Paulding.com

How do you feel about the recent incident on the trail

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, there's a great idea for SCT patrol - get a bunch of pissy, middle-aged, perimenopausal women to form an armed patrol, and let's see how bold these evil-doers are.

I took a close friend that is new to the area my pepper spray yesterday and will replace mine. Her husband wants her to get her carry and conceal permit. Though, I will tell you (and I told her) she

I don't look at it as fear, but more as a duty of keeping my family safe. More of a job. Like checking the tire pressure on the cars, changing batteries in the smoke detectors, etc. just the things

Does it change your views about being armed? And not just guns, but any other method?

It doesn't change mine, I always thought you should be able to arm yourself on the trail. Are the criminals not going to carry a weapon on the trail? Of course they are, they're criminals. And what better hunting ground than a place you know that people can't have guns, like a college campus or a secluded trail?

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 2

I think any law abiding citizen should have the right to protect themselves...But I also feel they need to be trained in how to use a weapon. If you just go out and get a permit to carry and you don't know how to use it then it is dangerous to you in that it may be used against you. I mean if you ever are forced to use a gun make sure you know how and don't be a Barney Fife

Edited by OSU
  • Like 4

I don`t use the trail,but,if I did,I would be armed.I have friends who use the trail while armed.To heck with the signs.Not only should one be armed,but also be vigilant,and know when and how to use your weapon.We use armed people to guard MONEY.Why not humans?

• Like 1

I have no problem with carrying a weapon, but I'm not sure a gun is the answer on this one because I suspect he came up from behind her. If you walk with earbuds in (like a lot of people do) I don't think you could get the gun out fast enough. You wouldn't even know they were there until you were struck. A good self defense course may be the better option for this type of assault?

• Like 2

I would have no problem walking the trail by myself, but then I am an overweight, older man.

Not a prime target for anything. :(

If I was a female, I would still use the trail, but I would always try to use it with another person and not by myself.

I also agree with some type of weapon, mace, stick, gun, whatever works for you.

I thought the new gun law now allows carrying in parks unless it is a national park? So we cannot carry in county or state parks?

As far as answering the question about whether the trail incident has changed my view on carrying a firearm, no it hasn't as I have carried a firearm and a 3-in-1 pocket size defense spray for many years. I grew up in Paulding, as did several generations of my family. However, I have never once been on the trail because of the danger. I do appreciate it's beauty in the photos I have seen and it would be nice to experience it for myself, but I won't take that risk. It will need to be better patrolled before I will get on it myself. The past couple of years I have started to really hate the rate of crime I have seen in my home county. It saddens me immensely.

Edited by MsGaStorm

Well if course it's upsetting to hear of an incident such as this one. And it doesn't change my views on being armed, it only reaffirms them. There are still questions to go along with this scenario, like even she was armed would it have helped her or even prevented the attack? If it is a surprise attack or someone coming from behind then it makes you wonder if any type of weapon would do any good. Those 'what-if' questions are not going to prevent me from being armed though. If I were ever caught in a situation like that and I had a moment to be able to get to my weapon and use it then I sure am going to be grateful that I chose to be armed rather than not. Like the saying goes "It's better to have a gun and not need rather than to need a gun and not have it."

And like I said in the other thread, I would not choose to walk on that trail alone. I would have to be accompanied either by my husband or my good friend Walther.

• Like 2

Of course you first have to assume everyone with a gun permit is a sane, responsible, well intentioned, trained in the use of firearms individual which is far from reality.

Can you produce any statistics that show a ratio of homicides by people with gun permits to those who committed murders and didn't have a gun permit?

I found this interesting article from Huffpo. Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, but yet 80 people over one weekend were shot. Gun control is real effective in stopping gun violence isn't CC?

More than 80 people were shot, 16 fatally, over the Fourth of July holiday weekend -- the bloodiest weekend of 2014. In the two weekends that followed, a total of 76 people were shot, eight fatally.

I thought the new gun law now allows carrying in parks unless it is a national park? So we cannot carry in county or state parks?

As far as answering the question about whether the trail incident has changed my view on carrying a firearm, no it hasn't as I have carried a firearm and a 3-in-1 pocket size defense spray for many years. I grew up in Paulding, as did several generations of my family. However, I have never once been on the trail because of the danger. I do appreciate it's beauty in the photos I have seen and it would be nice to experience it for myself, but I won't take that risk. It will need to be better patrolled before I will get on it myself. The past couple of years I have started to really hate the rate of crime I have seen in my home county. It saddens me immensely.

