Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Rose Luxemburg

Ebola threat in Paulding

It's easy. Make it a 21 day quarantine for anyone entering the country. We have plenty of closed military bases to hold them in. Charge them 100 dollars a day for the stay. That way only people who really really need to overseas will.

Or surepips solution to nuke em till they glow.

• Like 1

It's easy. Make it a 21 day quarantine for anyone entering the country. We have plenty of closed military bases to hold them in. Charge them 100 dollars a day for the stay. That way only people who really really need to overseas will.

Or surepips solution to nuke em till they glow.

I like your suggestion, both of them.

I think you confuse stradial for surepip, Sound Guy ... I don't think he's ever been a duke nukem kind of guy like stradial is :)

pubby

I think you confuse stradial for surepip, Sound Guy ... I don't think he's ever been a duke nukem kind of guy like stradial is :)

pubby

If you got em, use em. :)

Nope. There are many other ways for one to depart Liberia to a other country - train, car, private plane.... And then hop a plane to Paris, Rome, where ever and then fly to here. If they have available money, and 2 passports there is no way to track where they've been.

Stop it at the source or pay the consequences.

Thomas Duncan departed by plane.

;)

Brietbart? get serious.

First, this trip was planned and booked with visas etc. on Sept. 2 .. He didn't have it on Sept. 2nd or he'd still be in Monrovia and probably dead.

I'm pretty sure with his future ahead, he didn't go out and get it just 'for the experience' ... drugs are cheaper and provide a lot better experience with much lower risk ... even if the delirium is a good one as you slip near death.

pubby

Why are we still issuing tourist visas to Liberians in the midst of an epidemic ? ? ?

:fool:

• Like 1

All I know is that I am pretty sure I had ebola the other day, but I feel better now.

You and me both. I went to bed extra early last night in an effort to recover fully for the weekend.

You and me both. I went to bed extra early last night in an effort to recover fully for the weekend.

I guess you two had that 12 hour ebola.

The one where a few extra hours sleep will get rid of it.

:)

• Like 1

If you got em, use em. :)

Yep! Turn that entire side of the planet into a big glass ashtray.

Besides, Tarzan was never filmed in Africa anyway. Tarzan, like most of the information about Ebola, was fake. And the only use I have ever had for Africa was Tarzan. I did like Cheetah okay until he won the election.

Have not read all the posts in this thread.

If there is no threat from ebola on planes,then have Obama's daughters shake hands with every one as they get off the planes

Edited by Gone

Thomas Duncan departed by plane.

;)

No doubt this guy should have been detained and thoroughly screened in Belgium as his ticket was Liberia-Brussels- Dulles-Dallas. Whether he showed enough symptoms to detain and quarantine will never be known now, but he should have set off the alarms.

For others from here on, if they have the bucks and are not showing symptoms its going to be virtually impossible to know they've been in an Ebola hot spot.

Have not read all the posts in this thread.

If there is no threat from ebola on planes,then have Obama's daughters shake hands with every one as they get off the planes

Here is a bit from Buzzfeed on how a county official showed understanding that the woman and her relatives that were hosting the ebola victim before he was diagnosed, went in and visited with the family in the apartment and also arranged for them to take a break while they are under quarantine to live in a bit nicer home on a multi-acre compound in the county.

Texas Judge Clay Jenkins announced Friday at a news conference that Duncan’s family had been moved out of their apartment, where they had been quarantined, to “an appropriate location.” Jenkins did not identify the location, but described it as a comfortable site away from other people where “there’s room to roam.”

Jenkins personally met and relocated the family. Despite being in close quarters with them for 45 minutes, Duncan said there was no chance of transmitting the disease because they were not symptomatic. “I’m wearing the same shirt as I was with that family,” Jenkins added during the news conference.

Authorities also have retrieved Duncan’s belongings, put them in garbage bags, and doused them with bleach. Crews are waiting for permits before disposing of the items. Jenkins said the state of Texas is footing the $65,000 bill for the Ebola response, though he did not have information about how Duncan’s medical costs are being covered.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings also spoke at the news conference and said people in Dallas should not be afraid of catching Ebola. “I want everybody to get out and have a good time,” he said, referring to an upcoming city event.

Duncan's remarks, as reported by the NYTimes, included that he was wearing the same shirt that he wore in the apartment and he was planning to go home and have dinner with his family in that same shirt because they aren't contagious and it silly to do otherwise. (Sounds like a science-believing maybe closet Democrat to me.)

