Paulding.com

Ebola outbreak in Africa

I became extremely annoyed yesterday when a news station reported that doctors were being educated on what symptoms to watch for with Ebola.

Lyme disease is on it's way to being an epidemic in this country.

Between lack of requiring doctors to report the suspected Lyme disease they are treating and the thousands of existing mis- diagnosed patients the numbers are scary.

They have proof of it being sexually transmitted and passed on to unborn children.

They are finding a new group of mis-diagnosed Alzheimer and dementia patients are now

joining the ranks of MS.,Rheumatoid arthritis, and fybromyalgia patients that do not respond to treatments.

The CDC needs to have a good house cleaning.

Based on their past performance, God help us if Ebola makes it here.

I wouldn't have been annoyed. You know as well as I that every hypochondriac in the country is going to come in and demand that they be treated for ebola ... and the doctors really haven't got any understanding of the disease and it how to recognize it because it hasn't presented itself here at all.

I know that is frustrating especially when you have an affliction that is continuing to cause you concerns, pain and suffering and yet seems to be largely ignored by doctors throughout the region.

A key organizer like you LPPT, ought to be about finding ways to encourage those in the medical field to take lymes more seriously including but not limited to actions recognizing excellence and even a web site to talk about those who excel in their understanding, research and interest in patients.

pubby

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya know? This is at least the third time you have made some snide comment about me being impaired because of lead poisoning. I think you have pushed the envelope far enough. Once, it might have

That's it! I'm done with exercising and eating healthy, we're doomed anyway. Time for chocolate cake and alcohol!

Damn, talk about chicken little running around hiding under the tables.   OK, back up a bit.   Locally we have the CDC facility. State of the Art, even with the miles on it, with a top notch staf

Guy who died in Nigeria was planning on returning home to the USA within days.

He was from Coon Rapids, Minnesota.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10998222/Ebola-outbreak-Victim-who-sparked-fears-of-global-epidemic-was-on-way-home-to-US.html

An Ebola victim who was allowed to board an international flight was an American citizen on his way home to the United States, it has emerged.

Patrick Sawyer worked for the Liberian government and was visiting his sister there when he developed symptoms while on a plane to Nigeria. He was quarantined on arrival in Lagos and died on Friday.

His wife, Decontee, 34, who like Mr Sawyer is originally from Liberia, currently at the heart of the terrifying Ebola outbreak, said he had been due to travel on to America where he could have become Patient Zero in a US epidemic.

The 40-year-old father-of-three is believed to have contracted the disease from his sister, whom he was caring for without knowing she had Ebola.

Mr Sawyer took two flights to get to Nigeria from Liberia, where he had attended his sister's funeral. The first took him from Monrovia to Lome in Togo, where he boarded a plane to Lagos. He collapsed at the airport on landing.

The Nigerian authorities have closed the hospital he was treated at, First Consultants Hospital in Obalende, one of the busiest parts of the city with a population of around 21 million.

Manifests of the passengers and crew who travelled on the same flights as Mr Sawyer have yet to be released

His job involved promoting trade in West Africa and he was on his way to a conference in Lagos from where he planned to travel back to the US when he fell ill with vomiting and diarrhea.

Fellow passengers on his plane were given warnings about the disease’s symptoms, which can include bleeding from the nose and mouth, but were allowed to continue on their journeys.

As Ebola has an incubation period of up to 21 days, there are fears that some may even now be spreading the disease still further.

< SNIP>

The couple, who lived in the town of Coon Rapids, Minnesota, married there in 2008. She came to America in 1991 while he moved over in the early 2000s, and both had become US citizens.

I just heard on the news they're pulling out all volunteers.

And this from Yahoo: And yes, this is real, I've been watching it for several months and they're just now taking it seriously

World Ebola fears grow with Europe and Asia on alert

AFP
By Robin Millard
2 hours ago

Fears that the west African Ebola outbreak could spread to other continents grew on Wednesday with European and Asian countries on alert and a leading medical charity warning the epidemic was out of control.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said the crisis gripping Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone would only get worse and warned there was no overarching strategy to handle the world's worst outbreak of the disease.

