Paulding.com

Does Paulding Have Enough?

I would like to have a discussion regarding airport commercialization without all the crazy people jabbering on about nonsense. I'll play the guy that lists random thoughts with no real outcome and hope that other people can have a reasonable conversation based on that. Maybe stradial can play the guy that makes jokes that are strangely on topic and actually add to the conversation. Or, maybe no one gives a crap and this will go no where. That's fine, too.

No crazies allowed! You know who you are. Please do not participate in this thread.

Begin:

I've had people flying in specifically to come stay at my home in Paulding County, and they don't even search for "Dallas, GA" as their destination. I do not believe that multitudes of international passengers, or really passengers of any sort, will be coming to an airport here because there's nothing to come for and no easy way to get into the city.

Now, cargo planes to supply new factories would make sense because land is insanely cheap and business taxes are a dream here. We can have all the benefits for a business in the world here, but if they don't have a way to transport materials/goods then they won't come. It doesn't seem to me that Paulding County has too many jobs and couldn't use more for it's people. Sure, we'll have some people coming here from other areas to fill some of those positions, but the majority will almost certainly be filled by our own residents. That seems good to me.

These additional business and people coming to work here would be probably good for everyone because they all buy things, support our businesses, and pay taxes on their purchases.

Here's why I'm personally torn: I want there to be enough jobs and tax income without having to burden residents any more (myself particularly), but I don't want the area to grow too much. I mean, if we have all that we need now then airport commercialization is unnecessary and a bad idea to me. If we don't have all that we need now then it may be a tool to get what we lack. I guess I just don't know if we have all that we need to maintain our infrastructure and educate our kids or not.

• Like 4

I would like to have a discussion regarding airport commercialization without all the crazy people jabbering on about nonsense. I'll play the guy that lists random thoughts with no real outcome and hope that other people can have a reasonable conversation based on that. Maybe stradial can play the guy that makes jokes that are strangely on topic and actually add to the conversation. Or, maybe no one gives a crap and this will go no where. That's fine, too.

No crazies allowed! You know who you are. Please do not participate in this thread.

Begin:

I've had people flying in specifically to come stay at my home in Paulding County, and they don't even search for "Dallas, GA" as their destination. I do not believe that multitudes of international passengers, or really passengers of any sort, will be coming to an airport here because there's nothing to come for and no easy way to get into the city.

Now, cargo planes to supply new factories would make sense because land is insanely cheap and business taxes are a dream here. We can have all the benefits for a business in the world here, but if they don't have a way to transport materials/goods then they won't come. It doesn't seem to me that Paulding County has too many jobs and couldn't use more for it's people. Sure, we'll have some people coming here from other areas to fill some of those positions, but the majority will almost certainly be filled by our own residents. That seems good to me.

These additional business and people coming to work here would be probably good for everyone because they all buy things, support our businesses, and pay taxes on their purchases.

Here's why I'm personally torn: I want there to be enough jobs and tax income without having to burden residents any more (myself particularly), but I don't want the area to grow too much. I mean, if we have all that we need now then airport commercialization is unnecessary and a bad idea to me. If we don't have all that we need now then it may be a tool to get what we lack. I guess I just don't know if we have all that we need to maintain our infrastructure and educate our kids or not.

Well, you can't have it both ways. Some of the same people who don't want airport expansion are the same people who want more jobs for the residents of Paulding county. It seems logical that a small commercial airport would do just that.

Bottom line for me is that the airport is here and isn't going anywhere, lets attempt to make the best of it and compromise on it's use, so at least some revenue will come from it.

I still don't understand why it isn't being played up to the film industry. Movies are all over the place in and around Atlanta, even in Paulding county, and the idea that the actors, directors, production people, props, etc., could fly into a small, off the radar airport seems like a no brainer to me. There's hardly any traffic to fight and if they're going into Atlanta, it could be set up where they'd be going against traffic and make their trip a lot easier.

There could be car service and anything that would go along with transporting people and things. But I'm just a dumb girl, what do I know?

• Like 2

It is hard to think about commercialization of the airport in regard to supplying local manufacturing and/or distribution centers because they aren't here.