If you find anything about the gun law - please post it. I did a brief Google search and couldn't find the newest version of the law.

As for the original question - it hasn't changed my views. I don't have a problem with people carrying guns as long as they know how to use them. I do think it would be hard to react and draw a gun if you were ambushed on the trail though. I'm not even sure one could quickly access defense spray. I may, however, look into one of those defense sticks. Seems like that would be easy to use if you were already holding it in your hand - even if you got knocked to the ground.

Can you produce any statistics that show a ratio of homicides by people with gun permits to those who committed murders and didn't have a gun permit?

I take it you are against background checks and any requirements that a permit holder be trained how to use a firearm. People with mental issues, arrest records (other than felony convictions) and a history of violence should be granted a carry permit ? Because that seems to be the point you're making.

I take it you are against background checks and any requirements that a permit holder be trained how to use a firearm. People with mental issues, arrest records (other than felony convictions) and a history of violence should be granted a carry permit ? Because that seems to be the point you're making.

I have no problem with background checks to ensure those who have been convicted of crimes are prevented from buying guns and getting carry permits. I also believe every lawful gun owner should be responsible enough to take a firearms class that covers the law, gun safety, and how to properly shoot a gun. As far as the point you thought I was making; once again you're wrong. You really need to quit making assumptions.

• Like 1

I have no problem with background checks to ensure those who have been convicted of crimes are prevented from buying guns and getting carry permits. I also believe every lawful gun owner should be responsible enough to take a firearms class that covers the law, gun safety, and how to properly shoot a gun. As far as the point you thought I was making; once again you're wrong. You really need to quit making assumptions.

Then what part of my statement did you have issue with ?

I began carrying pepper spray when my grown daughter was accosted in broad daylight in downtown Austell, virtually within sight of the police station. She also started carrying pepper spray at that same time. I carried mine in a few times when I went on interviews, depending on where the business was located. My daughter continued to carry hers as long as they lived in Austell as she frequently walked and/or jogged.

My husband would not agree to me walking on the Silver Comet alone and did not want me riding a bike if I couldn't keep up with him. When he was riding his bike all the time he would have me drop him off and then call me so I would get there about two or three minutes before he did, so I would not be sitting in the parking lot alone.

The Silver Comet Trail is unfortunately an unsafe place for a female who is alone. In fact, it is unsafe for anyone who is alone, male or female.

I hope the person attacked yesterday makes a full recovery and somehow retained enough evidence that her attacker is found and prosecuted. I hate to hear about another attack. The trail is a beautiful place to be.

I don`t use the trail,but,if I did,I would be armed.I have friends who use the trail while armed.To heck with the signs.Not only should one be armed,but also be vigilant,and know when and how to use your weapon.We use armed people to guard MONEY.Why not humans?

That says it all!

• Like 1

Of course you first have to assume everyone with a gun permit is a sane, responsible, well intentioned, trained in the use of firearms individual which is far from reality.

Ah, they generally are. It's the criminals, the ones WITHOUT the permits who are insane, irresponsible, have bad intentions and have no freakin' clue how to use a firearm (or why).

I don't know about all states, but I can tell you from personal experience that it is NOT easy to get a carry permit in Florida. It's expensive and it's time consuming. Here, you don't just show up at the courthouse, pay your $75 and fill out an index card size application.

Ah, they generally are. It's the criminals, the ones WITHOUT the permits who are insane, irresponsible, have bad intentions and have no freakin' clue how to use a firearm (or why).

I don't know about all states, but I can tell you from personal experience that it is NOT easy to get a carry permit in Florida. It's expensive and it's time consuming. Here, you don't just show up at the courthouse, pay your $75 and fill out an index card size application.

It sounds like Florida is taking the sensible approach that is not however the norm, in fact filling out a short form and paying your fee is all that is required in most states. And if the NRA has their way it will only get worse. In fact the NRA is actively lobbying to have convicted felons be given the right to a buy and carry a firearm.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/felons.htm

We assume the same thing when one purchases a car.Doesn`t always work.

