Paulding.com

Bd of Ed Tax Hike Hearings Tuesday & July 22

This was in today's AJC.

Surprised I didn't see it here.

School board holds tax-increase hearings

The Paulding County Board of Education will hold the final two of three public hearings on a proposed tax hike of 14.3 percent due to property value increases. The hearings will be at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday and 8: 30 a.m. July 22 at the Paulding County Board of Education, 3236 Atlanta Highway, Dallas.

Information: paulding.k12.ga.us.

It's not a tax hike. They aren't changing what they are charging. Because I own something that has increased in value doesn't mean that they changed the taxes. Come on.

Personally, I'm just glad to have this problem. I'd rather my property be worth something CLOSE to what I paid for it than to work about a couple of hundred dollars more in property tax each year. It will take me decades of lower tax bills before I make up the decreased value in my property.

It's not a tax hike. They aren't changing what they are charging. Because I own something that has increased in value doesn't mean that they changed the taxes. Come on.

Personally, I'm just glad to have this problem. I'd rather my property be worth something CLOSE to what I paid for it than to work about a couple of hundred dollars more in property tax each year. It will take me decades of lower tax bills before I make up the decreased value in my property.

I guess it's a point of view thing. Since the tax digest was increased 14%, total tax revenue collected will go up 14% which is a tax increase. (By law, hence, the public meetings) *However* , since the board held the rate the same all through the digest drop from 2008 and did massive budget cuts instead of raising rates, I have no problem with them holding the rate the same while tax digest recovers at least part of the way back.

I do hope that they are able to use the lessons of the recession to get the most out of the increased funds.

Should they look to be using the windfall increase for "junk" programs, my opinion is subject to shift. 14% is a heck of an increase. (I which *I* got a 14% increase in income this year!!) It will be interesting to compare last year's budget to this years and see what they do with it. I'm hoping they take care of the teachers that have stood with the system through some hard times and increase hiring to reduce the classroom loads again.

• Like 4

And here we go again. No the tax hasn't changed but you will be paying more school taxes because housing values are increasing. The BOC has a 5% across the board increase in it's budget, so look for your taxes to take a huge leap with both of these increases.

How the county values your property vs what you can sell it for are not one and the same! There is no way they can take over 50,000 houses in the county and have an appropriate value for each and every one.

My daughter's house value jumped from 38,000 to 63,000..............while there are still many foreclosures and vacant properties in her subdivision. There is absolutely no way she could sell her house for $63,000.00. Should she pay increased taxes just so she can "think" her house is worth that much?

• Like 1

And here we go again. No the tax hasn't changed but you will be paying more school taxes because housing values are increasing. The BOC has a 5% across the board increase in it's budget, so look for your taxes to take a huge leap with both of these increases.

How the county values your property vs what you can sell it for are not one and the same! There is no way they can take over 50,000 houses in the county and have an appropriate value for each and every one.

My daughter's house value jumped from 38,000 to 63,000..............while there are still many foreclosures and vacant properties in her subdivision. There is absolutely no way she could sell her house for $63,000.00. Should she pay increased taxes just so she can "think" her house is worth that much?

If her house isn't worth what the county thinks it's worth - then you should appeal the value. Not complain about the taxes going up. The problem in your case isn't the tax rate - it's a mis-valuation of the property. To truly solve the problem - you must go to the source of the actual problem. Not just complain.

I guess it's a point of view thing. Since the tax digest was increased 14%, total tax revenue collected will go up 14% which is a tax increase. (By law, hence, the public meetings) *However* , since the board held the rate the same all through the digest drop from 2008 and did massive budget cuts instead of raising rates, I have no problem with them holding the rate the same while tax digest recovers at least part of the way back.

I do hope that they are able to use the lessons of the recession to get the most out of the increased funds.

Should they look to be using the windfall increase for "junk" programs, my opinion is subject to shift. 14% is a heck of an increase. (I which *I* got a 14% increase in income this year!!) It will be interesting to compare last year's budget to this years and see what they do with it. I'm hoping they take care of the teachers that have stood with the system through some hard times and increase hiring to reduce the classroom loads again.

It is a point of view thing. It's like when my mom complains about her tax rate went up because my dad got a raise. HUH? Talk about first world problems. I don't like paying taxes anymore than the next person. Believe you me. And, it will still sting in November when I pay the tax bill. I don't like it one bit. But, I'm also not going to stand in front of the Board of Ed and complain that they aren't raising the mileage rate, but that some other distance agency in the local government changed the valuation of my property. Nor am I going to complain that perhaps the property that I paid $100k for might just be worth that again someday. I liked the $500 tax bill when my house was only work about $38k. But, if I'd rather sell it - I'd rather be paying incrementally more in taxes than be so completely underwater in my house value.

I truly agree with you - and have expressed that opinion publicly. The buildings just weren't built for classes this large. As a sub, it's just difficult to even move in some of the classes. I like to walk the aisles, etc. when subbing and there are some classes where that's just impossible.

Edited by Just thinkin' hard
  • Like 2
If her house isn't worth what the county thinks it's worth - then you should appeal the value. Not complain about the taxes going up. The problem in your case isn't the tax rate - it's a mis-valuation of the property. To truly solve the problem - you must go to the source of the actual problem. Not just complain.

She did file the appeal for her valuation increase, yesterday was the deadline to do that for 2014. I wasn't complaining, I was explaining that the assessed value the county puts on real property is not always accurate.

She did file the appeal for her valuation increase, yesterday was the deadline to do that for 2014. I wasn't complaining, I was explaining that the assessed value the county puts on real property is not always accurate.

