Paulding.com

Special called meeting about Citizen Committee

Without any participation from citizens? WTH?

The Paulding County Board of Commissioners has called a Board of Commissioners Meeting scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, 2014, at The Watson Government Complex, 240 Constitution Blvd., Second Floor, Dallas, Georgia 30132. This will be an organizational meeting for the Board of Commissioners Citizen Study Committees for the Airport Authority and the Industrial Building Authority. This is a special called session, and the public is invited to attend however, there will be no public participation on any items.

http://www.paulding.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=527

Ok wasn't this requested by the Citizens for months and months in speech after speech? Now look what they are doing. This isn't going to be a citizen steering committee, it's going to be another authority. Appointed by the commissioners and the chamber? Why the chamber?

I guess they misunderstood or they just decided to do it their way, as usual. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy!!

• Like 1

So there is going to be a committee comprised of Austin's lackeys, reporting to Austin and his lackey's on the AA and IBA boards that do the bidding on Austin's lackeys on the BOC... I could puke, sounds like the citizens need to revolt and I just had an idea... hehe

• Like 7

And tundra, I guess you decided to complain simply because they didn't do it your way.

What else is new .... because the complaints certainly aren't.

pubby

Ahhhh shoot, I forgot. I'm supposed to sit down and shut up. The H*ll with the first amendment.

• Like 3

""The Paulding County Board of Commissioners has called a Board of Commissioners Meeting scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, 2014, at The Watson Government Complex, 240 Constitution Blvd., Second Floor, Dallas, Georgia 30132. This will be an organizational meeting for the Board of Commissioners Citizen Study Committees for the Airport Authority and the Industrial Building Authority. This is a special called session, and the public is invited to attend however, there will be no public participation on any items."

I am kinda slow, what exactly is the Board of Commissioners Citizen Study Committees for the Airport Authority ?

It sounds to me like it has average, Joe Blow, citizens on it.

""The Paulding County Board of Commissioners has called a Board of Commissioners Meeting scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, 2014, at The Watson Government Complex, 240 Constitution Blvd., Second Floor, Dallas, Georgia 30132. This will be an organizational meeting for the Board of Commissioners Citizen Study Committees for the Airport Authority and the Industrial Building Authority. This is a special called session, and the public is invited to attend however, there will be no public participation on any items."

I am kinda slow, what exactly is the Board of Commissioners Citizen Study Committees for the Airport Authority ?

It sounds to me like it has average, Joe Blow, citizens on it.

These Citizens study committees are more than likely comprised of carefully selected individuals who will come to the conclusion that legislation needs to be introduced to expand the IBAs scope and responsibility and that the Airport Authority needs bonding capability to in debt taxpayers for all the non FAA reimbursable infrastructure that comes with a commercial airport....

• Like 3

Yes, and the citizen group is seeking to organize themselves.

You do know that Todd gets to appoint someone of his choosing ( you mean its not you???) so I suspect that someone from your group will be appointed.

I think that's part of what they're trying to avoid is people in the audience complaining because this person was chosen and not that one as the citizen group has a big enough task ahead without making that 10 person committee a 30 person conglomeration. Since they are citizens actually trying to accomplish something I don't think they need much input from other citizens telling them how to be citizens on a citizens advisory board.

pubby

PS: I suspect that among the things the citizens committee will decide is how it will take input from other citizens not on the committee but since they haven't even been sworn or met for the first time, there can be no policy on that until after they meet. Surely, you grasp that they need to get organized before they even consider deciding things like that ...

You do know that Todd gets to appoint someone of his choosing ( you mean its not you???) so I suspect that someone from your group will be appointed.

I think that's part of what they're trying to avoid is people in the audience complaining because this person was chosen and not that one as the citizen group has a big enough task ahead without making that 10 person committee a 30 person conglomeration. Since they are citizens actually trying to accomplish something I don't think they need much input from other citizens telling them how to be citizens on a citizens advisory board.

pubby

PS: I suspect that among the things the citizens committee will decide is how it will take input from other citizens not on the committee but since they haven't even been sworn or met for the first time, there can be no policy on that until after they meet. Surely, you grasp that they need to get organized before they even consider deciding things like that ...

