Paulding.com

new berry college eagle thread

The old eagle thread was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I took it upon myself to start a new one.

I've learned a couple of interesting things of late. Today's Rome News-Tribune has a fantastic shot of the male snatching a coot (a migrating waterfowl) from one of the lakes in Garden Lakes. Subscription required to view the photo, so I can't post. But it is a marvelous shot. Garden Lakes is about 1.5 miles, I reckon, as the crow eagle flies from Berry. Recent update says they're hunting there, and a few other bodies of water nearby. Update also says they're in the nest a lot, doing a lot of "refurbishing". :D

Another thing I've learned is that even though their nest is situated in the midst of two major construction projects on campus (a new welcome center and the new stadium), the eagles aren't concerned. They weren't concerned with the activity of putting up the new camera, either.

Another thing I learned is that there is at least one other eagle nest at Berry. A recent newspaper article said it's northwest of the nest with the cameras, and those eagles do NOT like humans. They were NOT happy when the Berry animal science folks checked on them recently. :D

Here is the linky, for posterity:

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/

• Like 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched the landings web cam on the baby owls,they have just left the nest this week...while it's fun to watch these babies ( owls and Eagles) it's sad to see them leave the nest....but that's life,

How sweet..papa eagle brought mama eagle a valentines day gift breakfast in the nest lol... Funny how daddy eagle is displayed to be so fierce and powerful...but look at him sitting on his babies...he

Two babies now.....now to get through this nasty weather coming in

Posted Images

I took a peek. They are both on the nest rebuilding it right now. :)

Edited by MsGaStorm

They have the vicinity fenced around to keep people away from the eagles, so no thanks. :crazy: I could be wrong, but I believe there is a federal sign posted there.

If there's a fence and a federal sign, it's very recent. I've been out there and you just walk out in the (unfenced on at least one side) pasture about 50' and look up when you get to the tree. They had a whole club of people a couple of weeks ago observing them working on the nest.

And why would you need to climb up in the tree to verify? Get a pair of binoculars.

I am loving watching them work on the nest. One of them will work for the longest time getting a branch put just where they want it, moving it here and there till it's just right. Man, the nest sure looks heftier than it did earlier this year!

• Like 1

I'm enjoying watching them work this morning too!

Thanks for starting the new thread panda. :wub:

:) :wub:

I'm watching too!!

When does the mom lay?

I was reading that last year it was January.

So will it be January again this year?

The FAQ section says that the year before last, the eggs were laid in December and hatched by January 22 (two hatched that year, hence B3's name).

• Like 1

:) :wub:

The FAQ section says that the year before last, the eggs were laid in December and hatched by January 22 (two hatched that year, hence B3's name).

COOL!!!

So maybe by December then!!

Eaglets in the winter and fingers crossed for ducklings again this spring! :yahoo:

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

They are so beautiful. I was watching the other day when it was really windy and one of them was sitting in the nest looking around, and the wind was blowing his/her feathers all over, and he/she just looked so serene. I love how you can see the ground moving under the nest when it's windy. :D

I also love how they've refurbished the nest. It looks like hundreds more sticks, and then a cushy layer of straw right in the middle.

You can always tell them apart because the mother is A LOT bigger than the father and she is the dominate one. Also, the father looks like he has more eye liner around his eyes than the mother. Mother also favors her right foot.

He was bringing her gifts of fish and other foods when he was courting her. Even thou some think eagles once they come together they will stay together. No, if the female feels the male isn't doing enough, she will boot him out, and find another partner. Thank gawd, this isn't happening with our Berry Eagles. They are perfect for each other.

I feel the nest has to many sticks on one side, and the middle is small compare to what it was at the beginning of the year for B3.

I was hoping they would even out the sticks and make the middle bigger. I just hope they don't leave the nest for next time, and find another tree to build a new nest.

When I'm all healed and Radiation is all done, I hope to make it up to Berry College to see them.

• Like 2

Here is a picture of the female and male from another nest, to show how much bigger the female is compared to the male. Now, I will say our Momma from Berry College is bigger than the female in the picture. The female is on the left.

10730977_10204131074950439_3066865803338

• 4 weeks later...

Posted 12 mins ago on FB!!!!

Egg watch 2015 is now on high alert! Happy New Year from the Berry Eagles! Our eagle couple is in or around the nest quite a bit so we expect eggs any time.

Edited by Blondiega1

Mom and Dad are at the nest now.

You can tell that Mom is really prepping the nest for egg laying.

The best part of Nest Cam 2 is turning your sound on and listening in the background to all the people that are there! :lol:

There's some country fried folks going to see the Eagles!

And I can say that cause I'm pretty country fried myself! :lol:

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/nest2/

WE HAVE OUR FIRST EGG!!!!

I KNEW mama looked like she was getting ready to lay!

I could tell by the way she was fluffing and sitting on the nest!

WE HAVE AN EGG!!! I was watching Cam 1 and she got up and started moving around and I saw it!!! Woo hoo!!!

You posted it same time as me!!!!

I'm trying to post a pic for everyone now!

firsteagleegg2015_zps0c4f9333.png

Edited by Blondiega1
  • Like 1

Wow just before the coldest day this year. keep that egg warm mama!

I have no doubt she will!!

Her and Daddy will double team it to keep warm.

She may still lay a couple of more eggs in the next day or two.

Just have to wait and see!!

And I will be watching!

WE HAVE OUR FIRST EGG!!!! I KNEW mama looked like she was getting ready to lay!I could tell by the way she was fluffing and sitting on the nest! You posted it same time as me!!!! I'm trying to post a pic for everyone now! firsteagleegg2015_zps0c4f9333.png

YAY!! Thanks for posting the beautiful pic!