Paulding.com

Are Anti Airport Commissioners withdrawing Support for Airshow?

The Support Silver Comet Field FB page is saying that that 3 of the 5 commissioners are withdrawing their support for the Air Show in May meaning that without the County's support they will not have County fire and rescue or security. Without these I am assuming the event will be canceled.

They also state this is scheduled to be discussed and voted on at the next BOC meeting

Proceeds from this event go to Paulding County charities.

https://www.facebook.com/SilverCometAirport

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes schools are necessary but do the boosters pay for the sheriff's and emt's at sporting events.   I live 2 miles as the crow flies from the airport and an disheartened with the lack of use it rece

First, those officers are off duty from the county and are paid by the churches, so apples and bananas.   Second, I have no feelings one way or the other about the airshow, but I do have a few thoug

Your title says Anti Airport Commissioners. They are not Anti Airport they are Anti-Commercial. They want to see a successful airport and think it can be without going commercial.

Posted Images

Yeah, I don't get the Commission part, either. Whatever. Rome's air show last year drew 70,000 people and most were from outside the county. This year's is gonna be even bigger...they're already announcing plans.

Yeah, I don't get the Commission part, either. Whatever. Rome's air show last year drew 70,000 people and most were from outside the county. This year's is gonna be even bigger...they're already announcing plans.

They also had the Thunderbirds there to perform.

I just checked the Rome even site and they will be headlining an F-22 demo this year--plus performance by The Charlie Daniels Band--and a BBQ cook-off.

• Like 1

Not true. There has been no vote to support or withdraw. I thought the Airport Authority controlled everything to do with the Airport why would the Commission have a vote?

Just because they think they can, wait until the next time.

What I am gathering is that the Airport Show was promised money, $100,000, from the County and also needs "the support" of the County in order to utilize the fire rescue and sheriff department at the event.

The Commission has no authority any longer. If the show goes on it should be handled and paid for by the Airport Authority. They are in total control of the land, money, and buildings. That is what they wanted wasn't it?

• Like 3

The Commission has no authority any longer. If the show goes on it should be handled and paid for by the Airport Authority. They are in total control of the land, money, and buildings. That is what they wanted wasn't it?

The county should get out of it altogether and let the airport go. If it had to support

itself it would go away as they don't know how to handle it and will never make

any money as long as they are fighting about commercial service. Drop that

and have a GA airport, and you might see some small planes using it.

I have friends that will park out of town just to avoid this mess and the fact

that it was forced on them as taxpayers.

STOP THE AUSTIN BROTHERS AIRPORT!

• Like 1

I agree that it should be paid for completely by the AA/sponsors. I do not have a problem with Fire and Rescue being there or the AA paying for the buses and deputies to be there. County money should be better spent on free events for families like the Fourth of July event.

• Like 1

I agree that it should be paid for completely by the AA/sponsors. I do not have a problem with Fire and Rescue being there or the AA paying for the buses and deputies to be there. County money should be better spent on free events for families like the Fourth of July event.

Fire, rescue, and public safety costs should also be covered by sponsors. The Commission no longer has a vote in what happens at the airport does it?

The Support Silver Comet Field FB page is saying that that 3 of the 5 commissioners are withdrawing their support for the Air Show in May meaning that without the County's support they will not have County fire and rescue or security. Without these I am assuming the event will be canceled.

They also state this is scheduled to be discussed and voted on at the next BOC meeting

Proceeds from this event go to Paulding County charities.

https://www.facebook.com/SilverCometAirport

Your title says Anti Airport Commissioners. They are not Anti Airport they are Anti-Commercial. They want to see a successful airport and think it can be without going commercial.

• Like 5

So now we want the private sponsors of a public event to pay for the fire and police protection? Ok. So do we also want the school board to pay for all police and fire needs regarding the schools? Do we want parades to pay for the same protection? Do we want things craft shows have to pay for the same? Asking the air show to pay for the cost of this is fine, but let's also do that for other groups, too.

