Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Dallas Bigfoot

Remodeling Bathroom

We want to take out our tub and existing small shower and make one big showerwith shower heads on both sides. Who do you recommend to do a professional job? Should it be plastic or all ceramic tiles?

I agree tile, if you like to clean grout and clean grout and clean grout. Looks soooooo much nicer but you have to clean the grout. :)

• Like 1

I agree tile, if you like to clean grout and clean grout and clean grout. Looks soooooo much nicer but you have to clean the grout. :)

and clean and clean...the fiberglass ones are a pain to clean as you can not use a lot of abrasive cleaners or even some brushes as they will scratch it and some says not to use bleach as it will pit the finish

Our entire downstairs is tile. Kitchen counters are porcelien tiles. Hot tub room is combo ceramic and porcelien.

Yes, as Tundra says, the grout will "age", and in showers/baths it can discolor.

We HAD a giant oversize fiberglass tub for years, with shower. Now that I can't move my hips well we are biding our time. Right now it is all I can do to climb in and out with hand rails, and we pray I don;t slip. God Forbid!!!!

If we stay here, we will rip it out [from the late 80s] and replace it with a walk in shower so I don't have to climb in and out, and if the problems persist after hip replacement we can wheel me in and out. I am not a happy camper about this, but willing to face the necessary facts. Its my own fault for my water skiing days as a teenager. Fun then, fun later, and now paying the price. The only good part is the Army turned me down in 1973 after my draft number came up at 13.....they gave me 1-Y, and would only take me in case of all out world war.

Tile is great if for no other reason you do know when it is cleaned well. I am a bug a phobic when it comes to bacteriium and where they can live and survive. It is not porous and when you clean it and disinfect it, it is clean. Tile is the best option if you really want to be able to clean everything to the point it can be swabbed, cultured, and no remaining colony forming units of bacterium [CFU].

I love it in the kitchen, with my stainless steel backspashes, hood, etc. When it is clean, it is CLEAN!!!

I have a tile guy who you can pm me for contact info. He did all of the old El Jallapenos, now Jalapeno Joes, and some other local dining places. He is great, but if you are only looking for the best price, dont bother him. He is more expensive and worth every penny, and will let you know when you are asking for something he knows you will not be happy with down the road.

He works exclusively with high end builders and his stable of old clients. But if you want it one right, he will take care of you.

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

We just did this. My husband has dementia, so I wanted the tub gone. Got a 3 piece shower enclosure from Lowe's

10151263_10202337297568798_1021046388_n.

Easier to install, easy to clean.

They now have a product that you add to the grout when you put the tile in that resists mold growth. No longer have to paint it on after you grout and it is supposed to work a lot better.

I suggest a toilet.

ETA, oh oh a bidet also.

I want me a bidet soooooooo bad.

I know rite?

Ain't no better feelin' than a freshly warshed butt!

CanIgetAhallelujah?

We built this house and did all tub surrounds, showers and bathroom floors in tile... First housewe did this way, previously we had fiberglass... Can't say I would ever do the tile again. Spend all that Money for something more difficult to keep clean, more likely to leak in time and end up hiding behind a curtain. A lot do it to impress and for what? no one sees it...

I know rite?

CanIgetAhallelujah?

A-men!

My granny from Aladambama used to say warshed.

I suggest a toilet.

ETA, oh oh a bidet also.

Forget the bidet. Takes up too much room along with requiring extra plumbing.

Just say TOTO. It has a butt warmer too. Also, no paper needed. It washes and drys to make you a happy, happy guy. :)

Forget the bidet. Takes up too much room along with requiring extra plumbing.

Just say TOTO. It has a butt warmer too. Also, no paper needed. It washes and drys to make you a happy, happy guy. :)

Had to look it up.

Neat.

I need to save a lot of nickles to get to $350, but it may be worth it.

Hmmm, I guess I need $700, otherwise I will never get the wife out of my bathroom.

Had to look it up.

Neat.

I need to save a lot of nickles to get to $350, but it may be worth it.

Hmmm, I guess I need $700, otherwise I will never get the wife out of my bathroom.

Nah. It's more like this one, http://www.totousa.com/Washlet/B200.aspx

However, there is the thought that if you have to plug in a toilet......you don't need it. It was given to us as a gag. Something about my husband being a perfect AH so he needed a toilet that befitted him. Nice gag gift huh?

ETA: if you get this model. Say goodbye to your wife. :)

Nah. It's more like this one, http://www.totousa.com/Washlet/B200.aspx

However, there is the thought that if you have to plug in a toilet......you don't need it. It was given to us as a gag. Something about my husband being a perfect AH so he needed a toilet that befitted him. Nice gag gift huh?

ETA: if you get this model. Say goodbye to your wife. :)

We looked at that one, as well as the one that lifts the lid by itself when you approach, does everything for you, flushes and then closes the lid when you leave.

I'm not sure, but I think it also did windows.

We looked at that one, as well as the one that lifts the lid by itself when you approach, does everything for you, flushes and then closes the lid when you leave.

I'm not sure, but I think it also did windows.

Yup, it's pretty different. The lid going up by itself has startled a few friends. LOL

I suggest a toilet.

ETA, oh oh a bidet also.

I know rite?

CanIgetAhallelujah?

I can think of about 47,000 other things I'd rather spend my money on.

I can think of about 47,000 other things I'd rather spend my money on.

You don't want a toilet?

You don't want a toilet?

Either that, or a freshly warshed bottom, one..

And I only want a Toto bidet seat if it plays "Carry on my Wayward Son" when I sit upon it.

Either that, or a freshly warshed bottom, one..

And I only want a Toto bidet seat if it plays "Carry on my Wayward Son" when I sit upon it.

LOL. Never heard of one that plays music. Well,........not instrumental music anyway.

To the OP, sorry we are high jacking your topic. I did and would pick tile.

LOL. Never heard of one that plays music.

Toto > Dorothy > Oz > Kevin Bacon > BLT > Home > Kansas > Carry On...

Game. Set. Match. :crazy:

• Like 2

Toto > Dorothy > Oz > Kevin Bacon > BLT > Home > Kansas > Carry On...

Game. Set. Match. :crazy:

You are correct. One way or another.....you are correct. :)