Paulding.com

Rape is a horrible crime.

There is no question that rape is a horrible crime, one that should carry a harsh punishment. (IMO)

It is a crime of violence and control and there can be no excusing it.

But should someone's life be turned upside down and sideways by accusations of rape, many of which are decades old, when there have been no charges filed, no police reports made, except I think in one case?

Bill Cosby has had several business deals cancelled within the past few days due to women, many who have never been heard from before, who are now saying that he drugged and raped them.

Several of these alleged rape victims have said they had a consensual sexual affair with Mr. Cosby, but that during that time he also drugged and raped them.

One claims Mr. Cosby was a mentor to her, who sexually assaulted her and afterwords she still was allowing him to mentor her and was even alone with him, where he again sexually assaulted her.

Another, an aging model, wrote a book where she told all about her wild sex and drug use, but said nothing about being raped by Mr. Cosby, but now she says Bill Cosby stopped the publisher from allowing that part in her 2002 autobiography.

How quick would that book have sold had that rape story been included in the book?

Yeh, those publishers wouldn't have been licking their lips at that story?

I have no clue if Bill Cosby has ever raped or sexually attacked any women.

If he has, then that is wrong and these women deserve justice.

However, I do wish that these women had been able to find it within themselves to file charges, not only for themselves but for those who came after them. But I do not judge them, I just wish.

Like I said, anyone who does something like that needs to be punished, regardless of who they are or what position in life they hold or how famous they are.

However, if Bill Cosby is innocent of these accusations, then I feel the same punishment should apply to those who would falsely accuse him of these heinous acts.

I am aware of the old saying, "where there is smoke, there is fire", but does that hold true for smoke that is years if not decades old?

No matter what the truth is, it is a shame, either way.

• Like 5

I suppose if you are powerful enough, can make or break a young womans career and can afford a stable full of lawyers you should be able to do whatever the hell you want to do.

You may be able to, but I don't think you should be able to.

If he's innocent then what is happening to him is horrible and criminal. However, I find it completely possible that because of his money and power, any such accusations could be easily "ignored". As they have been for some time. This news isn't necessarily new and he has setteled in the past. We will likely never know the truth. This is just another example of how much power the media has. Just or not, its kind of scary.

There's one lesson to this story. If you're an adult woman and you have been violated, you report the crime while their is enough physical evidence to put your assailant in jail. You don't wait twenty years later when all you have is a "he said she said" case.

I'm assuming you're not a woman. Therefore you have no valid opionions on this subject.

Seriously.

• Like 2

I have to question the authenticity of the accusations because these women claim they happened years and years ago. The former super model said they went into her hotel room after having dinner and she asked him for a "pill" because she was having severe stomach pains. The same woman claims she had been sexually assaulted many times while a teenager. She had a reputation of sleeping with those she felt could help her acting career. Now she's promoting an autobiography. Perhaps she's trying to promote her book.

If he's innocent then what is happening to him is horrible and criminal. However, I find it completely possible that because of his money and power, any such accusations could be easily "ignored". As they have been for some time. This news isn't necessarily new and he has setteled in the past. We will likely never know the truth. This is just another example of how much power the media has. Just or not, its kind of scary.

That is so true and now with the tweeter and youtube and facebook and whatever, you don't even need a "regular" media outlet to get something started.

Like I said, I have no idea what happened, if anything.

If it did, there should justice.

If it didn't, there should be justice.

The Wrap
By Ryan O'Connell
November 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Bill Cosby is staying silent following several women coming forward to accuse the comedian of rape. But what he said during a 1969 comedy routine about drugging women has many who have heard it calling foul, including Howard Stern.

In the bit off of Cosby's album, “It's True! It's True!” the comic jokes about having a fascination with Spanish fly in his youth and a desire to slip it into girls’ drinks.

“Go to a party, see five girls standing alone, ‘Boy if I had a whole jug of Spanish fly, I'd light that corner up over there.”

