Paulding.com

Why would you have this person working for you?

Ever since 2010 I have used the dry cleaners in the Kroger shopping center on Ridge Road.

There has been a young girl working there for most, if not all, that time.

I have never seen this girl smile, not once.

I have never seen this girl show any kind of understanding of what customer service is.

I have seen her stand there, playing with her phone, while I waited for her to help me.

I guess if I were forced to say, she has the personality of a dead fish.

A couple of years ago I showed up one Saturday about 10 minutes before closing.

I was dropping off not picking up.

There was a lady, driving a Mercedes SUV, in the drive through when I pulled up.

I have no idea what the problem was with the lady in the SUV, but there was a lot of back and forth between the young girl and the lady in the SUV.

Finally, at 1 minute past closing, the lady drove off and I pulled up.

While I was giving the young girl my clothes, she was just a complaining about, "people who show up at closing time, expecting to get waited on" and about how she "had things to do and didn't have time to stay after closing time". (if memory serves, she had some church function to go to)

I told her that I was there 10 minutes before closing and that I was only there after closing because it took so long with the lady ahead of me.

That caused the young lady to start complaining about the lady ahead of me.

Finally I got tired of this and suggested that she quit complaining about the people who helped pay her for her work. (or something along those lines, it was a couple yrs ago)

The young girl basically said, screw you, and as the saying goes...then the fight started.

I ended up taking my clothes back and then on the following Monday, spoke with the manager about what happened.

The manager apologized and asked me to continue to use them, but I decided to take my business elsewhere for a while.

After six months or so, I started using the dry cleaners at the Kroger again.

I never saw the young girl and thought perhaps she had been let go,

Back then I was at the dry cleaners at least once a month, but from last September, I haven't used them but once or twice.

This past Thursday I dropped of two pieces of cushion covers to be cleaned.

The lady said they would be ready Friday evening.

So today I went to pick them up.

There was a young gal there and the young lady from my story above, you know, Miss Personality.

I gave then young lady my ticket and she advised that the two cushion covers were not back, but I did have a shirt to pick up.

Then Miss Personality said that I owed for two pieces that I had picked up but never paid for.

I said that I couldn't recall ever picking up any cleaning and not paying for it, ever.

I asked when that happened.

Miss Personality said it happened in February of 2014.

I replied, you mean that for the past year no one has bothered to mention I owed extra money?

Miss Personality replied, "I only know what's in the computer.", with her typical, I don't give a damn attitude.

I had already given my card to the other young girl and told her to "do what you have to do" concerning payment, before I had the above discussion with Miss Personality, so I did pay for the two pieces from a yr ago.

While the young girl was having me sign the receipt, I replied back to Miss Personality something about "I didn't give a (crap) what the computer said" and about the way she acted being wrong and her attitude sucking.

(I was mad at this point)

Miss Personality basically told me to go to hell and a few other things.

Needless to say, it went downhill from there.

My question is, why in the heck would you keep someone who cares nothing about the customers working in your place of business?

I cannot be the only person to have a problem with this girl, I'm just not that special.

Is she a family member?

Does do she do "extra work" for the owner?

Does the owner and manager just not care about their customers?

What is it?

Why keep someone with such a sorry attitude around.

Just for the record, my mother works in a dry cleaner (at 81 yrs old) and has for approx 30 years, so I have never thought I was above anyone working at a dry cleaner.

OK first you call out some internet troll that claims you are an undercover informant for Delta Airlines (or something like that). Now you are starting trouble with what sounds like a lovely young lady who is just trying to keep her social media profile up to date and you keep interrupting her. Maybe you should look in the mirror Mr. Stradial.

• Like 6

OK first you call out some internet troll that claims you are an undercover informant for Delta Airlines (or something like that). Now you are starting trouble with what sounds like a lovely young lady who is just trying to keep her social media profile up to date and you keep interrupting her. Maybe you should look in the mirror Mr. Stradial.

Sadly, there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Lately I seem to be running into a lot of people that I am having issues with.

Whenever I start having problems with everyone I come into contact with, I have to take a look at the common denominator, me.

I hate it when I have to do that.

Ever since 2010 I have used the dry cleaners in the Kroger shopping center on Ridge Road.

There has been a young girl working there for most, if not all, that time.

I have never seen this girl smile, not once.

I have never seen this girl show any kind of understanding of what customer service is.

I have seen her stand there, playing with her phone, while I waited for her to help me.

I guess if I were forced to say, she has the personality of a dead fish.

A couple of years ago I showed up one Saturday about 10 minutes before closing.

