Paulding.com

Kids 12 and under...........

I'm having a small problem with this.......well, actually, it's a 'big' problem. Middleschooler is 5'7", 135 lbs AND he's 12. The issue is, is that when we go places and 'kids 12 and under' eat free or have reduced price admission, etc., people don't believe he's only 12 and either question me very suspiciously or deny any discount all together. I don't want to seem cheap and I don't want to carry around his birth certificate, but as long as he falls within the guidelines, I want to take advantage of whatever discounts available.

Tough one.

I think maybe I would carry a copy of his birth certificate, then when questioned I would ask, "As his mother who gave life to him, I say he is 12 and you say he is not. If I prove he is 12, then you can give us both the discount. Otherwise I suggest you take my word for it and just give him the discount."

• Like 1

I'm having a small problem with this.......well, actually, it's a 'big' problem. Middleschooler is 5'7", 135 lbs AND he's 12. The issue is, is that when we go places and 'kids 12 and under' eat free or have reduced price admission, etc., people don't believe he's only 12 and either question me very suspiciously or deny any discount all together. I don't want to seem cheap and I don't want to carry around his birth certificate, but as long as he falls within the guidelines, I want to take advantage of whatever discounts available.

I had the same problem with my son. By the time he turned 12 he was already taller than me. Those places where we are regulars knew that he really was 12 and gave me the discount. But you're not being cheap. Take the advantage everywhere you can.

Tough one.

I think maybe I would carry a copy of his birth certificate, then when questioned I would ask, "As his mother who gave life to him, I say he is 12 and you say he is not. If I prove he is 12, then you can give us both the discount. Otherwise I suggest you take my word for it and just give him the discount."

I like that!! :)

I had the same problem with my son. By the time he turned 12 he was already taller than me. Those places where we are regulars knew that he really was 12 and gave me the discount. But you're not being cheap. Take the advantage everywhere you can.

Shooot, I have to because his clothes and shoes are breaking me. Not only that we now have to buy mens sizes, but he's outgrowing things faster than I can keep him in them.

I like that!! :)

Shooot, I have to because his clothes and shoes are breaking me. Not only that we now have to buy mens sizes, but he's outgrowing things faster than I can keep him in them.

Oh boy, I know that one. We were going through a pair of shoes every 2 months until I had to start about some really good quality shoes which cost an arm and a leg. But at least they're good for 6 months and then we have to buy a bigger size. And all the jeans... I don't want to know what boys do, really, but he goes through jeans every 4 weeks. Yep, I say save where and when you can!

I have the same problem with my daughter. She is only 11 but is already 5'4". She only a couple of inches behind me and wears the same size shoes. People look at us strange when we tell them she needs the kid's price. The adult clothes and shoes are expensive enough. I need the kids prices.

• Like 1

I don't recall my girls growing like this so quickly. He's grown just over 10 inchs since November. NOVEMBER. That's a lot, really fast, in my world. I bought him 31x30 jeans for Christmas and they were a little too long and a little loose after washing. They were too short and I mean above the ankle, by Valentines day. Luckily, his favorite jeans are Arizona skinny jeans from JCP and if I keep an eye out, they go on sale for $14.99. He's in a 32x34 now, the same size Hubby wore when we got married almost 30 years ago. The kid is huge, I swear!

When I was younger, my mother got me a wallet-sized birth certificate to carry with me. She got it through the dept. of vital records in another state. I believe she had to ask for one.

Maybe such is available here in Georgia?

Edited by Brian

When I was younger, my mother got me a wallet-sized birth certificate to carry with me. She got it through the dept. of vital records in another state. I believe she had to ask for one.

Maybe such is available here in Georgia?

I never even thought of that, thank you. I know you can get birth records in Paulding at the courthouse now instead of having to go to County Farm rd in Cobb. I'll check that out tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would think carrying around a birth certificate that could become lost would be a hazard for ID theft. Maybe he could get a state ID card? My husband has both a driver's license and a state ID card. When he travels to plants around the country he uses the state ID card for entrance so that he doesn't accidentally leave his driver's license. Most everyone seems to accept it, except where a driver's license or birth certificate is absolutely needed. Do the kids these days have student ID cards from their schools and would one show proof of his age?

I would think carrying around a birth certificate that could become lost would be a hazard for ID theft. Maybe he could get a state ID card? My husband has both a driver's license and a state ID card. When he travels to plants around the country he uses the state ID card for entrance so that he doesn't accidentally leave his driver's license. Most everyone seems to accept it, except where a driver's license or birth certificate is absolutely needed. Do the kids these days have student ID cards from their schools and would one show proof of his age?

No student ID cards that I know of and I didn't think about ID theft. Drat!

Kids 12 and under?

Keep them away from me please. :lol:

Our 11 year old grand daughter eats like a horse! She laughs at the 12 and under free menu. HA-HA-HA! Luckily she actually does look her age, although a smidge taller than others her age, but generally she looks like any other normal 11 year old girl. The girl can just EAT! :lol:

What, your kid is 12 and is satisfied with a kids meal? My 6 yo boy most any day can make mincemeat out of an adult meal.

Exactly what I am thinking!! My 11 yr old grandson eats an adult meal and then wants more!!

And yeah--the clothes and shoes thing--I blame on the ozone!! His feet are huge!! He is in a 9.5 adult Nike and his Dad only wears a 10.5!!

I was thinking the same thing as some of you. Our youngest DGD had her 10th birthday last Monday, Memorial Day. On Tuesday we took her, our 13 yr old DGD and their 12 year old friend to Folks. The 10 year old ate the BBQ ribs meal on the FREE childs menu, half of my mac & cheese, several corn nuggets and a chicken tender from each her sister and friend. That child LOVES to eat and her Pop and I LOVE to watch her eat. She throroughly enjoys food. :lol:

No student ID cards that I know of and I didn't think about ID theft. Drat!

I checked online. You CAN get him a state ID card even though he is a minor. Take the usual stuff, his certified birth certificate, your driver's license and SS card, maybe take his student record. The student record part wasn't clear, so I would call the driver's license office to find out what you need to bring and specify that he is a minor that needs an ID card.

I checked online. You CAN get him a state ID card even though he is a minor. Take the usual stuff, his certified birth certificate, your driver's license and SS card, maybe take his student record. The student record part wasn't clear, so I would call the driver's license office to find out what you need to bring and specify that he is a minor that needs an ID card.

Thank you for the info!

• Like 1