Paulding.com

10 MOST CORRUPT STATES IN THE US

I must say, I was surprised by some that weren't on the list, and some there were on the list.

Click HERE for the list https://homes.yahoo.com/photos/gallery-america-s-most-corrupt-states-1407469336-slideshow/

From YAHOO

The most corrupt states in America

MainStreet
By Robert McGarvey
August 7, 2014 11:32 PM

Don't think public corruption is the sole province of down-at-the-heels nations such as Somalia, the poorest performer in Transparency International's index of perceived corruption in 176 countries.

The United States doesn't land in the top 10 cleanest countries. It barely lands in the top 20. Among the 18 countries perceived as less corrupt are Japan, Barbados, Iceland and Singapore.

There is corruption in America; the question is where.

A recent report provides an answer. An academic at the University of Hong Kong and another at Indiana University set out to rank the states by level of corruption, combing arrest and conviction records for public officials.

New Jersey, a state well known for corruption at the highest levels (the late 1970s Abscam scandal, for instance, sent a sitting U.S. senator to jail, along with a member of the House, members of the Legislature and a few mayors), does not crack the top 10 most corrupt states.

New York doesn't either, even though corruption in its largest city was so widespread that the 1970 Knapp Commission found that seemingly every cop patroled his beat with his palm out and grasping. (The scandal became the 1973 movie "Serpico.")

Things change. They may get better.

But in some states, public officials who extend their hands aren't looking to shake; they're looking for a fast Jackson.

source https://homes.yahoo.com/news/the-most-corrupt-states-in-america-033250358.html

• Like 1

Having Tennessee on the list does not surprise me. I have a very good friend who lives in Knoxville and he says that almost weekly some politician has been arrested for something.

I did like the comment it made about Florida and building inspectors. Real estate agents are pretty shady here, too. Probably shadier than inspectors or bogus speed traps. I know a boatload of them and don't trust a one. Still, at least we aren't in Georgia or Alabama. 8P

I am surprised. Where does Georgia rank?

Georgia must have improved in the last couple years, according to lowrider's study, mojo, but I fail to see where

In 2012, Georgia officials dismissed their rank as a biased hit job. Maybe they were successful in proving that it was indeed a biased hit job.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV0kqwOdT70gAKAxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ODNyMGtrBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTAEY29sbwNiZjEEdnRpZANWSVA0NzVfMQ--/RV=2/RE=1407725739/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ajc.com%2fnews%2fnews%2fstate-regional-govt-politics%2fgeorgia-last-in-public-corruption-laws%2fnQSJr%2f/RK=0/RS=vSO9G7bfBbzXsJ.wrKN3B38mOSw-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2011 FBI team forms new squad to take aim at legislative and judicial corruption in Georgia

ATLANTA — The FBI has assembled a new squad to investigate corruption among judges and legislators in Georgia, though the top federal agent in the state is being tightlipped about what cases are developing.

Brian Lamkin, who heads the FBI office in Georgia, told The Associated Press he decided to form the team after months of reviews and a look at the bureau’s long-term priorities.

Georgia’s FBI office has long used a single squad that handled the brunt of corruption cases, from law enforcement officials to government officials. But Lamkin set up a special team to look into wrongdoing by police and other law enforcement officers and landed string of recent corruption charges. That team will still check out officers while the second new corruption squad will have a different goal, he said.

“It impacts the everyday system. It’s not just a dirty law enforcement officer that might be shaking you down,” he said. “You’re talking about people that you elect to an office to represent you who try to line their pockets.”

Lamkin will personally sign off on the investigations before they go forward, and high-profile cases will be approved by FBI officials in Washington, he said.

“The reason is a corruption investigation can ruin reputations,” he said. “These are not quick hits. We will use sophisticated techniques and undercover operations to really go after these. That’s why the individuals that work these have to be patient.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above 2011 FBI team may be quietly responsible for recent whistleblower findings that reach all the way to the Attorney General's office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Georgia must have, certainly, improved sense 2012.

Edited by The Postman

Not so. Your post maybe but not the one that the OP posted. Things have changed since 2012.

Most definitely, S & D's N! I can see that.

That FBI team has been busy, in the past couple of years; have they not?

Things have been coming out about public corruption, and the tax payers are paying out millions. But, it will be worth it in the long run.

Edited by The Postman

A recent report provides an answer. An academic at the University of Hong Kong and another at Indiana University set out to rank the states by level of corruption, combing arrest and conviction records for public officials.

It sounds like states that allow public corruption to pass without arresting / conviction those involved get a pass on the report, and those states that don't put up with it, specifically targeting corruption will be more likely to be listed.

• Like 1

Check this out: http://bit.ly/KGnvtV

The latest news is kind of misleading, because Deal is doing everything he can to change whistleblower laws, so public corruption cannot be reported by state employees.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVxPZ5OdTJCcAA.pXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzaTQ5bDRoBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ3NV8x/RV=2/RE=1407735130/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fpolitics.blog.ajc.com%2f2014%2f05%2f27%2fgov-nathan-deal-questions-who-should-qualify-as-whistleblower-after-ethics-case%2f/RK=0/RS=34GMIHTiwH0Pz02mCG4MJ7RZ_ZA-

Edited by The Postman

What the heck, I'm shocked about Florida, North Dakota, and Alaska. What SHOULD have been on that list was New Jersey without a doubt. Seriously!! New York is getting cleaned up, slowly, but it's happening. New Jersey will never change.

• Like 1

It sounds like states that allow public corruption to pass without arresting / conviction those involved get a pass on the report, and those states that don't put up with it, specifically targeting corruption will be more likely to be listed.

You are exactly right, markdavd!

This could mean that Mississippi simply doesn't put up with corruption, and has a policy of arresting and convicting the highest number of corrupted officials.

What the heck, I'm shocked about Florida, North Dakota, and Alaska. What SHOULD have been on that list was New Jersey without a doubt. Seriously!! New York is getting cleaned up, slowly, but it's happening. New Jersey will never change.

The study is based on arrests and convictions. In other words the states that put cleaning up corruption as a priority will top the list. The states that allow corruption to run ramped will be at the bottom of the list.

You are exactly right, markdavd!

This could mean that Mississippi simply doesn't put up with corruption, and has a policy of arresting and convicting the highest number of corrupted officials.

Only the feeble minded would realize the states worst in corruption would be at the bottom of the list.

The study is based on arrests and convictions. In other words the states that put cleaning up corruption as a priority will top the list. The states that allow corruption to run ramped will be at the bottom of the list.

Only the feeble minded would realize the states worst in corruption would be at the bottom of the list.

Sorry, I think it's more that the people that were convicted are just dumber. Or they were sold out by more corruption.

Sorry, I think it's more that the people that were convicted are just dumber. Or they were sold out by more corruption.

Look at the situation, here in Georgia, rockysmom, where Governor Deal is working hard on deluding the whistleblower protection law. He doesn't want law suits against corruption to be filed because of protection, by the whistle blower protection laws.against retaliation He does not want state employees to be able to blow the whistle on public corruption.

Edited by The Postman