that union members are thugs. Well, excuse me, but by God, I don't appreciate it.

I'm not saying that all of the P.com visitors, who don't like this group of members, doesn't pay their membership, but I know the ones who have admitted that they don't. It's up to you to know yourself, and I only know what you tell me, about yourself.

A union is any group of people. That includes a group of lobbyists getting together with a group of Georgia lawmakers, in a back room. It could be in Savannah, Georgia, or Los Vegas, Nevada. It makes no difference where they meet.

Even a bunch of people who pays no P.com membership fee is a union, in their own right. Their pay off is simply that they are against unionization.

Narcissistic people are in a group known by their long-standing pattern of grandiosity.

I like labor unions, They are no different than any other union.

Edited by The Postman

I'm interested in hearing why you think it's unfortunate for union membership to have declined.

The bullying by unions which forces a person to pay union dues when they do NOT want to belong to a union is the main reason right to work laws are so popular.

• Like 1

There is no excuse for what the Unions are trying to do in Los Angeles. Blatant hypocrisy. Do as I say, not as I do. The Unions used to provide a service. Without them, many of the labor laws that are in place today likely would have either not happened or would have taken a lot longer to get passed. In that sense, they did a lot of good. They also helped to insure that employees were not blatantly taken advantage of.

I simply think that the reason Union membership has dropped is that they are not needed like they were years ago. In effect, they worked themselves out of a job. I wish the "civil rights leaders" would do the same thing and do such a good job that they work themselves out of a job too

• Like 4

The bullying by unions which forces a person to pay union dues when they do NOT want to belong to a union is the main reason right to work laws are so popular.

The unions that get together in back rooms of hotels, with a lobbyists/lawmaker membership, get their membership dues paid by Corporate unions, ABR!

Labor unions are the unions you don't like. You are on the side of Corporate unions, and don't give a damn that Georgians are back stabbed by the very lawmakers that they voted into office, and pay through their taxes.

But, hay, you didn't even care that Georgia lawmakers were doing that when you lived in Georgia; did you? .

Edited by The Postman

The unions that get together in back rooms of hotels, with a lobbyists/lawmaker membership, get their membership dues paid by Corporate unions, ABR!

Labor unions are the unions you don't like. You are on the side of Corporate unions, and don't give a damn that Georgians are back stabbed by the very lawmakers that they voted into office, and pay through their taxes.

But, hay, you didn't even care that Georgia lawmakers were doing that when you lived in Georgia; did you? .

Stick with the topic here as we're talking about unions who represent labor in different workplaces, i.e. the UAW, Teamsters, AFL-CIO, and other labor unions.

• Like 1

Stick with the topic here as we're talking about unions who represent labor in different workplaces, i.e. the UAW, Teamsters, AFL-CIO, and other labor unions.

Don't lie to me, E Z! The topic don't say anything about a labor union.

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] :pardon:

To leave out a union, of any type. is not sticking to the topic; is it not? And, not only that, it's prejudiced as hell against labor unions.

BTW - Are you saying that Corporate unions don't represent their employees?

Edited by Deputy Gomer Pyle
Edited because of complaint that TP called someone a liar

http://dpeaflcio.org/about/affiliates/

http://www.goiam.org/

The Benefits of Collective Bargaining

Wages have been stagnant for a generation despite sizable increases in overall productivity, incomes, and wealth. For instance, our nation’s output of goods and services per hour worked (productivity, net of depreciation) grew 64 percent from 1979 to 2014, while the inflation-adjusted hourly wage of the typical worker rose by just 6 percent.1 The single largest factor suppressing wage growth for middle-wage workers has been the erosion of collective bargaining - by The Economic Policy Institute (April 2015).

2014 Continues a 35-Year Trend of Broad-Based Wage Stagnation

Last year was yet another year of poor wage growth for American workers. With few exceptions, real (inflation-adjusted) hourly wages fell or stagnated for workers across the wage spectrum between 2013 and 2014—even for those with a bachelor’s or advanced degree. By Elise Gould, February 19, 2015

The Reality of the Retirement Crisis

The consequences of growing retirement savings shortfalls could be severe for both American families and the national economy, as a large share of households may be forced to significantly reduce consumption in retirement and will have to rely heavily on their families, charities, and the government for help to make ends meet. Rather than staying in control of their economic lives, millions of Americans may be forced to muddle through their final years partially dependent on others for financial support and to accept a standard of living significantly below that which they had envisioned. By Keith Miller, David Madland, and Christian E. Weller - January 26, 2015

Union Membership and Life Satisfaction

The authors uncover evidence that union members are more satisfied with their lives than those who are not members and that the substantive effect of union membership on life satisfaction rivals other common predictors of quality of life. Moreover, the authors find that union membership boosts life satisfaction across demographic groups regardless if someone is rich or poor, male or female, young or old, or has a high or low level of education. These results suggest that organized labor in the United States can have significant implications for the quality of life that citizens experience - October 2014

Unemployment Rate Edges Down to 5.6 Percent, but Wages Stagnate

The unemployment rate edged down to 5.6 percent in December from 5.8 percent in November. However, the main reason was that 273,000 workers reportedly left the labor force. The employment-to-population ratio (EPOP) was unchanged at 59.2 percent, roughly 4.0 percentage points below the pre-recession level. By Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research - January 2015

From the US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor & Statistics BLS%20Logo.jpg

I'm interested in hearing why you think it's unfortunate for union membership to have declined.

You're not interested in hearing another point of view. You are only interested in arguing until you turn the topic to the us vs them.

