Paulding.com

New hospital ER

Friend had to take her son to the new ER this week. I mentioned the pediatric part so she found the entrance and went inside. They got there around 10:00 p.m. and there were only two other kids ahead. Well, 11:00 rolled around and they were moved to the adult ER. They close at 11:00 and they mean 11:00! I guess I'm accustomed to urgent care centers where they cut off incoming patients at a certain time but will still see whomever is still waiting, but not there! They waited 3 hours, her son in obvious pain (and broken arm with obvious bend where there's not supposed to be a bend) and finally got treatment. To make matters worse, the local 24-hour pharmacy had computer problems so they couldn't fill the rx for pain meds either! Luckily he's feeling better and will see an orthopaedist to have the cast put on tomorrow!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what you are saying is the government can't legislate common sense? I wonder why they keep trying.                     .

The new hospital building is wonderful, full of new technology.   But when you bring the old staff from the old hospital with the same attitude, nothing can make the hospital work like it's supposed

You can build a multi-million dollar building and put all the high tech equipment in it those millions can buy but that doesn't make it a better hospital. When I was there 2 weeks ago I had one excel

They moved all the staff to the new hospital.

I didn't expect it to change much or improve. There was nothing about the old hospital that caused

the staff to be any better or worse.

It was the staff and the hospital administration that caused the issues in the old hospital.

• Like 3

You can build a multi-million dollar building and put all the high tech equipment in it those millions can buy but that doesn't make it a better hospital. When I was there 2 weeks ago I had one excellent nurse but the other one needs to find another profession. The ER doctor was very good and her diagnosis was confirmed when I was transferred to Kennestone. On another note, not that it matters but the ER doctors are not employees of Wellstar.

I hope the staff can be brought up the the standards of the other hospitals in the area. Until then it will remain just "Paulding Hospital" with the same old reputation.

• Like 4

I was in the ER back in April with a high temp. and some sort of virus. they gave me a IV an got my temp down to 99. sent me home with pain meds and anti nausea meds. Next day my temp was higher at 103 felt like was gonna die. anyway went to my GP the other day she pulled up my labs and ask if they wanted to admit me, I said no and she said she was surprised they didn't since labs showed I was septic. Next trip to ER will be to Tanner.

Edited by OSU
  • Like 2

I wondered when somebody was gonna get around to noticing this. You could have an ER in a tent with Grady's ER personnel and you'd be just fine. I have NOT been impressed with any of the Wellstar facilities.

Grady is what it is in other areas, but their ER and NICU are the best. If I'm ever hurt bad, send me to Grady and then when I'm better, transfer me to Piedmont. ;)

• Like 2

The new hospital building is wonderful, full of new technology.

But when you bring the old staff from the old hospital with the same attitude, nothing can make the hospital work like it's supposed to.

Very sad indeed.

• Like 4

I've always has good experiences and excellent care at the old PC hospital. But I have no idea what got lost in translation at the new facility, even with all of it's newfangled, state of the art equipment, the care is substandard at best. It's been a real disappointment.

• Like 1

Love, Love, Love Piedmont!!!

Was very impressed with Piedmont until we spent EIGHT HOURS in the emergency room on the last day of my Dad's life. His idiot doctor insisted he go there for a cat scan instead of coming to the office for an examination (at Piedmont) because my Dad was having a stomach issue (which turned out to be nothing and the doctor would have known that if he had seen my Dad instead of pushing him to go to the emergency room). My Dad was so stressed out from the ordeal, worried they were going to admit him, and so tired from the long hours there --- he passed away that night in his sleep. I am convinced he was having heart attack symptoms the entire day, but no one picked up on it including myself until I started remembering how he said he was feeling later in the day. He could have gotten better and faster treatment at a vet's office. :angry:

I'll continue to go to Rome, Redmond. It's no further for me than Piedmont. The doctors and staff are top notch. I gave up Wellstar 2 1/2 years ago when I was diagosed with kidney cancer and the ER turned it in to the insurance company as a UTI, urethra was clogged from blood clotting, there was A LOT of blood . Yea, the insurance company didn't want to pay that bill for a UTI. I don't even want to talk about my visit with the urologist.

My parents went to the new Paulding hospital today for a heart scan, both of them. It was a preventative measure. I can't wait to do fun things like that with my husband when we grow older : D. Anyway, my mom raved about it. She said it was a great experience and they love the new hospital.

• Like 1

My best friend went to Paulding ER a few times with her stomach and abdomen hurting. Each and every time they sent her home, saying she had a stomach virus. WHAT SHE HAD WAS PANCREATIC CANCER AND THOSE LOW LIFES DIDN'T RUN TESTS. She finally went to Kennestone Hospital, where they caught it, but to late. My BF was diagnosed in April/May and passed away on November 1st, 2011....6 months later.

My best friend went to Paulding ER a few times with her stomach and abdomen hurting. Each and every time they sent her home, saying she had a stomach virus. WHAT SHE HAD WAS PANCREATIC CANCER AND THOSE LOW LIFES DIDN'T RUN TESTS. She finally went to Kennestone Hospital, where they caught it, but to late. My BF was diagnosed in April/May and passed away on November 1st, 2011....6 months later.

Is there a reason she didn't just go to a doctor? Just wondering.

That happened to my FIL. Doc treated him for a lung infection and drained fluid off the lungs; after the 3rd surgery MIL insisted on a better facility. They transferred him to the Cleveland Clinic where another surgery was performed and stage IV cancer was diagnosed. He died 11 days later. So sorry about the loss of your friend. They were probably in the same boat as my FIL; went to the doctor, got some temporary relief, same symptoms and went for the same treatment until a better place does better testing to find the truth. Cancer sucks.

