Paulding.com

No Toxic dump behind Hiram Elementary

Ron Crist is at it again folks! Ron Crist of Crist Roofing, Crist Construction, Crist Dumpsters, has asked Paulding County to amend the current zoning text to allow him to open & operate a dump site / hazardous waste site in the City of Hiram. You may recall he tried to have his property rezoned back in January 2014 but withdrew his application after much public backlash. Now in lieu of requesting a rezoning of his property he has quietly asked that Paulding Co agree to allow him to operate a dump site / hazardous waste side at his Duncan Circle location under the current zoning. He wants a hazardous waste site to be penciled in as an acceptable business! Keep in mind this site backs up to Hiram Elementary School and is surrounded by residential properties! Ron Crist started a dumpster business but wants to saddle the costs of doing business on the backs of Hiram property owners & residents. He wants to truck in waste from all of Metro Atlanta and beyond, dump it, sort it, store it, sell it, truck it back out of Hiram. The waste will include wood products, asphalt, drywall, concrete, bricks, metals, plastics, paper, contaminated earth, shingles, insulation, carpet, tile. Keep in mind that many of these products will contain asbestos, lead, mold, pollutants, and high concentrations of petroleum by-products.

Our children, our homes, and our health are the biggest investments in our life. Do you want to raise your children next to a dump site? Do you want your children to attend school next to a dump site? Would you want to buy a home next to a dump site? There is absolutely no way to control what goes into dumpsters and then trucked into our neighborhoods! If this dump site is approved it would mean:

*Immediate and long term exposure to toxins / pollutants/ hazardous materials for children attending Hiram Elementary School and area residents.
*Immediate and permanent reduction in property values.
*Decrease in tax base for the City of Hiram due to decreased property values and loss of future businesses coming to Hiram.
*Significant noise pollution.
*Significant increase in traffic and wear/tear on neighborhood roads due to heavy trucks hauling waste to and from the dump site.
*Possible surface and ground water contamination from the site.There are creeks surrounding this property from which Hiram residents get their drinking water.
*Decrease in air quality. Increase in dust and airborne allergens/irritants/spores/pollutants.
*Debris will contain asbestos, lead paint, mold, petroleum by-products, and many other hazardous materials.
* Basically anything that can be put into a dumpster will be brought into our neighborhoods.
*Immediate and permanent decline in our quality of life.

There is a meeting scheduled for Tuesday May 27, 2014 @ 2pm at 240 Constitution Blvd., 2nd floor, Dallas, GA 30132. If you are able to attend please do so. Also, please let your positions be known by contacting:

Paulding Planning & Zoning Chris Robinson - crobinson@paulding.gov

Mayor City of Hiram - Doris Devey
ddevey@hiram-ga.gov

Hiram City Manager - Robbie Rokovitz -
rrokovitz@hiram-ga.gov

City Operations Manager - Jody Palmer
jpalmer@hiram-ga.gov

Mayor Pro Tem - Prather Rollins
prollins@hiram-ga.gov

Post 2 Kathy Bookout -
kbookout@hiram-ga.gov

Post 3 - Teresa Philyaw
tphilyaw@hiram-ga.gov

Post 4 - Derrick Battle
dbattle@hiram-ga.gov

Post 5 Kathy Carter -
kcarter@hiram-ga.gov

Between this, the potential quality of life issues associated with the commercialization of the airport, the inevitable waste incinerator by the airport that is permissible under the Airport Overlay and has been discussed since 2004 and the reservoir being built adjacent and/or over natural gas and petro transmission pipelines I want out. This is going to make Clayton County a fabulous place to live in comparison to Paulding.

Edited by winston1972
  • Like 3

I'm going to share this on my FB. Wow, I can't believe this guy is trying to do this so close to homes, school and other businesses. He and his company will never see a dime of my money if I ever need a service his company offers.