• Like 1

You're not interested in hearing another point of view. You are only interested in arguing until you turn the topic to the us vs them.

Even in a union setting, this is true of E Z, Peaches!

I have spoken about unions, where E Z tries to isolate it as something to do with labor unions only. It's clear that the topic doesn't mention anything about what union is the most hypothetical.

Prejudice comes in the body of this thread, and E Z doesn't know the difference between the topic of a thread, and the body of it.

Talking about the hypocrisy of labor unions. and leaving out the fact that hypocrisy is present among all unions is to seek to deceive the fact that hypocrisy happens, regardless of the unity by which it is generated.

Edited by The Postman

Seriously, I want to hear different points of views on this. I'm currently working on my MBA with a concentration in Human Resource Management. All my research and materials shows a decline in union membership in the private sector over the past 40 years. In our discussions in class as well as in our lectures, the point is often brought up how people have come to perceive unions as a significant contribution to the decline. Take for example how the unionization was defeated at the VW plant in Chattanooga last year, even while management of VW supported having employees in a union. Read article.

Last month, a unionization vote was cancelled at Boeing's plant in North Charleston, SC where more than 3,200 people are employed. The union withdrew the petition with the NLRB and cited the environment there was too hostile. The machinist union sent canvassers from the state of Washington who were going to Boeing employees' homes to sell why they should vote the union in. Read the article.

Why do you think employees are rejecting unions?

Even in a union setting, this is true of E Z, Peaches!

I have spoken about unions, where E Z tries to isolate it as something to do with labor unions only. It's clear that the topic doesn't mention anything about what union is the most hypothetical.

Prejudice comes in the body of this thread, and E Z doesn't know the difference between the topic of a thread, and the body of it.

Talking about the hypocrisy of labor unions. and leaving out the fact that hypocrisy is present among all unions is to seek to deceive the fact that hypocrisy happens, regardless of the unity by which it is generated.

[XXXX] there was no doubt at all about that this subject was about labor unions from the very beginning.

Using personal names.

Eddy, there was no doubt at all about that this subject was about labor unions from the very beginning.

I understand that, E Z, because you actually perceived that to be very true. But, I didn't see what you saw. How the hell could I?

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Unions Hypocrisy

Nevertheless, I share in your concern about union hypocrisy. But, without unionization we could not be a country represented by a Constitution.

If our Government didn't unite, and be bipartisan on important issues, we would be more of a Kingdom, than a United States. Obama would be dictator.

Edited because of complaint

I understand that, E Z, because you actually perceived that to be very true. But, I didn't see what you saw. How the hell could I?

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Unions Hypocrisy

Nevertheless, I share in your concern about union hypocrisy. But, without unionization we could not be a country represented by a Constitution.

If our Government didn't unite, and be bipartisan on important issues, we would be more of a Kingdom, than a United States. Obama would be dictator.

Let me help you out [XXXXXX]. The original post contained:

Union leaders in Los Angeles are being accused of hypocrisy after being caught trying to exempt themselves from a new minimum wage law they tried to impose on others.

For months, organized labor went after companies like McDonalds and Walmart, shaming any business that paid the old minimum wage. Carrying signs saying, "We see greed" and "We are worth more," union members marched outside businesses and appeared at City Council meetings demanding Los Angeles raise the minimum wage from $9 to $15 by 2020.

Clearly this topic was about labor unions asking for exemptions to the LA's new minimum wage law. Understand now?

Edited to remove complaint

Was that in the topic, as you earlier claimed, or in the body?

You accused me of being off topic.

Don't accuse me of things I didn't do, Sir!

Good grief. The TITLE is "Unions Hypocrisy." A topic is the subject of conversation or discussion. Hopefully I have cleared that up for you. Glad I could help.

Good grief. The TITLE is "Unions Hypocrisy." A topic is the subject of conversation or discussion. Hopefully I have cleared that up for you. Glad I could help.

Grief is only good if it's not mine, E Z!

If that is your perception as to topic, title, and body of the forum; why reflect what you perceive to be right onto my perception of what is right, by demanding that I stay on topic. I take it personal, Sir!

Did you mean to get personal weth me?

Grief is only good if it's not mine, E Z!

If that is your perception as to topic, title, and body of the forum; why reflect what you perceive to be right onto my perception of what is right, by demanding that I stay on topic. I take it personal, Sir!

Did you mean to get personal weth me?

I tell you what; look up the word topic in a dictionary and see what it says. Then come back and tell me if it is lying.

I tell you what; look up the word topic in a dictionary and see what it says. Then come back and tell me if it is lying.

Who are you to tell me to stick with a topic, when the title allows me to talk about Unions Hypocrisy. Who died, Sir, and made you King of the chit hill, around here?

OMG.....it must be the moon. LOL

I'm done discussing it with him. It's like talking to a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX who thinks he knows everything, but don't know squat.

Edited for personal attack
  • Like 2

I guess that most people believe unions were once good and are now antiquated. I know the hay market massacre was about getting an eight hour work day. We have unions to thank for a forty hour week. Pay for overtime hours. So very much more to thank them for. One thing I have learned about unions is that they have bargained for a reason, and the minute a contractor can stick it to the unions they will. I am a Union plumber and I bet you my training is better than any non union worker. As far as trying to exempt themselves from something they have pushed, give me one group of people who hasn't at some point thought the rules should apply to another and not themselves.

• Like 1

Good gosh almighty!

I don't see anything good about somebody taking it upon themselves to get personal enough to tell me to stay on topic, when it was what I was doing, in a thread about Unions Hypocrisy.

Don't do that, E Z! :pardon:

Edited by The Postman