Paulding.com

2.00 charge for parking @ Allatoona H.S. football game

I was told that parking was 2.00 and found out during the game that it was a donation and you didn't have to pay it. I was told by the parking lady when we pulled in that it cost 2.00 to park. She never mentioned a donation to me.

The person collecting the 'donation' is probably a volunteer who was not given details on how to handle donations. She may not have even known it was a donation if someone told her the job was to collect $2.00 from every car.

GHSA doesn't allow them to charge for parking - but they can ask for it anyway. You just have to know.

As for paying for the games - that's a GHSA rule as well. It gets crazy expensive when teams go on to regional and state playoff games. Very expensive.

GHSA doesn't allow them to charge for parking - but they can ask for it anyway. You just have to know.

As for paying for the games - that's a GHSA rule as well. It gets crazy expensive when teams go on to regional and state playoff games. Very expensive.

Wow, that seems a little dishonest to me. I'm glad to have this info, thanks!

JTH is correct and so many schools make out that you must pay to park. As long as they are public schools they can't charge. Think about the regionals, play offs or state championships. Tickets get very high.

I noticed when I went down Due West today (Saturday) and approached Harrison High School that there were signs all along the road saying parking 5.00. I think that they were directing cars to other parking lots off school property. When we were going to the Allatoona game on Friday night we were stuck in traffic on hwy 92 for a while. When we finally got into the school parking lot they we taking money from everybody in two different lanes coming in. It took a lot of time to take money from all the incoming vehicles and to make change since most people paid with a twenty dollar bill. I just know that a lot of money was made Friday night for Allatoona High School. It's funny how there were parking attendants when we came in but afterward when the game was over they were nowhere to be found to help cars leaving the parking lot. It took us almost an hour to get out of their parking lot.

Do you have a link to GHSA information showing that parking fees are not allowed?

I have emailed the GHSA to get clarification. I will post their response

I'm curious so look forward to the response. It may be that another booster organization is benefiting from the parking fee and not the football boosters. Did you write to Allatoona to ask?

I went to a XC meet on Saturday and had to pay $5 for parking at a Douglas County Park. I know that when three are meets here at Paulding public properties the parks & rec department does not allow the booster club running the event to charge. I could not find anything in the GHSA constitution regarding parking.

This would really help some people who have to pay for other siblings to go to games as well. Please post guidelines so that we can KNOW if we should tell them we do not have to give a donation everytime.

I would not want to hold up line or embarrass myself and children if this is not Factual.

Per GHSA it is up to each school system to allow or not allow. GHSA does not govern Parking.

Thanks for the update.

I know Harrison high school in Cobb charges $5 for parking in the school lot. $2 at Allatoona sounds like a bargain! For Harrison games a free shuttle school bus is provided for those not wanting to pay. It leaves from the Burnt Hickory Baptist church parking lot and runs back and forth during the game and drops off and picks up very close to the stadium. Does Allatoona offer a shuttle bus service with another parking choice? If so, there should be no arguing with the volunteers in the parking lot collecting the fee.

I'm wondering are they charging the folks with handicap plates and placards to park as well?

I don't know the answer to that question.

My first thought was "people with handicap plates shouln't have to pay". My second thought was "why not?". I don't have an answer to that question either. Perhaps they could not take advantage of the free bus service due to a disability but does that mean they shouldn't pay in order to be in a spot that is accessible for a special event?

Edited by Boston Butt

I don't know the answer to that question.

My first thought was "people with handicap plates shouln't have to pay". My second thought was "why not?". I don't have an answer to that question either. Perhaps they could not take advantage of the free bus service due to a disability but does that mean they shouldn't pay in order to be in a spot that is accessible for a special event?

IDK either. But, would the shuttle be able to transport a wheelchair bound person?

At tonight's game it appeared to me that Cobb schools allow those with disability placards or license plates to park inside the stadium. Looks like there's no need to get a wheelchair on a school bus since one can drive oneself into the stadium area to park one's own vehicle. I doubt there was a parking fee for those using in-stadium disabled parking but I can't be positive on that point.

At tonight's game it appeared to me that Cobb schools allow those with disability placards or license plates to park inside the stadium. Looks like there's no need to get a wheelchair on a school bus since one can drive oneself into the stadium area to park one's own vehicle. I doubt there was a parking fee for those using in-stadium disabled parking but I can't be positive on that point.

That's good to know.

There are a lot of people who are wheel chair bound that drive their own vehicle.