Paulding.com

I stopped by the new.....

Silver Comet Airport Terminal this afternoon.

It was my first time seeing the place.

After wandering through the building, a few thoughts and questions came to mind.

(none of this is meant to be bashing the airport or terminal, just some thoughts and questions)

1. Very nice looking place. (still has that new airport smell :) )

2. Is it not finished? I saw signs that said "construction crews only" on several of the doors.

Shouldn't it be completed by now?

3. Lots of large meeting rooms, who meets there currently?

I understand that the rooms were built with an eye to the future, so I am not criticizing the size or number of rooms, just wondering who meets there at this time.

Besides the AA and the building...whatever it is...committee.

4. It appeared, from the number of cars in the parking lot, that there were only 3 people there.

How many people normally work there on a daily basis?

5. I didn't see anyone while I was there, but I didn't go into any office area where the doors were closed.

All the meeting room doors were open and given the way the lobby(?) is laid out, with it being two stories tall, I wonder how much money is spent cooling that building during the day?

Those air conditioner units, and there were quite a few, were humming along quite merrily.

Again, nice building and these are just some thoughts and questions, not meant to be accusatory or saying things are not right.

After wandering through the building, a few thoughts and questions came to mind.

(none of this is meant to be bashing the airport or terminal, just some thoughts and questions)

2. Is it not finished? I saw signs that said "construction crews only" on several of the doors.

I understand that the rooms were built with an eye to the future, so I am not criticizing the size or number of rooms, just wondering who meets there at this time.

4. It appeared, from the number of cars in the parking lot, that there were only 3 people there.

5. I didn't see anyone while I was there, but I didn't go into any office area where the doors were closed.

All the meeting room doors were open and given the way the lobby(?) is laid out, with it being two stories tall, I wonder how much money is spent cooling that building during the day?

Those air conditioner units, and there were quite a few, were humming along quite merrily.

Again, nice building and these are just some thoughts and questions, not meant to be accusatory or saying things are not right.

One person works there that is not a County paid employee and that person gets a cut rate 1/2 price rental

A big part of the lack of usage is due to the tornado a while back - it took alot of the work out of there because the aircraft were then destroyed. :)!

Scouts have used the meeting rooms - I know that there have been other groups meeting there.

But, you know as a community - we should run the ground into place and keep trashing it all the internet so that no one will never come and use the place. Then - the predictions will all come true!!!

• Like 3

A big part of the lack of usage is due to the tornado a while back - it took alot of the work out of there because the aircraft were then destroyed. :)!

Scouts have used the meeting rooms - I know that there have been other groups meeting there.

But, you know as a community - we should run the ground into place and keep trashing it all the internet so that no one will never come and use the place. Then - the predictions will all come true!!!

First, thank you for the information, are the scouts still using the rooms for meetings. (I hope so)

Second, I'm not sure how you, if you did, see where my thoughts and questions are "running the ground into place" or "trashing it".

I made sure to say twice that I specifically wasn't trying to do that, just some questions.

If I was trying to make a point that was negative, I wouldn't have said that I wasn't trying to be negative.

I thought my questions were fair and understandable.

But then, they were my questions. :)

Sounds more of a conference center with your thoughts on all the meetings rooms.

Sounds more of a conference center with your thoughts on all the meetings rooms.

I can understand the meeting rooms.

It makes sense and they can easily be converted to offices or other type of rooms if needed.

First, thank you for the information, are the scouts still using the rooms for meetings. (I hope so)

Second, I'm not sure how you, if you did, see where my thoughts and questions are "running the ground into place" or "trashing it".

I made sure to say twice that I specifically wasn't trying to do that, just some questions.

If I was trying to make a point that was negative, I wouldn't have said that I wasn't trying to be negative.

I thought my questions were fair and understandable.

But then, they were my questions. :)

We've used them occasionally - not on a regular basis. It's actually a little far out for most of us to drive.

