Paulding.com

Selma woman strikes back at those who wear pants around knees

Different things offend different people is the kindest interpretation of a billboard erected within sight of the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL, cite of Sunday's ceremony remembering a bloody civil rights march where many seeking voting rights were injured 50 years ago.

Restricting voting rights of people in Alabama was pretty offensive to those whose rights were restricted but the backlash to that's state's reaction - a police riot that left dozens injured - was a key turning point in the quest for civil rights for blacks in the south.

Selma-billboard-via-NYDN-800x430.jpg

However ... it is obvious that as time has gone on, those who were once offended by uppity blacks marching on a bridge have changed their focus to those youths who wear their pants below their butts. Despite the fact a goodly number of white youths do this despicable act, you get the feeling those who are offended are offended for the same reasons - uppity-ness - that their parents and grand parents were 50 years ago.

A group calling themselves Friends of Forrest bought a billboard within sight of the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma to show their disdain for those who wear their pants around their knees as that was the 'non-racist' statement of the 'wizardess' who claims leadership of the group, named after KKK founder Nathan Bedford Forrest. The obviously non-racist (we certainly wouldn't suggest the conservative Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is wrong in declaring racism over, much less incur the wrath of those on paulding.com who profess the same!) the billboard includes the rather weird quote, attributed to Forrest: "Keep the skeer on 'em" the meaning of which must be an inside joke referencing those from New York, Boston and Chicago who might venture below the Mason-Dixon line.

Of course the term 'Wizardess" is nothing more than a term that the former Confederate General Forrest used to refer to his wife when he was having evening devotionals with flaming testaments to Christ in his native Tennessee.

We know that no one should be offended by the placement of the sign so that it can be seen by America's first black president when he visits Selma tomorrow. And I'm sure that no one would even consider discussion of succession as we are all very loyal citizens of our respective states that just happen to be part of the United States.

I mean there is nothing like the assurances of states rights advocates of their loyalty to the nation to warm a persons heart. I mean, if the loyalty is the same as that of our great, great-great and great-great-great grandfathers, we have nothing to fear at all; right?

And, I think the majority of folks who find me a liberal pinko would agree that the act of posting that billboard was justified considering the failure by some of all races to conform to the belt-line around the waist rule contained if not in the Constitution of the United States, at least in the new constitution of the confederacy planned for 2017 if the Republican lose the 2016 presidential election.

pubby

A whole billboard about kids who wear pants too low? Talk about a waste of money. I give these people as much credibility as the Westboro Baptist Church members. And of course racism is still alive and well in America. Anyone who denies that simply isn't paying attention.

For the record, I drop my daughter off at high school everyday and underwear showing isn't limited to one race, unfortunately. Or gender.

• Like 5

Why not just post what you want to post: conservatives are racist. It would save everyone else the time of reading such long winded posts.

BTW, Forrest was a Democrat.

Forrest was a Rebel from Tennessee. My first knowledge of Nathan Bedford Forrest was when I told that he rode his horse into the lobby of Peabody Hotel in Memphis ... which was about as true as Washington admitting to cutting down the cherry tree. (It was actually his brother, who accompanied NB Forrest in his 1864 raid and the hotel was the Gayoso House. The Peabody wasn't first built until 1868. I've stayed there and they are famous for their 'ducks.'

Oh, and if the Democrats had not changed, you'd be one today ;) The fact they did evolve from their racist heritage is why I am one.

pubby

Yes racism exists in every race. I think prejudice is more prevalent though. I think a better understanding of history pubby would be in order. If the U.S. had such an issue in the beginning with their southern brethren succeeding they would have been hung for treason. Only after the government realized the high loss of tax dollars did they start to have issue. But the billboard is bad taste. By the way levis started the sagging fad with their silver tab pants.

Funny, I posted this elsewhere before I ever started reading this thread.