I was dropping off not picking up.

There was a lady, driving a Mercedes SUV, in the drive through when I pulled up.

I have no idea what the problem was with the lady in the SUV, but there was a lot of back and forth between the young girl and the lady in the SUV.

Finally, at 1 minute past closing, the lady drove off and I pulled up.

While I was giving the young girl my clothes, she was just a complaining about, "people who show up at closing time, expecting to get waited on" and about how she "had things to do and didn't have time to stay after closing time". (if memory serves, she had some church function to go to)

I told her that I was there 10 minutes before closing and that I was only there after closing because it took so long with the lady ahead of me.

That caused the young lady to start complaining about the lady ahead of me.

Finally I got tired of this and suggested that she quit complaining about the people who helped pay her for her work. (or something along those lines, it was a couple yrs ago)

The young girl basically said, screw you, and as the saying goes...then the fight started.

I ended up taking my clothes back and then on the following Monday, spoke with the manager about what happened.

The manager apologized and asked me to continue to use them, but I decided to take my business elsewhere for a while.

After six months or so, I started using the dry cleaners at the Kroger again.

I never saw the young girl and thought perhaps she had been let go,

Back then I was at the dry cleaners at least once a month, but from last September, I haven't used them but once or twice.

This past Thursday I dropped of two pieces of cushion covers to be cleaned.

The lady said they would be ready Friday evening.

So today I went to pick them up.

There was a young gal there and the young lady from my story above, you know, Miss Personality.

I gave then young lady my ticket and she advised that the two cushion covers were not back, but I did have a shirt to pick up.

Then Miss Personality said that I owed for two pieces that I had picked up but never paid for.

I said that I couldn't recall ever picking up any cleaning and not paying for it, ever.

I asked when that happened.

Miss Personality said it happened in February of 2014.

I replied, you mean that for the past year no one has bothered to mention I owed extra money?

Miss Personality replied, "I only know what's in the computer.", with her typical, I don't give a damn attitude.

I had already given my card to the other young girl and told her to "do what you have to do" concerning payment, before I had the above discussion with Miss Personality, so I did pay for the two pieces from a yr ago.

While the young girl was having me sign the receipt, I replied back to Miss Personality something about "I didn't give a (crap) what the computer said" and about the way she acted being wrong and her attitude sucking.

(I was mad at this point)

Miss Personality basically told me to go to hell and a few other things.

Needless to say, it went downhill from there.

My question is, why in the heck would you keep someone who cares nothing about the customers working in your place of business?

I cannot be the only person to have a problem with this girl, I'm just not that special.

Is she a family member?

Does do she do "extra work" for the owner?

Does the owner and manager just not care about their customers?

What is it?

Why keep someone with such a sorry attitude around.

Just for the record, my mother works in a dry cleaner (at 81 yrs old) and has for approx 30 years, so I have never thought I was above anyone working at a dry cleaner.

I went to a local hair salon around Thanksgiving. My hair was waist length. I wanted it shoulder length. Not only did I not get it cut shoulder length, she cut *maybe* an inch off it, but she bitched and complained about people showing up without an appointment (that would be me trusting the "walk ins welcome sign), bitching and complaining about how the boss left her there by herself around a holiday and bitched about other things I didn't pay any attention to. Obviously she paid no attention to what I said about how I wanted my hair cut because when I got home my husband said "I thought you were going to get your hair cut". I told him "I did. Apparently this is shoulder length". He laughed and said "I'm not hair cutter but that looks like the same length it was when you left and that was almost to your waist". I waited about a month and then went to another hair salon where I did get it cut to shoulder length.

I did a review of the salon on Facebook and gave them a 1 star rating and said why. Just a couple of weeks ago, someone I presumed to be the owner, responded to my review and asked who cut my hair. I told them I had no idea but I would not be back as there was no way they could make it right.

Poor customer service drives away customers and it doesn't matter if the representative of the company is an owner or an employee.

DUDE! I had no idea you were a Troll for Delta Airlines. Nice to meet you as I am a HUGE fan of Delta as my better half is employed by them. Great bunch of people!!!

Now, back to the subject at hand. Never ever go back to said Dry Cleaners. If they want to hire such crappy people to work for them, they may not have a businees after a bit. A great employee is an asset to any Employer.

You people need to talk to more people that pay min. wage or a few cents more. These people are not thankful for the job.

Most of them call in or are late a few times a week. They not only use personal drama as an excuse but bring it to work and expect people to put up with it. 50% of them steal from the company on a regular basis. They also don't think twice about insubordination to the point they often intimidate and scare some managers and employees. You have managers of corporately owned stores that steal, abuse employees verbally and come to work stoned or under the influence.

