Paulding.com

Injuries @ Paulding County Courthouse

81 year old female.

I REALLY wish the state would require yearly renewal for drivers license for people over a certain age. I don't know what that age should be though.

My father is turning 79 next month, he is still driving OK, but who knows what could happen in the next 4 years. He has slipped in the last few years, just with the simple fact that he has little "opps" now and then, like hitting the garage door frame. Pulling out of the garage with his liftgate still up on his Suburban.

My brother, sister and I have had the conversation. We are all keeping on eye on him for the time we feel it necessary to take his keys.

• Like 3

How in the world did the poor woman get the car to come in at that angle? Feel bad for her (the people she hit too). My FIL was prone to doing that kind of thing when he was still driving. Never hit a person, but did take out a row of vans once.

Looks like after she jumped the curb, she drove down through the breezeway.

Looking at the front of the courthouse, right side around the back, middle (if that makes sense) where there's the gas pipes etc., there's no barrier between parking and those pipes. Someone could hit the gas instead of the brakes and it would be a huge disaster. Just an FYI if someone knows the 'powers that be' they should be alerted about it.

The lady who passed away was my uncles ex wife... her son had dropped her off while he went to park since it was raining. and this happened while he was parking his car. , he was able to get back to his mom before she passed away. please say a prayer for my uncle and his kids.

The lady who passed away was my uncles ex wife... her son had dropped her off while he went to park since it was raining. and this happened while he was parking his car. , he was able to get back to his mom before she passed away. please say a prayer for my uncle and his kids.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.

I am so sorry. Prayers for all her family.

Prayers for you, the family and EVERYONE that was touched by this tragic accident.

I will have them in my thoughts ...

LR, we have a semi-common link here. The lady who passed away is my cousin in-law's mother. Basically my first cousin's mother in law. I felt shocked to hear this, so I am sure her immediate family is feeling numb because you are never prepared for something this sudden. Everyone, please keep my cousin in-law and her family in your prayers for comfort and peace.

• Like 1

LR, we have a semi-common link here. The lady who passed away is my cousin in-law's mother. Basically my first cousin's mother in law. I felt shocked to hear this, so I am sure her immediate family is feeling numb because you are never prepared for something this sudden. Everyone, please keep my cousin in-law and her family in your prayers for comfort and peace.

They will all be in my prayers.

• Like 1

Lady Raider & MsGaStorm. You will all be in our prayers. I went to school with her brother Larry &

our daughter-in-law went to school with her daughter Amy. I have not been able to wrap my head

around this. So very sad & heartbreaking. Prayers for all her friends & family. :(

• Like 2

Most of the people killed on the highway are killed by the younger folks.Wanta stop everybody from driving?I was almost hit head-on this week in New Hope by a fool passing two cars on a hill,across a double yellow line.I see this at least once a week on 381 going to work.

• Like 2

Most of the people killed on the highway are killed by the younger folks.Wanta stop everybody from driving?I was almost hit head-on this week in New Hope by a fool passing two cars on a hill,across a double yellow line.I see this at least once a week on 381 going to work.

Killed by younger people? With all due respect, where are the facts on that?

I don't have any facts, but I do have a couple of life observations.

• Insurance premiums are much higher for young drivers. Keep in mind insurance premiums are based on statistical history factors.

• I had more tickets and accidents during my 16 to 20 years of age (4 total years) than I have had from ages 21 to 62 (41 total years) years of age.

• Most near misses, tailgating and stupid moved I experianced in my first 4 years were committed by me.

• Most near misses, tailgating and stupid moves I have witnessed in these last 41 years were caused by younger drivers.

I expect the discussion of when to take away a driver's privileges has been argued for the past 60 years and I expect this subject will be a hot topic 60 years from now.

• Insurance premiums are much higher for young drivers. Keep in mind insurance premiums are based on statistical history factors.

• I had more tickets and accidents during my 16 to 20 years of age (4 total years) than I have had from ages 21 to 62 (41 total years) years of age.

• Most near misses, tailgating and stupid moved I experianced in my first 4 years were committed by me.

• Most near misses, tailgating and stupid moves I have witnessed in these last 41 years were caused by younger drivers.

I expect the discussion of when to take away a driver's privileges has been argued for the past 60 years and I expect this subject will be a hot topic 60 years from now.

Mojo, I've missed you and your voice of reason.

I posted that comment with my heart, not my head, lol.

I have two young drivers here. I'm constantly worried that someone will cause harm to them while driving. Color me a sometimes overly concerned and sensitive mama. :)

I was up at the Courthouse on Saturday afternoon for my brother to practice driving in the empty parking lot to the side. There was a constant line of cars driving by the roped off area and people even getting out of their cars and getting a closer look! I know we are all curious on how she got up the sidewalk and at that angle, but come on!

I basically agree with your assessment on all points but the last point.

Self-driving (auto pilots) will become increasingly common beginning about 2020 or so and ultimately, the private automobile will be largely replaced by battery-powered self-driving automobiles that require only knowledge of where you want to go and a few ducats to get you there.

As I expect to be driving through most of my 70's, this should coincide with my diminished capacity and provide a great and easy transition at that time.

pubby

I just finished working on a blog post about negligent entrustment yesterday. There are facts that support this about teenagers.

Who is most at risk?

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16- to 19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html

I basically agree with your assessment on all points but the last point.

Self-driving (auto pilots) will become increasingly common beginning about 2020 or so and ultimately, the private automobile will be largely replaced by battery-powered self-driving automobiles that require only knowledge of where you want to go and a few ducats to get you there.

As I expect to be driving through most of my 70's, this should coincide with my diminished capacity and provide a great and easy transition at that time.

pubby

Maybe some attention should be paid to the correlation between the increase in the number of incidents involving airplanes (crashes/near misses, etc) and heavier reliance on auto pilot before we go and let the cars do all the driving for us...

Maybe some attention should be paid to the correlation between the increase in the number of incidents involving airplanes (crashes/near misses, etc) and heavier reliance on auto pilot before we go and let the cars do all the driving for us...

I understand your concern but remember Moores Law which basically says that the computing power available in 2025 will be literally enormous compared to what we have today. Since what we have today is proving the concept, it would appear that the innovation would be able to reduce the incidence of accidents in aggregate by such a large degree, that your concerns should be assuaged.

So, while I doubt that any automated transportation system will be 'perfect' ... we shouldn't let unattainable perfection be the enemy a whole helluva lot better.

pubby