Paulding.com

Father who left child in hot car charged with murder

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents worth, which in reality, isn't really worth 2 cents. IF, the father checks out to have been a good father, no issues other than this one (which granted i

I think they want to make an example of this guy.   Felony murder?   That is ridiculous and I doubt it will hold up.   If I had done this, and it was my only child, I would never make it to tria

I am so tired of hearing about all of these cases where people are forgetting their children in the car. It seems that most are people that don't normally have the children and forget to drop them off

Yeah, like someone said on FB, he was fearful of it and yet he left him in the car just minutes after having breakfast with him? Nah.

Again, that's why I think he had a rear facing car seat. So he wouldn't have to look at him, especially when he went out at lunch to make sure he was dead.

From the MDJ obituary's today:
HARRIS, Cooper Mills
Cooper Mills Harris, 22 months old of Marietta, GA. died June 18, 2014. Location of Services: at University Church of Christ Day: June 28, 2014. Time: 1:00pm. Presiding Clergy: David Eldridge. Location of Burial: Private family burial to follow service. Funeral Home: Tuscaloosa Memorial Chapel Visitation: June 28th 12:00pm University Church of Christ. The body will lie in state for: 1 hour prior to the services. Survivors: Parents: Justin Ross Harris and Leanna Taylor Harris (Marietta, GA) Grandparents: Evelyn and Reggie Harris (Tuscaloosa, AL), Debra Smith Taylor (Northport, AL), Dock and Dona Taylor (Fosters, AL) Aunts/Uncles: Amy and Michael Baygents (Northport, AL) and Jenna Taylor (Tuscaloosa, AL). Cooper was born on August 2nd, 2012 to the most proud parents there could have ever been. He was loved and cherished and protected by both parents and all family members for his short 22 months of life. He was a happy baby. He loved to speak with anyone and made impacts on many peoples lives in his short time. Cooper loved trucks and cars and often told them bye as we left parking lots. He had just learned the color red and as we passed red vehicles he would tell his mommy and his daddy “bye red car, bye red truck” he was a joy and will always be cherished. His 22 months of life were the most happy and fulfilling times of his mother and fathers lives, and we will miss him greatly. The family rejoices in the fact that we know that our Cooper is in the arms of Jesus fully restored, protected and in perfect peace. Pall Bearers: Michael Baygents, James Jones, Billy Kirkpatrick, Michael Simmons. Special thank you: The family would like to express their sincerest thank you to those who have supported them during this tragic time. The outpouring of love has been tremendously overwhelming in the best way possible. Specifically we would like to thank any individuals who have chosen to support our family whether it has been financial or spreading the word of support and prayers for the loss of our sweet Cooper. Others that have been tremendously vital in our grieving process have been Stonebridge Church of Marietta, GA, Capstone Church of Tuscaloosa, AL, Home Depot/Homer Fund, Davita teammates, and Little Apron Academy staff and parents. We are forever indebted to your love and support for our family. The Lord sent you very special people to us and we are praising God in this storm. We love each and every one of you. In Lieu of flowers: The family would like to give back to a very special fund that has chosen to support us during this tragic time. Please make donations to the Homer Fund. Checks can be made payable to the Homer Fund and mailed directly to 2455 Paces Ferry Road Building C17 Atlanta, GA 30339. Payments can also be made via www.thdhomerfund.org by paypal account.

I find it interesting that they chose to use that particular sentence in his obituary. JMO

RIP Cooper.

This is beyond heartbreaking and sadness. RIP Little Cooper :(

I just read the actual warrant and it dawned on me --- if he had actually forgotten to take the child to daycare --- wouldn't he have gone TO the daycare (which apparently was a Home Depot day care facility) to pick the boy up after he got off work and then realized what he did? Instead, he headed "straight home" which really doesn't make sense for his alibi (he forgot to drop him off AND pick him up???) - proving criminals actually are idiots.

I was just reading the 24 page search warrant. In it there is a paragraph that states during questioning he admitted to doing a search on his computer regarding how much time before a child would die in a hot vehicle because he didn't want that to happen. This sounds like he admittingly left the child in the car for some unknown reason and was hoping he could get him out of the heated car in enough time before it killed him. So, what happened to taking him to day care? Was the child routinely taken to child care at all? It also says that he was going to meet with some friends when he left work and then noticed his son.

