Paulding.com

Illegals can now serve in the Military

The article refers to those being able to serve as having come here before they were 16 with their parents. I would bet that they have more loyalty to our country then the one they came from. If someone came here at 6 years old because their PARENTS chose to come here illegally, I'm not going to hold that against them if they are willing to go fight and possibly die for our country. I'm sure there are many who consider this their only home seeing as they came here as children.

You might see it differently if due to an Executive Order they are able to take your child's or your grandchild's seat in college or in a job or even in the military. Let them get at the back of the line and apply for citizenship instead of breaking in line ahead of folks who have done it the right way.

Your history on the Cubans is quite distorted. They were not granted 6 month visas that were not extended as you claim. The Cubans who fled their country for the US were categorized as political refugees which allowed them a different status and treatment under US immigration laws. A lot of them who came to the US in 1959 thought their stay here would not be long as they thought the Castro government would fail.

In 1962, there was Operation Peter Pan where we allowed Cubans to send their children age 6-17 to the US where they were placed in foster homes until their parents could make it to the US. From 1965 to early 1973, the US operated twice daily flights from Varadero Beach, Cuba to Miami carrying political refugees. In all, these flights brought more than 265,000 political refugees from Cuba to the US.

All of these refugees were granted asylum by the US, meaning they are here legally and able to stay permanently. Your statement they were granted six month visas that made them illegals afterwards is false.

Look closer EZ, the first arrivals for 6 months or more came in on commercial flights, boats, or other such means. The political asylum visas did not start until after Castro actually marched into Havana and formed his communist government.

Also note those who were granted asylum still have only residency. If they choose to leave even to visit Mexico or Canada do NOT automatically get travel papers.

The guys I knew from Cuba who went the Viet Nam route to citizen ship did so in order to be able to get a passport and travel.

Many were not properly documented when they joined the army but were accepted with open arms, many right into OCS/OTS.

The point is, if we NEED them in the army then go for it.

They also, I believe, can join the Peace Corp.

You might see it differently if due to an Executive Order they are able to take your child's or your grandchild's seat in college or in a job or even in the military. Let them get at the back of the line and apply for citizenship instead of breaking in line ahead of folks who have done it the right way.

You keep bringing up "Executive Order" and Obama acting unilaterally.....if you're such a constitutionalist, where's your thread on Boehner deferring to Obama on military action in two sovereign nations and refusing to vote on a war resolution, which Congress is constitutionall obligated to provide prior to widescale military action, until after the elections? You know, Boehner, the same guy who wants to sue the President for trying to bypass Congress?

mrnn

Sure they can go to college using the GI Bill, but it's still going to be a financial hardship for many of them; especially if they are married. As far as some of them being able to get on their parents insurance; they were independent and on their own for several years, but now the government puts medical responsibility on their parents shoulders, that is if their parents have medical insurance.

Military members on active duty can take college classes and the military will pay 100% of their tuition. I knew enlisted members who are taking classes to earn their Bachelor or Masters degrees. I knew officers using it to get their Master's. Once booted out, they lose that benefit.

The downsizing of our military is a stupid idea; especially during this economic crisis. Is that how we say "thank you" for their service and sacrifices? "Thank you for your service, but we are now putting you amongst the ranks of the unemployed. Have a nice life."

So what we're going to do is give them special privileges over those born here and those who came here legally. That's pretty moronic in my book.

Officers get the GI BILL too.. .. And if the spouse has to quit her job due to Servicemember relocating she can also get unemployment.

Look closer EZ, the first arrivals for 6 months or more came in on commercial flights, boats, or other such means. The political asylum visas did not start until after Castro actually marched into Havana and formed his communist government.

Also note those who were granted asylum still have only residency. If they choose to leave even to visit Mexico or Canada do NOT automatically get travel papers.

The guys I knew from Cuba who went the Viet Nam route to citizen ship did so in order to be able to get a passport and travel.

Many were not properly documented when they joined the army but were accepted with open arms, many right into OCS/OTS.

The point is, if we NEED them in the army then go for it.

They also, I believe, can join the Peace Corp.

First of all, we don't need them in the military. We have been able to meet our authorized strength numbers as an all volunteer Army for years.

I suggest you look again. Once granted asylum you can stay in the US indefinitely. They can apply for a green card a year after being granted asylum. As a refugee or asylee they can receive a travel document that allows them to return to the US if they travel abroad. If they travel to their home country, their asylum can be terminated.

Once someone who has received asylum in the US obtains a green card, they can enlist in our military. It's always been this way for those who came here from Cuba.

First of all, we don't need them in the military. We have been able to meet our authorized strength numbers as an all volunteer Army for years.