• Like 1

If he gets what he wants, I wonder if he pans to set up a crusher to resell all of the concrete and asphalt he plans to bring in? Those things are loud and definitely NOT what needs to in or around a school or homes.

• Like 1

Remember, Crist Roofing bought Hiram PD a brand NEW cruiser a couple of years ago............................. just saying

Remember, we (the voters) voted "NO" on the Airport, and you see where that got us!! We, also voted for a Firemans Fund (for a lack of a better word) and I'd bet the firemen didn't get one penny of that money and WHERE'D THAT MOENY GO TO?????

• Like 1

Remember, Crist Roofing bought Hiram PD a brand NEW cruiser a couple of years ago............................. just saying

Remember, we (the voters) voted "NO" on the Airport, and you see where that got us!! We, also voted for a Firemans Fund (for a lack of a better word) and I'd bet the fireman didn't get one penny of that money and WHERE'D THAT MOENY GO TO?????

Umm, isn't that considered bribery?

• Like 2

Umm, isn't that considered bribery?

To me, It's considered................................. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!!!!! or showing favortism or how many "OTHER" ways can we say it??? I'd also call it, DIRTY ROTTEN POLITICS.................................

• Like 3

I have been accused of being "Anti Growth".

I am "Anti Dump" too.

Just like I have friends scared of Commercial Airplanes in their back yards in West Paulding, I have friends scared of Dumps in their back yards in Hiram.

I will tell the Mayor of Hiram my opposition before the hearing and I will be at the hearing to show my support for my friends.

• Like 4

Does he have to get permission from Paulding County or the city of Hiram only? And the cruiser raised questions when it was bought. I guess he thought if he waited long enough, people would forget about that. In the long run, won't this actually hurt his business? Whether it's approved or not, I'd NEVER do business with someone who was trying to do something like this. EVER. Not a smart move on his part on many different levels, IMO.

• Like 2

Does he have to get permission from Paulding County or the city of Hiram only? And the cruiser raised questions when it was bought. I guess he thought if he waited long enough, people would forget about that. In the long run, won't this actually hurt his business? Whether it's approved or not, I'd NEVER do business with someone who was trying to do something like this. EVER. Not a smart move on his part on many different levels, IMO.

Looks as if the meeting is at the commissioners meeting room so I would say It has to be approved by the County Commissioners only..... It would not be a bad idea to contact Doris Devey (mayor of Hiram) to voice your compliant to also. Since she is on the Airport Board she probably is also in favor of this toxic dump, She is a avid supporter of the Airport expansion...Heck Hiram appears to be right in the glide path, can't wait til them 737's start buzzing Hiram

• Like 1

Looking at Google Maps it appears it will be on Duncan Circle in Hiram. Also it looks like homes on both sides of a street separate this site from Hiram Elementary School.

I have read the actual request. I did read the original request that was withdrawn before it was heard by the Planning and Zoning Board.

I live in East Paulding and I am as opposed to this being here as my friends in Hiram are opposed to this being in their immediate neighborhood.

Looking at Google Maps it appears it will be on Duncan Circle in Hiram. Also it looks like homes on both sides of a street separate this site from Hiram Elementary School.

I have read the actual request. I did read the original request that was withdrawn before it was heard by the Planning and Zoning Board.

I live in East Paulding and I am as opposed to this being here as my friends in Hiram are opposed to this being in their immediate neighborhood.

Where can I read the request? I've looked online, but can't find anything.

Remember, we (the voters) voted "NO" on the Airport, and you see where that got us!! We, also voted for a Firemans Fund (for a lack of a better word) and I'd bet the fireman didn't get one penny of that money and WHERE'D THAT MOENY GO TO?????

If you're talking about the fire tax near the end of King Jerry's term, the money went into the general fund, so it was essentially just a tax increase. They upgraded the fire dept some and spent the rest as they wanted to. First and last tax I will ever vote for.

• Like 1

Thank you. The request states that no hazardous material or household trash will be accepted.Why does the original link above say that hazardous waste will be dumped at this site?

