Paulding.com

Out sourcing custodial jobs in Paulding County

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or maybe, a member of the BOE has a relative who owns a cleaning company.

You owe something to those who have worked hard and long doing a good job. And as most of these people are probably local, it also helps the county as they spend their paychecks locally.   Call me

Let me see if I got this right, we have the BoC and half the county fighting, calling each other names and not speaking to each other over an airport that we built at the cost of millions of tax payer

If it ain't broke, DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!! Our great and illustrious Goobernor needs ALL of his benefits taken away and see how he likes it!!! If they do outsource and all of the people who would lose their jobs, the probably couldn't qualify for the Obummercare Insurance because the minimum income is about $11,500 or abouts, that amount. If you have an income, that is lesser of that amount, YOU DON'T QUALIFY, how crazy is that???? People who don't have an income at all or less than $11,500 or abouts, that amount NEED Insurance too. This is plain crazy!!

• Like 1

You know I have been seeing lots of jobs outsourced. My roadways used to be picked up by state prisoners, probationers, and community service workers. Now I guess it is cheaper to pay suspected illegals to do it.

We had noticed this a few years ago.

Some of the laws that apply to taxes and insurance, including ACA, can make it cheaper to use an outside service than regular employees. While I don't necessarily approve of such policy; we can probably expect to see more of it.

• Like 3

Douglas and Cherokee Counties have already gone to contracted custodial services. My concern is more that the contract won't/can't be written broad enough to cover all of things that the folks that keep our classrooms clean and our kids as healthy as possible really do each day. The military did this about 20 years ago and now they are undoing it - they are ending the contracts and going back to our military personnel taking care of each other. I don't think this will work out for the best of our children and school employees. But, Cranemac is right - with ACA, workman's comp, unemployment insurance, and all the other federal and state mandates, we may end up with an inferior service that is minimally less expensive but reduces the legal liability of the school system.

• Like 1

Douglas and Cherokee Counties have already gone to contracted custodial services. My concern is more that the contract won't/can't be written broad enough to cover all of things that the folks that keep our classrooms clean and our kids as healthy as possible really do each day. The military did this about 20 years ago and now they are undoing it - they are ending the contracts and going back to our military personnel taking care of each other. I don't think this will work out for the best of our children and school employees. But, Cranemac is right - with ACA, workman's comp, unemployment insurance, and all the other federal and state mandates, we may end up with an inferior service that is minimally less expensive but reduces the legal liability of the school system.

I don't recall any contract companies cleaning barracks and buildings at Ft. Gordon. The soldiers did it.

Or maybe, a member of the BOE has a relative who owns a cleaning company.

:GASP: You shut your mouth!!! You KNOW nothing like this would ever happen with the fine, upstanding, no-appearance-of-evil leadership of this county! Take it back!

• Like 6

in the Cobb school, where I taught, custodians did light work during the day, the floor/bathroom cleaning crew came in the evenings, about 4:00; no English, staring at women, laughing while looking at us, etc. very uncomfortable situation, but nothing we could do about it.

in the Cobb school, where I taught, custodians did light work during the day, the floor/bathroom cleaning crew came in the evenings, about 4:00; no English, staring at women, laughing while looking at us, etc. very uncomfortable situation, but nothing we could do about it.

That is what I fear. And those people do not care about our kids & teachers. They just don't. Our now custodian's are mostly Paulding citizens who have kids & grandkids in these schools.

• Like 1

That is what I fear. And those people do not care about our kids & teachers. They just don't. Our now custodian's are mostly Paulding citizens who have kids & grandkids in these schools.

I see your concerns, and I do know some folks that work for the BOE strictly to provide health insurance for their family. But in reality I would assume other than being a day porter (custodian) to stock up the restrooms and clean as needed, the vast majority of housekeeping (vacuum, mopping, dusting, empty trash cans, etc.) comes from a contracted company, not county employees. Think about it, doubtful any county employee is cleaning the schools, courthouse, admin bldg, or any other county building.It's contracted out to avoid having to pay benefits. Sad, but the truth

Edited by rockster

Carroll County started out-sourcing the custodian jobs and they are getting poor results. I have heard stories about how indignant the custodians are to teachers when they make requests about the work needed in the rooms. One said something that couldn't be understood and walked out of the room.

Many of the custodians do good work even though they are under-paid.

Look people, those criminals from south of the border need jobs also.

How dare you try and keep them from taking jobs from law abiding American citizens.

Don't you received understand that you law abiding people who were born here are now the 2nd class citizens?

• Like 5

What kind of people are being used around our teachers and children? Are they legal? Have they been arrested/sent to prison? Are they child molesters? Are they drug addicts?

Who knows? Seriously.

It just keeps getting worse and worse. And you DO get what you pay for.

• Like 3

I teach in a metro area county that has done this and the results have been terrible; the custodians are terrible and the schools aren't nearly as clean. You get what you pay for.

Boils down to managing. If you have a problem with the current crew contract and terrible conditions, the person that has ownership of the responsibility of the said contract should be contacted

I don't recall any contract companies cleaning barracks and buildings at Ft. Gordon. The soldiers did it.