The US Peace Corps announced it was pulling hundreds of volunteers from the three countries.

And another US group, Christian charity Samaritan's Purse, was also temporarily withdrawing its non-essential staff from Liberia, citing regional "instability and ongoing security issues".

Hong Kong announced quarantine measures for suspected cases, although one woman arriving from Africa with possible symptoms tested negative, while the EU said it was ready to deal with the threat.

Rest of the story http://news.yahoo.com/uk-holds-emergency-talks-growing-ebola-threat-084704564.html

I'm ready to go. I've heard you are a dead person if you get it So, at my age I figure I'm a dead man, if it comes here.

Is it painful?

Ebola is haemorrhagic fever

You bleed internally and from your mouth and nose and probably every opening in your body. I would say yes.

I also heard it's not transmitted by air, and you actually have to be in contact with a person who has it, or contact the body fluid by someone who has it.

I'm not body fluid active, and wash my hands regularly.

Edited by The Postman

Ebola is haemorrhagic fever

You bleed internally and from your mouth and nose and probably every opening in your body. I would say yes.

Actually, it is more horror inspiring - blood coming from the nose, mouth, eyes, anus, etc. - than painful. I say that because when I had that incident with internal bleeding two years ago in regard to a colonoscopy - it put me in the hospital for like three or four days - there wasn't really any pain when I started getting faint ... and hey, the colors were really weird.

As far as ebola... it was here thirty years ago in Reston Va.

Killed a lot of monkeys but there was a slight mutation of the virus here and while it made some folks ill, it wasn't devastating to humans. Read about this outbreak here:

pubby

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/

Emory University Hospital is expected to receive a patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus within the next several days, the university announced Thursday.

It’s unclear when exactly the patient will arrive, according to a statement from Emory. The Clifton Road hospital has a specially built isolation unit to treat patients exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. Set up in collaboration with the Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the unit is physically separate from other patient areas and is one of only four such facilities in the country.

Who hoo, I wish we had a commercial airport so we too could send planes to Africa to pick up victims of a deadly disease and bring them here. NOT!

Damn, that airport is 3 miles from my house. Wonder who gets the privilege of cleaning it up after the flights? One of the local workers?

I'd prefer they burn the freaking plane. No way in heck would I want to fly on it, no matter how well they claim to have cleaned it.

Wonder if they will ever charter it again?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html

A U.S.-contracted medical charter flight left Cartersville, Georgia, Thursday to evacuate two American charity workers in Liberia infected with Ebola hemorrhagic fever, a source told CNN.

A CNN crew saw the airplane, a long-range business jet, depart shortly after 5 p.m. ET. The plane matched the description provided by the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

It was not immediately known when the two Americans -- identified as Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol -- would arrive in the United States, or where the plane would land.

At least one of the two will be taken to a hospital at Emory University, near the headquarters of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, hospital officials told CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Brantly and Writebol are described in stable but grave condition, with both reportedly taking a turn for the worse overnight, according to statements released Thursday by the faith-based charity Samaritan's Purse.

Actually, it is more horror inspiring - blood coming from the nose, mouth, eyes, anus, etc. - than painful. I say that because when I had that incident with internal bleeding two years ago in regard to a colonoscopy - it put me in the hospital for like three or four days - there wasn't really any pain when I started getting faint ... and hey, the colors were really weird.

As far as ebola... it was here thirty years ago in Reston Va.

Killed a lot of monkeys but there was a slight mutation of the virus here and while it made some folks ill, it wasn't devastating to humans. Read about this outbreak here:

pubby

Somehow I just don't think the two are the same.............

Ebola virus disease (EVD) or Ebola hemorrhagic fever (EHF) is the human disease caused by the ebola virus. Symptoms typically start two days to three weeks after contracting the virus, with a fever, throat and muscle pains, and headaches. There is then typically nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, along with decreased functioning of the liver and kidneys. At this point, some people begin to have problems with bleeding.[1]

They are flying two patients to Emory who have it. What are they thinking?

I heard that on the news tonight. I guess they want the challenge to see if their "special" containment works................