Yes, the pants thing really really bugs me.

rottenecard_20743473_jjp2xx7mkz.png

As far as Nathan Bedford Forrest goes, well, most people have no clue as to what the man was really about.

Here is a copy of a speech he made to an organization of black people that promoted racial reconciliation in 1875.

Do these words sound like they come from a racist?

"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation.

I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt - that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going.

I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right.

Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand."

• Like 1

Funny, I posted this elsewhere before I ever started reading this thread.

Yes, the pants thing really really bugs me.

rottenecard_20743473_jjp2xx7mkz.png

As far as Nathan Bedford Forrest goes, well, most people have no clue as to what the man was really about.

Here is a copy of a speech he made to an organization of black people that promoted racial reconciliation in 1875.

Do these words sound like they come from a racist?

"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation.

I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt - that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going.

I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right.

Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand."

Shush Stradial ... you want that woman in Selma to find out the truth and take down her memorial to the Nathan Bedford Forrest she is honoring?

Here is the wiki entry on NB Forrest.... including a discussion of the Fort Pillow incident which, according to his obituary in the NYTimes (1877) had spent much of the time trying to erase his association with what was believed to be a brutal massacre of a contingent of black Union troops.

pubby

"... KKK founder Nathan Bedford Forrest. "

That is incorrect, Forrest did not found the KKK.

As far as Ft. Pillow, they would have still been killed if they were white, but of course that inconvenient fact doesn't keep certain types from throwing down the race card.

• Like 1

Why not just post what you want to post: conservatives are racist. It would save everyone else the time of reading such long winded posts.

BTW, Forrest was a Democrat.

Yes, Forest, and virtually 100% of the voting block of the south from 1860 until 2000 were Democrats.

The Republicans were the Party of Lincoln.

And Yes, the Democrats of the South, or Dixiecrats during that 150 years, were prejudiced and racist. But even up until and including those like George Wallace from Alabama, they were supporting and upholding the law of the land, even though many were passed during the Reconstruction Era. When Wallace stood on the University of Alabama steps refusing to allow the black [nee Colored] students to enter, was indeed upholding and enforcing the laws of Alabama.

When those laws were subsequently changed, and as the southern Dixiecrats embraced forced integration, like it or not, "crammed down the throats of the south", Wallace and many others of his nature accepted the inevitable and moved us forward.

Forward to the point where the Reconstructed South is actually more racially diverse, and equal, than their brethren in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and even to places like St Louise, nee Ferguson.

We were very fortunate in Georgia to have politicians like Hartsfield, Ivan Allen, Carl Sanders, the Talmadges, Sam Nunn, along with John Lewis and some of the other leading black politicos, to compromise and forge a New South, including Atlanta with its Phoenix heritage of a new city arising from the ashes.

Don't be so quick to reach out and slap at those you don't agree with.

• Like 1

Yes, Forest, and virtually 100% of the voting block of the south from 1860 until 2000 were Democrats.

The Republicans were the Party of Lincoln.

And Yes, the Democrats of the South, or Dixiecrats during that 150 years, were prejudiced and racist. But even up until and including those like George Wallace from Alabama, they were supporting and upholding the law of the land, even though many were passed during the Reconstruction Era. When Wallace stood on the University of Alabama steps refusing to allow the black [nee Colored] students to enter, was indeed upholding and enforcing the laws of Alabama.

When those laws were subsequently changed, and as the southern Dixiecrats embraced forced integration, like it or not, "crammed down the throats of the south", Wallace and many others of his nature accepted the inevitable and moved us forward.

Forward to the point where the Reconstructed South is actually more racially diverse, and equal, than their brethren in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and even to places like St Louise, nee Ferguson.

We were very fortunate in Georgia to have politicians like Hartsfield, Ivan Allen, Carl Sanders, the Talmadges, Sam Nunn, along with John Lewis and some of the other leading black politicos, to compromise and forge a New South, including Atlanta with its Phoenix heritage of a new city arising from the ashes.