It has become hard to fire people, the documentation is ridiculous. They can't keep good people because they will not give them hours or decent pay.

We as customers are going to use these businesses, if not the one on corner A then corner B they are all the same with the same issues and we are all going to be victims of it.

The business model continues to deteriorate

Yeah they are firing these folks, that go some place else and do the same thing and they replace the fired employee with the same BS.

You get what you pay for, I am sure good managers want to give more pay and more hours to the good employees but corporate says it is not our business model to do so. The hourly soon learn that being a great employee doesn't really pay.

As for your question Stradial. she works her schedule, comes in on time, and doesn't steal, she is one of their best employees!

I can't speak for the minimum wage paid hourly employee. But from my experience of trying to find good employees, it has almost nothing to do with the wage you pay, it has more to do with people and their drama, prescription pill problems and laziness.

• Like 11

I can't speak for the minimum wage paid hourly employee. But from my experience of trying to find good employees, it has almost nothing to do with the wage you pay, it has more to do with people and their drama, prescription pill problems and laziness.

Amen. You just made my top 10 favorite posts.

DUDE! I had no idea you were a Troll for Delta Airlines. Nice to meet you as I am a HUGE fan of Delta as my better half is employed by them. Great bunch of people!!!

Now, back to the subject at hand. Never ever go back to said Dry Cleaners. If they want to hire such crappy people to work for them, they may not have a businees after a bit. A great employee is an asset to any Employer.

Apparently I am a troll/lackey/patsy for Delta and one of our local commissioners.

All I know for sure is, if someone don't start sending me some shekels soon, I'm quoting.

ETA

Quitting not quoting.

Apparently I am a troll/lackey/patsy for Delta and one of our local commissioners.

All I know for sure is, if someone don't start sending me some shekels soon, I'm quoting.

ETA

Quitting not quoting.

Call me impressed. I have only been accused of being a biotch. and yeah, I can be one at times. But a troll/lackey/patsy for Delta and one of our local commissioners... THAT is impressive.

In your evil doings, what interesting things have you learned about the bad, bad airport here in Paulding? You know the one... It is a bad, bad, bad airport.

Call me impressed. I have only been accused of being a biotch. and yeah, I can be one at times. But a troll/lackey/patsy for Delta and one of our local commissioners... THAT is impressive.

In your evil doings, what interesting things have you learned about the bad, bad airport here in Paulding? You know the one... It is a bad, bad, bad airport.

Well, since I haven't actually been involved with Delta or a commissioner as a troll/lackey/patsy, I can honestly say I haven't learned anything.

I did meet with Blake Swafford a few weeks ago and he answered some of my questions about the airport, just general questions, nothing exciting.

We really didn't get into the commercialization stuff.

I guess what I learned is, that we have an airport, it ain't doing so hot and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Why is that?

Many reasons, in my opinion.

All I know is that this troll/lackey/patsy job isn't living up to it's highfalutin title, either in pay or benefits.

I knew I should have taken that job as a flunky/stooge/sucker.

You people need to talk to more people that pay min. wage or a few cents more. These people are not thankful for the job.

Most of them call in or are late a few times a week. They not only use personal drama as an excuse but bring it to work and expect people to put up with it. 50% of them steal from the company on a regular basis. They also don't think twice about insubordination to the point they often intimidate and scare some managers and employees. You have managers of corporately owned stores that steal, abuse employees verbally and come to work stoned or under the influence.

It has become hard to fire people, the documentation is ridiculous. They can't keep good people because they will not give them hours or decent pay.

We as customers are going to use these businesses, if not the one on corner A then corner B they are all the same with the same issues and we are all going to be victims of it.

The business model continues to deteriorate

Yeah they are firing these folks, that go some place else and do the same thing and they replace the fired employee with the same BS.

You get what you pay for, I am sure good managers want to give more pay and more hours to the good employees but corporate says it is not our business model to do so. The hourly soon learn that being a great employee doesn't really pay.

As for your question Stradial. she works her schedule, comes in on time, and doesn't steal, she is one of their best employees!

Actually it's not difficult at all to fire someone. Georgia is after all an at will state. The employer can terminate an employee at any time. An employee can quit at any time.

I think a lot of it is from how they were raised as well.

• Like 2

Those type of people are drawn to minimum wage jobs. They know they will not get raises or move up.

The jobs are created for just such people.

I have moved way past expecting decent customer service from the mw industries.

I was just explaining to Stradial why the employee was valued and it is not for the way they treat customers.