• Like 1

So now we want the private sponsors of a public event to pay for the fire and police protection? Ok. So do we also want the school board to pay for all police and fire needs regarding the schools? Do we want parades to pay for the same protection? Do we want things craft shows have to pay for the same? Asking the air show to pay for the cost of this is fine, but let's also do that for other groups, too.

Seems to me there needs to be enough profit in there somewhere to pay for all of that. Other wise why have it? Schools are county funded and necessary. Not sure there is even enough expense involved in the other events to compare to the $100,000 quoted for the airshow. I ask again how did it now become the County's responsibility to pay for anything that was turned over to the Airport Authority so the County Commissioners would not have a say?

• Like 2

Seems to me there needs to be enough profit in there somewhere to pay for all of that. Other wise why have it? Schools are county funded and necessary. Not sure there is even enough expense involved in the other events to compare to the $100,000 quoted for the airshow. I ask again how did it now become the County's responsibility to pay for anything that was turned over to the Airport Authority so the County Commissioners would not have a say?

Yes schools are necessary but do the boosters pay for the sheriff's and emt's at sporting events.

I live 2 miles as the crow flies from the airport and an disheartened with the lack of use it receives. I was against the airport and finally I put some thought into it. The potential for greatness there exists. People I would rather see paulding county reap the benefits then to see another one get it. We are a second rate county and until real job creation comes we are going to decline more. I don't like the idea of big business and commercialization coming, but I dread living in the next meth capitol. We as a county need to do something or we will lose so much. Social circle is getting a 2 billion dollar pharmacy and paulding county can't even decide if we get an air show. WTF people. Progress is happening and we have an opportunity to benefit.

• Like 6

Yes schools are necessary but do the boosters pay for the sheriff's and emt's at sporting events.

I live 2 miles as the crow flies from the airport and an disheartened with the lack of use it receives. I was against the airport and finally I put some thought into it. The potential for greatness there exists. People I would rather see paulding county reap the benefits then to see another one get it. We are a second rate county and until real job creation comes we are going to decline more. I don't like the idea of big business and commercialization coming, but I dread living in the next meth capitol. We as a county need to do something or we will lose so much. Social circle is getting a 2 billion dollar pharmacy and paulding county can't even decide if we get an air show. WTF people. Progress is happening and we have an opportunity to benefit.

Yes many schools do have to pay for emergency personnel to be present at games and imagine they pay for off duty deputies as well.

I agree it should get some use. How that happens and whether or not it actually benefits the citizens in Paulding seems to be where the disagreement lies. I would rather give $100,000 dollars to charity straight out than to lose it with no profit gained for that charity. I want to know how much the other two airshows cleared in profit. I also want to know what charity this is supposed to benefit.

I believe the first one lost money or broke even, the 2nd one- $10K in profit sticks out in my mind and on the support page when someone asked about the charities benefitting no answer was given.

$100,000 vs $10,000. No contest. I am for giving to charity. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. I am not for losing the taxpayers money. Guess it is the hands of the Commissioners. Please know that the truth was twisted to make it look as though three of them had withdrawn support. That was simply not true. It does look as though some who wanted the new Commissioner's voices silenced when they turned everything over to the Airport Authority now want to have their cake and eat it too. I am disgusted with the underhanded deals. I will never be a part of that for either side on this issue.

• Like 1

I agree NewsJunky. I dont want to see 100K of taxpayer money going to this event. As it looks right now, it appears the pro commercial group is playing dirty right now.

Twisting the truth and dividing this county more is reprehensible! Maybe the county should just donate to a charity and call it a day. This smacks of dishonesty and I do not think the three Commissioners accused of withdrawing support are to blame. The underhanded way the old commission voted to take the voters voice away by giving everything to the Airport Authority caused me to back up and take a much closer look at what some I had trusted before were really doing. I make up my own mind and this looks like ugly propaganda.

• Like 1

I spoke to Todd about it Friday and he called it political slander. At this point I am inclined to believe it is the case. If the County is willing to throw $100K for this I hope the have the $$$ to put on the 4th of July Fireworks at Taylor Farms. We have enjoyed the event on several occasions....