But, that has nothing to do with the mileage rate charged by the Board of Ed. I know it seems like I'm trying to obscure the issue. But, I'm really not. (And, this isn't necessarily at you - just in general).

Let me try a different example.

Let's say that the IRS announces that they are maintaining current tax rates. BUT, Congress raises the minimum wage to twice as much. Did the IRS just raise everyone's taxes because Congress increased the minimum wage? In our example, did the BOE raises the taxes because the County property tax office increased the values of property?

Now - I'm not saying that I'm not paying more in taxes. And, I'm not saying that the BOE isn't going to benefit from the increase in valuation. But, can you really complain that the BOE raised your taxes?

Edited by Just thinkin' hard

This has everything to do with increased valuations, the BOE is not raising taxes but the action will result in a net increase of over 14% prompting a need to have a public meeting.

My point being, your taxes are going up. Just how much is determined by the value of your real property from last year to this year.

Edited by tundra

Then the title of the thread is very misleading. It strongly implies that the boe is hiking taxes-taking an active role in the process. But in reality - they are benefiting from a fortunate uptick in the economy just as they suffered from a down turn in the economy for the last few years.

• Like 1

Now - I'm not saying that I'm not paying more in taxes. And, I'm not saying that the BOE isn't going to benefit from the increase in valuation. But, can you really complain that the BOE raised your taxes?

If more money is coming out of my pockets, then yes, my taxes have been raised. Period. However, by that definition, I have to say I had several years of tax cuts as my value went down but they kept the rate the same. The BOE had one+ more mil they could have legally raised the rates during the recession to try to maintain some of their budget and would have had every right to do so. My understanding of the law would be that they wouldn't have even had to have public meetings since the revenue would be lower than the previous year even with the rate hike, but I could be wrong on that, perhaps Nick can comment.

In either case, they didn't raise the rate, gave us a cut, and I appreciated it. Now I don't mind paying the cut funds again as the economy recovers, (My values jumped two years ago) I had a nice little vacation from those extra payments, but believe in supporting the schools as long as they use the extra money wisely. (I would note that my last kid graduated in 2012) As much as the Feds are screwing them up, I think the BOE is trying their best to give our kids an educated future on a shoestring budget.

Really I have no issue funding the schools, but as has been mentioned, doing it wisely. I appreciate them holding the line and not increasing the tax base but they didn't give us a cut any more than they gave us an increase.

You taxes go up and down based on the valuation of your property, even if the rates remain the same.

Our school board has some hefty debt that must be repaid, 50% of the E-splost will be going toward that debt. I voted yes for E-splost.

If more money is coming out of my pockets, then yes, my taxes have been raised. Period.

BAMMO. In spades. And I wouldn't have a problem with increased tax due to increased valuation, either, IF I thought government was being sensible and judicious in how it spends the money coming in. But it's not. THAT is what torques me about taxes.

Most of the comments here are correct as it applies to valuation of property. I believe the tax assessors board has pretty good information about the value of property in the county during the current recession. If you look back over the last couple of years you can literally graph the decline in property values and overlay that information with a graph of the millage rate for the the school system.

What the information will show you is that the school system literally rode the wave of decline in values with the rest of the county. Now, as values are going up the school system is attempting to refund some areas of the budget that declined over the years.

If more money is coming out of my pockets, then yes, my taxes have been raised. Period. However, by that definition, I have to say I had several years of tax cuts as my value went down but they kept the rate the same. The BOE had one+ more mil they could have legally raised the rates during the recession to try to maintain some of their budget and would have had every right to do so. My understanding of the law would be that they wouldn't have even had to have public meetings since the revenue would be lower than the previous year even with the rate hike, but I could be wrong on that, perhaps Nick can comment.

In either case, they didn't raise the rate, gave us a cut, and I appreciated it. Now I don't mind paying the cut funds again as the economy recovers, (My values jumped two years ago) I had a nice little vacation from those extra payments, but believe in supporting the schools as long as they use the extra money wisely. (I would note that my last kid graduated in 2012) As much as the Feds are screwing them up, I think the BOE is trying their best to give our kids an educated future on a shoestring budget.

Mostly agree with this.

Really I have no issue funding the schools, but as has been mentioned, doing it wisely. I appreciate them holding the line and not increasing the tax base but they didn't give us a cut any more than they gave us an increase.

You taxes go up and down based on the valuation of your property, even if the rates remain the same.

Our school board has some hefty debt that must be repaid, 50% of the E-splost will be going toward that debt. I voted yes for E-splost.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the school system, unlike other government entities, has more budgetary constraints. There is simply a lot less wiggle room in the budget process.

• Like 1

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the school system, unlike other government entities, has more budgetary constraints. There is simply a lot less wiggle room in the budget process.

Still waiting to hear who will represent my part of the county and speak for me on the BOE. Hope I am not royally ticked off when I hear. :ninja:

• Like 1

If you look back over the last couple of years you can literally graph the decline in property values and overlay that information with a graph of the millage rate for the the school system.

Did you mean Budget there instead of millage rate? I thought the rate remained the same.

Most of the comments here are correct as it applies to valuation of property. I believe the tax assessors board has pretty good information about the value of property in the county during the current recession. If you look back over the last couple of years you can literally graph the decline in property values and overlay that information with a graph of the millage rate for the the school system.

What the information will show you is that the school system literally rode the wave of decline in values with the rest of the county. Now, as values are going up the school system is attempting to refund some areas of the budget that declined over the years.

I understand what you are saying here but "refund some areas of the budget" sort of sounds like you'll be giving some money back. I think what you are trying to say is that some areas of the budget that declined will again be funded.

Edited by tundra