Paulding.com

Background checks

How far back do employers typically go back when doing a background check? Asking for a friend's brother who had a drug felony almost 20 years ago, first offense, nothing at all since except for one speeding ticket about 10 years ago. Thanks.

I run background checks when I put our employees on the e-railsafe system. They go back 7 years looking for felonies. We have had the Railroads deny people who have had a felony older than 7 years if it is theft or something they would be nervous about if the guy was on their property. They have also been denied for misdemeanors if they are "crimes of concern".

• Like 1

Tell this person to apply for a pardon. The process can take a year or more, but it can be done. Start a the court of conviction. My ex did this, and he had 2 felony convictions pardoned.

• Like 1

How far back do employers typically go back when doing a background check? Asking for a friend's brother who had a drug felony almost 20 years ago, first offense, nothing at all since except for one speeding ticket about 10 years ago. Thanks.

Have them see if it is actually still "out there" and being reported. Small towns and certain states' record keeping back then was not accurate when records got transferred into the newer computer systems. For $20 or less they can get their own background check online with various companies or they can get their "official" record by going to decatur / GBI headquarters and i think it is $15 to get your own record there.

The main reason i say to check your own convictions when they are decades old, is that because of the way databases work, there may be very little info out there (or none at all) and if he were to state all his arrests/convictions that are out there now, he will be updating the H.R. databases.

I knew a guy that exact thing happened to when he applied for a job at blockbuster video back in early 2000. I think they were using experian or equifax, etc for background checks with the in-store job computer and as soon as he clicked the box that he had a misdemeanor conviction, it wanted to know all the details, etc. After that, he could not get a job in any retail store. The way he figured it out was, as it turns out, when he did the blockbuster computer job application, he actually had the date/year wrong from what he remembered on the conviction and many years later he saw a background check with another employer that had the same error listed --- so, long story short, he cut his own throat by updating the system himself.

• Like 1

Thanks all! While I was looking for info, I found this:

http://gbi.georgia.gov/sites/gbi.georgia.gov/files/related_files/site_page/Georgia%20Law%20Regarding%20Time%20Expired%20Restriction%20Notifications.pdf

And this:

http://www.precheck.com/blog/changes-georgia-expungement-and-restriction-certain-criminal-records

Does this seem like it's supposed to stop his record to be seen by employers or anyone other than the law? And, it looks like it should be doable for him as far as I can tell. My head hurts from looking at too many sites.... :)

I understand there are certain county officials, employees, and consultants who are quite familiar with background checks. Give King David a call and ask him what Mike Jones knows..

Hehehehe

• Like 2