Tuesday's BOC meeting promises to be an interesting one since the issue is front and center on the agenda. I am sure the Pat and Patti Show will be discussing. Heck, they may even make it the meeting Tuesday, lol.

I spoke to Todd about it Friday and he called it political slander. At this point I am inclined to believe it is the case. If the County is willing to throw $100K for this I hope the have the $$$ to put on the 4th of July Fireworks at Taylor Farms. We have enjoyed the event on several occasions....

Tuesday's BOC meeting promises to be an interesting one since the issue is front and center on the agenda. I am sure the Pat and Patti Show will be discussing. Heck, they may even make it the meeting Tuesday, lol.

It was placed on the Agenda for discussion at the 11th hour by way of Committee Reports. It was never on there for a vote and still isn't. Yes, it should be interesting. Wonder what kind of motions will be made and by whom. Keep in mind some politicians think we, the voters, are stupid. It seems some of their tools for propaganda do too. :ninja:

I believe the first one lost money or broke even, the 2nd one- $10K in profit sticks out in my mind and on the support page when someone asked about the charities benefitting no answer was given.

I don't think there was any actual "Net Profit", as I recall, the buses and bus drivers $$$ was not re-imbursed by the county, or the Sheriff's Department.

I totally agree with NJ, the sneaky bastards wanted the airport totally out of the control of the Commission, and used their Lame Duck Commission votes to slide that by, while still commanding a substantial annual stipend from the County.....yet they want the county to pay to cover costs for an airshow that benefits just whom ?

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, my guess is its a duck.

I don't think there was any actual "Net Profit", as I recall, the buses and bus drivers $$$ was not re-imbursed by the county, or the Sheriff's Department.

I totally agree with NJ, the sneaky bastards wanted the airport totally out of the control of the Commission, and used their Lame Duck Commission votes to slide that by, while still commanding a substantial annual stipend from the County.....yet they want the county to pay to cover costs for an airshow that benefits just whom ?

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, my guess is its a duck.

Well that should make people mad as hell, if true, the school system doesnt need to be diverting education money to a f#@$#### air show!!! Where are the pitchforks? lol

Paulding Meadows is completely is out of the control of the County Commission. Should the County stop providing emergency services, i.e., fire, ambulance, Sheriff's Department for Paulding Meadows?

You know, I truly feel it is fine for our County to provide these type services for community, entertainment type of events. As far as I knows, all of Paulding's surrounding counties provide these type services at entertainment type events in their community.

I think it is great that we have something such as the Salute America Airshow, Paulding Meadows, the Fourth of July Fireworks, Relay for Life, Movies in the Park, etc. for our community members to enjoy. I am of the personal opinion that when you start trying to discourage these events, it eventually starts breaking the spirit of the community. I truly believe these type of events are very important in our community and provides entertainment for those who might not be able to enjoy it otherwise. It allows residents to meet each other, provides a sense of comradery, etc.

Edited by Beach Bum
  • Like 1

If a crowd congregates at any public space there is a presumption that emergency services should be present.

Why?

What is the purpose of the emergency services? It is to protect people first and property second.

If you have ten or twenty thousand people in a single location, the idea that LEO should not be present seems a bit absurd.

Now, those putting on an event may think that they need more help in maintaining order than the Sheriff, for instance and this is usually the case. It is also customary to inform, say LEO or ambulance/medical services, that you're going to have an event and if the projected size of the event will strain the available resources, that is when the emergency services management may need to bring in extra staff.

Taking Paulding Meadows for an example. The sponsors avoid the necessity for probably ten or fifteen officers to direct traffic as they use volunteers to manage parking. In the case of the air show, directing traffic and parking is more daunting in large part because the airport doesn't have the parking that such an event may require. In prior years parking at nearby schools and even the courthouse complex, along with necessary mass transit to the airport is what allows the project to work.

These are extraordinary aspects and the success (or failure) of the event is dependent on the competent execution of these functions.