Further, even if those types of businesses were here, I cannot see where they would be satisfied with bringing materials in and shipping goods out entirely by air.

Even if people say, "well we can't be sure of that until we make it an option" . . . well that's is an expensive gamble.

Aside from 92, which is already too congested, and 278, which isn't much better, Paulding is pretty much an island where businesses are concerned.

What we need is some sort of "connector", if you will, that will make the transport of goods and/or materials to the interstate system possible.

That would require cooperation with the surrounding counties and/or intervention by the govt.

In sum, commercializing the airport does not make sense at this time.

• Like 9

If a company wants to come in and use THEIR money to build a business,by all means let them go for it.

But I will not stand for someone picking my pocket and being able to just walk away if caught.

That happened in Douglas County, Gone! The DA, got caught with his hand in the public cookie jar, and just walked away. :rofl:

If a company wants to come in and use THEIR money to build a business,by all means let them go for it.

But I will not stand for someone picking my pocket and being able to just walk away if caught.

I have no clue wtf you're talking about. It sounds like the crazy speak though. Begone demon spawn of the rhetoric devil! Your kind aren't welcome here.

It is hard to think about commercialization of the airport in regard to supplying local manufacturing and/or distribution centers because they aren't here.

Further, even if those types of businesses were here, I cannot see where they would be satisfied with bringing materials in and shipping goods out entirely by air.

Even if people say, "well we can't be sure of that until we make it an option" . . . well that's is an expensive gamble.

Aside from 92, which is already too congested, and 278, which isn't much better, Paulding is pretty much an island where businesses are concerned.

What we need is some sort of "connector", if you will, that will make the transport of goods and/or materials to the interstate system possible.

That would require cooperation with the surrounding counties and/or intervention by the govt.

In sum, commercializing the airport does not make sense at this time.

Right, I assumed that rail/air would be ideal for the manufacturing aspect, but the additional traffic that would undoubtedly come is certainly a factor.

My partner asked me once, "Why do companies insist on growing even though they're already huge and supply plenty for their people? What is it that they want?" I wonder the same thing about trees. They're huge and have reproduced but continue to insist on growing into the side of my house, so I chop them down. I would hate to see this area grow into something that it doesn't have to be just for the sake of doing it.

I have no clue wtf you're talking about. It sounds like the crazy speak though. Begone demon spawn of the rhetoric devil! Your kind aren't welcome here.

Yeah,you just want the commissioner to pat you on your head and say "it's alright,just believe in me"

Educate yourself you ignorant little sprite.

Do you believe that it's ok for someone to take your money to use as they see fit?

That they can give your money to someone else with no input from you?

In order to use the airport for cargo planes supplying manufacturering companies, Paulding needs manufacturing companies to locate here. Now the airport is an asset to develop an industrial manufacturing site. The problem I see right now is the economy. I think a regime change will help bounce things back if it isn't a regime that doesn't continue down the same destructive path we are currently on.

Begin:

The local airport as a destination will be limited in the beginning. It always will be. That is what advertising is about. The reality is that if you plug in 'Atlanta to NY' ... you'll get flight listings that include La Guardia, JFK, Newark, etc. in the listing options you'd typically organize from low to high cost. When the flights are there, they will be listed.

It is incumbent upon the consumer to choose which airport and I suspect if they're coming to Dallas or Marietta and know anything about the area, they'd recognize it. If not, they may ask the question 'where is this' ... and if their final destination was Jonesboro, GA, they'd choose HJIA anyway. But if it were Canton or Marietta or Cartersville ... they may choose the flight here.

From that point on, it is word of mouth.

The general aviation aspects are the long-term ten-twenty year program. Know the world is going through changes as well and while I don't see an apocalyptic world of zombies and roving bands of bandits; the growth that has been the norm of most of my life (post WWII) may be in the midst of being altered. You can call it the third industrial revolution or see it as a world dominated by the INternet of things ... but the idea of 400 people putting together widgets is not the future here or just about anywhere. Maybe 20 people maintaining 4000 robots that are doing the widget thing ... and that is why transportation remains a viable resource for capturing growth in the future.

And transporting people - give that what we have a lot of here particularly in comparison to manufactured goods in Paulding is people - transporting them is certainly a viable and long-term thing we could do.

