Paulding.com

speaking of dfcs - NINE reports to them about murdered child

So, DFCS had nine (NINE) reports about abuse and neglect of 5yo Heaven Woods, who was murdered in May at the hands of her mother's boyfriend (mother and bf are both under arrest for murder and other charges). First report was March of 2009; the last was three weeks before her death. So they had reports on her for her entire little life. I am sickened and heartbroken.

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/rome/news/local/dfcs-had-contact-with-heaven-woods-times-before-her-death/article_dc34cdfc-f675-11e3-b649-0017a43b2370.html.

Probably one of the many reasons the Governor is making changes in that department. Think I read that he was bringing it into his office like he did the labor dept. in Georgia. Think they are changing the way they look at the family unit in cases like this one.

I believe it's the opinion of most good Americans that Government intrusion into the private lives of families is already out of control and any attempt at protecting the children of these "people" who are probably already a burden to society is just a waste of taxpayer dollars that could be better used in bringing down the price of gasoline or lowering property taxes.

Market driven solutions are the only answer and government just needs to get out of the way.

• Like 1

I believe it's the opinion of most good Americans that Government intrusion into the private lives of families is already out of control and any attempt at protecting the children of these "people" who are probably already a burden to society is just a waste of taxpayer dollars that could be better used in bringing down the price of gasoline or lowering property taxes.

Market driven solutions are the only answer and government just needs to get out of the way.

In this instance, sarcasm does not become you. In a perfect world, yes, I would say government doesn't belong in family situations, and that extended family/church/whoever should (and would) step in and take care of the problem. However, we are not only not in a perfect world, we aren't even in anywhere near a good world. Government does have its uses, and this would be one of them.

• Like 6

I believe it's the opinion of most good Americans that government has its place, has its proper obligations - and should stick to them.

Also, I believe one must be well deprived of intelligence to suggest that limited government equates to no government, based on the sarcastic opinion that you have presented here.

Further, I believe that this case, as sad as it may be, is an indictment on the ability of government, and illustrates the fact that government (at all levels) has gotten too big to properly fulfill its proper obligations.

Based on your comment, I would suggest they invest in continuing education - it is obviously needed.

• Like 4

This system has been broken for YEARS. Many of the case workers are disinterested and always underpaid. THEY do not have the children as a priority. You can't possible have 9 or 10 reports and not take action. How do they sleep at night? To most of them; it is just a job; not a commitment.

This is not only heartbreaking but also quite disturbing as well. I hope to see great improvements within this broken system. I get tired of hearing of these cases that seem to slip through the cracks.

RIP dear child.

Probably one of the many reasons the Governor is making changes in that department. Think I read that he was bringing it into his office like he did the labor dept. in Georgia. Think they are changing the way they look at the family unit in cases like this one.

Seems to me he has been vowing to fix that mess since he took office...and yet it seems to get worse with every passing day.

• Like 1

Seems to me he has been vowing to fix that mess since he took office...and yet it seems to get worse with every passing day.

That is why he is taking great steps to make sure changes happen to protect these children even if it means breaking up the family unit.

The problem is mei lan I don't think you really get the concept of sarcasm.

In this instance, sarcasm does not become you. In a perfect world, yes, I would say government doesn't belong in family situations, and that extended family/church/whoever should (and would) step in and take care of the problem. However, we are not only not in a perfect world, we aren't even in anywhere near a good world. Government does have its uses, and this would be one of them.

Which was really the point of my comment.

• Like 1

The problem is mei lan I don't think you really get the concept of sarcasm.

Which was really the point of my comment.

Yeah, I got that part. I was just pointing out that not all conservatives think all government is evil and/or that there is no place for any government.

Same scenario with Eric Forbes. There were ten complaints made by educators in a year. My niece taught him and she, as well as the whole school and many others were devastated when he died.

My heart breaks for these kids and I've cried too many tears over them to count. So heartbreaking. :(

I also hope to see great changes made within this broken system, as Nina Britt said.

I hope these sweet angels finally have the peace in Heaven that they never had on earth.

Here's a link to his story:

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjw_PaRTtRsAV7IPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNzA1YWV1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1403301312/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fblogs.psychcentral.com%2fall-things%2f2013%2f10%2fthe-story-of-eric-forbes-when-parents-and-child-protection-services-fail%2f/RK=0/RS=qZHUi_1KaSyRa0KD32KvmAh1xSg-

So, DFCS had nine (NINE) reports about abuse and neglect of 5yo Heaven Woods, who was murdered in May at the hands of her mother's boyfriend (mother and bf are both under arrest for murder and other charges). First report was March of 2009; the last was three weeks before her death. So they had reports on her for her entire little life. I am sickened and heartbroken.

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/rome/news/local/dfcs-had-contact-with-heaven-woods-times-before-her-death/article_dc34cdfc-f675-11e3-b649-0017a43b2370.html.

Don't even get me started, nine reports and yet she was still with the very people who were hurting her. Her own grandmother turned her mother in and nothing was done. When a mother will turn her own daughter in to DFCS, the situation is BAD. Maybe if someone had done their job and realized that, we'd have one less abused, dead child in GA.

If I were in a situation like that, or the little black girl that died from starvation, being the grandmother and KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON, I would take the child. Then you can take me to court or whatever you want to do, but I would take my grandchild out of a deadly situation and deal with the consequences later. It just might have saved a life. I would deal with my child, the abuser, as well and dare him or her to come get the child.

• Like 4

If I were in a situation like that, or the little black girl that died from starvation, being the grandmother and KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON, I would take the child. Then you can take me to court or whatever you want to do, but I would take my grandchild out of a deadly situation and deal with the consequences later. It just might have saved a life. I would deal with my child, the abuser, as well and dare him or her to come get the child.

Damn skippy. DAMN. SKIPPY.

When I was a LEO, one assignment I had was as a child safety officer. If DFCS received a call about a child possibly being abused or in danger, they would call me and I would immediately go out and check out the situation. As a LEO, I had the authority to make an arrest if I saw evidence of child abuse and to turn the child over to DFCS. The DFCS personnel I worked with were pretty quick to call if they received a report.

I think it's imperative for DFCS and local police departments to work together like this as it can save a child's life.

• Like 3

Same scenario with Eric Forbes. There were ten complaints made by educators in a year. My niece taught him and she, as well as the whole school and many others were devastated when he died.

My heart breaks for these kids and I've cried too many tears over them to count. So heartbreaking. :(

I also hope to see great changes made within this broken system, as Nina Britt said.

I hope these sweet angels finally have the peace in Heaven that they never had on earth.

Here's a link to his story:

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjw_PaRTtRsAV7IPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNzA1YWV1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1403301312/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fblogs.psychcentral.com%2fall-things%2f2013%2f10%2fthe-story-of-eric-forbes-when-parents-and-child-protection-services-fail%2f/RK=0/RS=qZHUi_1KaSyRa0KD32KvmAh1xSg-

Oh, dear Lord. I just want to go throw up.