Don't be so quick to reach out and slap at those you don't agree with.

Surepip:

Basically I agree with your statement. Where we may diverge in opinion is that I've also noted that the south has a small, but dedicated group of extremists and/or fundamentalists that view the world as black and white. Oh, they have these kinds of folks in California, Idaho and other areas (Michigan) etc. but the 'diversity' you speak of doesn't end with your Hartsfields, Allens, Sanders, Talmadges, Nunns or even Carters.

I'm talking about the former Birchers, paramilitary militias and good old Klansmen, skin heads and other proponents of racial and extreme religious purity.

I think that gal who is head of the Forrest group over in Selma is one and assuming that Nathan Bedford Forrest is the reformed man that Stradial points to, she might rebuke him and that attitude rather than give up her "keep the skeer on 'em" attitude. Obviously she is a believer in the guilt of Forrest at Fort Pillow and most likely idolizes NBF because of her mistaken beliefs. (If you not above, copied here, that was the logic behind the wizardess woman being compelled to take down her billboard.)

Shush Stradial ... you want that woman in Selma to find out the truth and take down her memorial to the Nathan Bedford Forrest she is honoring?

Here is the wiki entry on NB Forrest.... including a discussion of the Fort Pillow incident which, according to his obituary in the NYTimes (1877) had spent much of the time trying to erase his association with what was believed to be a brutal massacre of a contingent of black Union troops.

pubby

As far as the wiki entry, it presented both sides of that controversy and suggested, in aggregate, that NB Forrest had his come to Jesus moment as expressed in the speech he gave to the group Stradial posted.

Now if that woman would find the same path of enlightenment and understanding that NB Forrest had, the South would be a better place.

pubby

I think a billboard showing the origin of baggy pants worn half-way down their arse and why would be better. Perhaps if more of these people who wear their pants like that were aware of that, then perhaps they would stop.

You know zorro ... I don't notice those kinds of things... so I really don't care. Did you ever wonder if you perhaps don't notice them too much?

pubby

I'm with Zorro on this one, some people notice grammer, some notice if clothes match, I notice low riding pants.

Which started in prisons.

You know zorro ... I don't notice those kinds of things... so I really don't care. Did you ever wonder if you perhaps don't notice them too much?

pubby

I notice them, and I don't like it. It's everywhere. I don't want to be standing in line in some store and have to look at someone's ass. Seriously. And it doesn't bother you? Whatever....

What happened to indecent exposure laws? Yeah, he's got it covered up with his underware but I can still see the crack of his ass.

• Like 1

I notice them, and I don't like it. It's everywhere. I don't want to be standing in line in some store and have to look at someone's ass. Seriously. And it doesn't bother you? Whatever....

What happened to indecent exposure laws? Yeah, he's got it covered up with his underware but I can still see the crack of his ass.

I really bet pubby likes throwing insults and innuendos at anyone who disagrees with him. It must make his day.

pubby

I'll have to call you out on that one.

Edited by El Zorro
  • Like 3

I totally agree we were very fortunate to have the folks we did move us forward in Atlanta and not only accept change, but make Atlanta greater. Atlanta had some very rich and influencial black families.

I disagree about Wallace. Wallace did not help Alabama move forward. My family was in Alabama out in the country and in Birmingham. Alabama continually chose to resist intergration and got left behind. It's just been in the last 20 years corporations have decided to move to Birmingham. I remember in the 70's when Birmingham almost looked like Detroit.

And just to add, I still have family members in Birmingham that use the N word and are racist. They'll never give it up, they're too old and set in their ways.

I'm so glad I was raised here in Georgia and my mother taught me well. We never used that word. Although my step-father-from-hell did. He had a name for every ethnicity.

• Like 2

And Selma? I was 15 and I remember my granny and grandaddy (in Alabama) talking about the march in Selma, and how the white women were having sex with those n----- men and they deserved to be killed. How they were doing all kinds of things and should be killed.