I suggest you look again. Once granted asylum you can stay in the US indefinitely. They can apply for a green card a year after being granted asylum. As a refugee or asylee they can receive a travel document that allows them to return to the US if they travel abroad. If they travel to their home country, their asylum can be terminated.

Once someone who has received asylum in the US obtains a green card, they can enlist in our military. It's always been this way for those who came here from Cuba.

From your article.

"The military services are not required to accept recruits under MAVNI. In recent years, the Army has been the only service to accept a significant number of recruits under the program. The Air Force has accepted only a few and the Navy and Marine Corps have not sought MAVNI recruits in recent years."

The military has been a path to citizenship for a long time. Budget cuts mean all parts of government has to share the cuts. We could raise taxes to cover the added cost but I don't want to support that right now. We can't stomach tax hikes so we have to cut. This is just one of the cuts.

LaFayette, Kosciusko, Pulaski, Von Steuben ... and the list goes on and on of those 'illegal aliens' that fought for our revolution.

We named cities for most of them.

pubby

How could they be illegal aliens on a country that didn't exist at the time?

Wasn't that what the war was about?

Until the war was over, there wasn't a United States.

You keep bringing up "Executive Order" and Obama acting unilaterally.....if you're such a constitutionalist, where's your thread on Boehner deferring to Obama on military action in two sovereign nations and refusing to vote on a war resolution, which Congress is constitutionall obligated to provide prior to widescale military action, until after the elections? You know, Boehner, the same guy who wants to sue the President for trying to bypass Congress?

mrnn

I don't like Boehner so I won't comment on him any further.

How could they be illegal aliens on a country that didn't exist at the time?

Wasn't that what the war was about?

Until the war was over, there wasn't a United States.

They weren't illegal aliens because we invited them to come and help us form our Army. Pubby must believe Illegal immigrants were invited here.

I don't like Boehner so I won't comment on him any further.

:good: :good: :good:

Not quite that easy, and especially for anyone traveling as a sales rep, consultant, etc.

'

A resident without a US Passport, under the various assylum classifications must obtain a "parole" for every trip when they are leaving the country. It mus be extremely specific as to departure, arrival back here, where they are going, where they are staying, purpose of the trip, customers and or trade shows visited, etc.

Cost is about $250 each time.

Note: If they have gone to say the Latin America Poultry Congresso in Lima, Peru. And a customer from Peru meets up with them at the show and invites them to come and visit, and stay 2 days longer, they can't do it. They have to come back here per the terms of the parole, obtain a new one [30-45 days] and go again.

My Latin American Sales manager was a political assylum resident from Medellin, Colombia. She went the assylum route per suggestions from some of her friends. She called the US her "Gilded Cage", as she loved it here [she is now a US citizen] but could not even go home to visit her mom and dad.

The point it, we have had technical illegal aliens in our armed forces before. Big time during the latter years of Viet Nam, and many were killed and wounded. They were here under similar cirumstances to the DREAM Act illegals. Their parents brought them here, without much discussion if they wanted to come or not. They grew up here, went to school here, learned to speak English here, and when offered, entered the army, navy, etc. AS A MEANS OF OBTAINING THEIR CITIZENSHIP.

There was a group of them I worked with, who did an excellant job getting good market penetration into all of Central and South America selling USA poultry equipment from hatchery and feedmill, to breeder hatching egg production, grow out, transport, killing, and cooking/further processing.

For many it was a continuation of the business their family had in Cuba. Either their dad, uncle, etc. They were familiar with USA production as the USA side of the industry and the Cubans worked bery closely together. More so than any other Latin country, and Cuba had one of if not the most modern poultry production set ups in all of latin america.

So they take their family's heritage business, their ability to speak Spanish properly, not like a gringo, and Miami International Airport, and within a few years, the USA is controlling the equipment market for all of latin America. But they needed that US Passport to come and go as they wanted and needed, and the military became the best way for most of those I knew to get it.

And other than as their adopted country, they had no more or less affection for the USA than the Dream Act kids/adults. Most of the Cubans really expected Castro to fail, for us to topple or do away with him, and for them to go home, SOON. So for the parents, they never became citizens., But for the kids, like the Dream Act kids, it was not their choice, and even though they are technically illegal. they are far more "American" than mexican, nicarauguan, etc.

They weren't illegal aliens because we invited them to come and help us form our Army. Pubby must believe Illegal immigrants were invited here.

:good: :good: :good:

I think the British attitude was that those doing the inviting didn't have the authority given they were in the eyes of the sovereign, traitors to the Crown.

pubby

Not quite that easy, and especially for anyone traveling as a sales rep, consultant, etc.

