Paulding.com

What is so bad about eating horse meat ?

From the MEATING PLACE, a meat industry blog:

A bill that would ban horse slaughter in the United States and the export of live horses for slaughter and focuses on human health concerns was recently introduced in Congress.

The proposed legislation, called the Safeguard American Food Exports Act of 2015, aims to protect the public from risks to human health if horse meat were consumed due to drugs with which the animals are treated, according to the American Horse Council.

It would make it illegal under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to sell or transport horses or parts of horses in interstate or foreign commerce for purposes of human consumption.

Among the bill’s sponsors are Reps. Frank Guinta (R-N.H.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.).

The sale of horsemeat for human consumption is banned in the United States, but the prohibition is subject to annual congressional review. There is no federal law prohibiting the transport of horses across American borders for slaughter in Canada or Mexico.

More than 150,000 American horses were slaughtered in Canada and Mexico last year, then transported overseas for consumption, according to a press release on Buchanan’s website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past 7 years, hundreds of thousands of horses have been starved to death by owners who could no longer afford to feed them. Thousands simply turned loose to fend for themselves.

Most of the rest of the world, especially western europe have a fondness for equine flesh and pay a premium price compared to beef or pork.

Certainly it is more humane to take the animals to a processing facility where they will eat well their last few weeks and then become steaks, roasts, and horseburgers.

From the MEATING PLACE, a meat industry blog:

A bill that would ban horse slaughter in the United States and the export of live horses for slaughter and focuses on human health concerns was recently introduced in Congress.

The proposed legislation, called the Safeguard American Food Exports Act of 2015, aims to protect the public from risks to human health if horse meat were consumed due to drugs with which the animals are treated, according to the American Horse Council.

It would make it illegal under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to sell or transport horses or parts of horses in interstate or foreign commerce for purposes of human consumption.

Among the bill’s sponsors are Reps. Frank Guinta (R-N.H.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.).

The sale of horsemeat for human consumption is banned in the United States, but the prohibition is subject to annual congressional review. There is no federal law prohibiting the transport of horses across American borders for slaughter in Canada or Mexico.

More than 150,000 American horses were slaughtered in Canada and Mexico last year, then transported overseas for consumption, according to a press release on Buchanan’s website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past 7 years, hundreds of thousands of horses have been starved to death by owners who could no longer afford to feed them. Thousands simply turned loose to fend for themselves.

Most of the rest of the world, especially western europe have a fondness for equine flesh and pay a premium price compared to beef or pork.

Certainly it is more humane to take the animals to a processing facility where they will eat well their last few weeks and then become steaks, roasts, and horseburgers.

A Dothraki delicacy :)

Why is congress, or certain members, even considering a bill to ban not only processing the horses ourselves here, puting a fair number of people to work, but to even consider a ban to export the horse to be processes in mexico or canada as we have been doing the past decade.

And even sending 150,000 for slaughter, we still have had them dying by the thousands from starvation and neglect. Yet we consider the animal too Noble for the slaughter houses ?

Some of these, .....no most of those in congress really need to sit down and figure out how to remove the collective heads from their collective asses.

The tax payer steps in and funds the state ag departments to rescue, and often to put down these animals, plus the cost of disposal.

A very similar bill passed the HOR in 2005 but died in the Senate in 2006. Both these bills can be tied into the Horse Protection Act of 1970. A lot of equine professionals believe the HPA 1970 changed the definition of a horse from working livestock to a pet (although it does not directly define them as such). Thus you can eat a cow (livestock) but not a horse (pet). The argument over antibiotics/hormones etc. in slaughter horses would be moot if they were classified as food for human consumption. They would fall under similar USDA guidelines that apply to cows and chickens.

The bottom line here is why is there a group that prohibits people here, and around the world, from eating horse flesh produced in the USA.

Next would be just who is going to pay to feed these starving and abandoned horses whose owners can no longer afford to ? Is that something we want to pay for ? Or let the horses go for slaughter and be sold for food.

Instead, we seem to just continue to cut our noses off in spite of our faces and let these poor animals die miserable deaths that we still have to subsidize.

Sorry folks but we are still somewhat a culture of some beauty and grace and love of the natural. To a certain extent, I believe that's why we don't eat horses.

What's next? Our dogs?

• Like 1

Sorry folks but we are still somewhat a culture of some beauty and grace and love of the natural. To a certain extent, I believe that's why we don't eat horses.

What's next? Our dogs?

So the 150,000 that were exported last year we know of, for slaughter........just who was/is going to foot the bill to pay to take them in and feed them. Or do they just starve in the woods fending for themselves.

I find horses full of beauty and grace as you do. My older sister has a PHd in Equine Reproduction [i'll let you guess what I call her occupation]. But I also find the long horn steer a gorgeous and proud animal, not to mention the Spanish Toros. My God what an animal. The Brahma from Brazil. All God's creations, as are the chickens, turkeys, and sheep [i LOVE lamb].

Now Pigs ? Kind of hard to see them as beauty and grace, but bring on the bacon. And they are the most intelligent of all our domesticated critters.

Dogs and Cats, n.......not so much for me. But I know why we leave the 1 rabbit's foot on the carcass at the market. They look just like a cat skinned out.

Deer ? Graceful is an understatement.

So where do we draw line short of being vegetarians.?

We draw the line when our food supply is compromised and we have no choice but to eat it.

I've heard horror stories of the treatment of the horses that are put "on the truck" on their way to Mexico.

Its not that I think that the "killers" have been run to Mexico or Canada, due to the closing of the slaughter houses, in this country, is a great idea. I think it was a much more balanced system for the industry when the slaughter houses were open here.

Horses can be alive and healthy one day and dead in two hours. It's just the way it is.

That's why I didn't get any more horses. The brutality of it finally, after fourty years, got to me. It is a brutal business.