No doubt this guy should have been detained and thoroughly screened in Belgium as his ticket was Liberia-Brussels- Dulles-Dallas. Whether he showed enough symptoms to detain and quarantine will never be known now, but he should have set off the alarms.

For others from here on, if they have the bucks and are not showing symptoms its going to be virtually impossible to know they've been in an Ebola hot spot.

And I don't think there is much danger regardless. I mean if someone gets ill with this and have bucks, they're not going to be about getting on a plane to get to America - there is mighty-fine health care all over (Nigeria for instance) where the same protocols of keeping the person hydrated, their potassium levels up and the earlier the care begins, the better the outcome. The point being, if you become exposed, while you don't want to be in Liberia or Seirra Leone and have bucks, you do want to get to the closest modern hospital whether it is in africa, Europe or the middle east. If you want potentially life-saving treatment you'll go there ... not delay treatment by trying to get here while you're sick.

pubby

PS: You'd probably be better off going to Cuba with this, than here; at least until there are more than a dozen doses of MZapp available (i.e. production is increased dramatically ... then it won't make much difference at all.)

It is also very possible, and likely, that someone who crossed paths with and got exposed somewhere other than a source country, gets on their flight home, and ends up sick, infecting people on the plane and at the airport.

Again, the ONLY way to contain epidemics like this one is turning into is by erradicating the source of the infections, and I believe that is the first thing the administration, CDC, and WHO did, sending the personnell and supplies/equipment to fight the disease at the source.

As far as non cooperative, is it that or just dumb stupidity ?

We have a nurse in Texas whose knowledge of geography was so poor she did not realize the link between the symptons the guy was showing and the Ebola warnings all over the media.

And we have 3rd world illieterate uneducated people who have no finite grasp for what a virus even is, let alone how lethal this one can be. As a result, they feel fine, and want to go to the store, and slip out to do so.

I would suggest in those cases anyone possibly exposed should be detained at a fully quarantine facility.

We know by treating highly contagious animal diseases, where the animal CANNOT simply travel from A to B, that in order to get the spread of the disease we have to erradicate at the sources. If a flock of chickens test positive for an high path avian influenza, a crew shows up in a matter of hours in their space suit garb, and using a viricide foam shot out of a bazooka like tube, foam the houses with the chickens up to about 3 feet. This suffocates and kills all the chickens while killing all of the viral elements as well.

They are then buried inside the chicken house to be composted, and the house is under a 6 month quarantine.

Sending properly trained medical personnell with all the equipment and supplies they need to cure the patients at ground zero is the only way to stop the spread and prevent a travel related epidemic.

They say the main carriers of Ebola are the fruit bat and monkeys. It doesn't seem to affect them, but humans can get it from them. Since it's not known how those animals get it to become carriers, should there be an effort to start killing off fruit bats and monkeys?

Another problem is people in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone eat these animals because they are more abundant than beef, pork, and chicken. Health authorities in those countries are trying to persuade the people to no longer consume the meat from these animals, many refuse saying it's a tradition going back centuries and it's more available than those we normally eat.

Implementing laws in those countries banning the consumption of those animals would not stop the disease as the laws would be disregarded because of tradition. It doesn't seem to be an easy problem to solve.

pubby

Surepips chicken house solution, I e foam it and kill them all is the equivalent of nuking it all.

Surepips chicken house solution, I e foam it and kill them all is the equivalent of nuking it all.

That is not surepip's solution; it is the chicken industry's solution to viral infections largely because mechanized farming is like one big slum where the presumption is all in infected and even if they survive, their body weights and history make them unsaleable products.

Last time I looked we weren't selling people.

What happens to the little chickens, do they have access to the CDC's expensive pill, to save their life, or are they the ones that become chicken for the Foxes chicken dumplings?

What happens to the little chickens, do they have access to the CDC's expensive pill, to save their life, or are they the ones that become chicken for the Foxes chicken dumplings?

Where would you give out the pills. In foreign countries or in America?

Obama will now be known as President Ebola.

Back in 2005, the CDC presented some proposed guidelines to the GWB administration that would restrict travel and impose involuntary quarantines on incoming international travelers if they presented certain symptoms. There were a number of diseases in those restrictions, including several viral ones, like Ebola.

In 2008 the ACLU objected to the CDC proposals, and in 2010, the Obama administration chose to ignore the proposed guidelines. I repeat, the ACLU objected. And everybody knows just how knowledgeable they are about anything scientific.