He then recounts working on the TV series “I Spy” and learning that the show would be going to Spain.

“A childhood dream come true,” Cosby joked, saying both he and his co-star Robert Culp were interested in procuring the drug.

“I never found this guy funny,” Stern said on his radio show Tuesday morning after playing Cosby's comedy bit. “I don't think there's a joke in there at all.”

As TheWrap previously reported, Cosby has been at the end of several rape accusations, many from women who are coming forward now to say the comedian drugged and sexually assaulted them. Cosby was asked about these allegations in a recent interview with NPR but refused to answer any questions about the charges.

“In light of what's going on now, he's totally consumed with the idea that you can drug a girl,” said Stern, who has criticized Cosby in the past. “Again, I don't know that he's guilty of anything.”

“They're claiming they wake up after he gives them a cocktail and their clothes are off and he's hovering over them,” Stern said. “Holy mackerel, what a creepy sight that must be.”

In 2006, Cosby settled out of court for an undisclosed sum of money with Andrea Constand, who told police the comedian drugged and raped her. Last week, actress Barbara Bowman wrote an op-ed piece in The Washington Post saying Cosby did the same to her. On Sunday, former publicist Joan Tarshis also came forward with assertions that Cosby drugged and raped her twice in an article on Hollywood Elsewhere‘s website.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosbys-comedy-bit-drugging-females-sets-howard-210800519.html;_ylt=A0LEVxrjQG1U7ksAkMBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExMGVxM25yBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

First, back when the first alleged assaults took place, he wasn't "rich and powerful".

Second, I have to wonder if there is any truth to these allegations because of the amount of time that has passed and now it's an issue . . . on the heels of him being so outspoken about the problems that the black community creates for itself.

I also remember Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain - even Jessie Jackson - and the allegations brought against them after either being outspoken or on the verge of success.

Destroy their reputation and you take away their credibility and/or authority.

• Like 2

They pulled "The Cosby Show" off of TVland today.

My opinion, I don't believe it. Those so called women should have come forth when it happened. No matter how powerful they thought he was. Also, who is to say, that they didn't initiate, so their career can take off.

And that one big mouth model, didn't know if she was coming or going back then. She needs to just shut her mouth.

I agree it is a shame and I hate that this story has come to the forefront.

However, I do believe that there were times he sexually assaulted women. I have very little doubt of that. There's just too many stories.

There were lots of stories about Bill Clinton as well...

8)

• Like 2

There's one lesson to this story. If you're an adult woman and you have been violated, you report the crime while their is enough physical evidence to put your assailant in jail. You don't wait twenty years later when all you have is a "he said she said" case.

I'm assuming you're not a woman. Therefore you have no valid opionions on this subject.

Seriously.

I don't care how long ago it happened. I will never judge a victim of a violent crime for staying silent or for speaking out. I'm not saying he's guilty, I just think that point is invalid.

Not to sound a little insane or anything, but I agree somewhat with all three of the above statements. CC is correct - EVERY rape victim should report, get a rape kit done in the ER, etc. However, that is a little bit simplistic, because each situation has its own complexities.

Low has a good point; however, I will disagree with her just a little bit. Just because someone doesn't - or cannot, in this case, for men simply cannot understand first-hand the vulnerability every woman feels every day in some manner - understand something first-hand does not mean, IMHO, that they cannot understand it to the best of their ability intellectually. Gavin de Becker is a great example - he is a man, and yet he understands violence against women better than most women I have ever heard discuss the topic. I do agree with low that most men really have no idea as to such situations.

And my weird cuz jenilyn has an excellent point - because each situation IS fraught with its own complexities, I cannot fault a rape victim for not speaking up. I can in my head, but not in my heart. It's such a vile situation to be in, and such a vile action, and some people are hurting on so many levels, that I can understand why some people would not report. My heart goes out to them, because it must be the most alone feeling in the world.

