Paulding.com

Father who left child in hot car charged with murder

This is just so sad. Hearing of this too often. Sounds like it was accident on the father's part. I'm sure he's devastated.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/father-who-left-child-hot-car-charged-murder/ngNzp/?nmredir=true

COBB COUNTY, Ga. The man who is accused of leaving his child in a hot car has been charged with murder.

Justin Ross Harris, 33, was charged with felony murder and cruelty to children in the first degree. He is being held at the Cobb County Jail with no bond Thursday.

According to Cobb County police, Harris was supposed to take his 22-month-old to day care around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Police said the father forgot and left his child inside his vehicle while he went to work.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents worth, which in reality, isn't really worth 2 cents. IF, the father checks out to have been a good father, no issues other than this one (which granted i

I think they want to make an example of this guy.   Felony murder?   That is ridiculous and I doubt it will hold up.   If I had done this, and it was my only child, I would never make it to tria

I am so tired of hearing about all of these cases where people are forgetting their children in the car. It seems that most are people that don't normally have the children and forget to drop them off

I think they want to make an example of this guy.

Felony murder?

That is ridiculous and I doubt it will hold up.

If I had done this, and it was my only child, I would never make it to trial - I could not live with myself.

• Like 7

Felony murder?

If I had done this, and it was my only child, I would never make it to trial - I could not live with myself.

I agree that felony murder is a bit much. I definitely don't think they will be able to get him on that charge. Something like child endangerment or neglect maybe, but not felony murder.

I would never be able to live with myself either.

It's an ELECTION year. Is the Cobb DA running??????

They might get a conviction on as much as involuntary manslaughter.

Unless.......in his interrogation he said just one word about the child in what could be taken as a derogatory manner.

I am so tired of hearing about all of these cases where people are forgetting their children in the car. It seems that most are people that don't normally have the children and forget to drop them off at daycare/school. When I was a kid, if you didn't how up at school,your parents received a phone call. How hard would it be for the schools/daycares to call a parent at say 9:00 if the child is not dropped off. How many lives could be saved?

• Like 6

I am so tired of hearing about all of these cases where people are forgetting their children in the car. It seems that most are people that don't normally have the children and forget to drop them off at daycare/school. When I was a kid, if you didn't how up at school,your parents received a phone call. How hard would it be for the schools/daycares to call a parent at say 9:00 if the child is not dropped off. How many lives could be saved?

I see your point, but it is not the responsibility of the daycare to make sure that adults are doing what they are supposed to do.

I doubt that any parent (save a few terrible ones) would ever intentionally leave their kid in the car all day, and it is terrible that this has happened and my heart goes out to the parents and the family.

But there must be a reason this happened.

People are so self-involved, so consumed in their immediate actions that they become oblivious to everything else.

And if a parent is not used to having the child with them, or for being responsible for getting the child to daycare - or if the child is spending the majority of time in daycare, then the parent(s) are already doing that child a disservice.

It is a tragedy all around.

• Like 1
For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents worth, which in reality, isn't really worth 2 cents.

IF, the father checks out to have been a good father, no issues other than this one (which granted is a major one), then I say no charges.

I am sure many will disagree and I can understand why they disagree, but that is my 2 cents worth.
  • Like 10

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents worth, which in reality, isn't really worth 2 cents.
IF, the father checks out to have been a good father, no issues other than this one (which granted is a major one), then I say no charges.
I am sure many will disagree and I can understand why they disagree, but that is my 2 cents worth.

I agree with you.

As this was his child, he will suffer the consequences of his mistake for the rest of his life.

Punishment enough.

If, by being otherwise occupied, he ran over someone else's child, then some type of punishment should result.

• Like 1

Felony murder?

I agree - a murder charge is too much. They would have to put me in a mental ward.

• Like 1

I also agree with you.

Here is a long but interesting article about how and why this can happen.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

Edited by jenilyn

I still have a hard time understanding how it can happen, BUT, I know it has and does happen and to reasonable seeming people.

As bad as the ex-wife and I had it trying to make it work as a couple, we both would dbl check behind each other when it came to making sure the kid got to where he was supposed to be.