All they have to do is jump through corporate hoops to keep their job.

Nobody in their right mind is going to bust their buts for mw so of course the lazy folks are applying.

The entire structure is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I am positive that the huge turnover is costing companies more than they think they are saving with their business model.

The idea of company and employee loyalty has vanished along with decent service. I think things were better when we had it.

• Like 1

"corporate hoops"? In a small, independently owned business?

:rofl:

Where I work we have had five people in the same position since September. The job pays more than minimum wage but it's the toughest job there. You have to have a thick skin to do because you're dealing with the public and a boss who hasn't had to be considerate to employees until recently. The person who left in September had been there for 13 years. The 20-something year old ex-Waffle House waitress lasted the longest so far since September--barely six weeks. I've talked to a co-worker who filled me in on some of the people they have had since the fall. Most talked a good talk but couldn't back up what they said they could do. The 20-something year old was never around to answer the phone, wouldn't do the filing and was rude to the clients. One thing my boss won't tolerate is rudeness toward the clients, who are the people we are there to serve.

Having tried to find employees for a job that paid well over minimum wage ($18-20 an hour) and having zero luck in getting someone who was willing to work instead of just show up and get a paycheck, it's not the pay. It's the person.

Anyone with half a brain should realize that if they do a good job, are willing to learn and to work, that minimum wage won't last long. Supervisors, managers and business owners all started somewhere and it wasn't at the top.

• Like 1

Those type of people are drawn to minimum wage jobs. They know they will not get raises or move up.

The jobs are created for just such people.

I have moved way past expecting decent customer service from the mw industries.

I was just explaining to Stradial why the employee was valued and it is not for the way they treat customers.

All they have to do is jump through corporate hoops to keep their job.

Nobody in their right mind is going to bust their buts for mw so of course the lazy folks are applying.

The entire structure is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I am positive that the huge turnover is costing companies more than they think they are saving with their business model.

The idea of company and employee loyalty has vanished along with decent service. I think things were better when we had it.

I am surprised at you. I never took you for the snooty judgemental type before. You know this is about the third post in as many weeks that stradial has had his feelings hurt by someone he felt that didn't treat him with the respect he thinks he deserves maybe so but I suspect there are always two sides to every story.

But for you (and others) to say anyone that does not rise to your social status is automatically deemed "Lazy" and beneath you well just has the smell of superiority, elitism and snobbery. I see a lot of that here on pcom it just surprises me to see it coming from you. Maybe I just misread the meaning of your comment.

• Like 1

Stradial I know who you are talking about. Not pleasant at all and I always come away feeling like I was bothering her by dropping off or picking up. I complain to my husband about her every time I go but he says that she's nice to him. I doubt it because I don't think she pays attention to anyone long enough to be nice to them. A very dismissive attitude. She did leave for a while, told the husband that she was moving somewhere, but now she's back.

I don't know anything about the ownership of the store referenced in the original post as it is on the complete opposite side of the county from me, but it was not difficult at all to ascertain from the context of her comments that she was referring to businesses owned by large corporations and not an independently owned small business.

What one has to do with the other is beyond me, but your ridicule is misplaced here.

Stradial I know who you are talking about. Not pleasant at all and I always come away feeling like I was bothering her by dropping off or picking up. I complain to my husband about her every time I go but he says that she's nice to him. I doubt it because I don't think she pays attention to anyone long enough to be nice to them. A very dismissive attitude. She did leave for a while, told the husband that she was moving somewhere, but now she's back.

Off to rehab probably......

ever thought she may be here illegally or in an indentured servant situation?

Trust me, she isn't here illegally, I am sure she is a home grown Paulding girl.

So you know who I am talking about, cute girl if she didn't have so much attitude of, "This would be good job if it wasn't for all these customers."

Trust me, she isn't here illegally, I am sure she is a home grown Paulding girl.

So you know who I am talking about, cute girl if she didn't have so much attitude of, "This would be good job if it wasn't for all these customers."

She's definitely not an illegal. And yes Stradial, I know exactly who you are talking about. Her attitude is so negative that I ask my husband to drop off and pick up now instead of having to deal with her myself.

Edited by SusieQ404

She's definitely not an illegal. And yes Stradial, I know exactly who you are talking about. Her attitude is so negative that I ask my husband to drop off and pick up now instead of having to deal with her myself.

I seriously don't think I have ever seen her smile or say please or thank you.

Not once.

Kinda sad in a way.