As far as I am concerned, its a ruse, designed to ram as much change to benefit them and theirs before Jan 1....... Guess we'll find out Thursday.

• Like 3

Both of the laws governing these two authorities worked just fine until this commission attempted to force the Commercial airport down the throats of the citizens.

Both of these two authorities should be eliminated and the duties and responsibilities of these two authorities should be returned to the commissioners who are elected to allocate/spend tax dollars.

No appointed authorities should have the power to spend tax dollars without representation from the citizens, A majority of those serving on these authorities are appointed and all on the IBA also serve on the airport authority..

I surely hope and pray that the citizens of this County stand up and say enough no more need for these authorities let the elected folks spend our tax dollars.

Don't forget this is a ploy by the commissioners to circumvent a pending law suit, We should demand that the citizens of this county have their day it court.

If you care about the future of Paulding attend this meeting Thursday at 6:00 pm

• Like 4

pubby

Ha! You are so funny! I guess you are hoping instead of a citizen steering committee, you just want another arm of the government. Guess what, you don't always get what you want.

Oh and BTW, I have no desire to sit on that committee, the "arranged" one. I have more important tasks at hand. ;)

I wonder how long the appointments will be for? Will they lock the committee for 2 years or more? Is there a law that controls how advisory committees can operate or is entirely up to the boc? Why cancel their regular meeting them call this one? Lots of questions on this action.

I wonder how long the appointments will be for? Will they lock the committee for 2 years or more? Is there a law that controls how advisory committees can operate or is entirely up to the boc? Why cancel their regular meeting them call this one? Lots of questions on this action.

Come to the meeting and let's ask those questions. There are a bunch of us going.

The Ponytail Patriot gets it. :D

Since the beginning of the airport expansion kerfuffle last fall, one thing I have heard consistently from people is how the Paulding County Airport Authority (PCAA) and the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority (IBA) have no accountability to the citizens. These two entities are run by unelected boards and are funded primarily with taxpayer money, yet the citizens have no voice in their meetings and/or say in what projects are undertaken. So how can we fight their uncontrolled spending on projects not wanted? We ask for a “citizen study committee”. Yeah…that is going to work out well.

On June 5, 2014 at 6 p.m. the Paulding County Board of Commissioners will hold a special meeting to address the organization of “citizen study committees” for the PCAA and IBA. The problem is…the same people who appointed the members of the board to these two entities are also the people who will appoint citizens to the study committees. Each commissioner will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee” and the Paulding Chamber of Commerce will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee”. So essentially, we are getting foxes appointed to watch the hen houses. NICE!

What is the point of having a “citizen study committee” if we’re just going to get the same type of folks appointed? There is no point. This is a waste of time and energy. Why is it a waste of time and energy? Because Chairman Austin, who likes to blame Delta for everything, is going to appoint Larry Reinhart, the pro-expansion crowd’s most vocal citizen, to the PCAA study committee. Hmmm…so Mr. Austin is appointing someone who agrees that Delta is to blame for everything.

Mr. Austin is just one who will be appointing individuals to these citizen study committees. As stated above, the other 4 commissioners and the Chamber of Commerce get to appoint individuals as well. Considering what Chairman Austin is planning, I don’t hold out a lot of hope the others will choose individuals that are neutral in the airport kerfuffle. And that is what makes these study committees a complete waste of time and energy.

And why are we allowing anyone who sits on either of those boards appoint anyone to a “citizen study committee” who is supposed to be holding them somewhat accountable? Oh that really makes a huge amount of sense! That makes as much sense as allowing someone on probation to choose their own probation officer. Just brilliant!

And to add insult to injury, our brilliant Chairman and BOC has decided to announce this meeting that is open to the public only 2 days in advance and NOT to allow any public participation. So, they get to arbitrarily pick whoever they want without any public input at all when the whole point is to make the PCAA and the IBA more accountable to the public. Well isn’t that just the icing on the cake?