Both when he was little and up through high school.

I never took it wrong when she followed up with me and even though she had other crap to yell about during the call, she never took my following up wrong.

I guess what I am trying to say is, follow up, just to be on the safe side.

What can it take, literately 15-30 seconds, including the dialing and ringing of the phone?

• Like 2

Having to pay for an attorney and a funeral. What a nightmare. At least let him bury his kid first.

If someone talks to me while I'm getting ready in the morning and disrupts my routine I will forget a step (deoderant, or mascara, or grab my coffee cup off the counter). We are all so distracted, so hard to keep our asses covered these days. I can see how this happens. What I can't see is any intent. I hope the DA knows something we don't, that this dad was committing the crime of the century, that the dad planned this. If not, damn. Just damn. No winners here.

• Like 2

When I heard this today it pissed me off at the Cobb Justice System. The guy made a terrible mistake. One which I totally understand having been running wide open the last couple of months. But I saw on the news this morning where some drunk that had killed a woman while DUI was out on bond and the dumb SOB got another DUI.

I think they might be charging him and holding him with no bail to keep him from committing suicide. If not, someone should slap the she-at out of the D.A..

• Like 3

When I heard this today it pissed me off at the Cobb Justice System. The guy made a terrible mistake. One which I totally understand having been running wide open the last couple of months. But I saw on the news this morning where some drunk that had killed a woman while DUI was out on bond and the dumb SOB got another DUI.

I think they might be charging him and holding him with no bail to keep him from committing suicide. If not, someone should slap the she-at out of the D.A..

There's gotta be something wrong with the Cobb County DA when you hear of these two seperate instances. What are they smoking over there?

That might be it.

I hope that is it.

Having to pay for an attorney and a funeral. What a nightmare. At least let him bury his kid first.

If someone talks to me while I'm getting ready in the morning and disrupts my routine I will forget a step (deoderant, or mascara, or grab my coffee cup off the counter). We are all so distracted, so hard to keep our asses covered these days. I can see how this happens. What I can't see is any intent. I hope the DA knows something we don't, that this dad was committing the crime of the century, that the dad planned this. If not, damn. Just damn. No winners here.

The one article said that he dropped one child at day care. So how do you forget the 2nd child?

Susan Ashton considering he dropped off one child and simply just forgot about the other one??? I hope the charges stick.

10376262_586026411513140_388316427636710
  • Like 1

I'm going to reserve judgment because I wasn't there and neither was Facebook and I won't be on the jury. Maybe he just usually dropped off one child, I have no idea. Maybe he was late or tired or stressed or just stupid. I don't know the people, won't pretend I am grieving, not going to say I cried my eyes out. It's sad and disturbing to think about, but I don't need another person's tragedy to feed from, too many do that as it is.

I view it as a cautionary tale to slow down, breathe, and concentrate on what is really important.

I still like to think nobody would knowingly bake their own child.

• Like 5

The one article said that he dropped one child at day care. So how do you forget the 2nd child?

Susan Ashton considering he dropped off one child and simply just forgot about the other one??? I hope the charges stick.

Even if this is true, I can still believe the guy's story. I mean his reaction, according to witnesses, is not something I'd expect of a "murderer".

I don't think it's a stretch to think the guy was rushing. Left the house well after 8 and was on his way home a few minutes after 4....those are atypical hours for a corporate environment (9-4).

mrnn

I think that they will eventually lessen the charges against the dad. The news explained the felony murder charge as being mandatory anytime it follows a cruelty to children charge, regardless of intent but based only on negligence.

As for his routine being off as a reason for overlooking the child in the car...the news said he was supposed to drop the child off at the daycare at his place of employment. That would imply that taking the little boy to daycare was a regular routine for him.

I will not presume to know how this came to happen. I grieve for every person involved, but most of all to that precious child, who did not ask to be brought into the world, and who was powerless to save itself.

And as a comment in general - this culture just does not value human life. If a person were out of their usual routine by having to ferry POTUS around all day and see him to a certain spot, that person would not forget they had POTUS in the back seat, no matter if they had little sleep, too much stress, etc. If a person were out of their usual routine by having to ferry a priceless Ming vase with them safely to a certain spot, that person would not throw it in the back seat, and then forget it and leave the car unlocked without seeing it safely to the appointed spot. How much more valuable are children than these two examples?