But I do want to bring up one other thing for you to gnaw on inconcivable.

I think as others have pointed out we've got 92 and 278. Did you know that in 2011 there was an effort to bring a four-lane toll road through the county that would connect I-75, I-85 and I-20 and provide a western by-pass around Atlanta. And did you know that there was billions lined up for a public-private partnership with the private partners providing the cash for the venture? Did you know that Paulding County was the lead player in this and hoped to form a regional authority with other counties?

Did you know that the NIMBY's were as vocal if not more vocal about this limited access, high-speed conduit through the county that would have addressed our counties greatest challenge - access and transportation?

As far as the 'dire need' - whether it exists or not - let me say the answer to that question is in the ratios seen in the county's property tax digest.

In Cobb County, commercial and industrial property is over 55% of the total valuation of the digest. Similar ratios 45-55 percent exist in most of the other metropolitan counties.... except, of course, Paulding, where the NIMBY's rule. Back in 2004 when this was being brought forth in the community, the percentage was 15 percent ... I can't say whether it is 14.5 percent or 16% today but it really has not budged appreciably even with efforts like Interroll and the Hospital.

The NIMBY's are against everything in the county except lower taxes and the only use they would like to see taxes paid for would be to build a wall around the county to keep out any further development (residential as well as commercial.) Their two favorite letters - some of them I think would like trim the alphabet down to only two letters - are "n" and "o" ... and what don't you understand about NO.

pubby

I think as others have pointed out we've got 92 and 278. Did you know that in 2011 there was an effort to bring a four-lane toll road through the county that would connect I-75, I-85 and I-20 and provide a western by-pass around Atlanta. And did you know that there was billions lined up for a public-private partnership with the private partners providing the cash for the venture? Did you know that Paulding County was the lead player in this and hoped to form a regional authority with other counties?

Did you know that the NIMBY's were as vocal if not more vocal about this limited access, high-speed conduit through the county that would have addressed our counties greatest challenge - access and transportation?

pubby

Why would anyone want a four lane in their backyard with no access...............ohhhhh,for the money,but even a prostitute gets some satisfaction in her business ventures.

Let me make it simple.

If I choose to construct a trail in my backyard and allow other to use it for a fee,I am going to use it also.

Good grief,if you people want all this why don't you move to a place where it already exists?

• Like 5

Why would anyone want a four lane in their backyard with no access...............ohhhhh,for the money,but even a prostitute gets some satisfaction in her business ventures.

Let me make it simple.

If I choose to construct a trail in my backyard and allow other to use it for a fee,I am going to use it also.

Good grief,if you people want all this why don't you move to a place where it already exists?

How silly of us to not grasp you want a curb cut so you can drive directly onto the limited-access, high-speed toll road free and risk a semi-tractor traveling at 80mph whacking you broadside as you make a trip to the local beer joint.

I would never have guessed that anyone wants personal access to a limited access highway designed to move people safely - a lot more safely than open-access highways with hundreds of driveway cuts.

I mean we've been construction safer, limited-access highways for some many years and they've always had controlled interchanges because those kinds of traffic controls are ultimately safer and allow for faster, more efficient transportation services.

pubby

Inconceivable: Things I thought were inconceivable are, in fact conceivable. I actually think that scientists should study this county in search of that physically elusive bit of matter called 'anti-matter' ... We must have a supply of it here given how anti many of the natives and long-term residents are.

How silly of us to not grasp you want a curb cut so you can drive directly onto the limited-access, high-speed toll road free and risk a semi-tractor traveling at 80mph whacking you broadside as you make a trip to the local beer joint.

I would never have guessed that anyone wants personal access to a limited access highway designed to move people safely - a lot more safely than open-access highways with hundreds of driveway cuts.

I mean we've been construction safer, limited-access highways for some many years and they've always had controlled interchanges because those kinds of traffic controls are ultimately safer and allow for faster, more efficient transportation services.

pubby

You have no idea how much I hate myself when I agree with you.

I need a shower . . .

