Paulding.com

Father who left child in hot car charged with murder

Going under the guise that the father knew HOW he was going to do it and it was premeditated - I still can't comprehend why he would choose that particular method for his son. I keep going back to that statement he made to his wife about how he dreaded how he would look...he researched people and animals in a car...surely, he knew the boy was going to suffer. The ONLY way I could see him coming to the conclusion ("yeah, this is a good idea...") would be that he realized the boy wasn't his and wanted to punish the wife and hated the boy for not being his. Otherwise, (my logic) wouldn't it have been more compassionate to pull a Susan Smith or even (god-forbid!) a Casey Anthony. In other words...what kind of monster is this guy?

As for the sexting...I have yet to meet ANY women who thinks a picture of a guys privates are sexy. Not sure how men come to that conclusion we would find that attractive, but I can guarantee that most women are either going to show it to their friends and have a good laugh about size issues or be so disgusted they think he's a pervert.

Susan smiths children, Michael and Alexander, suffered horribly.:(
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents worth, which in reality, isn't really worth 2 cents. IF, the father checks out to have been a good father, no issues other than this one (which granted i

I think they want to make an example of this guy.   Felony murder?   That is ridiculous and I doubt it will hold up.   If I had done this, and it was my only child, I would never make it to tria

I am so tired of hearing about all of these cases where people are forgetting their children in the car. It seems that most are people that don't normally have the children and forget to drop them off

Going under the guise that the father knew HOW he was going to do it and it was premeditated - I still can't comprehend why he would choose that particular method for his son. I keep going back to that statement he made to his wife about how he dreaded how he would look...he researched people and animals in a car...surely, he knew the boy was going to suffer. The ONLY way I could see him coming to the conclusion ("yeah, this is a good idea...") would be that he realized the boy wasn't his and wanted to punish the wife and hated the boy for not being his. Otherwise, (my logic) wouldn't it have been more compassionate to pull a Susan Smith or even (god-forbid!) a Casey Anthony. In other words...what kind of monster is this guy?

As for the sexting...I have yet to meet ANY women who thinks a picture of a guys privates are sexy. Not sure how men come to that conclusion we would find that attractive, but I can guarantee that most women are either going to show it to their friends and have a good laugh about size issues or be so disgusted they think he's a pervert.

Because he thought it could be played off as a horrible accident.

Any other method could and likely would be identified as a murder, but THIS, this COULD just be a horrible accident.

He was only concerned about himself and getting away with it.

Maybe someone will chime in and let me know if I'm wrong, but I have to wonder if the "father" applied something such as Vick's Vapo rub in and/or under his nose to mask the smell he likely knew would be in the car. It's my understanding that emergency workers and maybe the coroners do this to help with such foul odors when entering a building knowing there is a deceased person inside.

Susan smiths children, Michael and Alexander, suffered horribly. :(

It would have happened quickly though once the car filled with water and it was late October so the water was cold. Sitting in the car like that would have been agonizingly slow and from the marks on Cooper (mentioned during the hearing), it sounded like he must have been crying and hitting his head against the back of the car seat. Just wish someone had come out for an early lunch and seen him.

Since I write mysteries (and am a true crime buff), I can usually sort of half-way rationalize the thinking for what some of these idiot people do (Susan Smith thought she could get her boyfriend back and what she did was a spur of the moment thing with little forethought), but with him (premeditated and the suffering)...I got nothing. :unknw:

Maybe someone will chime in and let me know if I'm wrong, but I have to wonder if the "father" applied something such as Vick's Vapo rub in and/or under his nose to mask the smell he likely knew would be in the car. It's my understanding that emergency workers and maybe the coroners do this to help with such foul odors when entering a building knowing there is a deceased person inside.

I wouldn't think so because they probably would have found the jar of Vick's on him or in the car during processing. He could have turned the air on high and breathed through his mouth and maybe (???) have blocked it out. I think I read it takes about 15 minutes when you breathe through your mouth to block out the sensory of smell...but I don't remember if that is right or not.