I heard that on the news tonight. I guess they want the challenge to see if their "special" containment works................

No way would I let them expose my family and the rest of America to that if it were me.

The news is on now and someone from Emory says the chance of this getting out to the general public is minimal..............

Wow, I feel better.

NOT!

Ya, I don't care what Emory says...I know what this disease is capable of and exactly what it does. I don't trust emory further than I can throw them and I can't throw anything very far right now.

How well do you trust the guys cleaning the plane in cartersville?!?

I'm sure they will probably transport them from the plane to Emory by ambulance. Who will clean that and can it be guaranteed nobody will be infected later in that ambulance? What the air crew and the medical personnel on the plane and then the ambulance personnel, not to mention all the personnel at Emory who come in contact with the patients and then all the people who come into contact with those personnel afterward?

• Like 1

OK, a lot of peeps here I really like are among those freaking out over this. Ambulances transport people with communicable diseases all the time. Ebola ia not easily transmittable - YOU CAN ONLY CATCH IT THROUGH THE EXCHANGE OF BODILY FLUIDS OR EATING THE IMPROPERLY-COOKED MEAT OF AN INFECTED ANIMAL.

Now, considering that we do not drink the blood of our dead, nor eat bat soup, as is the habit in those places where ebola is rampant, nor do we not wash our hands after handling our dead for burial, etc., please give me your version as to how this is going to be a massive epidemic here. Because I'm not seein' it. So I would like to hear your thoughts as to how it would not only transmit from the patients coming in from Africa to Emory, but then to others and become a pandemic.

Before responding, please consider the following article about ebola: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/31/5952515/facts-you-should-know-about-the-ebola-outbreak

• Like 4

OK, a lot of peeps here I really like are among those freaking out over this. Ambulances transport people with communicable diseases all the time. Ebola ia not easily transmittable - YOU CAN ONLY CATCH IT THROUGH THE EXCHANGE OF BODILY FLUIDS OR EATING THE IMPROPERLY-COOKED MEAT OF AN INFECTED ANIMAL.

Now, considering that we do not drink the blood of our dead, nor eat bat soup, as is the habit in those places where ebola is rampant, nor do we not wash our hands after handling our dead for burial, etc., please give me your version as to how this is going to be a massive epidemic here. Because I'm not seein' it. So I would like to hear your thoughts as to how it would not only transmit from the patients coming in from Africa to Emory, but then to others and become a pandemic.

Before responding, please consider the following article about ebola: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/31/5952515/facts-you-should-know-about-the-ebola-outbreak

You don't eat bat soup?

That's just......wait for it.......it's coming.......it's worth waiting for........batty.

OK, maybe it wasn't worth waiting for.

• Like 1

Ok, ebola, by its own nature makes even minute(sp?) hemmorages such as petichiae all over the body, as well as huge hemmorages through every orifice of the body such as eyes, ears, nose, mouth, anus, the front genitalia, injection sites (where they place lines such as hydration lines, medicine lines). Now lets say one of these poor first responders has a cut on their arm that is scabbed over, however, during a fit in the ambulance given that ebola has been known to cause seizures, the scab is removed and in the process of stabilizing the patient a single drop of the patients blood goes into this cut...voila...odds are the first responder was just infected. Of course we can always pray that the viral load wasn't high enough or that by some miracle the first responder doesn't contract ebola...but that is long shot. Now the first responder has 7-21 days before symptoms even occur and god knows where he/she will be in the mean time...somewhere in Atlanta or the suburbs. Lets say they still work, or have relations with their spouse (there have been instances in which ebola and its sister virus marburg has spread via relations). As you can see...this is a very dangerous virus anything can happen. I would rather it not be here or take them to the CDC or FT. Detrick and put them into a LVL 4 bio-containment unit with support.

By the way, they still haven't found the true reservoir of the virus...so we cannot definitively say which animal started it all.

Edited by Danaerys

Danaerys - would not the patient and/or EMT be in a medical hazmat suit?

Hazmats can be ripped and can be punctured by a needle. There has been documentation of that happening and infection. Not to mention, if decontamination at the end is even slightly compromised, there is a possiblity then with the blood on the suit. Too many things can go wrong and have before. I am not willing to risk my family, or this country for anyone.