Those aspects do represent an extra cost to the county and schools (who provide transport via bus) and those costs are both above the norm. More importantly, without those additional resources being made available, the size and success of the event simply doesn't compute. Said differently, if all parking and transportation was at the airport, about the most number of people that could attend an airshow would number in the hundreds not thousands.

pubby

Paulding Meadows is completely is out of the control of the County Commission. Should the County stop providing emergency services, i.e., fire, ambulance, Sheriff's Department for Paulding Meadows?

You know, I truly feel it is fine for our County to provide these type services for community, entertainment type of events. As far as I knows, all of Paulding's surrounding counties provide these type services at entertainment type events in their community.

I think it is great that we have something such as the Salute America Airshow, Paulding Meadows, the Fourth of July Fireworks, Relay for Life, Movies in the Park, etc. for our community members to enjoy. I am of the personal opinion that when you start trying to discourage these events, it eventually starts breaking the spirit of the community. I truly believe these type of events are very important in our community and provides entertainment for those who might not be able to enjoy it otherwise. It allows residents to meet each other, provides a sense of comradery, etc.

I don't think that is in question. The cost certainly is. I bet there is a huge difference in it for Paulding meadows and an air show. Especially since the Commission has been removed from any vote on anything to do with the airport. The loss of money in the past is also a consideration. It is in the lap of the Commissioners we shall see what they think.

• Like 1

I think this is one of those things that the commission is charged to do, i.e. support programs that promote the county.

The air show will bring many people who are aviation oriented, including pilots and small aircraft owners, on to the site to see the facilities. This would hopefully end up in some moving their planes to the airport and helping it as a GA airport.

I don't see it helping the commercial cause at all.

Outside of the airport, it brings people in who will spend money in the county eating out on the way there and back, gasoline, and other businesses.

I'm not an arts and crafts lover, but have no problem with Paulding Meadows being supported by the county as county vendors sell there and it promotes the county as a destination and brings in out of county money as well.

The commissioners will need to do with this what they do with any support request, decide if the benefits of the program to the county at large outweigh the costs.

Making decisions like this is what we vote them in to do.

• Like 1

I think this is one of those things that the commission is charged to do, i.e. support programs that promote the county.

The air show will bring many people who are aviation oriented, including pilots and small aircraft owners, on to the site to see the facilities. This would hopefully end up in some moving their planes to the airport and helping it as a GA airport.

Outside of the airport, it brings people in who will spend money in the county eating out on the way there and back, gasoline, and other businesses.

I'm not an arts and crafts lover, but have no problem with Paulding Meadows being supported by the county as county vendors sell there and it promotes the county as a destination and brings in out of county money as well.

The commissioners will need to do with this what they do with any support request, decide if the benefits of the program to the county at large outweigh the costs.

I think our commission should keep in mind the cost and choose what benefits the county most. We could spend a fortune on these things if we are not careful. Tax payers get the Bill.

I think our commission should keep in mind the cost and choose what benefits the county most. We could spend a fortune on these things if we are not careful. Tax payers get the Bill.

Oh, agree completely. I just don't think it should be rejected out of hand because of the commercial air application when it may be out best chance to get some pilots to base their planes there and get some income to offload the cost from the county.

Remember the airshow show is when they admitted they had signed a contract with Brett Smith

BEHIND EVERYONES BACK!

STOP THE AUSTIN BROTHERS AIRPORT!

who cares,let something positive happen in this county for a change,thanks

The only thing positive that needs to happen is stop the airport and remove two more

boc members.

STOP THE AUSTIN BROTHERS AIRPORT.

post-45888-0-56369400-1425991524_thumb.jpg

As a taxpayer, I care about how our money is spent.

8)

As a taxpayer, I also care about how our money is spent as well. However, I also believe that our elected officals, who were btw, elected to their office, should be given some respect and not be micro managed by the public.

A classic example of this is the requirement to see the business plan of a private company.

• Like 1

As a taxpayer, I also care about how our money is spent as well. However, I also believe that our elected officals, who were btw, elected to their office, should be given some respect and not be micro managed by the public.

A classic example of this is the requirement to see the business plan of a private company.

A business plan of a private company asking for $40,000,000 of our money to execute their plan. Add to that all of the snarky sneaking around delibertly hiding what they are doing from the public.

• Like 1