• Like 3

Dallas itself isn't a travel destination, obviously. But just as the Braves are relocating to a NW burb because of population, so to can a small commercial airport be successful in a NW burb. Silver Comet would provide a solid alternative to popular destinations that would save a large portion of the northern ATL metro the pain of commuting to, and navigating through, HJIA. Not to mention, the prices that a discount airline can offer out of a smaller airport will further increase demand.

So while you're correct that there won't be millions of people flocking to Dallas to check out the theater or our tunnels, there will be thousands of ATL folks looking to travel out of Paulding to go to Orlando, Vegas, NYC, etc.

mrnn

I maybe crazy but I am not sure ? ? ?

:crazy:

Oh you're definitely crazy. :p

Dallas itself isn't a travel destination, obviously. But just as the Braves are relocating to a NW burb because of population, so to can a small commercial airport be successful in a NW burb. Silver Comet would provide a solid alternative to popular destinations that would save a large portion of the northern ATL metro the pain of commuting to, and navigating through, HJIA. Not to mention, the prices that a discount airline can offer out of a smaller airport will further increase demand.

So while you're correct that there won't be millions of people flocking to Dallas to check out the theater or our tunnels, there will be thousands of ATL folks looking to travel out of Paulding to go to Orlando, Vegas, NYC, etc.

mrnn

Yeah.....I heard from Animal that the Tunnels weren't being opened up to tourism after all.

Too bad really. :(

mrnn

I think there would have to be light rail access for that to happen at all because ITP people almost never, ever leave the perimeter unless it's in a craft being operated by a person other than themselves. Connecting light rail won't happen anytime in most of our lifetimes because: 1. ATL is not the brightest bunch when it comes to mass-transit (they're busy trying to convert the city to biking, walking, & streetcars right now); 2. The line would have to go through Douglass & Cobb Counties.

Basically, why would anyone drive an hour out here just to pay parking when they can hope on MARTA for $2.50 and be dropped off inside the "fancy" airport in 20 minutes? Cheaper airfares, perhaps, but people that can afford to live downtown and are flying places aren't concerned with saving $50 - $150 on a ticket if it means leaving the city.

MAYBE some people to/from the northern burbs, but if that's an airline's target market then they have McCollum, which is wide open for negotiations. The first sentence on the Cobb site for McCollum says, "Cobb County Airport - McCollum Field is a major general aviation reliever airport for Hartsfield-Jackson Airport." Seems if airlines were interested then they'd already be there.

I still think that the vast majority of service would be cargo flights, but I'm not a city planner (thank goodness for at least one wise life decision on my part). Cargo from where to where is a question. I can't even figure out if the ability to land a cargo plane is the cart or the horse. I guess if there's at least a couple companies promising to pump a bunch of money into the local economy if they can land a plane here then it's a horse. If our county officials just want to make the airport bigger because there's a surplus in the bank then it's more like the crosswalks that run into ditches that are at every light.

Edited by Inconceivable

The local airport as a destination will be limited in the beginning. It always will be. That is what advertising is about. The reality is that if you plug in 'Atlanta to NY' ... you'll get flight listings that include La Guardia, JFK, Newark, etc. in the listing options you'd typically organize from low to high cost. When the flights are there, they will be listed.

It is incumbent upon the consumer to choose which airport and I suspect if they're coming to Dallas or Marietta and know anything about the area, they'd recognize it. If not, they may ask the question 'where is this' ... and if their final destination was Jonesboro, GA, they'd choose HJIA anyway. But if it were Canton or Marietta or Cartersville ... they may choose the flight here.

From that point on, it is word of mouth.

The general aviation aspects are the long-term ten-twenty year program. Know the world is going through changes as well and while I don't see an apocalyptic world of zombies and roving bands of bandits; the growth that has been the norm of most of my life (post WWII) may be in the midst of being altered. You can call it the third industrial revolution or see it as a world dominated by the INternet of things ... but the idea of 400 people putting together widgets is not the future here or just about anywhere. Maybe 20 people maintaining 4000 robots that are doing the widget thing ... and that is why transportation remains a viable resource for capturing growth in the future.

And transporting people - give that what we have a lot of here particularly in comparison to manufactured goods in Paulding is people - transporting them is certainly a viable and long-term thing we could do.

But I do want to bring up one other thing for you to gnaw on inconcivable.