Here is the link to the warrant. It is a PDF document.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/06/28/merged_document.pdf

"Justin stated that he went to work that morning and
forgot to drop the child. off at day care. Justin
left his residence,1212 Wynnes Ridge Cir, Marietta GA, took the child
to Chic Fila in Vinings and then went to work. The
child was left in the vehicle since approximately 0930 hrs this
morning until he was discovered by Justin at around
1620 hrs when he was driving to meet up with some friends. The
tempreture outside was in the 90's for most of the day.
During an interview with Justin, He stated that he
recently researched, through the internet, child de
aths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for th
at to occur. Justin stated that he was fearful that this could
happen."
Edited by MsGaStorm

If the guy is guilty of intentionally murdering his child then he is also guilty of being incredibly stupid. As a web developer he should know that it's easy to see past internet search history.

I think he's incredibily stupid.

If the guy is guilty of intentionally murdering his child then he is also guilty of being incredibly stupid. As a web developer he should know that it's easy to see past internet search history.

Unless he somehow thought it would add credibility to his story. He wanted to portray himself as the overly concerned parent to make himself look even more like the caring parent who made a horrible mistake when tragedy happens.

The London-based reporter was in Alabama today and it mentioned that Leanne Harris (the mother/wife) says it was a terrible accident and she is not angry with him.

http://dailym.ai/1nSvgLs

Not angry with him?

Even if she believes this really was an accident, how can she not be angry?

My wife would kill me - if I didn't beat her to it.

Edited by cmorg

Not angry with him?

Even if she believes this really was an accident, how can she not be angry?

My wife would kill me - if I didn't beat her to it.

There's no way I would be able to stand and speak at my child's funeral. No matter what age they were or under what circumstances they passed away. And I already wrote how I would feel about him. I know everyone grieves differently but...hmmm...

duh

He doesn't look right out of his eyes, and someone mentioned early on he might be a card shy of a full deck.

Agreed. I noticed the eyes right away. I also noticed them with Adam Lanza, the Colorado nutter with the clown hair who shot up the movie theatre, et al. Freaky.

There's no way I would be able to stand and speak at my child's funeral. No matter what age they were or under what circumstances they passed away. And I already wrote how I would feel about him. I know everyone grieves differently but...hmmm...

Amen, sister. I think she'd be better served to keep her mouth shut.

The London-based reporter was in Alabama today and it mentioned that Leanne Harris (the mother/wife) says it was a terrible accident and she is not angry with him.

http://dailym.ai/1nSvgLs

I'm not sure why a London based reporter would get her first statement.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

RM - article states that the mother spoke at the funeral in his defense. I've not read where she's granted any interviews. The London Daily Mail, while having terrible editors, does two things well - have copious pictures with stories, and cover American news.

I note from the above link that a family member at the funeral asked for a round of applause for Cooper. Huh? That just does not even make a bit of sense.

Also, story says when someone else arrived to help with Cooper after the dad pulled him out of the car, he left the kid to their ministrations and pulled out his cell phone and started calling people. Huh?

RM - article states that the mother spoke at the funeral in his defense. I've not read where she's granted any interviews. The London Daily Mail, while having terrible editors, does two things well - have copious pictures with stories, and cover American news.

I note from the above link that a family member at the funeral asked for a round of applause for Cooper. Huh? That just does not even make a bit of sense.

Also, story says when someone else arrived to help with Cooper after the dad pulled him out of the car, he left the kid to their ministrations and pulled out his cell phone and started calling people. Huh?

Funerals can be strange things, people who may not be the best person for the job often end up in a position to say and/or do weird stuff.

I went to the funeral of my brother's father-in-law, my brother's deceased wife's father.

My brother's wife had died suddenly several years before, and all that preacher talked about was my brother's wife dying and the preacher's relationship with Jerry Falwell, for almost 2 hours.

Oh, he did mention the deceased a couple of times.

Funerals can be strange things, people who may not be the best person for the job often end up in a position to say and/or do weird stuff.

I went to the funeral of my brother's father-in-law, my brother's deceased wife's father.

My brother's wife had died suddenly several years before, and all that preacher talked about was my brother's wife dying and the preacher's relationship with Jerry Falwell, for almost 2 hours.

Oh, he did mention the deceased a couple of times.