I did not write the original link. After 37 years of filling dumpsters I do know it's near impossible to police what is put into them.

After reading the request, I see it's as expected. The writer lied in the first sentence of the opinion piece piece and went on to put every scare tactic in the book into their article (short of nuclear contamination). How can he expect anyone to take him seriously?

It's a transfer facility not a DUMP, but an enclosed transfer facility and the request specifically excludes hazardous waste

If someone wanted to sneak hazardous waste into a Crist dumpster, they could just as easily sneak it into a school dumpster. Maybe we should petition to remove all dumpsters from near the schools.

• Like 1

I did not write the original link. After 37 years of filling dumpsters I do know it's near impossible to police what is put into them.

Oh, I know you didn't write it, it was from the Dallas Hiram Patch. I wonder why a reporter would write something untrue like that and try to get away with it. Just report the truth and get the information out there for the public to view and voice their thoughts. Yes, it is true that dumpsters are impossible to police, my husband is a pipe fitter and he's seen people dump all sorts of stuff in the bins.

After reading the request, I see it's as expected. The writer lied in the first sentence of the opinion piece piece and went on to put every scare tactic in the book into their article (short of nuclear contamination). How can he expect anyone to take him seriously?

It's a transfer facility not a DUMP, but an enclosed transfer facility and the request specifically excludes hazardous waste

If someone wanted to sneak hazardous waste into a Crist dumpster, they could just as easily sneak it into a school dumpster. Maybe we should petition to remove all dumpsters from near the schools.

Exactly.........

He is not trying to hurt the county in anyway.

Oh, I know you didn't write it, it was from the Dallas Hiram Patch. I wonder why a reporter would write something untrue like that and try to get away with it. Just report the truth and get the information out there for the public to view and voice their thoughts. Yes, it is true that dumpsters are impossible to police, my husband is a pipe fitter and he's seen people dump all sorts of stuff in the bins.

I believe this was an opinion piece, not a news article. If you click on the author's name, you will see other things posted by him in the Patch. He seems to be very anti-Crist, because that's all he writes about or comments on.

• Like 1

I believe this was an opinion piece, not a news article. If you click on the author's name, you will see other things posted by him in the Patch. He seems to be very anti-Crist, because that's all he writes about or comments on.

Ex-brother-in-law?

Just a joke, just a joke.

I do not know anyone involved in this deal, on any side.

If you're talking about the fire tax near the end of King Jerry's term, the money went into the general fund, so it was essentially just a tax increase. They upgraded the fire dept some and spent the rest as they wanted to. First and last tax I will ever vote for.

Thank You, Yes, that's what I was referring to. No, We won't be voting for such nonsense again, either.

The Patch is notorious for NOT getting the facts correct!!! Heck they can't even get their stories straight, on numerous articles. I had sent thm an email about a story, asking about the incorrect facts that the reporter had reported and I was NOT surprized when I didn't get a response!!!

Thank You, Yes, that's what I was referring to. No, We won't be voting for such nonsense again, either.

The Patch is notorious for NOT getting the facts correct!!! Heck they can't even get their stories straight, on numerous articles. I had sent thm an email about a story, asking about the incorrect facts that the reporter had reported and I was NOT surprized when I didn't get a response!!!

They need Jon back. He was good....

Transfer station, dump site, waste site, etc., same thing different words. I find the response by markdavd amusing -" he is a liar it is JUST a transfer station." How would you feel if a business wanted to start trucking in waste from all over Metro Atl and beyond, dumping it, sorting it, storing it, etc. in your backyard? There is absolutely no way to control what goes into a dumpster, and if you believe there is, you are delusional at best. This is a light industrial area backed up to an elementary school and surrounded by homes. This is not a heavy industrial area out in the middle of the boonies. This is a community which, up until Ron Crist's "pencil me in" proposal, has been growing nicely. If this dump site,transfer site, waste site is approved it will change the quality of life for people in Hiram as they now know it. Also, as respects anyone being anti-Crist, I personally would be anti-whomever proposed something like this! So easy for people who are not affected by it to jump in and comment on it.

