Paulding.com

Bergdahl to be charged with desertion

No it's not.

The White House is currently attempting to squash the story.

;)

They have been pretty successful at that up until now. The deal to trade some really bad guys for him went all the way to the top. It is not pretty to know the deal was for a Traitor/deserter.

Does the military still halve the firing squad? We could send isis a video of that, right before a minuteman is launched. Hell send them the video of the launch also.

The military still has the death penalty. The military uses hanging, with the exception of Eddie Slovik who was executed by firing squad for desertion during WWII in Europe. The last military execution was in 1961. The guy was convicted for rape and attempting to murder an 11-year old girl in Austria.

Apparently Obama got to them. The Pentagon is changing their mind.

Pentagon insists no decision reached on Bergdahl case, despite desertion charge claim

"The Pentagon insisted Wednesday that no decision has been made in the case of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, even as a former military intelligence officer stood by his claim that the Army is charging him with desertion."

What I read. ""Those charges carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison upon conviction, but sources tell NBC News the Army is considering crediting Bergdahl for the 5 years he spent in captivity and be given the opportunity to avoid prosecution by leaving the Army with a "less than honorable discharge."

"If accepted, Bergdahl could be denied as much as $300,000 in back pay and benefits and be reduced in rank from Sergeant to Private First Class or lower," according to NBC's report."

What I read. ""Those charges carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison upon conviction, but sources tell NBC News the Army is considering crediting Bergdahl for the 5 years he spent in captivity and be given the opportunity to avoid prosecution by leaving the Army with a "less than honorable discharge."

"If accepted, Bergdahl could be denied as much as $300,000 in back pay and benefits and be reduced in rank from Sergeant to Private First Class or lower," according to NBC's report."

If they want to give him a less than honorable discharge, they will conduct only a Chapter 13 hearing, which determines unsuitability for military service. It cannot sentence him to 5 years of incarceration and then give him credit for time served because he was a POW. Only a courts-martial can sentenced someone to incarceration and give credit for time served. I would also have to question the authority of a courts-martial to consider time as a POW time served in a correctional facility.

What it sounds like to me is they are threatening him with a courts-martial and offering him the opportunity to accept a less than honorable discharge instead under Chapter 13 of the UCMJ to discharge him. I think they should give him a courts-martial and the reason I say that is because he deserted and sought out the Taliban. He was not captured by the Taliban as he chose to be with them, thus he was not a POW, he was a traitor.

It's clear Obama doesn't want this guy to be court-martialed because it would be an embarrassment to him after having appeared before the country with Bergdahl's parents at his side claiming how good this kid was, when in fact he was a deserter and traitor to his he served with and his country.

If they want to give him a less than honorable discharge, they will conduct only a Chapter 13 hearing, which determines unsuitability for military service. It cannot sentence him to 5 years of incarceration and then give him credit for time served because he was a POW. Only a courts-martial can sentenced someone to incarceration and give credit for time served. I would also have to question the authority of a courts-martial to consider time as a POW time served in a correctional facility.

What it sounds like to me is they are threatening him with a courts-martial and offering him the opportunity to accept a less than honorable discharge instead under Chapter 13 of the UCMJ to discharge him. I think they should give him a courts-martial and the reason I say that is because he deserted and sought out the Taliban. He was not captured by the Taliban as he chose to be with them, thus he was not a POW, he was a traitor.

It's clear Obama doesn't want this guy to be court-martialed because it would be an embarrassment to him after having appeared before the country with Bergdahl's parents at his side claiming how good this kid was, when in fact he was a deserter and traitor to his he served with and his country.

This country is not the problem. It's the money. If he had been working for Halliburton, he would have had more incentive to stay employed.

The people he was fighting for didn't pay enough.

The new new Congressional Millionaire's Club, will pay the same amount. And when the new soldiers get home, a lot of them will be homeless.

Edited by The Postman

I was a Legal YN in the Navy just so you know. Even if he is a Traitor we learn we never leave no man behind. I don't agree with 5 of theirs for one of ours though! Obama is the Commander in Chief so he is the boss.

I was a Legal YN in the Navy just so you know. Even if he is a Traitor we learn we never leave no man behind. I don't agree with 5 of theirs for one of ours though! Obama is the Commander in Chief so he is the boss.