'

A resident without a US Passport, under the various assylum classifications must obtain a "parole" for every trip when they are leaving the country. It mus be extremely specific as to departure, arrival back here, where they are going, where they are staying, purpose of the trip, customers and or trade shows visited, etc.

Note: If they have gone to say the Latin America Poultry Congresso in Lima, Peru. And a customer from Peru meets up with them at the show and invites them to come and visit, and stay 2 days longer, they can't do it. They have to come back here per the terms of the parole, obtain a new one [30-45 days] and go again.

My Latin American Sales manager was a political assylum resident from Medellin, Colombia. She went the assylum route per suggestions from some of her friends. She called the US her "Gilded Cage", as she loved it here [she is now a US citizen] but could not even go home to visit her mom and dad.

The point it, we have had technical illegal aliens in our armed forces before. Big time during the latter years of Viet Nam, and many were killed and wounded. They were here under similar cirumstances to the DREAM Act illegals. Their parents brought them here, without much discussion if they wanted to come or not. They grew up here, went to school here, learned to speak English here, and when offered, entered the army, navy, etc. AS A MEANS OF OBTAINING THEIR CITIZENSHIP.

There was a group of them I worked with, who did an excellant job getting good market penetration into all of Central and South America selling USA poultry equipment from hatchery and feedmill, to breeder hatching egg production, grow out, transport, killing, and cooking/further processing.

For many it was a continuation of the business their family had in Cuba. Either their dad, uncle, etc. They were familiar with USA production as the USA side of the industry and the Cubans worked bery closely together. More so than any other Latin country, and Cuba had one of if not the most modern poultry production set ups in all of latin america.

So they take their family's heritage business, their ability to speak Spanish properly, not like a gringo, and Miami International Airport, and within a few years, the USA is controlling the equipment market for all of latin America. But they needed that US Passport to come and go as they wanted and needed, and the military became the best way for most of those I knew to get it.

And other than as their adopted country, they had no more or less affection for the USA than the Dream Act kids/adults. Most of the Cubans really expected Castro to fail, for us to topple or do away with him, and for them to go home, SOON. So for the parents, they never became citizens., But for the kids, like the Dream Act kids, it was not their choice, and even though they are technically illegal. they are far more "American" than mexican, nicarauguan, etc.

A refugee travel document issued by the US government is good for a year. After a refugee or asylee has been in the US for one year, they can obtain their green card.

'

Fine example you want to set. The parents are illegal and the kids are illegal. They want to have all of the benefits of being a citizen while breaking the laws of this nation. How do you know they love America? Look up La Raza and see what they are all about. BTW not all of them are from Mexico.

I have never seen hard numbers, but from my limited direct exposure and those dealing with many of the legal issues and these now grown kids is that most of their parents are legal.

They just never got their kids they brought most often later legalized. It was and is cheaper to fly under the radar while the kids are in school.

Often the parents even have very high paid jobs. They came here to get away from the violence.

Many have been here all their lives and don't remember enough Spanish to be able to speak.

Now theses Texas Arizona latin kids not from Mexico coming in often are salvadoran or Guatemalans with well off families who have sent them here via Mexico because our stupid law says we cannot deport them back to their country if origin without due process in a court hearing.

So they hire high dollar immogration attorneys to get the kids a resident card. And they hope to legally join them later. Being in care here is safer than where they came from.

The laws, many of them are in fire need of changing. Congress refuses to actively pursue immigration reform.

How can you say that when soldiers who want to serve and remain in the military are being pink slipped? I think it is another path that will lead to the down fall of this nation.

I am reminded of the Viso-Goths for some reason.

For most of its history, Rome’s military was the envy of the ancient world. But during the decline, the makeup of the once mighty legions began to change. Unable to recruit enough soldiers from the Roman citizenry, emperors like Diocletian and Constantine began hiring foreign mercenaries to prop up their armies. The ranks of the legions eventually swelled with Germanic Goths and other barbarians, so much so that Romans began using the Latin word “barbarus” in place of “soldier.” While these Germanic soldiers of fortune proved to be fierce warriors, they also had little or no loyalty to the empire, and their power-hungry officers often turned against their Roman employers. In fact, many of the barbarians who sacked the city of Rome and brought down the Western Empire had earned their military stripes while serving in the Roman legions.

The above taken from The History Channel at this LINK

So did I. Anyone who knows any history can see where this is going. Doomed to repeat it apparently because it is after all "for the children".

But people of today can take the failures of yesterday and make them work, at least that's what they believe.

• Like 1