I apologize. My comment about running it into the ground was not directed at you - it was a editorial comment. I should have delineated it better than I did. But, I do worry about that. As a community - it seems like folks bully anyone that finds something useful about that facility into the ground. It will become a self fulfilling prophecy that it will fail. Just makes me very sad. It could be so much more, but I'm afraid it will end up being so little. You know - it just dawned on me that McCullom field has commercial flights (fed ex) and housing and schools right around it. Why is that so different? And, nice housing - and a nice school. Sigh. So much could be done. But so little will be.

We've used them occasionally - not on a regular basis. It's actually a little far out for most of us to drive.

I apologize. My comment about running it into the ground was not directed at you - it was a editorial comment. I should have delineated it better than I did. But, I do worry about that. As a community - it seems like folks bully anyone that finds something useful about that facility into the ground. It will become a self fulfilling prophecy that it will fail. Just makes me very sad. It could be so much more, but I'm afraid it will end up being so little. You know - it just dawned on me that McCullom field has commercial flights (fed ex) and housing and schools right around it. Why is that so different? And, nice housing - and a nice school. Sigh. So much could be done. But so little will be.

Like I said, nice facility.

I am sure that most would love to have FedEx flying out of our place. (at least I think they would)

I know that I seem wishy washy about the airport, but I am really not.

What I have a major problem with is the way it is being handled or mishandled or however you wish to put it.

But I don't hold that against the building. :)

I can understand the meeting rooms.

It makes sense and they can easily be converted to offices or other type of rooms if needed.

Maybe convert one of the rooms to a Delta Crown Room. Always enjoyed visiting them when I had a layover years ago when travelling

• Like 1

I am sure that most would love to have FedEx flying out of our place. (at least I think they would)

With 1:00 AM takeoffs and 4:00 AM landings? I doubt it.

The NIMBYs were screaming about daytime takeoffs and landings. I'd hate to hear them if nighttime big planes were planned.

I'd rather have some daytime commuter air traffic if it was feasible,. ( I just don't think it is.)

I know of a church that meets there weekly.....or did. I will check and see if they still do. I can't think of any particular group, but I do recall seeing advertisments about other groups meeting there. Sorry, no details in my memory; just meeting at the airport stuck out enough to get my attention.

You know - it just dawned on me that McCullom field has commercial flights (fed ex) and housing and schools right around it. Why is that so different? And, nice housing -

We moved to kennesaw in 1979.House was right under the flight pattern of mccollum.Planes were not over 100 feet above our roof.Check the maps.My parents still live in the same house on red oak way/kennesaw due west road.900-1000 sq.ft. houses.But they knew that when they bought.

And I don't believe mccollum has an authority that can levy taxes should they not make enough money.

But, a big part of the argument about the airport is that the surrounding communities would be affected. Obviously that's not true. Your parents even BOUGHT there knowing there was an airport. So, obviously it can't be that bad for the surrounding communities. And, they built a high school there - so obviously it can't be DEVASTATING for the school that's close by.

All public projects like that have a tax payer portion. That's just the nature of the beast.

But, a big part of the argument about the airport is that the surrounding communities would be affected. Obviously that's not true. Your parents even BOUGHT there knowing there was an airport. So, obviously it can't be that bad for the surrounding communities. And, they built a high school there - so obviously it can't be DEVASTATING for the school that's close by.

All public projects like that have a tax payer portion. That's just the nature of the beast.

Yeah - there's public money involved - not quite the same, but still -

Up to 95% of this project is being funded with grants received from the Federal Aviation Administration and the State of Georgia Aviation Division. Federal Airport Grants are funded by the Aviation Trust Fund which is fully funded by the users of aviation services, including the federal tax on aviation fuel paid by our airport customers.

I know of a church that meets there weekly.....or did. I will check and see if they still do. I can't think of any particular group, but I do recall seeing advertisments about other groups meeting there. Sorry, no details in my memory; just meeting at the airport stuck out enough to get my attention.