We assume the same thing when one purchases a car.Doesn`t always work.

Actually, we do require a driving test to get a license, observe those who do poorly, revoke the license of those who really don't learn from their early mistakes and ultimately put them in jail if they don't get the message even without injuring or killing someone.

We don't have any kind of test - I'm not sure they even require you be warm - to buy a gun ... just have an ID and not be on a list of criminals or lunatics (well sort of, some of the time depending on how you get your gun.)

pubby

Actually, we do require a driving test to get a license, observe those who do poorly, revoke the license of those who really don't learn from their early mistakes and ultimately put them in jail if they don't get the message even without injuring or killing someone.

We don't have any kind of test - I'm not sure they even require you be warm - to buy a gun ... just have an ID and not be on a list of criminals or lunatics (well sort of, some of the time depending on how you get your gun.)

pubby

Yet at the same time, we let people run around having baby after baby without having to have take monetary care of them.

If fact, we reward them.

Out of the two, I worry more about the drain on our money by these baby factories, of both sexes.

Yet at the same time, we let people run around having baby after baby without having to have take monetary care of them.

If fact, we reward them.

Out of the two, I worry more about the drain on our money by these baby factories, of both sexes.

Which are you in favor of forced aboortzions or letting the children starve to prove a point ?

• Like 1

It sounds like Florida is taking the sensible approach that is not however the norm, in fact filling out a short form and paying your fee is all that is required in most states. And if the NRA has their way it will only get worse. In fact the NRA is actively lobbying to have convicted felons be given the right to a buy and carry a firearm.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/felons.htm

29 states require some form of training before issuing carry permits. Since 29 is more than half of 50, sounds like that might be more the norm than no training being required.

Many convicted felons already are buying and carrying firearms. They don't do it legally but then again, since they are CONVICTED FELONS why would anyone expect them to obey the law?

If fact, we reward them.

I see your concerns and mine coinciding on this issue ... the confluence coming from the fact we both know that this failure is in at least part a failure of our educational system. That failure, especially when it comes to the dropping of multiple babies, comes at least in part from parents whose sensibilities are such that they insist only on abstention as the form of birth control of anyone who isn't married.

I dare say we'd both agree that education, or more specifically the lack thereof, is mostly responsible for the irresponsible behaviors.

pubby

I see your concerns and mine coinciding on this issue ... the confluence coming from the fact we both know that this failure is in at least part a failure of our educational system. That failure, especially when it comes to the dropping of multiple babies, comes at least in part from parents whose sensibilities are such that they insist only on abstention as the form of birth control of anyone who isn't married.

I dare say we'd both agree that education, or more specifically the lack thereof, is mostly responsible for the irresponsible behaviors.

pubby

Are you advocating that they teach sex education in school? Heavens knows if people understood where babies come from, they might actually stop before they get to 16.

BTW, isn't there a limit to how many children you can have and still get full support for all of them from the government? I thought I read that the limit was 5. Maybe I dreamed it.

Does it change your views about being armed? And not just guns, but any other method?

Not mine. If I have my clothes on, I'm packing. If I don't have my clothes on I have a gun or two within reach.

• Like 2

Which are you in favor of forced aboortzions or letting the children starve to prove a point ?

We spay and neuter our animals because they can't control their basic instincts.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

I'd rather be alive and face a jury than six foot under.

Exactamundo. As the saying goes, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Another great saying is when seconds count, police are only moments away.

The Silver Comet Trail is unfortunately an unsafe place for a female who is alone. In fact, it is unsafe for anyone who is alone, male or female.

Again, exactamundo. As I said before (here or on the other thread), the bike lady had her pepper spray and cell phone with her and the chick kidnapped in the mtns and murdered was some sort of belt in judo and had a dog with her. If you are ambushed or overpowered, it doesn't make what sort of weapons you have on you.

As momof 3 and I are fond of saying, IT ONLY TAKES ONE TIME. So, in answer to the original question - no, it does not change my mind about carrying firearms, nor does it change my mind about walking alone in deserted places.

You must have ticked off a lot of people ?

So you are insinuating that the lady that was attacked on the trail had "ticked off" her attacker?

You are Democrat to the point of being stupid.

When we are forced to live with sub-humans that have no regard for life, I just feel it my duty to assure them that I think less of their sorry-ass life than they do of mine. I have .45 reasons you shouldn't TRUCK with me.