I’m sick and tired of the same group of people appointing their buddies to unelected boards and committees. Rather than making the process more transparent and allowing for more accountability, they are just muddying the waters of an already shady process. Enough already! The Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Commissioners need to step down off the pedestals they have put themselves on and look for people who will look at the issues objectively and tell the truth. Stop dealing from the bottom of the deck and just play the cards you are dealt. This is taxpayer’s money they are playing with, and cronyism and personal wants should NOT be the main priority.

Author: Candi Goldman

http://ponytailpatriot.com/section-blog/248-foxes-will-watch-foxes-cooking-chicken

Citizens steering committee is for the purpose of proposing legislation, so the IBA and the Paulding County Airport Authority to pretty much do anything and everything with our tax dollars that they desire..... Case in point is the million dollar loan that the IBA loaned to the airport authority that presently is being contested in the superior court of Paulding County, and is being delayed until such time that the constitutional amendment can be changed.

This committee was hatched at a BOC meeting after the failed attempt by David Austin to secretly change the Constitutional Amendment that created the Industrial Building Authority.(Video of this meeting is available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5kg8eM5_U

The conversation starts on this video around 15.41 minutes and is pretty long to the conclusion. To get the full impact of this video please look at this to the conclusion and look at the facial expressions of one of the commissioners (David) at the end of the conversation on this issue

Keep in mind that this video was for the 2/14/2014 Board of Commissioners meeting and no one seems to nothing anything about this proposed resolution, Fact is it was acknowledge at this meeting that the neither the IBA or the PCAA had taken action on any resolution and did not until the following IBA and PCAA meetings held the following week Wednesday 2/19/2014

The next video was for the Board of Commissioners meeting held on2/25/2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1unv7BnX8Tw&feature=em-share_video_user

The conversation on this starts around 13.50 minutes and it really brings out the true intent of the Board of Commissioners the IBA and the Airport authority

It is obvious that House Represenative Howard Maxwell had already received the proposed legislation on 2/6/2014 before the Board of commissioners had passed it as well as the IBA and the Airport authority, how did this happen…. Someone had to direct this action, and could only be one person and that would be a commissioner ,And it could only be a commissioner who attended the hearing based on the conversations in the video. And to my recollection David Austin was the only Commissioner at the hearing with that authority

To give these APPOINTED AUTHORITIES unlimited authority to spend tax dollars without allowing the citizens of this County to vote for or against the members of these two authorities is something that will only create more chaos within this county and should be avoided if at all possible.

The videos plainly show that the Board of Commissioners have no control over the IBA or the Airport Authority.

Why give them ,more ways to waste our tax dollars?

The sound Guy

Does she though?

---

The problem is…the same people who appointed the members of the board to these two entities are also the people who will appoint citizens to the study committees. Each commissioner will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee” and the Paulding Chamber of Commerce will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee”.

And why are we allowing anyone who sits on either of those boards appoint anyone to a “citizen study committee” who is supposed to be holding them somewhat accountable? Oh that really makes a huge amount of sense!

I’m sick and tired of the same group of people appointing their buddies to unelected boards and committees.

---

The problem that PP fails to see is that there's no one else—no other body—that can appoint a committee like this. If not the commissioners, who then? Give each church pastor a selection? Each school principal? Each city council? (Well, the latter could work since they were elected by the public to weigh choices and make decisions in the best interest of the public.)

There's no way to fairly find groups of proponents and opponents of the airport and pick a handful from each group to serve on this committee. You can't staff half the committee with proponents and the other half with proponents, for instance, because that's not necessarily the way public opinion breaks down on this (it also ignores those on the fence).

You also can't stack the committee with members of any one group, because there's no way to adequately determine

And you can't give the recently elected commissioners a say-so in this matter. For one, their terms have not yet begun. Two, a question could come up on their residency or qualifications before Jan. 1, or they could decide to move out of their respective districts or otherwise choose to resign from their newly won seat (and wouldn't you have a problem if a winning candidate resigns after appointing someone to this committee?). And three, giving those newly elected folks such power would undermine the power of those currently in power, as well as the will of the people who elected those commissioners to serve the entirety of their terms.