So you mean to tell me the new hospital does not a have a 24 hour emergency room for pediatrics?

No. It's only open until 11:00 and after that everyone can use the main ER.

Is there a reason she didn't just go to a doctor? Just wondering.

Yes, she had a regular doctor. He thought it was her gallbladder.

I, personally, am still annoyed that they do not have labor and delivery. Why should I have to drive 45 minutes in labor either to Cartersville or Kennestone when Paulding is 5 minutes down the road?

Kennestone is an EXCELLENT hospital to have your baby!!

Both our grandkids were born at the Wellstar Cobb Womens Center and came out fine.

I, personally, am still annoyed that they do not have labor and delivery. Why should I have to drive 45 minutes in labor either to Cartersville or Kennestone when Paulding is 5 minutes down the road?

• Like 1

Yes, she had a regular doctor. He thought it was her gallbladder.

Wow, that is sad. I'm surprised they didn't do tests for her pancreas. After testing the gallbladder and ruling that out, of course.

Liability Ins. on delivering babies is the most expensive and most hospitals are not willing to furnish the really expensive Ins & the equipment for premies & high risk patient delivery

Wow, that is sad. I'm surprised they didn't do tests for her pancreas. After testing the gallbladder and ruling that out, of course.

THANK YOU!!! I have been wondering about that till this day. They were right there, how hard would it be to see a pancreas in the 3rd stages of Cancer. That's what she was in when they finally found it.

Oh, and one more thing....THEY TOOK OUT HER GALLBLADDER!!!!

I was in the ER back in April with a high temp. and some sort of virus. they gave me a IV an got my temp down to 99. sent me home with pain meds and anti nausea meds. Next day my temp was higher at 103 felt like was gonna die. anyway went to my GP the other day she pulled up my labs and ask if they wanted to admit me, I said no and she said she was surprised they didn't since labs showed I was septic. Next trip to ER will be to Tanner.

I've heard horror stories from Tanner as well, both locations, actually. I think I"d choose Carrollton over Villa Rica, though!! But, then again, I'd still go to Douglas Wellstar first.

wow. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's sad that the place where one should feel safe and cared for has become a money making industry ,with little care for the patient.
  • Like 1

You can blame the lack of maternity care, etc for Georgia being a Certificate of Need State (CON).. To build the hospital, WellStar had to go thru the CON approval process to get the beds, if they want certain type of specialized equipment over a certain dollar amount-- CON Approval needed, want to have specialized services- heart, maternity, etc-- need a separate CON approval to offer those services. Having worked in Development for a hospital system, I can tell you it is an expensive, political process to obtain one, especially when other hospital systems are fighting you bringing that service to market.

• Like 1

Line Winston said, getting a certificate of need for a birthing center is political and expensive. There are too many other hospitals around that already do that and they would not sign off on allowing another one at Paulding. Can't blame Paulding Hospital for that because we tried and were shot down.

The biggest problem is staffing. We are just not staffed with enough people because, like it or not, no one expected this many people when the plans first went into place and budgets are set years before, not a few months before. While it is easy to say there was poor planning by at the system level (and there certainly was!) it's not fair to blame the hospital when we were only given the staff budget for half the patients we're seeing. We are at capacity now. We're full. There is just so much money to go around and with 5 hospitals and Urgent Care Centers, business decisions have to be made.

It used to not be like this but when you run it like a business, this is what happens. This is what happens with larger systems and Paulding is not a small town hospital anymore.

My stent in HC was in long term acute and rehab, but my understanding is that maternity is often many hospitals bread and butter, very profitable and ends up subsidizing other areas. So adding maternity will be a long drawn out process and I am sure that Wellstar with maternity facilities nearby may not be willing to impact their other facilities average daily census by drawing from Paulding, which I imagine is many of these facilities primary and secondary service areas. I'd dare say a decade for maternity services in Paulding, or longer.

My doctor does not deliver at Kennestone, only at Cartersville Medical. Is it even technically a real hospital?

It is indeed a real hospital and is now affiliated with Redmond in Rome. Being from Rome originally, I can tell you that Rome has some of the best medical care in the state outside of Atlanta and Augusta. Redmond is a great hospital and if Cartersville is associated with it, I personally would not hesitate to use them. Wait time in the ER just now when I looked at their site was 7 minutes. ;)

Cartersville Medical Center - Working Together For You - Cartersville Medical Center | Cartersville, GA

http://cartersvillemedical.com/

• Like 2

You can blame the lack of maternity care, etc for Georgia being a Certificate of Need State (CON).. To build the hospital, WellStar had to go thru the CON approval process to get the beds, if they want certain type of specialized equipment over a certain dollar amount-- CON Approval needed, want to have specialized services- heart, maternity, etc-- need a separate CON approval to offer those services. Having worked in Development for a hospital system, I can tell you it is an expensive, political process to obtain one, especially when other hospital systems are fighting you bringing that service to market.

And to think, my mother and her 11 brothers and sisters were born at home.

How did they ever do it without the government helping?

I have never had a bad problem with The PC Hospital in the 50 years I have been going to it.

When I was about three I even taken to the old wooden Dallas Hospital that was on Main Street.

I have watched the hospital grow from a small one story building to the now new hospital in

Hiram. I would like to thank all the Doctors, Nurses and other people that have worked there

in the last 50 years.