• Like 1

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO even better...the company transporting the two infected is based out of Cartersville. Sit and think on that for a few minutes. It is now even closer to home.

Be careful now. Some folks here will be saying you are cold hearted. That happens to folks who put family, neighbors, and country at the head of the line, and worry when others can be a threat.

• Like 1

The news is on now and someone from Emory says the chance of this getting out to the general public is minimal..............

Wow, I feel better.

NOT!

Exactly!

How well do you trust the guys cleaning the plane in cartersville?!?

Not a bit

Yeah people are pretty careless anymore. Worrisome.

Absolutely

Be careful now. Some folks here will be saying you are cold hearted. That happens to folks who put family, neighbors, and country at the head of the line, and worry when others can be a threat.

Honey, I have a newborn infant at home. I don't care one iota if people think I am cold-hearted. I am protecting my family.

• Like 2

OK it has been established that I am an ignorant southerner. Now that that is out of the way. It would take the Ebola virus a million years to mutate to the point it could walk, swim, fly, dance, drive, wash, hitch hike across the Atlantic. So lets buy it a private jet and give it a ride. Thank you government/CDC/elitist for speeding it up. Did the Yucatan white man's burden teach you nothing.

• Like 5

OK it has been established that I am an ignorant southerner. Now that that is out of the way. It would take the Ebola virus a million years to mutate to the point it could walk, swim, fly, dance, drive, wash, hitch hike across the Atlantic. So lets buy it a private jet and give it a ride. Thank you government/CDC/elitist for speeding it up. Did the Yucatan white man's burden teach you nothing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden_(film) is this what you were talking about?

Sorry, can't get the link to work like it's supposed to.

The American doctor and nurse were working specifically with Ebola patients. They're supposed to be wearing hazmat suits from head to toe that is supposed to be protect them from coming into direct contact with an infected person's bodily fluids. Now if they were following these procedures, how did they become infected?

The transmission of HIV/AIDS is through bodily fluids, but you don't see medical staff treating those patients geared up in hazmat suits. Those who suffer from HIV/AIDS aren't quarantined from people either.

I can't help suspect there is something about the transmission of Ebola we aren't being told. I know one thing for sure; if I were scheduled for any procedure at Emory while a patient was there with Ebola, I'd change my plans. I'd go to GRU (formerly MCG) in Augusta.

• Like 2

Just a point from an engineer. Yes, the containment tent in the plane may normally work fine. However, what if the plane develops a problem on final and crash lands enough not to catch fire, but emergency teams respond? Think they will be told in time that they better not get near the plane? think they routinely use Class 1 containment gear?

Or the ambulance carrying the patients from the airport (Cartersville?) has a blowout and rolls over the side of the road on 75 or is hit in an accident and rolls over at high speed, etc. How will the driver behind it that wants to help know that its' got an Ebola patient on board and that attempting to help gives him/her a 60% chance of death. How about the Police, EMTs and fire personnel responding to the 911 call? Think they will know in time?

Heck, if I was a sleeper terrorist I'd love to attack the ambulance just to *try* to spread it.

How long would it take and how many people could be infected before it's figured out?

With something like this, you don't look at the great odds of containment if everything goes right, you look at the odds of containment if everything goes wrong.

Remember Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Japan. They said Nuclear plants would never melt down too because they had all these precautions and safeguards.

Ask the ghosts of Chernobyl and Japan if they still think that Nuclear power is too safe to fail.

Now I understand that everything you do is a calculated risk. However, you have to look at the worst case vs the advantages before doing something. I'm not sure that the advantages in this situation outweigh the potential cost.

How many times has the CDC had issues with misplacing disease specimens in the last year or so?

Anybody who says there can't be a problem because they have canvas isolation tent in the plane is an idiot.

The Army has entire hospitals that are mobile and can be moved on site within a day if the Emory Doc want to treat them.

Perhaps they have plans to have helicopters all along the routes to set down if there is a problem But knowing our government, I doubt it.

• Like 1