Now as much as I loved my granny and grandaddy, they were repeating what they had been told. But I remember it like it was yesterday because it was so vivid in my mind and it was disturbing.

I'm not going to go back years to talk about racism, what would really be the point? In today's society, it seems that Democrats believe that anyone other than white people need the help of the government to be viable.

Edited by yathink?

I'm not going to go back years to talk about racism, what would really be the point? In today's society, it seems that Democrats believe that anyone other than white people need the help of the government to be viable.

Bull

That is like saying that it seems like Republicans believe that anyone other than themselves is qualified to vote ... oh wait ... that is 'also' your opinion, isn't it ... so ...

Bull

pubby

Bull

That is like saying that it seems like Republicans believe that anyone other than themselves is qualified to vote ... oh wait ... that is 'also' your opinion, isn't it ... so ...

Bull

pubby

Hell no, that's not my opinion. Anyone that is a LEGAL American has every right to vote. What I wrote seems to me to be factual, certain groups are 'helped' by the government while others are completely left out. People with signs that state Black lives matter are hailed as heroes, that's singling out only one group as if one group's lives are more important than others. We have 'non' profit groups that only help certain skin color while leaving out others. We will never be united when some pick and chose winners.

You point out anything I've posted that would remotely prove that I've ever believed that only one but group should vote. You're a liar. You democrats are the ones picking and choosing, not me.

• Like 3

As long as this world talks about race and color there will be prejudice.

We are people. We are all people, no better, no worse. Until we can look, talk and feel that way, we are doomed to fail.

I cringe every time I hear the words, race or color.

If MLK Jr. could have continued his leadership, I want to believe we could be a lot closer to eliminating the hate.

He was a true leader, an inspiration to us all. Our world needs more inspirational leaders.

• Like 3

pubby

This Republican thinks that anyone who shows up at the polls with a copy of their IRS 1040 in hand should vote.

You don't work and pay taxes? Then why in hell do you think you should have a say in how the money is spent?

• Like 1

This Republican thinks that anyone who shows up at the polls with a copy of their IRS 1040 in hand should vote.

You don't work and pay taxes? Then why in hell do you think you should have a say in how the money is spent?

So no vote for stay at home housewives, disabled veterans and retired senior citizens.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

So no vote for stay at home housewives, disabled veterans and retired senior citizens.

Brilliant.

Stay at home housewives file jointly with their spouse. Retirees file returns because they have pensions and dividends. Waivers can be done for those who are receiving disability.

I doubt very many of the corpses in Cook County, IL are filing tax returns...but they manage to vote now.

• Like 1

General Forrest had the greatest rise in rank of any officer on either side. He enlisted as a private and in four years he was a general. He may have given the speech credited to him but most likely did not write it as he was functionally illiterate. There are different versions of "Keep up the Skeer" (keep up the scare). Militarily it is a text book West Point military tactic. Pressure the enemy when they are in retreat. Forrest was a millionaire planter before the war and actually totally funded a militia at the onset of the war before he became regular army. He was a skilled horseman and a blood thirsty opponent on the field. While Lee, Jackson, Johnson, Bragg, probably never actually fired a shot in anger (during the Civil War) NBF was credited with 31 hands on enemy kills and had 30 horses shot from under him. He was indeed in command at both Fort Pillow and Brice's Crossroads where he totally routed the northern invaders. Yes there was a massacre of black and white troops at Fort Pillow by all accounts. It is unclear if NBF was on site or in the field when it actually occurred but he was in command. "Cump" Sherman said it would be worth 10,000 soldiers and bankrupt the treasury to capture or kill Forrest. Bold talk apparently because he never got close to capturing him. I guess Cump was too busy waging war on women and children to pursue NBF. NBF did not hold his hostility stritchlt toward the northern invaders he also call out General Braxton Bragg shortly after the Battle of Chicamauga (yep NBF was there). Bragg, a political general and a poor one at that, criticized NBF efforts.(NBF charged the center and broke through the Union lines and causing them to retreat toward Chattanooga, the beginning of a route). NBF called him a coward and stated that if he didn't think him to be a coward he would challenge him to a duel. NBF went on to plainly state if they ever crossed paths again it would be at the peril of his (Bragg) life. Bragg was in command despite the availability of Johnson, Longstreet and Forrest. He was a suck ass to Jeff Davis not the best officer on the field. NBF was immediately transferred. Forrest survived the war and regained his wealth in later years. He was the first Grand Wizard of The Ku Klux Klan although he did not start it. NBF probably was involved in the creation but he was not the sole founder. It was founded in Pulaski, Tenn. mostly by Confederate veterans and farmers. Sorry for the diatribe but I could care less about the EP Bridge I just find General Forrest to be one of the most colorful characters of the great war.