Oh, dear Lord. That ranks right up there with the idiot who preached the funeral of a dear friend of mine who had been murdered (shot in the back). He all but said he was burning in hell at that very moment. My friend, not the guy who shot him. And how many of these blowhards have I heard just ramble on and on and ON about the stupidest stuff completely unrelated to the deceased or the family of the deceased. :blech:

Oh, dear Lord. That ranks right up there with the idiot who preached the funeral of a dear friend of mine who had been murdered (shot in the back). He all but said he was burning in hell at that very moment. My friend, not the guy who shot him. And how many of these blowhards have I heard just ramble on and on and ON about the stupidest stuff completely unrelated to the deceased or the family of the deceased. :blech:

Makes you wanna punch em in the nose, don't it.

Another thing to consider is if he had just fed the child and he is almost two years old, I am sure that the child had not fallen asleep in that short drive. I know as a mom, a two year old would have been jabbering or talking the whole time between Chik fil A and work. I just don't see him fogetting that the child was there.

Another thing to consider is if he had just fed the child and he is almost two years old, I am sure that the child had not fallen asleep in that short drive. I know as a mom, a two year old would have been jabbering or talking the whole time between Chik fil A and work. I just don't see him forgetting that the child was there.

That was my first thought also, 5 or 10 minutes is not long enough for a child to

become so quiet you can forget them in the car.

I can't get my mind around planning to kill a baby like this.

People do snap and harm children, some are long time abusers that finally go too far.

There is even neglect, but this is premeditated murder of a child and I think if they can find

no evidence of mental disease he should get life in prison. I want him to live a long life and think about what

he did.

I would be willing to bet that this dick pulled into work, telling the kid he didn't have to go to school that day and he was going to take off and they would spend the day together.

Probably the last thing that poor kid heard was, "wait right here buddy, daddy will be back in just a minute."

wow words fail me...now they say mother searched internet for car deaths and children..she has not been charged yet but this makes my blood run cold....how in the world could parents do this? I just don't understand..RIP little Cooper you are safe now.

• Like 1

From CNN as well

(CNN) -- Leanna Harris, mother of a Georgia toddler who died locked in a hot car, has told authorities that she previously researched such deaths and how they occur, according to a police affidavit.

I just read the actual warrant and it dawned on me --- if he had actually forgotten to take the child to daycare --- wouldn't he have gone TO the daycare (which apparently was a Home Depot day care facility) to pick the boy up after he got off work and then realized what he did? Instead, he headed "straight home" which really doesn't make sense for his alibi (he forgot to drop him off AND pick him up???) - proving criminals actually are idiots.

That's exactly what I told Hubby. He forgot to take him AND pick him up? What a crock.

I wonder why she mentioned this:

The last two nights of Cooper's life, he had trouble sleeping and ended up in bed between her and her husband, Leanna Harris said.

Early on in this story wasn't there talk of a newborn they supposedly had?

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom

Oh OK, thanks Mei lan. I've been having trouble with the links. This just gets more strange.

The one article said that he dropped one child at day care. So how do you forget the 2nd child?

Susan Ashton considering he dropped off one child and simply just forgot about the other one??? I hope the charges stick.

10376262_586026411513140_388316427636710

?

What if they did it together and this is all a ruse to try to get away with murdering their baby? Something just doesn't ring true to either of their stories.

I have been searching for what exactly the mother said about him not having to grow up in this world and deal with the harsh world or some such nonsense. At this point it wouldn't surprise me.

She said at the funeral that they loved him very much but she wouldn't want to bring him back into such a selfish world.

Whatever the hell that means.

There are folks in Tuscaloosa doubting the story as well.

And as they said on the news, neighbors had helped them from time to time and knew that the dad took the child to the day care everyday, so it was part of his routine.

I'm wondering if they had insurance on the baby? There is a reason for all of this.

How can people be so stupid? It's really hard to get away with murder these days.

I know, I know, Casey Anthony got away with it, but her case was so bungled. She will never live a peaceful day on this earth.

And how do you get up in front of a crowd of 200 at the funeral and act so innocent, unless in their mind they did the right thing, which makes them crazy.

This from FOX5

Randy Travis FOX 5

1 hr ·

For the first time, court documents indicate Ross Harris' wife Leanna was also interested in finding out how long it takes for a child to die in a hot car. Authorities earlier said Harris himself researched that question. We also reported last week that law enforcement sources told us Harris' work computer was used to search for how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car.

Now, according to a search warrant, when wife Leanna was interviewed the night of her son Cooper's death, she "made similar statements regarding researching in car deaths and how it occurs."