So, in the interest of appeasing his left-wing feel-good buddies in the ACLU, B. Hussein Obama opened the door for all this.

• Like 1

Back in 2005, the CDC presented some proposed guidelines to the GWB administration that would restrict travel and impose involuntary quarantines on incoming international travelers if they presented certain symptoms. There were a number of diseases in those restrictions, including several viral ones, like Ebola.

In 2008 the ACLU objected to the CDC proposals, and in 2010, the Obama administration chose to ignore the proposed guidelines. I repeat, the ACLU objected. And everybody knows just how knowledgeable they are about anything scientific.

So, in the interest of appeasing his left-wing feel-good buddies in the ACLU, B. Hussein Obama opened the door for all this.

The real point is that if a person is showing symptoms, they are checked and if they are infected, they are a quarantined already.

State public health law - at least most states - allow for such.

You should check the state law in Georgia. Did you know that violating quarantine is a misdeamenor? Did you know that you have the right in law to appeal a public health order in the civil courts?

Did you know that the police powers of the state are largely lodged at the state level, not the federal level? Obviously you're flip-flopping on your stand in favor of federalism as you speak meaning your presumed strong support for states rights is, well not so strong.

Of course we knew that principals, like most everything else, are touted as such by those who if they were bitten in the butt by one, wouldn't know it.

pubby

PS: These were never rules under Bush, they were proposed, there were comments made and comments came from across the spectrum and I'm pretty sure that there were several entities from CATO to Heritage Federation that also objected on the same grounds the ACLU objected.

pubby

The real point is that if a person is showing symptoms, they are checked and if they are infected, they are a quarantined already.

State public health law - at least most states - allow for such.

You should check the state law in Georgia. Did you know that violating quarantine is a misdeamenor? Did you know that you have the right in law to appeal a public health order in the civil courts?

Did you know that the police powers of the state are largely lodged at the state level, not the federal level? Obviously you're flip-flopping on your stand in favor of federalism as you speak meaning your presumed strong support for states rights is, well not so strong.

Of course we knew that principals, like most everything else, are touted as such by those who if they were bitten in the butt by one, wouldn't know it.

pubby

PS: These were never rules under Bush, they were proposed, there were comments made and comments came from across the spectrum and I'm pretty sure that there were several entities from CATO to Heritage Federation that also objected on the same grounds the ACLU objected.

pubby

All your (alleged) superior knowledge of quarantines is not germane.

If you have ever imported a live animal (I have, several times), you would know that the CDC regulates the health and vaccinations of imported puppies. Not the Ag Department, the CDC.

If the paperwork isn't right, the dog doesn't get off the plane. Even from countries that are known rabies-free (Great Britain and Australia as examples), the puppy has to be given rabies vaccination and wait 30 days before it can come to the USA. Did you know you can't ship a dog into Hawaii without a quarantine? Hawaii, along with all the other islands in the world, are rabies-free. Britain, Australia, Guam, Cuba...whatever, no rabies. But dogs coming into those countries/states have to be vaccinated and possibly quarantined for as long as 6 months.

We can restrict the importation of a domestic pet/show dog, but far be it from all the doo-gooder liberals to inconvenience some African coming from a hotbed of ebola infection and put the American people at risk.

I'm betting the Ebola scare is to cover up something far worse that our Bastard in Chief is getting us into.

I'm betting the Ebola scare is to cover up something far worse that our Bastard in Chief is getting us into.

Or leading up to something worse. <_<

All your (alleged) superior knowledge of quarantines is not germane.

If you have ever imported a live animal (I have, several times), you would know that the CDC regulates the health and vaccinations of imported puppies. Not the Ag Department, the CDC.

If the paperwork isn't right, the dog doesn't get off the plane. Even from countries that are known rabies-free (Great Britain and Australia as examples), the puppy has to be given rabies vaccination and wait 30 days before it can come to the USA. Did you know you can't ship a dog into Hawaii without a quarantine? Hawaii, along with all the other islands in the world, are rabies-free. Britain, Australia, Guam, Cuba...whatever, no rabies. But dogs coming into those countries/states have to be vaccinated and possibly quarantined for as long as 6 months.

We can restrict the importation of a domestic pet/show dog, but far be it from all the doo-gooder liberals to inconvenience some African coming from a hotbed of ebola infection and put the American people at risk.