• Like 2

Stay at home housewives file jointly with their spouse. Retirees file returns because they have pensions and dividends. Waivers can be done for those who are receiving disability.

I doubt very many of the corpses in Cook County, IL are filing tax returns...but they manage to vote now.

So if you are among the millions that have been laid off or find themselves unemployed society adds a little salt to the wound by denying you the right to vote. If you're a full time college student you too are unworthy. Half of America's military enlisted men and women are on food stamps surely they don't deserve the honor of voting. Hundreds of thousands of veterans are homeless do you think they have not earned the right ? Well hell no, no 1040 no vote.

Your idea is so absurd it borders on comical. What I think you would really like to see is the old days when only rich white landowners were deemed the only people suitable enough for the right to pick their representatives in government .

Edited by CitizenCain

It is obvious the aim of this publicity stunt was to garner attention and sow division.

You have a choice to ignore the bait.

8)

As was, I'm sure, the person who videoed the antics of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members at the University of Oklahoma singing their little ditty. I mean, no one would have been offended if we all just ignored it and acted as if weren't there.

But that's not what happened as the Tulsa World reports:

Related: In light of OU SAE controversy, photo shows visible confederate flag hanging from OSU SAE house

VIDEO: Watch video of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon chant

VIDEO: OU athletes, coaches in prayer to demonstrate against SAE video

Jenni Carlson: Impossible to fault Eric Striker's outrage

Bloomberg: Deadliest U.S. fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, abolishes pledging for new members

University of Oklahoma President David Boren said the university is reviewing a racist video in an effort to take potential disciplinary action against individual students after banning their fraternity from campus. Earlier in the day, Boren banned the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity from campus and ordered that its members be out of their house by Tuesday night. Moving vans were at the house Monday afternoon.

pubby

PS: MRNN doesn't touch on this particular issue but does mention the climate in Oklahoma regarding education in his Pat and Patti Show editorial to air later this week.

Pubby, many on here say you are a nice person but responses like this make me wonder if you are an arrogant asshole. ;)

You would be a Democrat today had the party not moved left. Why would stating that fact make him an arrogant asshole?

Are you all so wrapped up in labels and stereotypes that the meaning and background of the actual words you use no longer matter to you?