Good deal.

No need to check, it's ok.

The reason I asked about the Boy Scouts was because I know they lost some of their meeting places last year.

Glad to hear it is being utilized.

That would also explain why the it is being kept cool.

Nothing worse than having a meeting in a hot room.

If that airport money had been used for the new reservoir(as the voters wanted),more than three folks would be using it.We would not be buying that Clorox water from Cobb county,the tornado would have done little damage,no air conditioning would be needed,and I could be fishin` in it instead of perusing over all this drivel.Thanks Stradial,for the update.Think I`ll go fishin`.Somewhere.

• Like 3

I went for the first time last month. I went to shoot some pictures of the storm clouds that were coming in. I saw two older gentlemen on a golf cart. The driver dropped his passenger at one door, then he drove to the next door and got out. What I found amusing, is they still were talking to each other at their perspective doors.

Other than that, it was a ghost town. But, here is a thought, start renting out the rooms for different occasions.

I went for the first time last month. I went to shoot some pictures of the storm clouds that were coming in. I saw two older gentlemen on a golf cart. The driver dropped his passenger at one door, then he drove to the next door and got out. What I found amusing, is they still were talking to each other at their perspective doors.

Other than that, it was a ghost town. But, here is a thought, start renting out the rooms for different occasions.

You know what's even more amusing the salary you're paying those two to ride around in a golf cart.

The thought occurred to me to go for a drive on the runway.

But then the thought occurred to me that I am not fond of baloney sandwiches, which is what I hear they feed you in the Paulding graybar hotel.

If anyone thinks that "Up to 95% of this project is being funded with grants received from the Federal Aviation Administration and the State of Georgia Aviation Division". has really not been paying close attention.

We have received tax dollars from our congressmen Phil Gingery for almost $2,000,000 Isakson and Chambliss chipped in a $4,000,000 check Others have put in a few dollars here and the State of Georgia has donated a few million state tax dollars.

Don't forget Paulding County has chipped in between $8,000,000 and $10,000,000 according to Commissioner Graham. It has now got to the point that almost $500,000 is budgeted every year just for the maintenance and upkeep of the airport, Heck look at the Current BOC budget IBA budget and the PCAA budget. there is the proof Have we already forgot the $3.6 million dollar contract the BOC had to spend to bailout the IBA a few short weeks ago where they started a expansion project at the airport with no money in place.

These figures are readily available to verify at the Board of commissioners office, Call David Austin and ask him his door is always open to discuss this, Better still we have a budget public hearing next Tuesday at 10:00 am Watson Government Building 2nd floor Commissioners meeting room. I can assure you that information being put out on the Support Silver Comet Field face book page about the funding is simply not the truth.

• Like 1

That is good info Whitey, I guess it is good info, I have no clue. (but I trust you.....mostly :) )

But this was more about the terminal than the airport in general.

After all, the terminal is there and I was happy to hear that it is apparently being used for various club meetings.

I was just surprised to see the construction people only signs, I would have thought it would have been completed.

That is good info Whitey, I guess it is good info, I have no clue. (but I trust you.....mostly :) )

But this was more about the terminal than the airport in general.

After all, the terminal is there and I was happy to hear that it is apparently being used for various club meetings.

I was just surprised to see the construction people only signs, I would have thought it would have been completed.

If memory serves me there was a few million State of Georgia tax dollars spent to build the Terminal.

I will have to look at the contract again but I believe we are responsible for the modifications to the current terminal, maybe mojo413 can tell us more about it.

I know we (Paulding County Tax payers) are going to pay for some of the security.

If anyone thinks that "Up to 95% of this project is being funded with grants received from the Federal Aviation Administration and the State of Georgia Aviation Division". has really not been paying close attention.

We have received tax dollars from our congressmen Phil Gingery for almost $2,000,000 Isakson and Chambliss chipped in a $4,000,000 check Others have put in a few dollars here and the State of Georgia has donated a few million state tax dollars.