It would have happened quickly though once the car filled with water and it was late October so the water was cold. Sitting in the car like that would have been agonizingly slow and from the marks on Cooper (mentioned during the hearing), it sounded like he must have been crying and hitting his head against the back of the car seat. Just wish someone had come out for an early lunch and seen him.

Since I write mysteries (and am a true crime buff), I can usually sort of half-way rationalize the thinking for what some of these idiot people do (Susan Smith thought she could get her boyfriend back and what she did was a spur of the moment thing with little forethought), but with him (premeditated and the suffering)...I got nothing. :unknw:

Both are murder and not something we are going to be able to relate to and understand. At least I hope I never do! But to be strapped on a car slowly filling with water is equally as horrific as being strapped in a car slowly filling with heat. Both involve an enormous amount of suffering. Actually now that I think about it, Susan Smith's case might be as close as we ever come to understanding what happened here.
  • Like 3

What I don't understand and is beyond me, every other day someone is arrested for leaving their child/children in the car while they go "shopping".

What the hell is wrong with people???

I guess you don't get the sale papers.

I mean, sometimes you have to fight for those Blue Light Specials and a kid can really hold you back.

Seriously, I have no clue what goes through someone's mind that "goes shopping" and leaves the kid in the car.

I tend to think that there may be two things that contribute to this.

1. The person is not very smart, I don't mean they have a handicap like autism, I mean they are stupid people, truly stupid

2. Drugs and/or alcohol are involved

I guess you don't get the sale papers.

I mean, sometimes you have to fight for those Blue Light Specials and a kid can really hold you back.

Seriously, I have no clue what goes through someone's mind that "goes shopping" and leaves the kid in the car.

I tend to think that there may be two things that contribute to this.

1. The person is not very smart, I don't mean they have a handicap like autism, I mean they are stupid people, truly stupid

2. Drugs and/or alcohol are involved

I think it's more than just stupidity, it's self centeredness to the max. 'I'm gonna do what I want, so what if you're left in the car and are put at risk. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more important than you'.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 2

I think it's more than just stupidity, it's self centeredness to the max. 'I'm gonna do what I want, so what if you're left in the car and are put at risk. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more important then you'.

You could be right and I would put that at reason #3 and in my opinion, the worst of the three.

I wouldn't think so because they probably would have found the jar of Vick's on him or in the car during processing. He could have turned the air on high and breathed through his mouth and maybe (???) have blocked it out. I think I read it takes about 15 minutes when you breathe through your mouth to block out the sensory of smell...but I don't remember if that is right or not.

Your right, and I forgot about mouth breathing to block smell. My paramedic friend breathes through her mouth for that reason.

What I don't understand and is beyond me, every other day someone is arrested for leaving their child/children in the car while they go "shopping".

What the hell is wrong with people???

Especially while this is an active, ongoing investigation and making headlines all over the country/world...

• Like 1

Every time I get in the hot car, I think of poor Cooper too. :(

Me too Blondie, :( this has saddened me so much that every time I get in a hot car think about the fact that Cooper's

life was cut short by someone that did not deserve to have that beautiful baby. :cray:

• Like 2

This was on ABC news.

According to their information a child will succumb in about 10-12 minutes of the soaring, stiffling temperature in the car. If that is true, then the baby died shortly after being left. So yes, there was a stench in the car by the time the dad got into it that afternooon.

They also said 17 children have died so far this season. 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDaMYuB6vM

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/Attorney-Coopers-death-has-been-devastating-fo/nggDs/

<snip>

ATLANTA —

The lawyer representing a Cobb County mother whose husband is accused of intentionally leaving their 22-month-old son in a hot car to die, told Channel 2 Action News that Leanna Harris is living every parent’s worst nightmare and is asking people to respect her privacy.

“The child she bore and loved every moment of his life has died,” attorney Lawrence Zimmerman said in a statement sent to Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik. “For most parents, it is difficult, if not impossible, to comprehend such a thing. But for Leanna, that nightmare is all too real. She will never again be able to tuck him into bed at night and return later to check on him.”