• Like 2

General Forrest had the greatest rise in rank of any officer on either side. He enlisted as a private and in four years he was a general. He may have given the speech credited to him but most likely did not write it as he was functionally illiterate. There are different versions of "Keep up the Skeer" (keep up the scare). Militarily it is a text book West Point military tactic. Pressure the enemy when they are in retreat. Forrest was a millionaire planter before the war and actually totally funded a militia at the onset of the war before he became regular army. He was a skilled horseman and a blood thirsty opponent on the field. While Lee, Jackson, Johnson, Bragg, probably never actually fired a shot in anger (during the Civil War) NBF was credited with 31 hands on enemy kills and had 30 horses shot from under him. He was indeed in command at both Fort Pillow and Brice's Crossroads where he totally routed the northern invaders. Yes there was a massacre of black and white troops at Fort Pillow by all accounts. It is unclear if NBF was on site or in the field when it actually occurred but he was in command. "Cump" Sherman said it would be worth 10,000 soldiers and bankrupt the treasury to capture or kill Forrest. Bold talk apparently because he never got close to capturing him. I guess Cump was too busy waging war on women and children to pursue NBF. NBF did not hold his hostility stritchlt toward the northern invaders he also call out General Braxton Bragg shortly after the Battle of Chicamauga (yep NBF was there). Bragg, a political general and a poor one at that, criticized NBF efforts.(NBF charged the center and broke through the Union lines and causing them to retreat toward Chattanooga, the beginning of a route). NBF called him a coward and stated that if he didn't think him to be a coward he would challenge him to a duel. NBF went on to plainly state if they ever crossed paths again it would be at the peril of his (Bragg) life. Bragg was in command despite the availability of Johnson, Longstreet and Forrest. He was a suck ass to Jeff Davis not the best officer on the field. NBF was immediately transferred. Forrest survived the war and regained his wealth in later years. He was the first Grand Wizard of The Ku Klux Klan although he did not start it. NBF probably was involved in the creation but he was not the sole founder. It was founded in Pulaski, Tenn. mostly by Confederate veterans and farmers. Sorry for the diatribe but I could care less about the EP Bridge I just find General Forrest to be one of the most colorful characters of the great war.

Civil war historian, Shelby Foote, said that Forrest was one of two true geniuses of the Civil War.

The other was Abraham Lincoln.

As was, I'm sure, the person who videoed the antics of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members at the University of Oklahoma singing their little ditty. I mean, no one would have been offended if we all just ignored it and acted as if weren't there.

But that's not what happened as the Tulsa World reports:

pubby

PS: MRNN doesn't touch on this particular issue but does mention the climate in Oklahoma regarding education in his Pat and Patti Show editorial to air later this week.

I demolished Mrnn's argument about education yesterday.

Notes: the word "demolished" may mean different things to different people

I'm just gonna say this..........

Racism exists on both sides. I've seen, heard it and felt it.

As a white person that has many friends in the black community, some are very honest in saying how they feel about white people. And I understand what they're saying.

As a white person that has a grandson that is mixed, I've seen the prejudice against black people. I've always let people know that I have a brown grandson and from that point on I never have to hear that kind of talk from other white people.

I'm prejudiced myself, but it's not based on the color of their skin, but based on the content of their character. This includes blacks, whites and all ethnicities.

At least I try to be honest about it.

I'm just gonna say this..........

Racism exists on both sides. I've seen, heard it and felt it.

As a white person that has many friends in the black community, some are very honest in saying how they feel about white people. And I understand what they're saying.

As a white person that has a grandson that is mixed, I've seen the prejudice against black people. I've always let people know that I have a brown grandson and from that point on I never have to hear that kind of talk from other white people.

I'm prejudiced myself, but it's not based on the color of their skin, but based on the content of their character. This includes blacks, whites and all ethnicities.

At least I try to be honest about it.

I wish I could say the same about my grandkids.

I showed a lady customer, in S GA, a picture of my grandkids and it didn't stop her from making comments about their having a white dad and black mother.

So if you are among the millions that have been laid off or find themselves unemployed society adds a little salt to the wound by denying you the right to vote. If you're a full time college student you too are unworthy. Half of America's military enlisted men and women are on food stamps surely they don't deserve the honor of voting. Hundreds of thousands of veterans are homeless do you think they have not earned the right ? Well hell no, no 1040 no vote.

Your idea is so absurd it borders on comical. What I think you would really like to see is the old days when only rich white landowners were deemed the only people suitable enough for the right to pick their representatives in government .

BS BS BS. Half of our military are not on food stamps. According to this NBC news story. It's important to note though NBC is including those in the Reserves and National Guard. According to this news story more than 5,000 of the 48 million receiving food stamps claimed to be active duty military when completing the paperwork.