As far as the 'dire need' - whether it exists or not - let me say the answer to that question is in the ratios seen in the county's property tax digest.

In Cobb County, commercial and industrial property is over 55% of the total valuation of the digest. Similar ratios 45-55 percent exist in most of the other metropolitan counties.... except, of course, Paulding, where the NIMBY's rule. Back in 2004 when this was being brought forth in the community, the percentage was 15 percent ... I can't say whether it is 14.5 percent or 16% today but it really has not budged appreciably even with efforts like Interroll and the Hospital.

The NIMBY's are against everything in the county except lower taxes and the only use they would like to see taxes paid for would be to build a wall around the county to keep out any further development (residential as well as commercial.) Their two favorite letters - some of them I think would like trim the alphabet down to only two letters - are "n" and "o" ... and what don't you understand about NO.

pubby

And if you further recall the chain of events, by the time we had a town hall meeting about the toll road, with many NIMBYs in attendance, it was irrelevant as the Carroll and Douglas Commissions had already turned it down cold.

I for one was all for it, but if it can't go to at least 20, and really to 85, then its irrelevant.

So Pubby, don't blame our Nimbys for this one, it was dead before we got seriously involved.

• Like 2

pubby

Inconceivable: Things I thought were inconceivable are, in fact conceivable. I actually think that scientists should study this county in search of that physically elusive bit of matter called 'anti-matter' ... We must have a supply of it here given how anti many of the natives and long-term residents are.

Why do you move into a county that has none of the things you want?.......There are plenty of houses in Cobb,you could move there and help pay for the braves............Then you could lobby to make McCollum a commercial airport

• Like 2

Why do you move into a county that has none of the things you want?.......There are plenty of houses in Cobb,you could move there and help pay for the braves............Then you could lobby to make McCollum a commercial airport

Amen and Amen!

Surepip:

Paulding doesn't have a 'corner' on the NIMBY population. There are NIMBY's everywhere ...

Tundra:

Dare you to a general election for a real count. The people that want to dispense with the three-hour daily commute didn't vote May 20th ... they were still on the road. Anything, including a toll road that might make it easier for them to get home earlier (in time to vote) is what the NIMBYs are against.

pubby

Tundra:

Dare you to a general election for a real count. The people that want to dispense with the three-hour daily commute didn't vote May 20th ... they were still on the road. Anything, including a toll road that might make it easier for them to get home earlier (in time to vote) is what the NIMBYs are against.

pubby

You sure about that ? ? ? There were about 400 angry residents at that toll road meeting...

Sure Anything, including a toll road that might make it easier for them to get home earlier (in time to vote) is what the NIMBYs are against.

pubby

Yeah,that's why we didn't want it,you figured us out...................My God,what a genius you must think you are.

You sure about that ? ? ? There were about 400 angry residents at that toll road meeting...

It wouldn't matter if there were 1000,pubby thinks it's a good thing so everyone else is wrong.

What difference does it make? You/we of Paulding, can scream to the high heavens and it will fall on deaf ears. It's going to happen, so we don't have a choice in the matter. If it doesn't happen, then you/we lucked out, for the simple fact that someone in the shadows came out and played Zorro, Batman, or better yet, Peter Pan. Stole from the rich and gave to the poor! :)

• Like 3

What difference does it make? You/we of Paulding, can scream to the high heavens and it will fall on deaf ears. It's going to happen, so we don't have a choice in the matter. If it doesn't happen, then you/we lucked out, for the simple fact that someone in the shadows came out and played Zorro, Batman, or better yet, Peter Pan. Stole from the rich and gave to the poor! :)

Are you talking about me? :rofl:

Edited by El Zorro
  • Like 1

Surepip:

Paulding doesn't have a 'corner' on the NIMBY population. There are NIMBY's everywhere ...

Tundra:

pubby

Was the one cent Transportation SPLOST held during the General election.... Whatever it failed miserably and folks have more opportunities to vote now than ever before.

lol, I'm an NIMBY and have never claimed to be sane so I guess I am precluded from posting in this thread other than to say---- NO to commercialization, NO to toll road, NO to transfer facility behind Hiram Elementary and NO to an incinerator in W Paulding... NO NO NO!!!!