I am not condemning him. I do not know how this came to be. I just know it's a tragedy all the way around.

• Like 1

How do you forget the second child? How about you have three projects that you are juggling and they all have deadlines that are quickly approaching and you also have two more projects that you are prepping for the following week and your cell phone rings about two miles from the day care with one of your clients wanting to add 10 things to the proposal that is due tomorrow so you are now driving and trying to take notes while talking on your cell phone..........................all the while, the most important thing in your life is sleeping silently in the back seat and it never occurs to you that he is back there until you start home and suddenly you can't remember dropping him off at day care this morning.

God help this poor man.

• Like 3

I will not presume to know how this came to happen. I grieve for every person involved, but most of all to that precious child, who did not ask to be brought into the world, and who was powerless to save itself.

And as a comment in general - this culture just does not value human life. If a person were out of their usual routine by having to ferry POTUS around all day and see him to a certain spot, that person would not forget they had POTUS in the back seat, no matter if they had little sleep, too much stress, etc. If a person were out of their usual routine by having to ferry a priceless Ming vase with them safely to a certain spot, that person would not throw it in the back seat, and then forget it and leave the car unlocked without seeing it safely to the appointed spot. How much more valuable are children than these two examples?

I am not condemning him. I do not know how this came to be. I just know it's a tragedy all the way around.

I agree a million percent. How could you forget your child? But having said that, FELONY murder? SERIOUSLY?! Unless they have evidence that this man wanted his child dead or had intent when he left him in the car, how stupid does the DA look in pressing these charges? Pretty stupid, I'm thinkin'.

This man has sentenced himself to a life in the purest form of He!!, adding a felony to it is absurd.

• Like 1

The sad truth is, had it been his cell phone he would have remembered it.

I cannot imagine the horrible death that baby had. I also cannot imagine the hell this Father will go through.

May God help them all. They will need it.

I cannot imagine the horrible death that baby had. I also cannot imagine the hell this Father will go through.

Yep. This is a horrible situation. I always wonder how your spouse can ever look at you again, I'm not sure I could forgive this.

Not my wife, she forgets that everywhere.

Along with her keys.

Smart lady, but when it comes to forgetting, she is very good at it.

Sad but if the story had been about a dog left in a car and died the same people who are saying poor poor Dad would be ready to string him up.

A few thoughts come to mind.

One, you may be right.

Two, but that could be because most dogs when the car stops, try like heck to get out, so you don't forget them, you deliberately leave them.

And if it turns out that this kid was deliberately left, then I am ready to string him up.

Three, if someone did accidentally leave a dog in the car this way, I would hope they would feel guilt and feel bad, but the level of guilt and remorse and other emotions could not come close what it would be if it was your kid.

It would be hard to come back from a mistake like that.

• Like 5

Yep. This is a horrible situation. I always wonder how your spouse can ever look at you again, I'm not sure I could forgive this.

I think I would have to go ahead and put him out of his misery. It would probably happen right about the first time he wanted to have sex with me after the incident. The manner of death would be much harder to explain as being an accident, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I think I would have to go ahead and put him out of his misery. It would probably happen right about the first time he wanted to have sex with me after the incident. The manner of death would be much harder to explain as being an accident, I'm afraid.

"The knife just slipped."

Mental note: don't piss off TNlamb.

low - Recent stories haven't mentioned the 2nd kid. Weird, I thought.

stradial - I feel sicker and sicker.

Sorry, I thought I read somewhere there was one dropped off already.

I guess what I don't understand is why was there not a follow up call from the wife making sure the baby was dropped off. I've done it before. Its what we as concerned and caring families do

And I will say this, when I got my 2YO grandson to watch, I prayed that I wouldn't forget he was in the car. It had been so long since I had taken care of a 2 YO BABY that I was afraid it could happen to me. I made a routine with him to keep him vibrant and talking and singing. I can see how you could forget if it was not part of your routine..

And then on the news tonight, the chief is telling us there is more to the story than we know.