Investigators have seized Ross Harris' iPad, iPhone, two Macbook Pros and a Think Pad. There is no mention of any search warrant executed for his wife's phone or other personal belongings.

We went to a dear friends mothers funeral and he was devastated and the preacher got and said point blank, 'I didn't know Ms. Sheila so I can't speak to her life, but I can tell you about mine'. Then he proceeded to rail on and on about how awful he'd been as a youth and how he had found God and that we were all going to He!! if we didn't follow in his path. HUH?!?!?! WTF????? I was not amused, just really angry that he'd made HER funeral about HIMSELF. What a d'bag.

I appreciate the fact the this babys mother doesn't blame her husband, blah, blah, blah, HOWEVER, I ADORE my husband, I love him with all my heart, but if he did something so blatantly horrific and irresponsible to one of my children, I'm not sure I could look at him ever again. Even if it was a horrible, horrible accident.

• Like 1

We went to a dear friends mothers funeral and he was devastated and the preacher got and said point blank, 'I didn't know Ms. Sheila so I can't speak to her life, but I can tell you about mine'. Then he proceeded to rail on and on about how awful he'd been as a youth and how he had found God and that we were all going to He!! if we didn't follow in his path. HUH?!?!?! WTF????? I was not amused, just really angry that he'd made HER funeral about HIMSELF. What a d'bag.

I appreciate the fact the this babys mother doesn't blame her husband, blah, blah, blah, HOWEVER, I ADORE my husband, I love him with all my heart, but if he did something so blatantly horrific and irresponsible to one of my children, I'm not sure I could look at him ever again. Even if it was a horrible, horrible accident.

Not to get too far off topic (like that has ever stopped me before), but one of the best funerals I ever heard preached was by a minister that didn't know the deceased.

He said up front that he had never met him, but this preacher did his homework and he had talked extensively with the immediate family and he said, here is what the people who loved him said about the man.

He nailed it, it was all about the deceased and since it came from people who knew him well, it was right on the money.

He didn't try and spin it or change it, he just said it.

• Like 1

Not to get too far off topic (like that has ever stopped me before), but one of the best funerals I ever heard preached was by a minister that didn't know the deceased.

He said up front that he had never met him, but this preacher did his homework and he had talked extensively with the immediate family and he said, here is what the people who loved him said about the man.

He nailed it, it was all about the deceased and since it came from people who knew him well, it was right on the money.

He didn't try and spin it or change it, he just said it.

And that's how it should be. My cousin did my sisters funeral and we told him we wanted it short and sweet. I spoke, my nephew spoke and my cousin said a prayer. It was perfect. IMO, a funeral isn't a place to try to convert people to your way of thinking, it's not a forum for your beliefs.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

And that's how it should be. My cousin did my sisters funeral and we told him we wanted it short and sweet. I spoke, my nephew spoke and my cousin said a prayer. It was perfect. IMO, a funeral isn't a place to try to convert people to your way of thinking, it's not a forum for your beliefs.

I never cared for an "alter call" at a funeral.

• Like 3

This is just getting creepy now:

Leanna told mourners she is not angry at her husband and called him a great father and great leader for Cooper. Leanna went on to say she would not bring Cooper back into this selfish world. Ross Harris' father also spoke to the crowd sharing a story about how his son Ross had a dream Cooper was sitting on Jesus’ lap looking down at them, before the boy's death.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/cobb-county-father-makes-jailhouse-call-sons-funer/ngT8H/

It really sounds like they're trying to build the case that they had premonitions of their child's death.

If it was me, and I really did have that "feeling", I would be hyper-vigilant and I doubt I would have "forgot" and left him in the car.

More and more, it appears that these people (the mother and father) are sick, sick people and their plan didn't work out the way they had imagined.

• Like 1

This is just getting creepy now:

Leanna told mourners she is not angry at her husband and called him a great father and great leader for Cooper. Leanna went on to say she would not bring Cooper back into this selfish world. Ross Harris' father also spoke to the crowd sharing a story about how his son Ross had a dream Cooper was sitting on Jesus’ lap looking down at them, before the boy's death.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/cobb-county-father-makes-jailhouse-call-sons-funer/ngT8H/

Same story:

Leanna said God was holding her up through this time. She said she'll miss her son forever, but now he will not have to deal with heartbreak, worry about awkward stages or deal with middle or high school.

This story has just broke my heart. :(

I'm beginning to fear they may have been in on it together. Dear God..........