Paulding.com

been "rolling coal" lately?

according to the news article:

""Rolling coal" is very similar to bullying, only in automotive form. It involves taking a big diesel truck, and modifying it to spew huge clouds of soot into the air every time the driver stomps on the accelerator. More recently, drivers of such vehicles have taken to doing it near hybrids, electric cars, cyclists, pedestrians and even the police--to intimidate or simply to make some kind of statement.

And after experiencing coal-rolling first-hand, one New Jersey lawmaker is working to make the practice illegal in his state."

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/could-rolling-coal-become-illegal-nj-downside-diesel-123450102.html

------ since there is so much of it going on in this area, i would imagine it won't be long before there are changes 'round here too

Since a diesel will blow clouds of dark smoke anytime the engine is overloaded without any modifications, be kinda hard to prove intent. I predict very few convictions on this unless they make exhaust mods illegal and I thought they already were illegal by EPA rule.

Typical knee-jerk lawmaker reaction that new laws can fix everything.

• Like 5

Since a diesel will blow clouds of dark smoke anytime the engine is overloaded without any modifications, be kinda hard to prove intent. I predict very few convictions on this unless they make exhaust mods illegal and I thought they already were illegal by EPA rule.

You are correct. Sometimes it doesn't take much engine load either. I got my old Cummins out for a little while Saturday and evidently sitting in the garage will cause it to blow a lot of black smoke when you start off.

But I will admit to dusting a bicyclist from time to time. But only after I have passed them cautiously once and they blow by me on the right side when I am stopped for a traffic light.

I agree, it's silly to try to make a law against it, but newer modern diesels do not billow the smoke like the newer ones do.

Billowing black smoke from a diesel is nothing more than it running rich (too much fuel).

In stock form, a newer model diesel, with electronic fuel injection and a catalyst in the exhaust system,

they don't put out any more black smoke than a gasoline burner.

Where it becomes a problem is when people buy the aftermarket chips and are upgraded injectors and turbo units and

have the 'instant tuner' capabilities right on the dashboard. With a couple of button pushes, you can richen up the fuel mixture,

and when not under a heavy load, there is not enough heat to burn the fuel efficiently... therefore you get the billowing smoke, when you lay in to the throttle. ...and most of the time, when people get a face full of black smoke, they deserve it.

Edited by NITR0

Sounds like there are some pretty immature individuals on the highway these days. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, rnc, ignoring bullies is like accepting their reckless disregard for normal behavior.

These people sometimes stop at a truck stop, somewhere. You can confront them in a way that asserts your feelings of being bullied.

Proverbs 26:4 - Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Answer not means, to me, that you just go on down the road and ignore what the fool did.