I don't agree with leaving no man behind if he was captured by the enemy or fallen on the battlefield: but when he deserts for the purpose of joining the enemy that's an entirely different matter all together. The scumbag is a deserter and a traitor who should be charged and appear before a courts-martial. His time with the enemy should have no consideration for "time served" if convicted.

• Like 2

I think the main thing about this deserter is that he didn't just run away, he ran to the other side.

Also, by the act of running away he helped get some of his fellow soldiers killed.

During the Civil War President Lincoln pardoned many deserters, but at the same time many more were either executed or, later in the war, branded with a "D" on the hip, then sent back to fight.

In my opinion, this man not only deserted, but by that act helped get his fellow comrades killed.

He deserves to be punished for that, punished by the American Army.

Whatever he endured while he was with the enemy, well, he chose that and it should have no bearing on the punishment he receives by the Army that he deserted.

This case reminds me of the case of the young man, who upon being found guilty of killing his parents, when asked if he had anything to say before punishment, pleaded, "I hope Your Honor will take pity on a poor orphan boy."

• Like 2

I don't agree with leaving no man behind if he was captured by the enemy or fallen on the battlefield: but when he deserts for the purpose of joining the enemy that's an entirely different matter all together. The scumbag is a deserter and a traitor who should be charged and appear before a courts-martial. His time with the enemy should have no consideration for "time served" if convicted.

We don't know that is what happened. My gut feeling tells me he wasn't right in the head PTSD and I bet after being a POW for so long he really has it now. I try to look for the good in people and not assume the worst. I wouldn't assume he was a deserter and leave him over there to die, we bring him back and find out the truth. I just don't agree with the way they did it.

I think the main thing about this deserter is that he didn't just run away, he ran to the other side.

Also, by the act of running away he helped get some of his fellow soldiers killed.

During the Civil War President Lincoln pardoned many deserters, but at the same time many more were either executed or, later in the war, branded with a "D" on the hip, then sent back to fight.

In my opinion, this man not only deserted, but by that act helped get his fellow comrades killed.

He deserves to be punished for that, punished by the American Army.

Whatever he endured while he was with the enemy, well, he chose that and it should have no bearing on the punishment he receives by the Army that he deserted.

This case reminds me of the case of the young man, who upon being found guilty of killing his parents, when asked if he had anything to say before punishment, pleaded, "I hope Your Honor will take pity on a poor orphan boy."

From what I understand no one died looking for him. Tell it to CHUCK.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chuck-hagel-unaware-of-soldiers-killed-in-search-for-bowe-bergdahl-1401886798

Edited by DallasRED

We don't know that is what happened. My gut feeling tells me he wasn't right in the head PTSD and I bet after being a POW for so long he really has it now. I try to look for the good in people and not assume the worst. I wouldn't assume he was a deserter and leave him over there to die, we bring him back and find out the truth. I just don't agree with the way they did it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chuck-hagel-unaware-of-soldiers-killed-in-search-for-bowe-bergdahl-1401886798

I was under the impression from what I have read and heard that four men did die as the result of his desertion.

If that is incorrect, it would make some difference in what sentence I personally would give him, but he still needs to be accountable to our military and their punishment.

There is certainly enough evidence there to charge him with desertion and treason. He left a note saying he left and why he left. While they were out looking for him, villagers stated he had been there and was asking how to get to the Taliban. He should be charged and there should be a courts-martial to make the final determination.

• Like 1

There is certainly enough evidence there to charge him with desertion and treason. He left a note saying he left and why he left. While they were out looking for him, villagers stated he had been there and was asking how to get to the Taliban. He should be charged and there should be a courts-martial to make the final determination.

That still doesn't mean he was RIGHT in the head. PTSD can make you do some CRAZY things. I don't see anyone in their right mind just leaving like that. He is lucky to even be alive. He went on a Suicide mission and wanted to die IMO.

That still doesn't mean he was RIGHT in the head. PTSD can make you do some CRAZY things. I don't see anyone in their right mind just leaving like that. He is lucky to even be alive. He went on a Suicide mission and wanted to die IMO.

Are you really sure you know what PTSD is and what the effects of PTSD are?

His writings and actions indicate that this was a deliberate planned act.