So they are more worried about animals than the American children. Amazing!!!

That is not surepip's solution; it is the chicken industry's solution to viral infections largely because mechanized farming is like one big slum where the presumption is all in infected and even if they survive, their body weights and history make them unsaleable products.

He was the one that mentioned it as a viable solution to epidemics, I didn't say it was his invention.

The point is that destroying every animal, blasting the area with anti viral agents, composting all the remains and blocking access to the area for a period of time is the equivalent of nuking the place. As far as "presumption is all are infected" that is pretty much what the Liberians did when they fenced off that slum and said no one comes out.

No Pubby, you are wrong on this matter.

#1- we kill the entire flock ASAP to prevent spreading the disease. It can be spread by wild birds, crows, dove, pigeons, etc. taking it from 1 farm to another. Many wild birds can carry the disease ststemically while not actually catching it. Virtually all wild waterfowl have 1 or more strns if AI in their GI tract.

#2 It is very much against the law to even move infected birds let alone to process and sell them.

We have a blood test for AI that shows in 20 minutes if that bird has been exposed to AI. We test all flocks weekly. If a single bird tests positive (they check 15 to 20 birds) then a specific strain test is run that identifies what strain (H1N5? Or ?) and if its low path or high path (how deadly and or how contagious).

#3 The state Ag departments crisis management team is notified if the event, and all available portable lab units are dispatched to the local. Every chicken house with 5 miles is brought up by GPS data and those birds are tested even if they were test a few days earlier.

#4 If its a high path at rail the containment group assembles, dons their gear and foams the house. If low path they may choose to wait until the next morning.

In Georgia, the Ag Department has a release letter from every poultry producer end embodying the state for killing the flock. In essence, giving them permission and worrying about who will pay for it later. And every farmers with chickens has provided the state with a hold harmless agreement (you are talking $50,000 to $100,000).

Just an FYI: a free range independent chicken grower in Delmarva ( he owned tge birds instead of an integrated priducer like Perdue ir Tyson) realized something was wrong with some of his birds. He arranged to take several hundred to a live market near New York to sell them. An inspector at the market suspected something awry and tested them. They tested positive.

By midnight the farmers chickens ( he had several houses) had been depopulated, and all surrounding farms tested. 2 or 3 of the other farms tested positive, and the tests showed they got the disease after the free range farmer. Several houses of those birds were destroyed as well.

The dumbass was convicted and went to jail for knowingly trying to sell the birds and Perdue Farms sued him for the value of their birds since he did not follow the protocol and notify the Ag dept of a suspected disease.

No chicken with Acuan Influenza of any type is processed and sold in the USA.

surepip:

I didn't mean to suggest that infected birds or even birds from an infected flock could be sold. I said they were unsalable property which is on its face true.

That said, this fellow, former general counsel to the SC Republican party, says that those who come down with ebola ought to be summarily executed.

The former general counsel and executive director of the South Carolina Republican Party is coming under fire for the novel solutions to the Ebola epidemic he is posting on Twitter.

The vehemently pro-life Todd Kincannon began by arguing that anyone who contracts Ebola should be summarily executed in a series of tweets reported by Rawstory.

Seems a bit extreme but hey, what good Republican is not?

pubby

Spain is reporting the first case of Ebola contracted outside of Africa. A nurse who treated a Priest who was sent home from Africa last month now has it. This is the way it starts and spreads. Stupid of our government not to stop travel from that country. If it spreads here I for one will not want to hear that they made a mistake and they are sorry.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_SPAIN_EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-06-14-41-22

Spain is reporting the first case of Ebola contracted outside of Africa. A nurse who treated a Priest who was sent home from Africa last month now has it. This is the way it starts and spreads. Stupid of our government not to stop travel from that country. If it spreads here I for one will not want to hear that they made a mistake and they are sorry.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_SPAIN_EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-06-14-41-22

Well, according to Pubby, she must have licked her hands after helping the patient, that's the only way to get it.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

• Like 2

Well, according to Pubby, she must have licked her hands after helping the patient, that's the only way to get it.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I doubt it; never thought of nuns as being that oral ... and I'm a bit surprised you do! However, I suspect she may have been moved by the passing of a child and may have wiped a tear from her eye. Much more likely in that case.

pubby

I doubt it; never thought of nuns as being that oral ... and I'm a bit surprised you do! However, I suspect she may have been moved by the passing of a child and may have wiped a tear from her eye. Much more likely in that case.

pubby

Since you basically called the nurse in Dallas stupid, this one must be stupid as well according to your standards. As a professional nurse she should be washing her hands after treating each patient.

pubby

She was at the hospital in Spain where they brought the Priest but there was no mention of her being a Nun was there? It is easier than you think to get it Pubby. That is becoming clear. I told you months ago that our kids in Paulding could be exposed to the Respiratory Disease the kids coming across the border were bringing. You still don't believe that is how it got here but I think it will be proven down the road. Our kids have no resistance to the strain from El Salvador. It will not be the only one to hit us. It is at this administrations door.

