Paulding.com

FY 2015 Paulding County Timber Harvest Contract 165.8+/- acres within the Paulding Forest Tract

Airport related?

-------

Description:

Timber harvesting activities on approximately 165.8+/- acres within the Paulding Forest Tract.

Publication Date/Time: 9/24/2014 8:30 AM

Closing Date/Time: 10/31/2014 11:00 AM

Contact Person: Wayne Cauthen – Coosa Forestry Services

Ph: 706-232-6564

E-mail: wcauthen@coosaforestry.com

Fee: No Charge

Plan & Spec Available:

Coosa Forestry Services, Inc.

1902 Parish Drive SE

Rome, GA 30161-9575

Business Hours:

8:00am-5:00pm

Special Requirements:

See Timber Sale Package

Related Documents:

Paulding Co Timber Sale Advertisement

VendorPacketv14

Sounds like a normal sale to me, but without seeing the map of where they are clearing it's hard to tell.

Now, they may be selling this portion to gain funds since they are making less than they are spending (perhaps due to the airport costs), but that's another argument. :)

Sounds like a normal sale to me, but without seeing the map of where they are clearing it's hard to tell.

Now, they may be selling this portion to gain funds since they are making less than they are spending (perhaps due to the airport costs), but that's another argument. :)

I am truly curious. Not stirring the pot with this--but I can't find any info on the tract (map, coordinates, etc.) I thought perhaps someone else around pcom may know.

For the 25 years I have lived in Braswell, they have been periodically logging various areas, including acreage at Blue Car Body Rd and the property where the Paulding Forest sign is located in the city limits. I know some of the property was/is owned by the Jones family, but I am pretty sure some of it is in the Paulding Forest as well, although I am only basing this on what I have seen over the years.

Also, I thought it was specified when the county bought the greenspace acreage that the timber there could/would be sold.

All of this is to say that this may not even necessarily be in the area of the airport, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

So the county can allow timber to be sold by the original owners via the "contract" for the green space, but the City of Atlanta cannot tell us what to do with the land we bought from them?

Double Standard? I think so.

I wonder if the logging is to keep the area from becoming too much of a fire hazard. It's one thing for virgin forest to grow naturally, but a pure pine farm with layer after layer of pine straw around the trees would seem to be a open invitation for a major fire.

Not that I'm a forest expert understand, but I did burn some pine limbs this weekend. :)

• Like 2

I wonder if the logging is to keep the area from becoming too much of a fire hazard. It's one thing for virgin forest to grow naturally, but a pure pine farm with layer after layer of pine straw around the trees would seem to be a open invitation for a major fire.

Not that I'm a forest expert understand, but I did burn some pine limbs this weekend. :)

Ha! You do have a point, however controlled burns happen even in the Sierra Nevada's without timber harvesting.

Ha! You do have a point, however controlled burns happen even in the Sierra Nevada's without timber harvesting.

It kinda depends on if they re-seed with pines. If they are thinning (or clearing) to make room for a mixed hardwoods and pine forest to come it, then I could understand it.

So the county can allow timber to be sold by the original owners via the "contract" for the green space,

Yes,............from my understanding The Jones Company owned "the dirt" and a timber company still owned the trees,that timber company can still come in and get their trees.

It's amazing how these big landowners can use loopholes in the tax codes to save them money.