That doesn't mean he was in the RIGHT mind. I will wait and see what the verdict is, because all we are doing is speculating.

His writings and actions indicate that this was a deliberate planned act.

Exactly. Look at the emails he had sent his father how he was sympathizing with the Taliban. The note he left behind was also very telling. Before he deployed one member of his squad stated Bergdahl said if the deployment was lame, he was going to walk off and go to Pakistan. Bergdahl and his unit arrived in Afghanistan in May 2009. He deserted the following month.

Last e-mail to parents

On June 27, 2009, according to Hastings, Bergdahl sent an e-mail to his parents before he was captured[1]:4 Hastings reported the content of the email, quoting much of it verbatim:

mom, dad

The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting. [...] [Three good sergeants had been forced to move to another company] [...] and one of the biggest cheeze bags is being put in charge of the team. [...] [My battalion commander was] a conceited old fool. [...] In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing cheeze bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. ... The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good SGTs are getting out as soon as they can, and they are telling us privates to do the same. [...] I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live... We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them [...] I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting. There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.
:4

Bob Bergdahl responded to his son's final message not long after he received it.

OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE!

Dear Bowe, In matters of life and death, and especially at war, it is never safe to ignore ones' conscience. Ethics demands obedience to our conscience. It is best to also have a systematic oral defense of what our conscience demands. Stand with like minded men when possible. dad.
:4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl

Edited by yathink?

From your link.

"According to a senior U.S. official, Bergdahl told military officials that he had been tortured, beaten, and held in a cage by his Taliban captors in Afghanistan after he tried to escape.[61] He told medical officials that he was locked in a metal cage in total darkness for weeks at a time as punishment for trying to escape.[62]"

From your link.

"According to a senior U.S. official, Bergdahl told military officials that he had been tortured, beaten, and held in a cage by his Taliban captors in Afghanistan after he tried to escape.[61] He told medical officials that he was locked in a metal cage in total darkness for weeks at a time as punishment for trying to escape.[62]"

The question is whether he was suffering from mental illness when he made the choice to abandon his post.

;)

From your link.

I don't know this guy or what was in his heart or head, but he chose that when he went running to them.

I'm sorry they didn't think he was a hero for defecting to them.

Look, in every war there are good men who just can't go on any longer, but they do not run over to the other side.

He did, now he has to be accountable for it.

Just like when in a relationship that is going really really bad, someone snaps and attacks the other person.

They have to be accountable for it and take what's coming to them and move on, hopefully a better person for it.

I don't know if he is a deserter or not but his own men said he had a habit of wandering off base.

Once while I was overseas we were in a situation where we had to live off " C " Rations for a month. ( Canned food packed during the revolutionary war )

Our Sergeant who was born in California but of Korean descent would sneak off to a little village about a 1/4 mi away and buy noodles and such and bring them back to us. Had he been captured by the vietcong I suppose you could say he had deserted his post. We were just grateful for the change of pace from stinking "C" rations.

Edited by CitizenCain

From your link.

What does what Bergdahl says how he was treated in captivity have to do with him deserting after being in Afghanistan a month? You don't even know if he's telling the truth.

article-0-1F867ADA00000578-136_634x515.j

bergdahl.jpg

de0ecef6b49966c6f8fbd089f8779882.jpg?ito

The question is whether he was suffering from mental illness when he made the choice to abandon his post.

;)

I think he was...Or lets just say I hope he was.

I don't know if he is a deserter or not but his own men said he had a habit of wandering off base.

See that is what I don't get. I think he was crazy. If you don't want to be in the military now a days no one is forcing you to stay in. At least it is that way in the AF. On CNN right now one of those 5 let go has returned to TERROR!!!!

I don't know this guy or what was in his heart or head, but he chose that when he went running to them.

I'm sorry they didn't think he was a hero for defecting to them.

Look, in every war there are good men who just can't go on any longer, but they do not run over to the other side.

He did, now he has to be accountable for it.

Just like when in a relationship that is going really really bad, someone snaps and attacks the other person.

They have to be accountable for it and take what's coming to them and move on, hopefully a better person for it.

You are absolutely correct. This isn't a case where this was his second or third deployment and he had seen a lot of death and destruction and had so many close calls on his own that made him a nutcase. He was in country one month before he went over the wall to join the Taliban.