Paulding.com

I need good juju, prayers, whatever......FAST

I called to tell my step dad happy birthday at 9:00 and got no answer. His wife called back around 9:15 and told me that he'd been in a horrible car accident on Saturday and was in ICU at Atlanta Medical Center. This isn't a person I have fleeting relationship with, I talk to him twice a week at least and no one bothered to call me. I'm so upset. He has 8 broken ribs, a broken sternum, a collapsed lung and other internal injuries. This man has been my dad since I was 11 years old and I was worried enough because he's having a lobectomy on his lung on Sept. 5 because of a spot they think could be cancer and now this. It sucks.

Any wishes, prayers, whatever you've got would greatly appreciated.

I called to tell my step dad happy birthday at 9:00 and got no answer. His wife called back around 9:15 and told me that he'd been in a horrible car accident on Saturday and was in ICU at Atlanta Medical Center. This isn't a person I have fleeting relationship with, I talk to him twice a week at least and no one bothered to call me. I'm so upset. He has 8 broken ribs, a broken sternum, a collapsed lung and other internal injuries. This man has been my dad since I was 11 years old and I was worried enough because he's having a lobectomy on his lung on Sept. 5 because of a spot they think could be cancer and now this. It sucks.

Any wishes, prayers, whatever you've got would greatly appreciated.

Saying prayers for your step dad and also for you sweet lady - hope and pray that everything turns out fine!

I am so sorry. Prayers said for quick & complete healing for him and peace for yourself.

Once again, thank you all for the support. I'm meeting Hubby at the hospital as we speak and have no idea what to expect when we get inside. His wife is here and while I know this is neither the time or place, I'm so angry that she didn't call me or at least have SOMEONE, ANYONE call. But that's for another day, our energy needs to be focused on his recovery. I think I'm going to puke.

We just got home after our visit and he didn't even know we were there. He looks awful, beat up, cut, bruised and swollen. It's so hard to see someone you love in that condition not knowing if they can hear you or if they know that you're there. But I know we were there and that's all I can control. Even though the day wasn't long, it was emotionally exhausting.

It's good that I have an ulcer because I can't drink. I think if I could, I'd probably be tipping a bottle about now.

Weeeell, now my youngest daughter is in the hospital too. She was having a bought with kidney stones and now has such a severe kidney infection, she's been admitted. I was up most of the night getting her situated and waiting on info so I'm a pretty tired gal. I was going to visit my step dad again today, but I think now we're staying closer to home with our sick kid. SD will have to wait til tomorrow since he's at Atlanta Medical Ctr., it's just too far to go today.

Bless your heart. When it rains it pours. They can control your daughter's pain with meds but there's no antidote to a parent's anguish. Make sure to take care of yourself and rest when you can. You're going to need it. Hugs.

:) Thank you!

Well, dang it! Hasn't your daughter had this issue before, or am I thinking of someone else? Either way, it's draining to go through all this.

Still praying for you. :wub:

Well, dang it! Hasn't your daughter had this issue before, or am I thinking of someone else? Either way, it's draining to go through all this.

Still praying for you. :wub:

Yes, it was her. It started Monday with kidney stones blocking the tube from her kidneys which led to her not being able to pee, which forced urine back into her kidneys, which is not good. We went to the hospital, they put a cath in, 4 stones passed and they sent her home with the cath. But the damage had already been done and this started last night. The link below is what she has and it's awful. She had a puking bought because the pain was so severe and there was nothing for her to puke in, but a ice pitcher. Needless to say, I wasn't the happiest of campers and when I couldn't get any help from the nurse button, I was screaming from her bedside that I needed help all the while trying to catch vomit. A woman strolled in about 6 minutes later carrying a cardboard round thing, but by then, we had already emptied 2 ice pitchers, our hands and 2 large cups and had her cleaned up.

That was at 3:00 and her her pain meds were an hour late which I believe caused the vomiting. 'Oh, you could have had pain meds at 2:00'. I'm sorry.....WHAT????? WTH. 'Oh, you have to ask for it'.

I went to the new PC hosp confident that she would be in good hands, but I haven't been impressed with her nurse today at all. Hopefully, shift change will improve the care. Now John on the other hand, is wonderful. He is the guy who takes BP's, gets drinks, ice, etc.

I know I'm her mother, but I know the difference between good, compassionate care and a care giver that acts like you're bothering them. The last time she was in the hospital at the old PC hosp with similar issues, they stayed on top of everything making sure to check her for pain, nausea and doing everything in their power to ease both. She doesn't seem to be getting that this time.

I've asked 6 times since 10:30 this morning for a heating pad just to try anything to sooth her and she still doesn't have one. 'Oh, I'll order one. I'll order one. I'll order one'. We left at 3:45 to eat and there still isn't a heating pad in her room.

I'm touchy, tired, hungry, worried, etc, but once again, I know the difference between a compassionate care giver and just the opposite. I'm trying to keep a good attitude and an open mind because I know one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch, but DA@N!

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/pyelonephritis/index.aspx#1

but once again, I know the difference between a compassionate care giver and just the opposite. I'm trying to keep a good attitude and an open mind because I know one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch, but DA@N!

GAH!!! I hate that. Several years ago, my then-16yo nephew in Tennessee had an acute brain injury from a car crash. I stayed with him overnight so SIL could get some sleep (after sitting at the hospital for three weeks straight) before going with him to Shepherd Center the following day. He recovered great, but that was when he was still in a coma, and he was storming (wild behavior) and trying to pull out his feeding tube, etc. I wrestled with him all night, and by morning rounds, he had worked himself almost all the way off the bed and I hadn't seen a nurse for hours. This bad-attitude nurse came in and I said I need help here, and she just turned and walked out. About five minutes later, i heard a doctor in the hall talking while on his rounds, and I hollered at the top of my lungs that I needed help. I got it. ;) I let them know what I thought of their nursing staff that night, too.

GAH!!! I hate that. Several years ago, my then-16yo nephew in Tennessee had an acute brain injury from a car crash. I stayed with him overnight so SIL could get some sleep (after sitting at the hospital for three weeks straight) before going with him to Shepherd Center the following day. He recovered great, but that was when he was still in a coma, and he was storming (wild behavior) and trying to pull out his feeding tube, etc. I wrestled with him all night, and by morning rounds, he had worked himself almost all the way off the bed and I hadn't seen a nurse for hours. This bad-attitude nurse came in and I said I need help here, and she just turned and walked out. About five minutes later, i heard a doctor in the hall talking while on his rounds, and I hollered at the top of my lungs that I needed help. I got it. ;) I let them know what I thought of their nursing staff that night, too.

Good for you, but it's a shame that you have to act bad to get help. After I updated this afternoon, we went back to the hospital and I ended up asking why she couldn't get a drip for nausea, such as Regelin(sp), to stay in her system and not Zofran every 8 hours. 'Well, I'd have to ask the dr'. 'OK, CALL AND ASK HIM'. 'Weeeeeell, I guess I could'. 'THEN DO IT. NOW'. I, as a lay person, should never know more about meds than a registered nurse. At least not in my opinion. This nurse has been so indifferent all day long, it's hard to believe.

Her boyfriend is with her tonite and he can be a harda$$, so I know she'll be in good hands, I just hope her new nurse will be an improvement over the one today.

Wow, you're really going through it this week. Just try to breathe and I've got ya covered on the prayers! Like a couple others have mentioned, please try to take care of yourself through this. :wub:

• Like 1