• Like 2

Not to sound a little insane or anything, but I agree somewhat with all three of the above statements. CC is correct - EVERY rape victim should report, get a rape kit done in the ER, etc. However, that is a little bit simplistic, because each situation has its own complexities.

Low has a good point; however, I will disagree with her just a little bit. Just because someone doesn't - or cannot, in this case, for men simply cannot understand first-hand the vulnerability every woman feels every day in some manner - understand something first-hand does not mean, IMHO, that they cannot understand it to the best of their ability intellectually. Gavin de Becker is a great example - he is a man, and yet he understands violence against women better than most women I have ever heard discuss the topic. I do agree with low that most men really have no idea as to such situations.

And my weird cuz jenilyn has an excellent point - because each situation IS fraught with its own complexities, I cannot fault a rape victim for not speaking up. I can in my head, but not in my heart. It's such a vile situation to be in, and such a vile action, and some people are hurting on so many levels, that I can understand why some people would not report. My heart goes out to them, because it must be the most alone feeling in the world.

I think the number of men out there that understand are more than people might think. A lot of men are molested as children. They go unreported because of the shame. Men are taught to suck it up very young.

Many times the victims blame themselves. I can see women caught up in the drug culture blaming themselves if they were already high on something and used bad judgment. Many indulge in sexual fantasies, his fantasy may have been to victimize women.

This is no different than victimizing children. If he did this to many women whether they all come forward or not, he needs to be punished.

Wow how did I miss this in the news?

What I wonder is what do these women have to gain by coming forward now? It sounds like the accusers are all very successful in their own careers so why dredge up something that may or may not have happened over 40 years ago? Do they not realize that their lives will also fall under the microscope?

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%. What good does it do to come forward now when there is no actual proof? I have always loved Bill Cosby. He is the epitome of what a father and family man should be; however, my gut tells me he did these things. It breaks my heart to know that he was not the kind of man he pretended to me. But again, it should have been brought to the forefront way before now.

The panda be good!

off topic - apologies

Never apologize for being off topic in any thread I start.

Heck, I am always thrilled (and surprised) when I am on topic in a thread.

I don't have the ADD, but my brain does sometimes.

• Like 2

Seriously.

I am sorry to say this, but that is a very ignorant statement.

The portion of LPPT's quote below explains why . . .

A lot of men are molested as children. They go unreported because of the shame.

↑ Enough said.

I have always loved Bill Cosby. He is the epitome of what a father and family man should be; however, my gut tells me he did these things. It breaks my heart to know that he was not the kind of man he pretended to me. But again, it should have been brought to the forefront way before now.

What about him has been most influential in your life: your vision of him as what a father and family man should be . . . or the recent allegations?

I am sorry to say this, but that is a very ignorant statement.

The portion of LPPT's quote below explains why . . .

↑ Enough said.

I will agree with that. Power and exploitation can happen to either sex.

I happen to believe that he is guilty, and the women have spoken out in the past. It just so happens there are more that are willing to talk now, and there is power in numbers.

I can absolutely understand why a woman doesn't report a rape. Fear of no one believing her, shame over the whole thing, the idea that someone will say she brought it on herself by her dress, her flirting, being accused of putting herself into a situation of being alone with a man who could help her career, and then lying. It would take a strong woman to report something right after it happened.

As for waiting so many years... When the first woman came out, it likely helped the second have courage. "If she can do it, so can I." Everytime another woman comes forward, it makes it a little easier for the next.

• Like 1

On an aside, I don't believe a word that whole bag of nuts Janice Dickerson says. Nor do I believe the "near collapse" she had on ET.

That woman is a complete, absolute whacko if you ask me.

She first said something about Bill Cosby back in 2006.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/janice-dickinson-said-bill-cosby-was-bad-guy-in-2006-interview-20141911

I believe all of these women. Bill had us tricked!

• Like 1