Regardless of what is dumped, transferred, or whatever at the site, won't that be a very loud business backing up to a school in a residential neighborhood? Trucks going in and out, trucks being dumped, sorting of all types and then the removal of said 'waste'? This is not OK on so many levels. Let's upend the peaceful learning environment of little kids, sounds like a plan to me. A REALLY BAD plan, but a plan none the less.

• Like 3

Exactly! And to say "it's only a transfer station" is like saying "it's only an airport"..... the IMPACT of the project on the community is what it's all about. The noise, dust, vibrations, trucks etc. will be volatile not even considering what is brought in and out of the community on a daily basis.

• Like 3

Regardless of what is dumped, transferred, or whatever at the site, won't that be a very loud business backing up to a school in a residential neighborhood? Trucks going in and out, trucks being dumped, sorting of all types and then the removal of said 'waste'? This is not OK on so many levels. Let's upend the peaceful learning environment of little kids, sounds like a plan to me. A REALLY BAD plan, but a plan none the less.

How close is it to the Silver Comet Trail? Not far from what I heard.

How close is it to the Silver Comet Trail? Not far from what I heard.

If you 're worried about the SCT, you need to start a movement to get Metromont shut down. The cement dust the could put out would easily damage the lung of those on the trail.

While we're at it, why should a helicopter repair business be allowed to be in Hiram. One of those could easily crash into Hiram Elementary - I've seen flights to in that general direction a lot. We need to shut it down fast before something bad happens.

It is maybe a football field away from the trail. Markdavd, your response was one that can be anticipated.

Metromont is not in the school play yard or surrounded by homes....and IMO if that type of business was trying to move in today it probably would not be approved....

And you know they say airplanes/helicopters are actually safer then driving! BooYAH!

Edited by Hailey

If you 're worried about the SCT, you need to start a movement to get Metromont shut down. The cement dust the could put out would easily damage the lung of those on the trail.

While we're at it, why should a helicopter repair business be allowed to be in Hiram. One of those could easily crash into Hiram Elementary - I've seen flights to in that general direction a lot. We need to shut it down fast before something bad happens.

Be careful who you tell to start a movement. I think one just thundered through Paulding last night. Someone said not 10 people cared enough to start a movement. :ninja:

• Like 2

Mr. Crist's recycling center is about a block from my business. I have tried to be open to this, but I do have some serious concerns about it.

First off, I want to say that the letter above (I received one too) does exaggerate tremendously and reeks of a hit job. So I would suggest discounting it somewhat.

However...I spoke with Mr. Crist about it and was not satisfied with what I heard. Being a contractor myself, I knew what questions to ask. His answers were somewhat evasive and contradictory. The major concern I have is that he will not be using the dumpsters ONLY for his roofing business, he admitted that he would be renting them. He even admitted that he could not control what gets thrown into rental cans; so in reality, almost anything could be coming back to his facility.

His somewhat misleading candidacy last time (in reference to his actual residency which was in Cobb) and the fact that he donated a patrol car to Hiram PD leading up to this does not help my suspicions with regard to Mr. Crist. He also told me that he planned to run for Mayor of Hiram.

So form your own opinion, but as a neighboring businessman, I am concerned.

• Like 2

Mr. Crist's recycling center is about a block from my business. I have tried to be open to this, but I do have some serious concerns about it.

First off, I want to say that the letter above (I received one too) does exaggerate tremendously and reeks of a hit job. So I would suggest discounting it somewhat.

However...I spoke with Mr. Crist about it and was not satisfied with what I heard. Being a contractor myself, I knew what questions to ask. His answers were somewhat evasive and contradictory. The major concern I have is that he will not be using the dumpsters ONLY for his roofing business, he admitted that he would be renting them. He even admitted that he could not control what gets thrown into rental cans; so in reality, almost anything could be coming back to his facility.