• Like 2

I took a close friend that is new to the area my pepper spray yesterday and will replace mine. Her husband wants her to get her carry and conceal permit. Though, I will tell you (and I told her) she gives off a serious aura of don't F**k with me.

She also told me about this - http://flipbelt.com/ - that she uses when running for her little things. I hate carrying my pepper spray because I have to carry it. I may look into getting one of these.

And, as a woman - s**t like this just ticks me off. There are times when I just want to be alone. Alone with loud music in my head and no one to bother me. I don't want the phone with me in case someone needs me. I want to be alone. And, J****SSes like this try to take this away from me. And, I won't let him.

I almost think that we need to have start MORE use of the comet trail just so people can use it. Trash shouldn't be able to take away our time in nature to think and be alone. OH, I'm so ticked about this.

• Like 6

Hubby and I walk 4 miles every morning on the Silver Comet. We see alot of women walkiing alone with earbuds on and listening to music. It really sucks but you shouldn't do this. You need to be aware of everything around you. I'm constantly looking behind us when we walk to make sure no one is sneaking up on us. We try to pick areas to walk that are pretty populated, too.

As an equestrian who boards alone at a private farm right off the SCT, 99% of the time I am riding alone on it. HOWEVER, I have made myself familiar with several "cut thru's" that, unless you know where they are and where they come out, you'd never see 'em. My horse also knows them.

I ride with defensive awareness. I don't wear earbuds. If I want music, I sing.

If I see anyone that gives me the creeps, I'll turn around, head up into the wooded trail running parallel or nudge my mare into a faster gait. My mare is also very "people" aware. We can be walking along and suddenly her head & ears will go straight up at a "somebody." I listen to her and take appropriate measures.

I've also taken a Trail Rider Defense Course. I don't carry a weapon because my horse is not weapons desensitized. I don't carry a crop or dressage whip, because that would give any attacker something to grab and pull me off my horse. I use my mare as my weapon. She's a big Clyde-X and can be very imposing.

USE COMMON SENSE - LISTEN TO YOUR INNER RADAR. No matter how small that niggling feeling you get, from even just going out on the SCT to walk, run, etc. or as you go on down the trail, if it goes off, turn around and go home. Make yourself familiar with some of the cut-thru's - No homeowner in their right mind would have a problem with you trespassing to get away from Creepy Person.

• Like 4

I ride this trail about twice a week and pass this area where this happened. I had a recent scare when my granddaughter and i (she's 11) were riding our bikes but were walking them at this area as the sun was very hot and it had started to drizzel rain. This heavy set man was on the trail and stopped walking when he saw us. I immediatly went into danger mode as it looked to me he had an area set up for bad news. He was wearing jeans, tennis shoes, a hat and white t shirt with a blue jean jacket. Its 92 degrees out. I told my granddaughter that the next biker that passed us we were gonna stay with him till we passed this dude. Still wander if this dude was for real since his dress wasn't for the trail. I usually carry a knife on the trail but from now on i deffinately will be carrying my 9mm also.

I wander if cameras from above could be installed and monitored would work. I mean why have this trail if we cant use it.

Edited by cheryl37

I will start by saying I do not blame the victim by any means. This is the work of a predator and if he is not caught he will strike again. However a woman walking alone in a secluded area is not that smart of a thing to do. We all want to live in the "Mayberry" world of our perceived past where everyone is nice and everyone is your neighbor. Unfortunately that is not the world of today. If you are going to use the Comet Trail do not go alone, carry a cell phone, pack a weapon (preferably one made famous by Sam Colt but at least pepper spray)and carry an audible alarm such as a loud whistle. Another possibly more important tactic is vote for judges (and hold them to it) who are not limp wristed wimps when it comes to prosecuting criminals. Call me conservative, heartless, wacko, judgmental, prejudice or anything you want but I have zero sympathy for a criminal. What in the hell makes their sorry ass life any more valuable than the victims? If you sent all the defense lawyers to their maker today there would be law suits from hell by morning. I detest the blatant abuse of criminal law by liberal judges, law makers and lawyers. They are to blame for the situation we are in concerning repeat offenders and the lack of incarceration being a real determent to career criminals.

• Like 1