• Like 1

pubby

You are the one that said that was how it was transferred. If you want to back off that statement, then we can have a civil conversation about it.

The people in Spain KNEW the priest was coming. I feel quite sure they were quickly trained and reminded of what to do for a fluid transferred virus.

However, she got it anyway. *viruses change* it may be trying to become an aerosol. You know, evolution, the kingpin of all Democratic Scientific thought. We cannot assume that passing through generation after generation of hosts in Africa that it won't change.

• Like 4

You are the one that said that was how it was transferred. If you want to back off that statement, then we can have a civil conversation about it.

The people in Spain KNEW the priest was coming. I feel quite sure they were quickly trained and reminded of what to do for a fluid transferred virus.

However, she got it anyway. *viruses change* it may be trying to become an aerosol. You know, evolution, the kingpin of all Democratic Scientific thought. We cannot assume that passing through generation after generation of hosts in Africa that it won't change.

I find it very interesting that a few people - including trained medical personnel - have gotten this virus, though they supposedly followed the recommended precautions.

It wouldn't surprise me to (eventually) learn that there is more than one strain of the virus out there now.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell has it nailed. Who is Obama really looking out for?

http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/obamas-priority-not-protecting-americans/

The erosion of constitutional government over the years has become, under the Obama administration, a deluge of arbitrary edicts and defiant lawlessness protected by a grossly politicized Department of Justice.

It may be time to consider reorganizing the institutions of government, so that high officials who try to reassure the public about medical crises are not officials who serve “at the pleasure of the president.” Nor should the attorney general, whose duty is to enforce the laws, be part of an administration whose law-breakers the Justice Department can protect from prosecution.

I did say that would be a great way for it to be transferred. I think the doctor who survived it (treated in Atlanta) also said that he felt safer in the ward in Liberia than he did in the ER because proper procedures were not in place when it is virulent in the community and someone sick just shows up.

The use of the term nun instead of nurse was based in part on the fact the person being treated was a priest and it was a Catholic Hospital in Spain. The infected woman was a nurse.

The protocols for avoiding infection have a great deal to do with following them precisely. I made a comment in another thread how those who were 'overconfident' ... i.e. likely to volunteer ... may start with a feeling of invulnerability and make a simple mistake when disrobing from the protective clothing. Taking off one glove with the bare hand of another and rubbing your eye before washing to having disinfectant applied is one possible route of infection.

What I do absolutely know is that the incentive for doing things right is there and death or severe illness is the option. Mankind has dealt with highly contagious agents in the past and done so with much greater loss of life than is likely in this case.

We will get through this.

I did run across an interesting article about small pox, though. This was from the time before the cowpox vaccine was discovered.

Seems, flying in the face of the laws of the colonies and against the orders of the Continental Congress, Washington ordered the innoculation - the veritable planned infection of his army, with smallpox using a technique where the pox was introduced to the arm causing the men to become ill for up to three weeks. There was risk and the period 1775-178? was a time of an epidemic in the US. Smallpox, infections that started through the mouth, eyes or nose could result in death in one-third of cases. However, the technique for inoculation resulted in less than a one-percent death rate ... or 100 men dead in an army of 10,000.

Bottom line, the decision to do so gave confidence to the men who survived - 99 percent - and the army was kept together and the revolution won.

People die. You will die. More people will die of this. I have full confidence that what we are doing to combat this disease at this time is the best course to minimize those numbers.

You are welcome to disagree, but then I don't suspect a one of you would have ordered the inoculation of Washington's Continental army with an unproven process based on the best understanding of medical science at the time. Why? Because like the Continental Congress and the colonial legislatures, the idea of actually infecting everyone in the army with small pox would horrify you, especially when you knew, as Washington knew, that some percentage - he didn't know how many, he just knew he had survived it - would DIE!

pubby