I am surprised at you. I never took you for the snooty judgemental type before. You know this is about the third post in as many weeks that stradial has had his feelings hurt by someone he felt that didn't treat him with the respect he thinks he deserves maybe so but I suspect there are always two sides to every story.

But for you (and others) to say anyone that does not rise to your social status is automatically deemed "Lazy" and beneath you well just has the smell of superiority, elitism and snobbery. I see a lot of that here on pcom it just surprises me to see it coming from you. Maybe I just misread the meaning of your comment.

So you're actually the "girl" stradial was talking about.

• Like 1

I was wondering, if it's so bad, use another dry cleaners. I don't have the time or patience to deal with dumb, rude people.

Like I said, I thought she was gone, I haven't had to deal with her for a long time.

As an H.R. Manager, your story continues to prove my point that we have inherited a generation of Crippled Adults. Are there exceptions, of course!....but trust me, I see it with the employee base every single day and I shake my head. It comes down to this from wee one on...:

They were not taught "Think of others first"

They were not taught "Common Courtesy"

They were not taught "Consequences for bad behavior"

They were not taught to "Take responsibility / own up to their actions"

They were not taught to "Think on Their Feet"

They were not taught to "Work for & Earn what they want"

They were bailed out of their mistakes.

They were not allowed to fail.

All of the above was done or not done by the parents -- walking it, not just talking it.

And so they released an adult into the world that is emotionally, financially and life-skill crippled. They just don't have it.

It's not the teachers' fault. It starts in the home, from little one on. You speak it/teach it and then you live it. You are their living witness.

How is it evidenced? In the behavior you saw from the girl in the dry cleaners. Is she super shy? Perhaps, but that's not an excuse for rude behavior. Could she have a medical/mental issue? Perhaps...again, no excuse. Manners transcend a disability and can still be taught.

I see it in the employee who continually arrives tardy. We issue a piece of paper. And another. And another .....until we're on the verge of terminating them and often do because they don't truly believe we'll do it. Why? Because mom/dad made idle threats to discipline/punish the child that they never followed thru on.

As an H.R. Manager within a great company, WE DON'T TOLERATE THE BEHAVIOR and make it abundantly clear. If they continue in it, they can go do it someplace else. And, yes, it's easy to fire. HOWEVER, if your company doesn't want their unemployment account dinged, you'd better have the documentation to back up the reason for the termination. Trust me, in 18 years of doing H.R., we've only lost a case twice....all because a supervisor/manager didn't have the documentation.

Edited by ChocoMare
  • Like 4

Where I work we have had five people in the same position since September. The job pays more than minimum wage but it's the toughest job there. You have to have a thick skin to do because you're dealing with the public and a boss who hasn't had to be considerate to employees until recently. The person who left in September had been there for 13 years. The 20-something year old ex-Waffle House waitress lasted the longest so far since September--barely six weeks. I've talked to a co-worker who filled me in on some of the people they have had since the fall. Most talked a good talk but couldn't back up what they said they could do. The 20-something year old was never around to answer the phone, wouldn't do the filing and was rude to the clients. One thing my boss won't tolerate is rudeness toward the clients, who are the people we are there to serve.

Having tried to find employees for a job that paid well over minimum wage ($18-20 an hour) and having zero luck in getting someone who was willing to work instead of just show up and get a paycheck, it's not the pay. It's the person.

Anyone with half a brain should realize that if they do a good job, are willing to learn and to work, that minimum wage won't last long. Supervisors, managers and business owners all started somewhere and it wasn't at the top.

I know a good person looking for a new job. Are they still hiring?

I know a good person looking for a new job. Are they still hiring?

No, after three years of trying, we gave up, closed the business and moved. We simply could not find someone with the necessary skills who was willing to do the job.

You know I am not a Lawyer but this thread is about as close to slandering someone as you can get. Giving a business a bad review is one thing but singling out out an individual on a public forum and accusing them of everything from being lazy to perhaps mental illness seems a bit risky. JMO

Could she have a medical/mental issue? Perhaps

She did leave for a while, told the husband that she was moving somewhere, but now she's back.

Off to rehab probably......

ever thought she may be here illegally

These people are not thankful for the job.

Most of them call in or are late a few times a week. 50% of them steal from the company on a regular basis.

I have never met this person but if I did I might tell her..."One Call That's All".

Edited by CitizenCain

You know I am not a Lawyer but this thread is about as close to slandering someone as you can get. Giving a business a bad review is one thing but singling out out an individual on a public forum and accusing them of everything from being lazy to perhaps mental illness seems a bit risky. JMO

You don't even know the difference between libel and slander. Typical of your "JMO"...based on a wrong premise.

• Like 1