• Like 3

Surepip:

Tundra:

pubby

Unless things have changed, I was under the impression that employers had to let employees leave work or come in late to vote with no disciplinary action against said employee..?...

I may be wrong. It sure wouldnt be the first or last time...

Surepip:

Tundra:

pubby

Unless things have changed, I was under the impression that employers had to let employees leave work or come in late to vote with no disciplinary action against said employee..?...

I may be wrong. It sure wouldnt be the first or last time...

Not to mention the three weeks of early voting and Saturday voting.

I just can't figure out why people move to the country and want to bring the city here. Well, the cheaper taxes are appealing until they realize they just might have a commute to work.............not much for forethought, are they?

One type of people are those that realize they miss some of the things they move from, then fight to get them here, then complain because it is crowded, traffic sucks, and crime is on the rise.

These types of people will then move further out and the process will repeat itself.

Another type are those who want the tax money to provide what they feel the county needs and are willing to make some sacrifices.

Yet another type are those that also want the tax money to provide for what they feel the county needs, but are unwilling to make any sacrifice.

The last type are those that like the relative peace and quiet and are willing to have a second-rate county with sub-par services.

The first type are parasites and I do not care for them.

As for the other types, it seems that there should be some common ground where everyone would be happy, but maybe not.

One type of people are those that realize they miss some of the things they move from, then fight to get them here, then complain because it is crowded, traffic sucks, and crime is on the rise.

These types of people will then move further out and the process will repeat itself.

Another type are those who want the tax money to provide what they feel the county needs and are willing to make some sacrifices.

Yet another type are those that also want the tax money to provide for what they feel the county needs, but are unwilling to make any sacrifice.

The last type are those that like the relative peace and quiet and are willing to have a second-rate county with sub-par services.

The first type are parasites and I do not care for them.

As for the other types, it seems that there should be some common ground where everyone would be happy, but maybe not.

I was with you until you said second-rate and sub-par. I've lived here for 30 years and was completely happy with the way thing were. I moved here from the city, Chicago to be exact, and didn't miss one single thing about all those "conveniences". Drove to Northside Drive and Mt Paran road for the first year and 1/2, then to Chattahoochee and Atlanta Road for the next 4. I was perfectly content to leave all that behind for my little patch of peace and quiet with some of the best people I'd ever met...........I didn't buy a house til I could afford it, did it the conventional way with 20% down. Wouldn't change a thing.

I didn't come here to change things, never crossed my mind. I adapted to Paulding County, never expected it to adapt to me.

Edited by tundra

I was with you until you said second-rate and sub-par. I've lived here for 30 years and was completely happy with the way thing were. I moved here from the city, Chicago to be exact, and didn't miss one single thing about all those "conveniences". Drove to Northside Drive and Mt Paran road for the first year and 1/2, then to Chattahoochee and Atlanta Road for the next 4. I was perfectly content to leave all that behind for my little patch of peace and quiet with some of the best people I'd ever met...........I didn't buy a house til I could afford it, did it the conventional way with 20% down. Wouldn't change a thing.

I didn't come here to change things, never crossed my mind. I adapted to Paulding County, never expected it to adapt to me.

I know that me saying second-rate and sub-par is hard to take any other way than an insult.

What I meant by that is that without enough tax revenue (business/homeowners), the county cannot provide a substantial emergency response, it cannot provide libraries or schools, it could not even build and/or repair the roads it was responsible for.

Without those things (and others), there is no other way to put it.

• Like 2

I know that me saying second-rate and sub-par is hard to take any other way than an insult.

What I meant by that is that without enough tax revenue (business/homeowners), the county cannot provide a substantial emergency response, it cannot provide libraries or schools, it could not even build and/or repair the roads it was responsible for.

Without those things (and others), there is no other way to put it.

See we didn't need all those "things" until the flood gates got opened and everyone wanted those "things". Never had an emergency that wasn't handled promptly, one library was all we needed and the schools haven't really improved, no matter how many "new" ones they build. We just spend more money for less.

I wouldn't use the word brag...more like whine.

And who told you about my sex life...or lack there of?

(it's on the internet isn't it?)

Just on Facebook, no big deal, it's perfectly private. :D