Don't forget Paulding County has chipped in between $8,000,000 and $10,000,000 according to Commissioner Graham. It has now got to the point that almost $500,000 is budgeted every year just for the maintenance and upkeep of the airport, Heck look at the Current BOC budget IBA budget and the PCAA budget. there is the proof Have we already forgot the $3.6 million dollar contract the BOC had to spend to bailout the IBA a few short weeks ago where they started a expansion project at the airport with no money in place.

These figures are readily available to verify at the Board of commissioners office, Call David Austin and ask him his door is always open to discuss this, Better still we have a budget public hearing next Tuesday at 10:00 am Watson Government Building 2nd floor Commissioners meeting room. I can assure you that information being put out on the Support Silver Comet Field face book page about the funding is simply not the truth.

Whitey - you missed the part that this was about McCulloum. That was part of a conversation about McCulloum.

If memory serves me there was a few million State of Georgia tax dollars spent to build the Terminal.

I will have to look at the contract again but I believe we are responsible for the modifications to the current terminal, maybe mojo413 can tell us more about it.

I know we (Paulding County Tax payers) are going to pay for some of the security.

We just built it and now we are having to modify it?

That's not good.

As far as security, I promise not to drive on the runway.

Whitey - you missed the part that this was about McCulloum. That was part of a conversation about McCulloum.

Just thinking hard the support face book page has been spewing misinformation out on this since its inception.

Members of the PCAA have been spewing misinformation out about this since 2004, It is past time to bring the facts out and let the lies fall where they may.

I was just advised that there are several groups that use the meeting rooms at the airport terminal and that rental income from renting these rooms is above what was projected.

That is good news, after all, the rooms are there, so it is good to know that they are being used.

Thank you all for your information on my questions.

Just thinking hard the support face book page has been spewing misinformation out on this since its inception.

Members of the PCAA have been spewing misinformation out about this since 2004, It is past time to bring the facts out and let the lies fall where they may.

What are you talking about? I've not been reading the support facebook page. I found this on McCulloum's web page. I did a quick internet search to get a quick idea of where their funding comes from.

Again - read the entire thread about McCullum and quit assuming you know everything. Especially if your assumption is that I'm carte blanche supporting anything.

We just built it and now we are having to modify it?

That's not good.

As far as security, I promise not to drive on the runway.

You are already paying for security they have at least two Marshalls at every airport and IBA meeting seems they are not comfortable having open meetings with citizens present, They prefer the secret meetings.

OH.... and they passed a new resolution today about the signs etc, they now want to trample on our first amendment rights of free speech... Just another hurdle to jump over.

What are you talking about? I've not been reading the support facebook page. I found this on McCulloum's web page. I did a quick internet search to get a quick idea of where their funding comes from.

Again - read the entire thread about McCullum and quit assuming you know everything. Especially if your assumption is that I'm carte blanche supporting anything.

Did I say YOU read anything? You need to read my post again.

Did I say YOU read anything? You need to read my post again.

Okay - you just have me confused.

In response to my post about the funding at McCullum - you posted -

That seems to imply that you think I got that information from a particular facebook page. Which, I didn't.

So, I'm still back at the beginning wondering what in the world you're talking about. But, unfortunately, you're proving yourself to be like most of the anti-airport folks - not making a whole lot of sense, and when that's notice - you start being a bit of a bully. Shrug!!

Here is a rendering of the terminal renovations.. Not trying to be a know it all but the thread was about the new terminal at silver comet field that Stradial was speaking of.

So maybe stradial will be interested in this information

.http://pauldingairport.com/sites/all/themes/haiku/documents/SILVER%20COMET_FLOOR%20PLAN%20RENDERING.pdf

Thank you.

We need a large convention center here in paulding.

Think of all the events we could host.

Yep because if a group has the choice between the World Congress Center and the Paulding county airport hell it's a no brainer......Right ?

• Like 1