On a related note, I'd have to imagine that each commissioner will have to appoint someone who lives in their district. Yes, it may not be your guy or gal getting the nomination, but they'll at least be your neighbor. Those commissioners are your neighbors too, in case you forgot.

Does she though?

---

The problem is…the same people who appointed the members of the board to these two entities are also the people who will appoint citizens to the study committees. Each commissioner will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee” and the Paulding Chamber of Commerce will appoint one person to each “citizen study committee”.

And why are we allowing anyone who sits on either of those boards appoint anyone to a “citizen study committee” who is supposed to be holding them somewhat accountable? Oh that really makes a huge amount of sense!

I’m sick and tired of the same group of people appointing their buddies to unelected boards and committees.

---

The problem that PP fails to see is that there's no one else—no other body—that can appoint a committee like this. If not the commissioners, who then? Give each church pastor a selection? Each school principal? Each city council? (Well, the latter could work since they were elected by the public to weigh choices and make decisions in the best interest of the public.)

There's no way to fairly find groups of proponents and opponents of the airport and pick a handful from each group to serve on this committee. You can't staff half the committee with proponents and the other half with proponents, for instance, because that's not necessarily the way public opinion breaks down on this (it also ignores those on the fence).

You also can't stack the committee with members of any one group, because there's no way to adequately determine

And you can't give the recently elected commissioners a say-so in this matter. For one, their terms have not yet begun. Two, a question could come up on their residency or qualifications before Jan. 1, or they could decide to move out of their respective districts or otherwise choose to resign from their newly won seat (and wouldn't you have a problem if a winning candidate resigns after appointing someone to this committee?). And three, giving those newly elected folks such power would undermine the power of those currently in power, as well as the will of the people who elected those commissioners to serve the entirety of their terms.

On a related note, I'd have to imagine that each commissioner will have to appoint someone who lives in their district. Yes, it may not be your guy or gal getting the nomination, but they'll at least be your neighbor. Those commissioners are your neighbors too, in case you forgot.

This was brought up by citizens over the last several months. We didn't want the BOC to form this committee, they took it upon themselves to do this. We just want them to hear what we are saying, not give us another useless committee they control. If this is their answer to what we've been saying they truly haven't heard a thing we've said.

• Like 2

This was brought up by citizens over the last several months. We didn't want the BOC to form this committee, they took it upon themselves to do this. We just want them to hear what we are saying, not give us another useless committee they control. If this is their answer to what we've been saying they truly haven't heard a thing we've said.

Tundra:

Face it, you want David Austin to run the county the way you want it run without you having the responsibility.

Clearly that is not going to happen and I, for one, am glad that neither you, Whitey, Thad or Patti are in charge.

pubby

Does she though?

---

---

Hey nice green I have a novel idea on how to resolve the entire issue, lets treat it just like the first constitutional amendment that created the Industrial Building Authority.

Once the proposed language changes are agreed upon place the items on the ballot in the November 2014 General election to be ratified by the eligible voters in Paulding County.

Nothing wrong with letting the voters have the final say, if it passes then ask the General Assembly to enact it into law..... If it fails then eliminate the Industrial Building Authority and the Paulding County Airport authority, and defund all the entities that are connected to these two authorities..

Tundra:

Face it, you want David Austin to run the county the way you want it run without you having the responsibility.

Clearly that is not going to happen and I, for one, am glad that neither you, Whitey, Thad or Patti are in charge.

pubbyt

Patti put the butt hurt on you. so she still stands a chance

• Like 2

Tundra:

pubby

and obviously not many wanted you in charge ...according to the votes

• Like 1

and obviously not many wanted you in charge ...according to the votes

Tundra:

pubby

Face it Pubby, DA will run it the way he wants to and won't have a job come next year. Clearly the people have had enough of bullying. You fail to realize, along with many others, I'm in control in the voting booth.

Edited by tundra
  • Like 2