I can see at training (esp basic training) there were still soldiers cleaning - but all the regular cleaning at say the Pentagon, Aberdeen Test Center, etc. were done by contractors as well as the cooks in the dining halls, employees at the commissary and PX, etc. But, they are starting to convert back now. When you can't directly control the services, you are depending upon someone else to do the right thing. And, you can't depend upon anyone other than yourself to know the right thing will be done.

I also worry about this constant elimination of entry level and lower skilled jobs. In the name of efficiency and cost savings, we have eliminated so many jobs that young people and lower skilled workers had that they could develop and move up from. Now, you need to have so many skills to get the most basic of jobs and it's just easier to stay on welfare than it is to try to jump through all the hoops.

• Like 1

I can see at training (esp basic training) there were still soldiers cleaning - but all the regular cleaning at say the Pentagon, Aberdeen Test Center, etc. were done by contractors as well as the cooks in the dining halls, employees at the commissary and PX, etc. But, they are starting to convert back now. When you can't directly control the services, you are depending upon someone else to do the right thing. And, you can't depend upon anyone other than yourself to know the right thing will be done.

I also worry about this constant elimination of entry level and lower skilled jobs. In the name of efficiency and cost savings, we have eliminated so many jobs that young people and lower skilled workers had that they could develop and move up from. Now, you need to have so many skills to get the most basic of jobs and it's just easier to stay on welfare than it is to try to jump through all the hoops.

PX and commissary employees have always been civilians. Downsizing of the Army under the Clinton administration resulted in a reduction of force where the Army had to choose what positions to give up. A lot of those positions were in food services resulting in the need to hire civilians to replace them. There are almost as many civilians working at the Pentagon as there are military personnel. You can't make the civilian personnel do janitorial duties on top of their job. That and because the building is so big they hire janitorial companies; except those companies can't clean in restricted areas that require security clearances so the military personnel do the cleaning.

School districts across the country have turned to companies like ABM, Southern Management, and GSC to clean their schools to save money as the economy has reduced collected tax revenues. By going to these companies the school district saves money by not having to pay for health care, retirement contributions, matching social security deductions, paying workers comp and unemployment insurance, etc. Most of these national cleaning companies like those I named earlier, start their employees out at about $8/hr. Most likely with the employer mandate looming most of the employees they hire will be part-time.

Just to remind everyone, the school district has a responsibility to be fiscally responsible. The priority is also supposed to be to provide the best education for children as possible; not to employ as many people as they can.

• Like 2

One of my best customers is a medium sized Hospital in a surrounding county. They outsourced their housekeeping department two years ago. Pretty much anyone who worked for the hospital at that time was offered first choice at the "new" jobs through the contractor. Their was almost no turnover with the exception of a couple of employees who were old enough and took retirement. There was an adjustment period but everyone seems well pleased with the service and the employees are making equal or above their original compensation packages. Don't be afraid of the Big Bad Wolf until you are sure it is not just a lap dog. If this saves money, tax money, I say give it a try. Anything that leads to smaller government is worth a shot in my eyes. Seriously we cannot sustain this bloated government machine forever. When everyone works in the public sector who will sustain them. It is a mathematical equation and always leads to the unsustainability of the economy. On the other hand if it does not work or it seems to be another shady good ole boy deal nip it in the bud. Keeping an open mind about it. JMO.

• Like 2

I don't disagree that we need to get the size of the government down. I would make the argument that if we have only have a choice between government employees doing lower skill jobs and the size of the welfare state - I would rather us employ more people than continue this constant handing out of money. Many folks complain about government employees not doing enough - welfare recipients do nothing for us (broad generalization - I know there are exceptions to this statement). But, if we are going to hand out welfare money to the 18 year old or hire him as a custodian and have him exposed to HVAC, plumbing, people skills, etc. - I would rather pay him to do a job than just hand him a check.

Being a civilian employee for the DOD and being hired by a contractor are two different things. As I understood, civilians were federal employees and when Clinton started cutting budgets - those civilian jobs were transferred over to contractors. I knew that they were civilians. Plus, once they were contractors - that meant when families were transferred -it was harder for the civilian part of the family to find a new job at the new base. It is a bit of a double edged sword.

• Like 1

I see your concerns, and I do know some folks that work for the BOE strictly to provide health insurance for their family. But in reality I would assume other than being a day porter (custodian) to stock up the restrooms and clean as needed, the vast majority of housekeeping (vacuum, mopping, dusting, empty trash cans, etc.) comes from a contracted company, not county employees. Think about it, doubtful any county employee is cleaning the schools, courthouse, admin bldg, or any other county building.It's contracted out to avoid having to pay benefits. Sad, but the truth

Our custodians do everything - stripping floors, mopping, cafeteria cleaning, bathrooms, vacuuming, trash, etc.

While I agree that the government needs to cut costs, it seems to me that custodial positions are not the biggest cost that needs cutting.

Perhaps they should weed out some of the chafe at the management level.

