Paulding.com

Not sure if anyone else feels the way I do about these stupid SLO tests. The kids bust their butts all semester long and a stupid test determines their grade. For example they have a 83 in the class fail the SLO and they end up with a 72 for the semester. The kids I spoke to said the tests included material they had never learned. I am tired of the kids paying because we have no way to assess our teachers so we test the kids. Makes me sick.

• Like 1

The eocts and ghsgts were supposed to be so horrible - but you could get study guides and released items for these tests.

The SLOs are made by the teachers, contain errors, are not allowed to be viewed by the rest of the teachers - where is the improvement?

• Like 1

The eocts and ghsgts were supposed to be so horrible - but you could get study guides and released items for these tests.

The SLOs are made by the teachers, contain errors, are not allowed to be viewed by the rest of the teachers - where is the improvement?

SLOs were given at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. They are a measurement of growth. So - what is looked for is that if a student made a 20 at the beginning - how well do they do on the same exact test at the end of the year? They were written by a group of teachers that are outstanding in their subject area (do you really want someone not teaching the material writing this test?). And, no, the teacher hasn't seen it because then they can teach to the test (isn't that something that we complain about?). If the standards are being taught, the students will be fine on the exam.

Not sure if anyone else feels the way I do about these stupid SLO tests. The kids bust their butts all semester long and a stupid test determines their grade. For example they have a 83 in the class fail the SLO and they end up with a 72 for the semester. The kids I spoke to said the tests included material they had never learned. I am tired of the kids paying because we have no way to assess our teachers so we test the kids. Makes me sick.

For those number, the student got a 28 on the SLO test. For a student to get a 28 on the final - there's more than just test problem.

If the teacher work product is student knowledge gained, then how else do we evaluate the teacher? For example, if you want to know if the person building a car is doing the job correctly - you test the car for quality control. If you want to see if the plumber did their job right, you test the piping. ???

You are confusing two different tests. Milestones were given at the beginning of the year and at the end. The SLO's were only given at the end of the year and count toward 20% of the students grade. Cobb County didn't count the SLO's against their students. However Paulding thought it was a good idea. Some students missed graduating with honors because of them. I am sick of all the tests. If we got rid of tenure and just treated teachers like any other employee then maybe we would see better results. There are some awesome teachers! Then there are some who are riding the 10 year train knowing they can't be fired.

https://www.gadoe.org/School-Improvement/Teacher-and-Leader-Effectiveness/Pages/Student-Learning-Objectives.aspx

Read this. Basically were are holding the students accountable for bad teachers. That is BS.

You are confusing two different tests. Milestones were given at the beginning of the year and at the end. The SLO's were only given at the end of the year and count toward 20% of the students grade. Cobb County didn't count the SLO's against their students. However Paulding thought it was a good idea. Some students missed graduating with honors because of them. I am sick of all the tests. If we got rid of tenure and just treated teachers like any other employee then maybe we would see better results. There are some awesome teachers! Then there are some who are riding the 10 year train knowing they can't be fired.

https://www.gadoe.org/School-Improvement/Teacher-and-Leader-Effectiveness/Pages/Student-Learning-Objectives.aspx

Read this. Basically were are holding the students accountable for bad teachers. That is BS.

So you want teachers to be "treated like any other employee?" You want to be able to fire teachers because there needs to be a slot for a new football coach? Or because they are costing the taxpayer more money after 20 years than a brand new teacher? Or a principal wants to teach a certain version of history? Or a school board wants only certain books read? Really? You really want to go to a system where there is no academic freedom to question at all?

I wanted teachers held to the same standards I am held to. If I don't do my job I am fired. Teachers not posting grades in a timely manner( a month later) or not returning emails or not teaching our kids is unacceptable. I can't sit back and blow things off because if I do I won't have a job. No a teacher should not be fired to bring a new coach in or because they have been there for 20 yrs. That is unfair business practices. However, not having the ability to fire a teacher because they have 10 yr is crazy. Part of the issue with our educational system is the fact that once a teacher has 10yr they are difficult to fire. So some sit back and skate by.

• Like 2

No ma'am. You have it backwards. The milestones are the replacements to the crct and the eocts in some cases. They were only given at the end of the year. The milestones were given completely on the computer. The slo (student leaning objective) was given at the beginning and end of the course (depending on a traditional or block class). The slo tests were given via scantrons (performance assessments were not).

Yes. In this county, the slos were given as the final exam. One to get the students to realize the seriousness of doing well and second to eliminate one more test they would have to take. The student had actually seen the rest already.

What other counties so are their business. Each county is given the responsibility and authority to do what they think is best for their county.

As for the honors situation-this unfortunately is a conversation that happens every year. There is a gpa cutoff and some fall below it. Last year my son moves up two places in his class the day of graduation because two students didn't do well on their finals. It is what it is.

It can also go the other way with some students that don't study, go to school, and not do good not because of the teacher but because they don't feel like doing the work or study and flunk the test. The teacher can't make a student study or come to class but is still judged by the students actions.

• Like 4

Class of 1995 set the precedent of what was on the graduation test. I personally would have had zero problem graduating. In fact my class would have had a 98% graduation rate. So what gives. I will tell you, excuse after excuse after excuse. I hear that some people are not good test takers, or that the teacher didn't teach the material. Well stop pushing your child to participate in every freaking thing their is, and start spending those hours reading and studying your schoolwork. I swear nothing is every your own fault, always someone else's. Buck up and stop playing the blame game people.

I wanted teachers held to the same standards I am held to. If I don't do my job I am fired. Teachers not posting grades in a timely manner( a month later) or not returning emails or not teaching our kids is unacceptable. I can't sit back and blow things off because if I do I won't have a job. No a teacher should not be fired to bring a new coach in or because they have been there for 20 yrs. That is unfair business practices. However, not having the ability to fire a teacher because they have 10 yr is crazy. Part of the issue with our educational system is the fact that once a teacher has 10yr they are difficult to fire. So some sit back and skate by.

A teacher can be fired anytime. After they become tenured (3yrs) , they have to build a book on them to fire them. Just take longer.

Class of 1995 set the precedent of what was on the graduation test. I personally would have had zero problem graduating. In fact my class would have had a 98% graduation rate. So what gives. I will tell you, excuse after excuse after excuse. I hear that some people are not good test takers, or that the teacher didn't teach the material. Well stop pushing your child to participate in every freaking thing their is, and start spending those hours reading and studying your schoolwork. I swear nothing is every your own fault, always someone else's. Buck up and stop playing the blame game people.

C/O 96 grad here, and there is truth in both points. Some kids aren't studying like they should, but the tests have changed along with the curriculum. When I was helping my 6th grader do statistics I knew there was a huge jump in what we did back in school. Oh, and it's "every freaking thing THERE is". And that's why I limit my son to one extracurricular activity at a time. He is in band also but that's mostly in school hours, but after school it's one at a time.

• Like 1

Slos were given at the beginning and the end of the year. Yes their counts. The milestone was given at the end of the year, and they say they won't get the results back until the fall. The grade don't count, but it goes on their transcript.