Paulding.com

Huge fire on Braswell Mountain in Polk County

Rockmart and Polk County firefighters, along with Georgia Forestry Commission personnel are at the scene of a fire on Braswell Mountain.

According to Polk County EMA Director and Fire Cheif Randy Lacey, they have dug breaks to contain the fire from spreading and there are no structures in danger.

The fire could be seen from Highway 278.

We'll have more information as it becomes available.

Source

We saw it coming home. Braswell rd was fine the ridge was way west of Braswell you could not see it from there just smell smoke. I came on here to look for info. The whole mountain was glowing red, with this wind it is going to be very bad.

• Like 1

From what I have read this is Signal Mountain (which is probably at the Polk line), not Braswell Mountain. However, it is right next to Braswell Mountain. I was just informed that the fire is still only 30% contained, so it is still burning.

Edited by MsGaStorm

any update?

I can't find anything. Hopefully when my kids that live in Rockmart get up and around they can give me an update.

I go back and forth over Braswell to go see them. It is a beautiful drive. The wind was out of the north last night so I am not sure how far it may have pushed it. I am also worried about people that have homes out that way. It is devastating to lose a home from fire. I would think if it got bigger or much worse we would see the haze from it this morning and more news.

Has it been put out yet? I just woke up. The last I heard at 2:15am it was still only 30% contained.

I doubt it was planned because it was known that we would have winds, so no permission would have been granted. A burn off this size would need permission in order to be started. If someone set it without the proper go ahead then they will probably be fined.

• Like 1

That is so sad. Aren't there houses on the mountain? Rednekhickchick lives up that way doesn't she.

lol yes she does. Actual fire was a couple miles from me, was just this side of the really dangerous one lane train trestle bridge headed toward Hwy 113. Wind made it pretty worrisome, though. Glad nobody suffered any property losses.

Has it been put out yet? I just woke up. The last I heard at 2:15am it was still only 30% contained.

I drove out there this morning and it was still smoldering - possibly picking up a little, as the smoke was a little thicker when I left than when I got there. There are a couple houses close enough that I'm sure they will let someone know if it starts up again.

lol yes she does. Actual fire was a couple miles from me, was just this side of the really dangerous one lane train trestle bridge headed toward Hwy 113. Wind made it pretty worrisome, though. Glad nobody suffered any property losses.

I drove out there this morning and it was still smoldering - possibly picking up a little, as the smoke was a little thicker when I left than when I got there. There are a couple houses close enough that I'm sure they will let someone know if it starts up again.

glad to hear you are ok ... hopefully so is everyone else in the area is too.

We went out there this afternoon, the smoke was terrible and they had warning signs on 278 for the smoke.

We turned on Coots Lake then left on Braswell Road and went around the road and came back out on 278. All we saw was heavy smoke. Then I turned onto this small road and there was equipment there and he was working on the fire break.

MISCFEBRUARY2015013_zpsa9acc96d.jpg

MISCFEBRUARY2015015_zpsf1f1e42a.jpg

MISCFEBRUARY2015017_zpsc3b41dbe.jpg

MISCFEBRUARY2015020_zpsf1c9ca54.jpg

• Like 1