I could not agree with you more these jobs are definitely low hanging fruit and for the most part in both the public and private sectors the real fat is in the middle and at the top. But the conversation was about these particular employees and I did not want to get too detailed. Actually I believe the entire education system is low hanging fruit and not even in the conversation when it comes to government waste. It is however very much in the conversation when it comes to governments failure to deliver maximum return on investment. The system is well funded, possibly over funded, but ran like a typical government agency. Too politically correct, too redundant, too opposed to ideas outside the box, too regulated, too over burdened with being wardens and baby sitters instead of teachers, too comfortable with tenure and lack of accountability and on and on. If you really want to discuss waste look at Defense (not our soldiers but the department itself) , DOT, earmarks and the grand daddy of them all entitlement programs.

Before they do this they need to look at Shelby county schools in Tn. They just did this with their school buses.

I kid you not there is a bus wreck almost every day. They had a stoned bus driver seriously wreck a bus.

He had been arrested for drugs before.

They found out the company is not putting out the money for back ground checks like they were in the beginning.

They have lower pay and no benefits so the turn over is very bad.

Over sight of this company for a bus system this big will cost the county the same as having county employee drivers.

We saw the same thing when we turned over our juvenile facility.

Usually people working for government are there for the benefits and retirement. They do a good job because they have good reason to stay with it.

What needs to happen in this state is to get some leverage on the insurance companies that offer the benefits instead of giving it to the highest paying lobbyist at the capitol. This is the reason our state employees are getting screwed.

• Like 1

PX and commissary employees have always been civilians. Downsizing of the Army under the Clinton administration resulted in a reduction of force where the Army had to choose what positions to give up. A lot of those positions were in food services resulting in the need to hire civilians to replace them. There are almost as many civilians working at the Pentagon as there are military personnel. You can't make the civilian personnel do janitorial duties on top of their job. That and because the building is so big they hire janitorial companies; except those companies can't clean in restricted areas that require security clearances so the military personnel do the cleaning.

School districts across the country have turned to companies like ABM, Southern Management, and GSC to clean their schools to save money as the economy has reduced collected tax revenues. By going to these companies the school district saves money by not having to pay for health care, retirement contributions, matching social security deductions, paying workers comp and unemployment insurance, etc. Most of these national cleaning companies like those I named earlier, start their employees out at about $8/hr. Most likely with the employer mandate looming most of the employees they hire will be part-time.

Just to remind everyone, the school district has a responsibility to be fiscally responsible. The priority is also supposed to be to provide the best education for children as possible; not to employ as many people as they can.

Fiscally responsible is looking at the big picture. Costs, quality and overall best decision. Not just cost. Pretty much most all costs for an employee are within a small percentage fixed. So now we would have to pay those costs to a third party plus a nice size profit on not only the person but all materials as well. The only way to cut costs is by cutting pay but we will pay the same because the service is going to make a profit off that savings. While it may look good on paper I can assure you WE will pay more... Been there done that... So I have to ask how would that be physically responsible of our government?

While I agree that the government needs to cut costs, it seems to me that custodial positions are not the biggest cost that needs cutting.

Perhaps they should weed out some of the chafe at the management level.

I know of a school system in another county less populated than Paulding that has three (3) asst. superintendents for the county schools, and one of those retired, and went right back to work doing his exact same job as a consultant for a year or so. Geez frickin' Louise. But hey - let's nickel and dime the custodians and cafeteria peeps. :smh:

Fiscally responsible is looking at the big picture. Costs, quality and overall best decision. Not just cost. Pretty much most all costs for an employee are within a small percentage fixed. So now we would have to pay those costs to a third party plus a nice size profit on not only the person but all materials as well. The only way to cut costs is by cutting pay but we will pay the same because the service is going to make a profit off that savings. While it may look good on paper I can assure you WE will pay more... Been there done that... So I have to ask how would that be physically responsible of our government?

I am wondering if a new company's employees would be Union and if the folks doing the job now are Union? Yes it can make a difference in cost. In general I agree with you post.

I don't disagree that we need to get the size of the government down. I would make the argument that if we have only have a choice between government employees doing lower skill jobs and the size of the welfare state - I would rather us employ more people than continue this constant handing out of money. Many folks complain about government employees not doing enough - welfare recipients do nothing for us (broad generalization - I know there are exceptions to this statement). But, if we are going to hand out welfare money to the 18 year old or hire him as a custodian and have him exposed to HVAC, plumbing, people skills, etc. - I would rather pay him to do a job than just hand him a check.

Being a civilian employee for the DOD and being hired by a contractor are two different things. As I understood, civilians were federal employees and when Clinton started cutting budgets - those civilian jobs were transferred over to contractors. I knew that they were civilians. Plus, once they were contractors - that meant when families were transferred -it was harder for the civilian part of the family to find a new job at the new base. It is a bit of a double edged sword.

I've dealt with the issue you and I are discussing. It doesn't matter if the civilian is a DoD, Dept. of the Army employee, or a contractor you cannot make them clean the building as part of their duties.

The reduction of government employees has been minimal compared to the reduction of military members. I've seen more military jobs become contractor positions than I have government employee jobs become contractor positions.

• Like 1