“She mourns Cooper’s death deeply, in her own private way. She takes comfort from a strong faith in God, but the loss is still overwhelming. Getting through each day seems almost impossible,” Zimmerman’s statement said.

“Dealing with her grief has become more difficult as the days go on, however, in large part because of the constant speculation and innuendo in the media. Newspapers, television and online media have fostered a poisonous atmosphere in which Leanna’s every word, action and emotion -- or failure to cry in front of a crowd -- is scrutinized for some supposed hidden meaning. In much the same way, the press unjustly harassed and hounded Olympic bombing hero Richard Jewell when he didn’t behave as some thought he should,” the statement added.

Zimmerman questioned why reporters have delved into Leanna Harris' past, including her upbringing, her job and her sex life.

“For Leanna, Cooper’s death has been devastating,” Zimmerman wrote. “She asks that she be allowed to grieve in private without reporters calling, following or watching her home. Since his death, she has been unable to have that time of mourning that every bereaved parent needs. Please allow her the dignity to mourn her son in private.”

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/Attorney-Coopers-death-has-been-devastating-fo/nggDs/

<snip>

ATLANTA —

The lawyer representing a Cobb County mother whose husband is accused of intentionally leaving their 22-month-old son in a hot car to die, told Channel 2 Action News that Leanna Harris is living every parent’s worst nightmare and is asking people to respect her privacy.

“The child she bore and loved every moment of his life has died,” attorney Lawrence Zimmerman said in a statement sent to Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik. “For most parents, it is difficult, if not impossible, to comprehend such a thing. But for Leanna, that nightmare is all too real. She will never again be able to tuck him into bed at night and return later to check on him.”

“She mourns Cooper’s death deeply, in her own private way. She takes comfort from a strong faith in God, but the loss is still overwhelming. Getting through each day seems almost impossible,” Zimmerman’s statement said.

“Dealing with her grief has become more difficult as the days go on, however, in large part because of the constant speculation and innuendo in the media. Newspapers, television and online media have fostered a poisonous atmosphere in which Leanna’s every word, action and emotion -- or failure to cry in front of a crowd -- is scrutinized for some supposed hidden meaning. In much the same way, the press unjustly harassed and hounded Olympic bombing hero Richard Jewell when he didn’t behave as some thought he should,” the statement added.

Zimmerman questioned why reporters have delved into Leanna Harris' past, including her upbringing, her job and her sex life.

“For Leanna, Cooper’s death has been devastating,” Zimmerman wrote. “She asks that she be allowed to grieve in private without reporters calling, following or watching her home. Since his death, she has been unable to have that time of mourning that every bereaved parent needs. Please allow her the dignity to mourn her son in private.”

A few thoughts come to mind.

1. Perhaps she, if she did, should not have authorized the donation fund.

That opens you up to questions about motive, at the very least, where money is concerned.

2. Perhaps she should have banned the media from the baby's funeral.

I know that you can have a closed, private, funeral.

3. "She will never again be able to tuck him into bed at night and return later to check on him.”

But the upside is, she won't have to deal with those pesky high school years.

Boo Hoo.

She knew.

I can't help but wonder.......

I don't wonder. There's not a doubt in my mind that she knew. Looking at what we know so far, it is incomprehensible to me that she didn't know.

• 4 weeks later...

Not what a lot of people were expecting to hear:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/mother-child-left-die-hot-car-says-she-misses-her-/ngyBT/?nmredir=true&__federated=1

Attorney: Leanna Harris isn't a suspect in son Cooper's death

COBB COUNTY, Ga. The Cobb County District Attorneys Office has requested a victims impact statement from the mother of a toddler whose father is now charged with leaving him to die in a hot car, signaling, her attorney believes, that prosecutors dont intend to charge her with a crime.

I hope it is getting put out there to make her really relaxed and then she gets blindsided :spiteful:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it on the news. And she may get away with it, but I believe she's just as guilty.

Boo Hoo, she can't get any privacy because she was married to a pervert. AND he killed forgot the baby, in a hot car.

• Like 1