Paulding.com

Expanding patio and covering with a roof - WHO?

I think someone else's opinion is great, when hiring someone to work on your house. But, getting estimates is better than all the opinions from others.

I talk to several people who gives estimates, before making any decisions. And, it matters very much what they say, how they act, and a lot of my other decision making needs, before I let them start work.

When I was a young man I built several houses from the ground up. So I still use that knowledge to get work done.

• Like 1

I think someone else's opinion is great, when hiring someone to work on your house. But, getting estimates is better than all the opinions from others.

I talk to several people who gives estimates, before making any decisions. And, it matters very much what they say, how they act, and a lot of my other decision making needs, before I let them start work.

When I was a young man I built several houses from the ground up. So I still use that knowledge to get work done.

Thank you; that is really good advice. I will certainly do that. And i won't use anyone who won't come and give an estimate first..

• Like 1

Thank you; that is really good advice. I will certainly do that. And i won't use anyone who won't come and give an estimate first..

I think you are going to like your porch, MS!

I did one on the front, and back, here at my house. We just had patios, and I added special roof's, because I didn't want to frame onto the house. I connected them to the house, but under the overhang. I don't have room for ceiling fan's, but that's okay. We stay out of the rain.

BTW, I'm planning a Gazebo for the back yard, at some point. And, I want it high enough for a giant ceiling fan.

Edited by The Postman

I think you are going to like your porch, MS!

I did one on the front, and back, here at my house. We just had patios, and I added special roof's, because I didn't want to frame onto the house. I connected them to the house, but under the overhang. I don't have room for ceiling fan's, but that's okay. We stay out of the rain.

BTW, I'm planning a Gazebo for the back yard, at some point. And, I want it high enough for a giant ceiling fan.

I may have to ask more about what you did with the roofing; sounds like what I might like also.

I may have to ask more about what you did with the roofing; sounds like what I might like also.

Me being 6'3" tall , I only have about 6" above my head. That's because I kept the roof thin, by use of 2x4, which I put on 12" centers, for strength. At the point where the porches go out into the yard I used 6x6 post's with six 12ft. 2x4's glued and nailed together for the beam. I only have a 3-12 pitch, but it works well for the porch span's. The roofing material is a light weight corrugated cellulose, which I purchased from Lowe's

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12749-1115-153_4294806362__?productId=3010612&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Edited by The Postman

Me being 6'3" tall , I only have about 6" above my head. That's because I kept the roof thin, by use of 2x4, which I put on 12" centers, for strength. At the point where the porches go out into the yard I used 6x6 post's with six 12ft. 2x4's glued and nailed together for the beam. I only have a 3-12 pitch, but it works well for the porch span's. The roofing material is a light weight corrugated cellulose, which I purchased from Lowe's

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12749-1115-153_4294806362__?productId=3010612&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

trying to sent you a message; you can't receive?

trying to sent you a message; you can't receive?

Year, I have allow my PM abilities to get loaded up. I am spending more time on other projects, and not taking time to clear old messages out oh my box. I may get to that next week. In the meantime, good luck on your porch project.

It pays, really well, to be able to visualize what it will take to do what you want done. And, then visualize the materials it will take.

You then go onto Low's, and Home Depot's, website, and check all the prices, because tou know what it will take, and how much of each item you will need. It's better to over estimate, because you can save your receipt, and take back what you don't use.

I am a do it yourselfer, but will hire someone to help me. The thing is, you can get a good carpenter and do all the contracting yourself. A contractor makes more money than a carpenter. It's that simple. You can save a bundle by doing all the contracting, and not just hiring someone to do it all.

I do the contracting, and all the carpentry work, too, on my house.

Year, I have allow my PM abilities to get loaded up. I am spending more time on other projects, and not taking time to clear old messages out oh my box. I may get to that next week. In the meantime, good luck on your porch project.

thank you very much for your help!