His somewhat misleading candidacy last time (in reference to his actual residency which was in Cobb) and the fact that he donated a patrol car to Hiram PD leading up to this does not help my suspicions with regard to Mr. Crist. He also told me that he planned to run for Mayor of Hiram.

So form your own opinion, but as a neighboring businessman, I am concerned.

It's OK to be concerned based on the facts and first hand impressions, and go get folks to join your side based on those facts and impressions.

It's quite another to put together a hit piece with the sole intent of forming a mob against someone. It's gotten so bad one of the folks who's bought into the 'toxic waste dump' had to resort to claiming I wrote things that I didn't write in order to further their cause.

I know nothing of Mr. Crist, except for what I have read here.

I do know this, that if you are going to have to deal with the city/county/state for permits and approval of things, it doesn't help your public image if there are hints of tit for tat.

Same goes if you are going to run for office, giving things to the government that you wish to be head of, doesn't, as they say in court, give you the appearance of clean hands.

Let me be clear, it doesn't mean that you expect or want tat for your tit, but it does make people wonder.

BTW, in case you ever wondered, I know I did, a tit and a tat are words that were used in Britain during the Middle Ages and mean "small blows".

I would like to lay out the situation as I personally know it from the beginning. I was one of the original people involved with this dump site situation when it started the first time earlier this year. Ron Crist had posted Special Use Permit signs on his property on Duncan Circle. After research and contact with Paulding Co we were able to determine his intent which was to use the property as a waste site/dump site/transfer station, whatever word you personally prefer. As a group we distributed fliers and posted notices on community sites to make the public aware. A few days prior to the scheduled meeting with Paulding Co., Ron Crist withdrew his Special Use Permit application because he quickly realized it was not sitting well with Hiram residents.

Last month, quite by accident I stumbled over the fact that Ron Crist had filed paperwork with Paulding Co Planning and Zoning and asked them to "change the way the current zoning text read, to include his dump site, waste site, transfer station, as an acceptable business within the current zoning." Of course by doing this no notices had to be posted on his property informing the residents of Hiram what he was up to again. I contacted Paulding County Planning & Zoning about this (which was within days of the meeting where his application was to be heard - originally April 22nd) and asked them WHY nothing was posted, no word on the Paulding agenda website, etc. And low and behold, I was told it was a "clerical error". Imagine that, a clerical error. I then asked what had to be done to get the meeting postponed in order to give Hiram residents an opportunity to know what was going on in our backyard....I had to actually go to department heads to get a response, but the response I got was the meeting would be postponed from April 22nd to May 27th. I got the confirmation from Paulding Co Planning and Zoning on Thursday April 17 that the meeting would definitely be postponed. On Friday April 18th, who do you think showed up at my home ??? Ron Crist himself !! He was obviously upset because he had just been told that I had cost him that April 22nd meeting. Well, Ron Crist spent the next 35 minutes telling me how I was wrong, how he owned over half of Hiram, how I was going to lose, and how Paulding County Planning & Zoning had been guiding him through out this process. Of course, the part of him getting guidance from Paulding Co Planning in Zoning is something I cannot personally confirm. He just mentioned it throughout his rant to me.

Ron Crist wants to open a business that is normally considered heavy industrial in a light industrial neighborhood. Please keep in mind that if this text amendment were to be allowed, then going forward this type of business would have the green light to open in any light industrial area!

Why would a business person who claims to have the best intentions, quietly approach Paulding County Planning & Zoning to get a dump site/waste site/transfer station approved in our city? It does 100% back up to an elementary school, and it is surrounded by residential homes. I will tell you why, it is because Ron Crist cares about Ron Crist PERIOD. Paulding County will make a recommendation to The City of Hiram, and then the decision rests on the City Of Hiram Officials. It is up to the residents of Hiram and Paulding County to stop it. Please do your part NOW.

Edited by Truth be told
  • Like 3